Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

children watch children's movies repeatedly, memorize words and songs, news at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
if you're surprised by this then I guess you guys are so olde that they didn't even invented the vcr back when you were a kid

when I was a kid I loving loved Ghost Dad. watched this loving movie all the loving time

loving cosby :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

my sister was an au pair for the year that frozen was new, and after it came out on dvd the kids watched it every single day for like two months

is it true that "au pair" is french for "jailbait"?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

no, it's french for "the pair"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pepsi guerrilla advertising getting sneaky

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

if you're surprised by this then I guess you guys are so olde that they didn't even invented the vcr back when you were a kid

when I was a kid I loving loved Ghost Dad. watched this loving movie all the loving time

loving cosby :smith:

i watched star wars on vhs a poo poo-ton when i was a kid, but i don't think it was ever a daily event

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tangled had mandy moore

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_octopuses

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
that's worthless in a way that i hadn't quite anticipated but probably should have :japan:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's octopodes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

T
Tentacle erotica
Squidward Tentacles
Topo (DC Comics)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

prefect posted:

is it true that "au pair" is french for "jailbait"?

it's French for "equally" or "on a qui pro quo basis", I think

it's not really an expression you'd see in any other context. pair is the French for peer if I'm not mistaken

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, the non-literal meaning is close to "an equal". the idea is that an au pair is like an older child in the family, helps take care of the younger kids and cook and such, but is allowed to focus on her studies and other things that an older teenage girl would do. meant to be a cultural exchange experience, not a housekeeper or nanny.

in reality it's a way for well-off european families to get cheap nannies and housekeepers without having to risk getting one from africa or india

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also rich families on Long Island

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

theflyingorc posted:

yeah i don't think it's bad and the whole "hey your first crush might not be your True Love Fowever" is a super good message to get out to young girls

also doesn't elsa's chracter sort of show that you don't need some dude to be a complete person

i haven't seen the movie i just remember my ex girlfriend talking about it lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

also doesn't elsa's chracter sort of show that you don't need some dude to be a complete person

familial love best love

still waiting for the re-shoot of anne rice's sleeping beauty

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

uhh "the dream of the fisherman's wife" is based on a true story?? i saw the video once on redtube

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, the twist is that the handsome prince is a cynical fucker who was angling for power and that you can't trust men

it owns

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Keep_away&diff=680038317&oldid=678786074

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

duTrieux. posted:

yeah, the twist is that the handsome prince is a cynical fucker who was angling for power and that you can't trust men

it owns

it's really a takedown of every other disney plot, where the first handsome charming dude you meet doesn't turn out to be the person you're destined for, better throw your whole life away to be with him because you're so ~in love~

the guy who initially appears to be prince charming literally leaves here to die so he can become king, that part owns really hard

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

cant a movie NOT be a huge ethical discussion and destroying the old way of things, and instead just be something beautiful we can all masturbate too?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

1 = 44
1.7 = 50
:confused:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

Cybernetic Crumb
:yum:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
also the first one is just baffling, i have no clue how they managed to gently caress it up like that

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

theflyingorc posted:

it's really a takedown of every other disney plot, where the first handsome charming dude you meet doesn't turn out to be the person you're destined for, better throw your whole life away to be with him because you're so ~in love~

the guy who initially appears to be prince charming literally leaves here to die so he can become king, that part owns really hard

it's a good message and im glad my daughters saw it but the execution is def a little bit haphazard. there is an earlier scene where the evil prince legit tries to stop his men from killing elsa when nobody else was around. seems like he had no motivation to do that except to keep the twist hidden from the audience (or bc he was originally a good guy and they couldn't redo the scene, idk)

frozenchat

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's a good message and im glad my daughters saw it but the execution is def a little bit haphazard. there is an earlier scene where the evil prince legit tries to stop his men from killing elsa when nobody else was around. seems like he had no motivation to do that except to keep the twist hidden from the audience (or bc he was originally a good guy and they couldn't redo the scene, idk)

frozenchat

iirc you can see him look up and realize that if he hit the chandelier he could make her death look like an accident

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
not worthless, but tickles my :spergin: bone

The accuracy of the pyramid's workmanship is such that the four sides of the base have an average error of only 58 millimetres in length.[9] The base is horizontal and flat to within ±15 mm (0.6 in).[10] The sides of the square base are closely aligned to the four cardinal compass points (within four minutes of arc)[11] based on true north, not magnetic north,[12] and the finished base was squared to a mean corner error of only 12 seconds of arc.[13] The completed design dimensions, as suggested by Petrie's survey and subsequent studies, are estimated to have originally been 280 royal cubits high by 440 cubits long at each of the four sides of its base. The ratio of the perimeter to height of 1760/280 royal cubits equates to 2π to an accuracy of better than 0.05% (corresponding to the well-known approximation of π as 22/7).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A toilet trained house cat

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

that nametag is shameful af

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

prefect posted:

not worthless, but tickles my :spergin: bone

The accuracy of the pyramid's workmanship is such that the four sides of the base have an average error of only 58 millimetres in length.[9] The base is horizontal and flat to within ±15 mm (0.6 in).[10] The sides of the square base are closely aligned to the four cardinal compass points (within four minutes of arc)[11] based on true north, not magnetic north,[12] and the finished base was squared to a mean corner error of only 12 seconds of arc.[13] The completed design dimensions, as suggested by Petrie's survey and subsequent studies, are estimated to have originally been 280 royal cubits high by 440 cubits long at each of the four sides of its base. The ratio of the perimeter to height of 1760/280 royal cubits equates to 2π to an accuracy of better than 0.05% (corresponding to the well-known approximation of π as 22/7).

def not worthless. ancient inventions and engineering is so crazy to read about :pwn:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

and that corrections officer was named

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

...what is this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

...what is this?
current working theory is a sulphur monoxide decelerator, but I'm lacking evidence

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Lutha Mahtin posted:

...what is this?
a really awful model. maybe a zip gun, aka an easy way for someone to blow off a finger

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lutha Mahtin posted:

...what is this?

Space-Pope posted:

a really awful model. maybe a zip gun, aka an easy way for someone to blow off a finger

it's a picture from the zip gun page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
His lifestyle caught up with him in 1942 when two under-age girls, Betty Hansen and Peggy Satterlee, accused him of statutory rape[40] at the Bel Air home of Flynn's friend Frederick McEvoy and on board Flynn's yacht, respectively.[41] The scandal received immense press attention. Many of Flynn's fans, assuming that his screen persona was a reflection of his actual personality, refused to accept that the charges were true. Some founded organisations to publicly protest the accusation. (One such group, the American Boys' Club for the Defense of Errol Flynn—ABCDEF—accumulated a substantial membership that included William F. Buckley, Jr.)[42]

lmao william f buckley was a complete piece of poo poo even from a very early age

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

About to lead his men into action, Niven eased their nervousness by telling them, "Look, you chaps only have to do this once. But I'll have to do it all over again in Hollywood with Errol Flynn!" Asked by suspicious American sentries during the Battle of the Bulge who had won the World Series in 1943, he answered "Haven't the foggiest idea ... but I did co-star with Ginger Rogers in Bachelor Mother!"[citation needed] On another occasion, asked how he felt about serving with the British Army in Europe, he allegedly said 'Well on the whole, I would rather be tickling Ginger Rogers' tits'.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Tiddlywinks is sometimes considered a simpleminded, frivolous children's game, rather than a strategic, adult game.[1][2][3] However, the modern competitive adult game of tiddlywinks made a strong comeback at the University of Cambridge in 1955. The modern game uses far more complex rules and a consistent set of high-grade equipment. The rest of this article concerns the adult game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
National and international organisations

There are two national associations, the English Tiddlywinks Association (ETwA) and the North American Tiddlywinks Association (NATwA) (the Scottish Tiddlywinks Association disbanded in the late 1990s). These organisations are responsible for conducting tournaments and maintaining the rules of the game (which actually differ only slightly between the two organisations; the NATwA rules are based on the ETwA rules). International competition is overseen by the International Federation of Tiddlywinks Associations (IFTwA), though in practice it is rarely called upon to intervene.