Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

a real jerk posted:

Censored now, but Derubael made $11k from selling items from banned accounts :lol:

The real irony is that the server staff could've publicly done this, fundraised for the server, and everyone would've been alright with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Pillow Armadillo posted:

The real irony is that the server staff could've publicly done this, fundraised for the server, and everyone would've been alright with it.

I don't think they're legally allowed to give in game items etc for cash "donations". It might just be a tax issue, I can't remember.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
They can't profit because they are emulating a game that someone else made. The only thing keeping them from being sued to poo poo over it is they can claim they are just doing it for fun and even losing money doing so (and even then they probably could be shut down very easily).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
P99 is officially sanctioned by Daybreak now (unique among any emulated MMO afaik), but only as a non-profit operation. "Taking donations" for in-game rewards is a fast track to losing that status and a lawsuit.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I have to believe they are at least paying for the server costs somehow, probably with RMT since I doubt donations would be enough. The people running p99 never struck me as particularly charitable and I can't imagine them eating those server hosting bills.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Haven't played much in the past week but prepared to jump back in. Buane has still never come out to tag us so we don't have the slamdunkatron name yet. I hate you buane

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

a real jerk posted:

Censored now, but Derubael made $11k from selling items from banned accounts :lol:

Thats probably why rogaine doesnt ever make any new guides or gm's like greengrocer was bitching about, that or he just gives zero fucks about p99 anymore.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

TheShazbot posted:

sounds increasingly like I should play a paladin, or some sort of caster (a necro?)

I think you'd do really really well with a necro. You don't need any gear to get rolling, you can always solo or contribute to a group, dungeons are a breeze with FD, bind/gate, good pets, lich & DMF are awesome, double DA at high levels (making extremely difficult areas much easier to navigate), necros can definitely help in raid pulling (or controlling adds), epic is sweet, and their VP robe is even better (I don't know much about Velious tho, I haven't played in a while). If anything, a necro will get you the plat you need to twink another character, but at 60 and geared they're very useful in some raid and many solo situations. I've got a bunch of level 60s, but unfortunately a necro isn't one. If you go necro, go iksar! And remember, +int is easy at high levels, +sta is not (hp=mana).

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

iNteg posted:

Where was the proof of that? Lol

This 100% did happen, and I'm pretty sure it was to support a resurgent drug addiction. I have an incredible source, but am not going to share it openly here. Apparently D-bag-Derubael was logging into banned accounts (that were previously banned for RMT) and distributing money to a very well known plat seller (I think it was Platlord). He got away with it (for a while) because nobody was paying attention to the numerous old banned accounts, and he was supposed to be the "cheater hunter" - which gave him access to view certain parts of the P99 database. It was really bad management to promote him so fast to Sirken's #2, especially over (more) proven GMs that had been there for a while. But P99 is well versed in bad/corrupt management. I can't exactly remember how Derubael was caught, I'll have to look for the story - but I think it was because he got doped up and sloppy at covering his tracks.

By the way, does anyone have any theories on who Platlord is? I think it's an old player named Knightt, based off of something i heard a long time ago. The website is up, so I guess that poo poo is still operational. Note: If you're new to P99, don't go there, and don't RMT. You'll get caught, banned, and waste many hours. I have a friend who got a shaman to 60, and was banned less than a week later - not worth it!

One thing that I've never heard (and would really like to know) is what game mechanic Froovy and Internode used to duplicate Blue Diamonds. For those that don't know, Froovy and Internode were trusted members in the original TMO on blue - they got caught cheating, every account they ever logged into was banned (100+ in very dramatic fashion), and pretty much caused the original guild to explode.

ohno fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 12, 2015

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

I Love You! posted:

Haven't played much in the past week but prepared to jump back in. Buane has still never come out to tag us so we don't have the slamdunkatron name yet. I hate you buane

I am ransoming SLAMDUNKATRON tags my price is one Fungi Tunic.

REAL TALK: I will trek back out to CoM tonight I promise, someone please be on. I was bound there for like two weeks :( I want green chat on my screen that is actually not the worst

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

ohno posted:

By the way, does anyone have any theories on who Platlord is? I think it's an old player named Knightt, based off of something i heard a long time ago. The website is up, so I guess that poo poo is still operational. Note: If you're new to P99, don't go there, and don't RMT. You'll get caught, banned, and waste many hours. I have a friend who got a shaman to 60, and was banned less than a week later - not worth it!

Sounds like a made up story, you're trying to hog all the sweet RMT monies to yourself! Don't believe his lies, everyone RMT!

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Knightt is Nocsucow on the forums; Xylaw? on red.

Ex-guide Moregan relevant audio: http://www.twitch.tv/redwjamz/v/25355095?t=31m24s

From his reddit post:

I love video games

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 12, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I know Deru better than anyone on p99, and it's pretty funny watching the internet detectives try to guess what actually happened (you're all still pretty far off. I've never given enough of a poo poo to ask him if he actually stripped the banned tmo blue accounts, but he probably did. Beyond that I haven't seen anyone get even remotely close.)

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Buane posted:

I am ransoming SLAMDUNKATRON tags my price is one Fungi Tunic.

REAL TALK: I will trek back out to CoM tonight I promise, someone please be on. I was bound there for like two weeks :( I want green chat on my screen that is actually not the worst

If we can coordinate, I can get a toon out there for tags. Probably a lowbie just to be bound in CoM.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I know Deru better than anyone on p99, and it's pretty funny watching the internet detectives try to guess what actually happened (you're all still pretty far off. I've never given enough of a poo poo to ask him if he actually stripped the banned tmo blue accounts, but he probably did. Beyond that I haven't seen anyone get even remotely close.)

Fair enough, I don't know if this is 100% true or not. This is just what I heard as a certain staff members perspective, at the time of the drama. They were fairly certain at the time that Derubael had been emptying banned accounts for RMT purposes, which doesn't sound all that far fetched.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I started a cleric, I had every expectations of rolling a gnome, the best race in the game, but apparently this last decade turned me into a bit of a stat whore so I ended up with a High Elf.

My connection is spotty, so much so that I don't wander or group because I go LD every hour, but still got to level 5, got my new spells, and after getting lost in GFay a few times I already got my Sense Heading to 100.

Just a comment on this server, everyone seems just super nice though, I guess no one ever plays here unless they are psyched to be here. I don't think a single druid or shaman ever didn't stop to give me a SoW, not because I asked, hailed them, or even glanced expect-idly at them, only because I was there.

I'm running around encumbered because some random person was just giving away full suits of Bronze to anyone who could use it.

More than one bar is due to the fact that some random passerby decided to throw a 25 point damage shield on me and I got to slaughter some orcs.

I'm looking forward to getting back, I finally accepted the fact I will never have a reliable wifi in my house, so off to buy 100 ft Ethernet.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Started a Bard in Gfay, what's the general leveling path? I'm probably too low for CB right?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

ohno posted:

Fair enough, I don't know if this is 100% true or not. This is just what I heard as a certain staff members perspective, at the time of the drama. They were fairly certain at the time that Derubael had been emptying banned accounts for RMT purposes, which doesn't sound all that far fetched.

Yeah I know him better than the staff. I don't think it's far fetched either, I just don't care enough to ask him about it. But the /reasons/ I see rumored about from people definitely aren't. If anything, it's the exact opposite. But we don't really talk about Everquest poo poo often, even when he was GM.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Yeah I know him better than the staff. I don't think it's far fetched either, I just don't care enough to ask him about it. But the /reasons/ I see rumored about from people definitely aren't. If anything, it's the exact opposite. But we don't really talk about Everquest poo poo often, even when he was GM.

Well that's good, I'm glad the reason is false. Power has a tendency to corrupt, and it's somewhat incredible how much P99 pixels can be sold for.

Also, I didn't know Knightt was playing on red now. If so, the Platlord thing is probably false, I'm back to thinking it's Rogean.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

ohno posted:

Well that's good, I'm glad the reason is false. Power has a tendency to corrupt, and it's somewhat incredible how much P99 pixels can be sold for.

Also, I didn't know Knightt was playing on red now. If so, the Platlord thing is probably false, I'm back to thinking it's Rogean.

I play red sometimes, but not enough to tell if he's lying/trolling

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209260 for whatever truth its worth

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

a real jerk posted:

I love video games

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Welp I got my rogue back and EQ decided to make it so that I get faced south every 2-3 seconds in indoor zones, only when logged into him.

Free PL in gfay, message bamf dottie or anime. Starting from level 1 ~soon~ and we can port.
edit: we got lazy and nobody showed up, we'll do it tomorrow night maybe in THE WARRENS

this vile, mean jerk made me wish I rolled Gnome :(

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Hoppy Goodness
Nov 26, 2007

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Free PL in gfay, message bamf dottie or anime. Starting from level 1 ~soon~ and we can port.
edit: we got lazy and nobody showed up, we'll do it tomorrow night maybe in THE WARRENS

I'm definitely down for this tonight, I'm not going out or anything cause I'm broke, and Moustacheride could definitely use some levels so I can start porting for my plat-filled swimming pool. What time?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is EQNext going to be any good?

related question: Why don't they just remake original EQ with better graphics?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NotWearingPants posted:

Is EQNext going to be any good?

related question: Why don't they just remake original EQ with better graphics?

EQNext is really questionable. The engine they've built looks absolutely amazing, but its really uncertain if they'll be able to pull it off, and the longer goes by without them releasing more details the more it seems like the game is going to collapse under its own weight of feature creep.

Its like Everquest combined with Minecraft which is a good thing and also a weird thing.

They also pushed out EQLandmark as like a beta / minecraft too, charged a bunch of money for access, and then kinda disappeared. That's very concerning. But I also haven't been obsessing over every news story so I probably missed stuff.

Related question: Because only old :corsair: grognards like us would buy it. Look at WoW. WoW is massively more welcoming than EQ is and even WoW is bleeding subs faster than they can handle. Paid monthly sub MMOs are dying, HARD. The market just won't sustain them any longer. WoW and FFXIV and EVE are the last of a dying breed. Any new MMOs are going to be based on the Guild Wars 2 model, not the EQ/WoW model, and will have radical gameplay changes to try to stay relevant in the modern age. A grind-fest MMO is just not something that appeals to any more than a tiny niche, which can't support an EQ-remake's costs.

1999 is just where its at for now.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Welp I got my rogue back and EQ decided to make it so that I get faced south every 2-3 seconds in indoor zones, only when logged into him.

I would love to join you, EQ is harder to get started than I remember. The first few levels are brutal.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Welt just hit 46 on Blue! Question: if I immediately zone into PoFear and lose my corpse, do I win the game?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hoppy Goodness posted:

I'm definitely down for this tonight, I'm not going out or anything cause I'm broke, and Moustacheride could definitely use some levels so I can start porting for my plat-filled swimming pool. What time?

It's tentative based on "how long will we raid tonight, how tired will Dottie be" but if you end up missing it we'll do another round for my character (we're trading PL)

Tomahawk posted:

I would love to join you, EQ is harder to get started than I remember. The first few levels are brutal.

poo poo bro, if you're new to p99 red I'll toss you some starter plat too!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 13, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Welp as much as it sucked being repeatedly trained by <Friends> tonight, I won a Doljonijiarnimorinar on a greed roll so I'm rich now, bitch :)

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Welp as much as it sucked being repeatedly trained by <Friends> tonight, I won a Doljonijiarnimorinar on a greed roll so I'm rich now, bitch :)

Buy me a Withered Leather Tunic now :D

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Buane posted:

Buy me a Withered Leather Tunic now :D

I'll hook it up! I just have to sell this thing first, which will probably take forever.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Is that really a loving name for something? Jesus that's bad.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
I thought I would give this nonsense a try. I'm Aedrik on Blue.

Thanks for Welt for some starter cash, got me a set of banded.

Looking for an invite to the guild. I'll be on for a while tonight I think :)

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Does anyone use the EQ Classic Tools app? It seems to be very much aimed at p1999 but I can't see much use for it that the wiki and the map tool do not cover.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wrongggggg

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

A Strange Aeon posted:

at least 3 of my guildies could spell/pronounce it off the top of their heads, we're all going to die alone.

edit: woooooo another day of my character being unplayable, with no views on my petition!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 14, 2015

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I used to play, vanilla to PoP. I've rolled a necro, in game name Sosoca. What's the blue goon guild?

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I used to play, vanilla to PoP. I've rolled a necro, in game name Sosoca. What's the blue goon guild?

/who all "Unknown Guild"

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

/who all "Unknown Guild"

Nobody on earlier today, but I'd love to join if just to chat with some relaxed people. I don't take the game very seriously, but when I was playing back in the day I loved talking with my e-friends. WoW never had that, couldn't make a "real" connection with anyone, but my time in Happy Funtime Elves on Morrel Thule was fantastic: smart adults who weren't poopsocking, weren't easily (or at all) offended by dumb absurdity in chat, and were willing to hang out in ToFS, Droga, or HS for some halfassed two necros with time on their hands farming.

I'm noticing that people are perfectly willing to port, bind, etc for free, it really reminds me of how the "be nice to thine bros and sisters" attitude of back in the day. It's nice to see that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Never Been Banned
Sep 7, 2004
Okay well, maybe once...

I Love You! posted:

I keep seeing a "Buane Thule" monk running around in KC. He a goon?