Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Kraftwerk posted:

I pretty much fantasize about a 6.4L challenger scat Pak on a regular basis even though I know that there are far better handling cars with more HP/lb.

They look cool, but I wouldn't want to own one. ChryCo products burned me too many times. Occasionally literally.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't think the new motors sound that great? They all sound good at idle, especially the hellcat, but once the revs climb they just sound...off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

I pretty much fantasize about a 6.4L challenger scat Pak on a regular basis even though I know that there are far better handling cars with more HP/lb.

You and me both buddy :hfive:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Big fans of scat in here huh?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

iwentdoodie posted:

They look cool, but I wouldn't want to own one. ChryCo products burned me too many times. Occasionally literally.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't think the new motors sound that great? They all sound good at idle, especially the hellcat, but once the revs climb they just sound...off.

What happened? I always have at least one distant friend or coworker who had a hosed up experience with Chrysler whereupon they swore they'd never own another.

It would suck if I can't get a challenger and keep it in good condition for years after.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

What happened? I always have at least one distant friend or coworker who had a hosed up experience with Chrysler whereupon they swore they'd never own another.

It would suck if I can't get a challenger and keep it in good condition for years after.

http://jalopnik.com/this-expensive-part-has-hundreds-of-chrysler-owners-fum-1628115596

I hear the way Chrysler designs power to route thru this causes a lot of headaches for techs and owners.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Buhbuhj posted:

Big fans of scat in here huh?

You'd think they'd be buying BMW

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Coredump posted:

http://jalopnik.com/this-expensive-part-has-hundreds-of-chrysler-owners-fum-1628115596

I hear the way Chrysler designs power to route thru this causes a lot of headaches for techs and owners.

Well, they were owned by Germans for a while, so it's to be expected that they pick up some of the culture.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Coredump posted:

Looks like that only affects Grand Cherokees, Durangos, Grand Caravans/Town and Countrys, RAM vans, Nitos, Libertys, Rams, Wranglers and Journeys.

So the Challenger/Charger/300 shouldn't be affected.

At least according to this website google pointed me to.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Kraftwerk posted:

Work trucks that fell apart around the engine. My mom's Sebring vert that would randomly try to put the top up or down due to a short, and would also do it with no one in the car and the keys nowhere near it.

Neon rental that caught fire. 200 rental that had the transmission poo poo itself with 1500 miles on the car.

And the latest is the Durango for our van pool,that now needs a new gearbox with 6500 miles on it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Chrysler should make a small, lightweight sporty car with great handling and call it a Lancer

and they should give it a high-revving NA I6 and call it the Hyper Pak

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
2017 Veloster Turbo is going to get the 2.0L and have around 300hp rumours are saying now. CEO mentioned something about beefing up the suspension and a better rear end too. Hatches could be getting really interesting if Hyundai can do that for under $25k. I just got a veloster rspec for $19,700 because focus st's and gti's are all going for $26-28k where I'm at. I just needed stick, economical, seats 4, and not too depressing to drive. Getting 33mpg so far driving around town and to work isn't bad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Chrysler should update their god drat V8s and go to aluminum blocks, then make a small-ish hard-edged Camaro/Mustang killer, name it the Barracuda, and sell it in all the old high impact colours. Also gently caress a Dart SRT, make a separate stripped down Demon with a supercharged Pentastar and AWD on the platform.

You're already halfway there, Chrysler, just go gonzo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, Chrysler should just make a good RWD sports car from scratch.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kimbo305 posted:

I agree

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Chrysler should update their god drat V8s and go to aluminum blocks, then make a small-ish hard-edged Camaro/Mustang killer, name it the Barracuda, and sell it in all the old high impact colours. Also gently caress a Dart SRT, make a separate stripped down Demon with a supercharged Pentastar and AWD on the platform.

You're already halfway there, Chrysler, just go gonzo.

You're not far off the mark. Rumour has it the next barracuda will be under the Dodge or SRT nameplate and will basically be an Alfa Romeo based rwd sport coupe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, everyone should just make a good RWD sports car from scratch.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So which colours do you guys think the new Camaro looks best in?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kimbo305 posted:

Should they brand it a dodge? Maybe call it a cobra or something, because naming cars after fish is dumb.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

So which colours do you guys think the new Camaro looks best in?

I normally really like cars in white, but it highlights some panel lines I'm not a fan of(on the builder at least), so not that.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Camaro's hood line really looks like a toilet lid in white. It's not as noticeable in other colors.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tekne posted:

The Camaro's hood line really looks like a toilet lid in white. It's not as noticeable in other colors.

Same problem when the NC Miata came out.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Enough about sports cars everybody talks about and nobody buys, here's some real new car news: Bronco's back, bitches.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I like how the author is whinging about it being called Bronco while on the Ranger platform. What do you want them to do, call it the Bronco 2 while it's the only truck called Bronco in the lineup?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Why is the Camaro 2SS so much more expensive than the Mustang GT Premium? Is it basically just that the motor and chassis is better/nicer/more expensive and so the car costs more? The 1SS is a tiny bit more expensive than the Mustang GT Premium, which I found surprising. On the flip side, you can get magneride on the Camaro, which is highly appealing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
They're discontinuing the Taurus? Really?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

China already got a refreshed Taurus based on a stretched Fusion platform with the 2.7 V6 Ecoboost, it's only going to die inside America.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

tijag posted:

Why is the Camaro 2SS so much more expensive than the Mustang GT Premium? Is it basically just that the motor and chassis is better/nicer/more expensive and so the car costs more? The 1SS is a tiny bit more expensive than the Mustang GT Premium, which I found surprising. On the flip side, you can get magneride on the Camaro, which is highly appealing.

The difference between 1SS and 2SS are nearly all luxury features (better sound system, HUD, parking assist, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc.). Those add up to $5K, apparently?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Top Hats Monthly posted:

For normal consumers, yeah it's dead in the US. I think they're still making the police version, although 99 out of 100 cops prefer the Explorer based Interceptor anyway, so who even knows how long that will last.

The normal Taurus didn't sell well outside of rental fleets and had tons of cash on the hood and it's sibling the Lincoln MKS was killed off as well to be replaced by the Lincoln Continental.

It really isn't a competitive car in the full size sedan marketplace, the platform is old, the car is cramped inside for how huge it is, and without a replacement it's probably best it goes away for a while. Maybe they'll bring a Continental based Taurus back in 2019 or something if the demand is there. I recently read though that people who used to purchase full size sedans are moving very quickly to CUV based vehicles.

On a positive note this almost guarantees there will be a Fusion ST/RS/SHO variant in the future which is the car I really wanted in the first place. I own a Taurus SHO that I traded a 2011 Fusion Sport in on, and only bought the SHO since there wasn't a newer Fusion Sport/ST model to buy. I do really like the SHO, but I can see why non SHO models are not competitive at all when cross shopped against the Charger, Impala and others.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

For normal consumers, yeah it's dead in the US. I think they're still making the police version, although 99 out of 100 cops prefer the Explorer based Interceptor anyway, so who even knows how long that will last.

The normal Taurus didn't sell well outside of rental fleets and had tons of cash on the hood and it's sibling the Lincoln MKS was killed off as well to be replaced by the Lincoln Continental.

It really isn't a competitive car in the full size sedan marketplace, the platform is old, the car is cramped inside for how huge it is, and without a replacement it's probably best it goes away for a while. Maybe they'll bring a Continental based Taurus back in 2019 or something if the demand is there. I recently read though that people who used to purchase full size sedans are moving very quickly to CUV based vehicles.

On a positive note this almost guarantees there will be a Fusion ST/RS/SHO variant in the future which is the car I really wanted in the first place. I own a Taurus SHO that I traded a 2011 Fusion Sport in on, and only bought the SHO since there wasn't a newer Fusion Sport/ST model to buy. I do really like the SHO, but I can see why non SHO models are not competitive at all when cross shopped against the Charger, Impala and others.

Holy crap, the negotiation starts at $10k off sticker at my local dealer for Taurus SELs, it looks like, amazing. They have several SELs with decent option loads at $23k or less.

At $21k-ish, they might make sense.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I always thought the current Taurus just had a disgustingly high beltline. I get that's the way safety standards are deading but certainly it goes well beyond what's necessary.

Edit: vv why is it so angry and yelling at me?

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 12, 2015

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

This car has been mentioned but there looks to be some more info around now. The Toyota S-FR will probably be powered by a 1.2l turbo and weigh 890kg.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/production-toyota-sfr-to-get-12liter-turbo-four-90214.html

quote:

The S-FR concept that Toyota introduced late last month at the Tokyo Motor Show has been all but confirmed for production, and a new report coming out of Australia gives us a better idea of what we can expect from it when it arrives.

Power will allegedly come from an evolution of the turbocharged 1.2-liter four-cylinder engine that's currently found under the hood of the Corolla in Europe and in Japan. The turbo four will be tuned to make approximately 113 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 136 lb-ft. of torque at 1,500 rpm when burning high-octane fuel.

I'm giving this a look in as a commuter car and keeping my skyline for weekends and when I have to haul the car-less and drunk. It is probably years away so I'll probably just buy a FiST instead :shrug:.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

tijag posted:

Because when Ford turned around and went all One Ford they decided to become the American Germans, and now all their vehicles have ridiculously priced options packages to get anything but a stripper model. Cheap Mustangs are like cheap Porsches, they exist only online.

It's why the 2015 F-150 is sort of a piece of poo poo: It's not actually a piece of poo poo, but at any given price point you could buy a better GM or RAM.

tobu posted:

This car has been mentioned but there looks to be some more info around now. The Toyota S-FR will probably be powered by a 1.2l turbo and weigh 890kg.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/production-toyota-sfr-to-get-12liter-turbo-four-90214.html

I'm giving this a look in as a commuter car and keeping my skyline for weekends and when I have to haul the car-less and drunk. It is probably years away so I'll probably just buy a FiST instead :shrug:.

I'm one of those used-car-buying assholes who killed the enthusiast market, but if this comes to Canada in an interesting form I'll be fairly likely to buy one new.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tobu posted:

So a Toiata, basically.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I think the low end fords are very reasonably priced.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I was expecting a tiny bit mire grunt to be honest.
Then again it could just be 1.2 for the JDM while the rest of the world gets a bit more interesting 1.4 or 1.6

Or crossed fingers for the 2.0l turbo from the NX200t.
(Turbo less would be fine too.)

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Twerk from Home posted:

Holy crap, the negotiation starts at $10k off sticker at my local dealer for Taurus SELs, it looks like, amazing. They have several SELs with decent option loads at $23k or less.

At $21k-ish, they might make sense.

Take a look at pre owned prices on the Taurus. You can basically steal them for the prices they're going for, and they're great cars at those prices. I bought a fully loaded Limited model a few months ago with tons of features and under 15k miles for around $20k.

They're not exactly competitive with the Avalon or the Impala, but with the equipment I got in my car at the price I got it at, you get a lot of car for your money. I'd never pay the near $40k sticker price for it, but under $20k? Sign me up all day long.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

He stole my balloons!

Seriously though, I think it looks kinda rad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I was expecting a tiny bit mire grunt to be honest.
Then again it could just be 1.2 for the JDM while the rest of the world gets a bit more interesting 1.4 or 1.6

Or crossed fingers for the 2.0l turbo from the NX200t.
(Turbo less would be fine too.)

Yeah you're dreaming there, it's a 1.2 or nothing because it's a small car. But it's a 1.2 turbo on a car that weighs 890kg... Sounds like it'll be great fun to redline everywhere but America need not apply because it's not fave hunnert horse power.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A man can dream :unsmith:
Hopefully it'll tear into and out of corners like a mofo.

Otherwise itll just be a disappointment. I remember that people thought it was going to be a new supra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A new Supra? Toyota makes these...

They also make the GT86, from this, one can assume that Toyota are in the game of disappointing people... :/