Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Metroid was more popular in the west than Japan, if it was actually popular they would still be making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its time to give up on Metroid. Samus is dead.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Samus will live on in Smash Bros.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I said come in! posted:

Except it actually does? They don't just magically have completely different expectations. If it's well received over there then it will be here is how always works out.

Hahaa, what? What loving world do you live in where Japanese fans don't differ in opinion from western fans? Let's ignore the fact there's the entire FF12 vs FF13 debacle that both share completely different feelings on and bring up the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles actually has a following in the west compared to Japan with it's insanely minuscule fanbase. How about the fact that I'm sure this very thread has argued a million times about the outfits in this game and what is and is not acceptable and how Japanese games have had this for a very long time. Like how do you let the reactions of Japanese fans temper your expectations on a game that barely appealed to them to begin with on a console they own/care about even less than most western fans do?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baal posted:

Hahaa, what? What loving world do you live in where Japanese fans don't differ in opinion from western fans? Let's ignore the fact there's the entire FF12 vs FF13 debacle that both share completely different feelings on and bring up the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles actually has a following in the west compared to Japan with it's insanely minuscule fanbase. How about the fact that I'm sure this very thread has argued a million times about the outfits in this game and what is and is not acceptable and how Japanese games have had this for a very long time. Like how do you let the reactions of Japanese fans temper your expectations on a game that barely appealed to them to begin with on a console they own/care about even less than most western fans do?

I agree with many Japanese opinions about video games quite regularly, but there are also times where I do not. I am a Western player. I also have noticed that if the majority Japanese opinion about a video game is positive then the odds of me liking it is better than if their majority opinion is negative. Also, there is a lot more to a video game than what silly outfits that the avatars are wearing.

What blows my mind far more than anything about this conversation is how you are generalizing such large groups of people so broadly. These are people from Eastern countries. They are not from Mars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baal posted:

lol what the gently caress are you even going on about? Shut up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, admittedly I was neurotic and tired when I wrote, that so my bad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

really all i care about is blowing up tiny critters in big robots

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

Lol, admittedly I was neurotic and tired when I wrote, that so my bad.

So there was no difference from your normal posting, then

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No I'm not tired normally just neurotic

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Does John Xenoblade find love on the battlefield in this? Is there a choice of two waifus for John X? Somebody tell me about if Johann Xeno is getting love in this game? (edit: I just looked around and found out John X does not apparently have any love interests in this, for anyone wondering. I also found some kooky spoilers quite quickly, woops)

Also, this game's OST is way better than the last one, I fell asleep listening to those tracks on youtube just now. This game has a metal heart at least, which beats in the chest of any true otaku warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLE8-vXeRrw (This track is cool)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 13, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

lol people getting mad over the removal of the breast slider in character creation

YouTube Commentator posted:

OH COME ON. Why remove such a trivial loving feature? When I saw that was in the Japanese version I was loving hype. What the hell, man. This is so annoying. Not all girls have the same freaking breast size. Boobs aren't always sexual. Now how can I portray my female characters accurately? If I'm a girl who wanted to play this game and I had bigger than average boobs I can't even create myself accurately.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's pretty dumb if true.

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 13, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

That's pretty dumb if true.

The comment, the removal, or both

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they took out the boob slider? hell, i'm mad too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

The comment, the removal, or both

Both. It doesn't matter, but it's an odd thing to do since I've never heard of anybody making a fuss about such a thing in other games with character creation.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol that is super misguided if true

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Motto posted:

Both. It doesn't matter, but it's an odd thing to do since I've never heard of anybody making a fuss about such a thing in other games with character creation.
yyyeah when people are mad about boob sliders, it's not that they exist, it's that it would be nice if the slider went below 'massive' or 'really loving massive' which iirc isn't a problem with this game? so iunno but not really worth getting mad over? :shrug:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a pretty silly thing to remove, Dragon's Dogma and I'm pretty sure a fair few other games released with similar options without causing a moral panic

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Giant anime boobs are good and it's a sad day that we have to make due with average anime boobs instead.

weep for america

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What does Monolith believe America is like? Cause in reality our culture puts boobs on everything. This is a country that gives gender pronouns to inanimate objects that you buy at the grocery store, we have no problem with boob sliders.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nintendo put a photoshop drape over a bikini butt (Not even a butt crack), boob slider doesn't surprise me.

I said come in! posted:

What does Monolith believe America is like? Cause in reality our culture puts boobs on everything. This is a country that gives gender pronouns to inanimate objects that you buy at the grocery store, we have no problem with boob sliders.

I'm pretty sure this is NoA. They've been consistent in removing/altering sexual stuff in the last few years very heavily.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

I said come in! posted:

This is the work of NoA fearing Soccer Moms rioting in the streets because their barely marketed niche jrpg holiday game has a bust slider, a staple in practically every game with a character creator.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Nintendo put a photoshop drape over a bikini butt (Not even a butt crack), boob slider doesn't surprise me.

I'm pretty sure this is NoA. They've been consistent in removing/altering sexual stuff in the last few years very heavily.

I fear for Fates

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I blame the constant internet outrages that occur somewhere on social media with nearly every video game where at least one woman is depicted sexually even in the slightest most subjective manner. We are slowly shifting from one extreme to the other. It is pretty stupid.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I've run afoul of a soccer mom once in my life. That was all it took. NoA is right to tremble in fear.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i for one am glad the glory days of 90s nintendo are back

Edit: Where is the whole no boob slider info coming from anyway?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

a cartoon duck posted:

i for one am glad the glory days of 90s nintendo are back

Edit: Where is the whole no boob slider info coming from anyway?

Gamexplain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA7uW-Efy3k

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

I fear for Fates

It's going to be messy

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lets hang out posted:

It's going to be messy

Most people seem to want that stuff out anyway.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In less silly news, both male and female PCs have "Classic" battle voice options, which are the voices of Shulk and Fiora respectively.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

In less silly news, both male and female PCs have "Classic" battle voice options, which are the voices of Shulk and Fiora respectively.

I'm really feeling it!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I think the boob slider was dumb because you could only adjust height and boobs size. It's not like you could pick/adjust body types, or like how big the nose is, or anything like that. It was super weird and out of place.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I fear for Fates

I'm honestly pretty excited to see how far they go.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Motto posted:

This could be great.

It could also be like when a movie references a much greater movie and your brain goes "huh....maybe I'll watch that instead".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

I'm honestly pretty excited to see how far they go.

If I can't marry purple hair lady I'll loving riot

Making your character part of two different families was a terrible idea

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Did the boob slider apply to male characters as well? This is important.

e: loving garbage and I'm glad its gone then

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 13, 2015

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Oh that's cool, costume changes for Lyn confirmed to just be for Lyn only, making it completely non-issue. But then they had to mess with an aspect of character creation cause "muh sexisms".

Right, screw it, whatever, just get your butchered rear end game (Not just trivial T&A bits, mind you, but actual intentional philosophical references stripped out, too.) out already so we can now complain that it won't get a sequel and Takahashi will have been screwed out of trying to make his multipart epic a third time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Did the boob slider apply to male characters as well? This is important.

No.

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Right, screw it, whatever, just get your butchered rear end game (Not just trivial T&A bits, mind you, but actual intentional philosophical references stripped out, too.) out already so we can now complain that it won't get a sequel and Takahashi will have been screwed out of trying to make his multipart epic a third time.

I'm sure the intentional philosophical references in a Xeno game were really deep, and interesting, and added a lot to the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Oh that's cool, costume changes for Lyn confirmed to just be for Lyn only, making it completely non-issue. But then they had to mess with an aspect of character creation cause "muh sexisms".

Could you elaborate on this?

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm sure the intentional philosophical references in a Xeno game were really deep, and interesting, and added a lot to the plot.

Anime gnostic melodrama is a core pillar of this franchise and it'd be a crime if it's removed for accessibility or whatever

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 13, 2015

• Locked thread