Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

E;f,b.
Also, quitting smoking is kinda cool, I don't remember my lungs ever working this good.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phone posted:

Jonathan Garrett, Insomniac Games

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal was an online title that shipped without the ability to patch either code or data. Which was unfortunate.

The game downloads and displays an End User License Agreement each time it's launched. This is an ascii string stored in a static buffer. This buffer is filled from the server without checking that the size is within the buffer's capacity.

This is making me wince.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I wonder how long it took to figure that out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mother of gently caress, that code hack.

Please tell me they only did it once to patch in a conventional patching functionality. Ahahaha who the gently caress am i kidding.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

scuz posted:

AutoDesk, or CAD?

I've also never met a stoner who tips well. Don't know many nowadays, but when I was younger and dumber that was pretty much my crowd.

I just remember being ridiculously good with AutoCAD back in HS and enjoying it, not that means much now. Just getting sick of the career path I chose and its wearing on me.

Also most stoners I know always tip 20% since its easy to calculate.

Tommychu posted:

E;f,b.
Also, quitting smoking is kinda cool, I don't remember my lungs ever working this good.

My girl is on day 25 herself. She's been using the patch and hasn't slipped up yet.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 12, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
On one hand, it's stupid to ship/gold master a game that has no patching functionality. On the other, that's a beautiful work around and shows that the developers aren't nearly as dumb as they come off. It's a real chicken and egg scenario, but that solution is definitely some next level poo poo.

I'm sure that there was a hilarious debrief and a top level decision to never have to do that stuff again.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tommychu posted:

E;f,b.

Quit since September. It's nice not feeling like poo poo 24/7 once you get through withdrawals.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What does the crew option in the main menu of Fallout 4 do? I tried asking in games but hundreds of posts appear every second so it's hard to get an answer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Takeaways: Include patching code in your shipped game, and don't use unbounded strcpy.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/194772/dirty_game_development_tricks.php
Holy poo poo that is amazing. Hell of a workaround to fix it too, clever thinking.

Any AI regulars in the NYC area? Looking at potentially buying a bunch of car parts in Pleasantville, NY (25min from NYC) and I wouldn't be able to get up there at the moment. May need someone to either pick them up and hold them until I can figure out pickup or look them over before I pay for shipping. Everything would probably be able to squeeze onto a pallet, shipping may suck.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Fallout 4 chat, when the gently caress did Protectrons become such giant assholes that take forever to bring down? I swear they weren't this bad in 3 or New Vegas :(

Also, holy poo poo the .45 Revolver rifle owns bones. It's so drat good. Using that as my heavy hitter with a scoped .308 rifle for long range and an automatic pipe pistol / double barrel shorty shotgun for close range stuff makes for a nice combo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just remember being ridiculously good with AutoCAD back in HS and enjoying it, not that means much now. Just getting sick of the career path I chose and its wearing on me.

Also most stoners I know always tip 20% since its easy to calculate.

My girl is on day 25 herself. She's been using the patch and hasn't slipped up yet.
The best part about getting a job that requires a learned skill is that even if you don't have the certificates, you can prove your worth to a company by demonstrating your abilities. I say get cracking and go for it; better to try it!

I must have known nothing but broke-rear end stoners. Actually, no, there's a couple of affluent stoners I know and I guess they tip well enough. I gotta knock it off with the generalities!

Quitting smoking sucks. I hate it. Coughing all the time, can't have a cigarette, feel guilty when I slip up, ugh. It's the worst. I recommend refraining from smokes in the first place; I wouldn't wish quitting on my worst enemy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CharlesM posted:

What does the crew option in the main menu of Fallout 4 do? I tried asking in games but hundreds of posts appear every second so it's hard to get an answer.

I think it just shows the credits?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I think it just shows the credits?

Oh I'm dumb. I didn't wait long enough for anything to pop up, I guess. Haha.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Corvega was pretty hard for me. I ended up throwing a lot of grenades.

Little sad you can't use VATS for grenades anymore.

Yeah, I really wish you could VATS grenades still. At least grenades do seem to be much more plentiful this early in the game so you can get away with spamming them a bit, and Dogmeat doesn't get shredded by them. The only annoying thing is how many times I've self-immolated thanks to getting a molotov aimed juuuuust wrong.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Vancouver Police Department have a Stingray device and now everyone is losing their poo poo over privacy concerns. And rightfully so, Stingray's are loving scary things.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I really wish you could VATS grenades still. At least grenades do seem to be much more plentiful this early in the game so you can get away with spamming them a bit, and Dogmeat doesn't get shredded by them. The only annoying thing is how many times I've self-immolated thanks to getting a molotov aimed juuuuust wrong.

You can still use VATS as an auto target acquire even if you don't have enough AP. Use VATS, choose what you want to shoot, then cancel and shoot and you'll typically hit it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

scuz posted:

I must have known nothing but broke-rear end stoners. Actually, no, there's a couple of affluent stoners I know and I guess they tip well enough. I gotta knock it off with the generalities!

Quitting smoking sucks. I hate it. Coughing all the time, can't have a cigarette, feel guilty when I slip up, ugh. It's the worst. I recommend refraining from smokes in the first place; I wouldn't wish quitting on my worst enemy.

I don't know, when I order delivery while super high I end up tipping way to much since I am so happy that someone magically brought me food. Especially when I forget that I ordered pizza and the doorbell rings right as I am thinking "drat, I could really go for some pizza right now".

Quitting smoking cigs does suck. I had to quit due to some dental surgery that I had a ~4 months ago, used the patch for the first couple weeks and loving hated it. The constant flow of nicotine made me feel just off. After my jaw healed up enough I went and picked up a vape pen, which I also hate but it gives me something to smoke while drinking, which is pretty much the only time I use it anymore. I broke down and ended up going through 2 packs over the halloween weekend, but it was my bachelor party so I am OK with it. Haven't had a smoke since, but it definitely reminded me how much worse you feel after a long night of drinking and smoking compared to just drinking.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Someone once told me "you can only quit smoking if you really want it" and I never got what they meant until I finally said "gently caress feeling like poo poo all the time" and gave it up cold turkey. If you have it 100% in your mind that you've quit it does get easier, its still difficult as gently caress but you don't worry about it as much.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Whenever I see any of my uncle's trucks its never my pops or anyone I know there driving. I always end up waving to some random driver and looking stupid.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Negromancer posted:

I don't know, when I order delivery while super high I end up tipping way to much since I am so happy that someone magically brought me food. Especially when I forget that I ordered pizza and the doorbell rings right as I am thinking "drat, I could really go for some pizza right now".

Quitting smoking cigs does suck. I had to quit due to some dental surgery that I had a ~4 months ago, used the patch for the first couple weeks and loving hated it. The constant flow of nicotine made me feel just off. After my jaw healed up enough I went and picked up a vape pen, which I also hate but it gives me something to smoke while drinking, which is pretty much the only time I use it anymore. I broke down and ended up going through 2 packs over the halloween weekend, but it was my bachelor party so I am OK with it. Haven't had a smoke since, but it definitely reminded me how much worse you feel after a long night of drinking and smoking compared to just drinking.
Right? There are times I'll wake up after getting hammed (drinking more than 10 hamm's) the night before and feel way worse than normal, only to remember that I got so drunk that I bummed a smoke from someone. Can't hardly breathe, headache worse than normal, blech, just awful.

1500quidporsche posted:

Someone once told me "you can only quit smoking if you really want it" and I never got what they meant until I finally said "gently caress feeling like poo poo all the time" and gave it up cold turkey. If you have it 100% in your mind that you've quit it does get easier, its still difficult as gently caress but you don't worry about it as much.
That's near abouts where I am, still loving hard :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

That's near abouts where I am, still loving hard :(

Yeah I was a loving wreck "trying to quit" for about a year and a half near the end and I was just getting progressively more and more miserable. I wouldn't say it gets "easier", it just becomes more manageable. There's a threshold point where you've got more to lose by giving into the cravings. Going through three days of withdrawal hell set it in my mind that there was no way in hell that I'm ever going through that again in my life.

I know there's a certain book out there that sells quitting cold turkey like its the easiest thing in the world, I've read it several times and its never as easy as that book sells it. For me I was just getting over a cold and was in a particularly lovely mood/place in life and just figured that quitting smoking certainly wasn't going to make things any worse.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MustardFacial posted:

Vancouver Police Department have a Stingray device and now everyone is losing their poo poo over privacy concerns. And rightfully so, Stingray's are loving scary things.

I had to look that up.

I remember also hearing about WiFi sniffers in cities that pick up your device and can track you that way, too. As long as you have WiFi on, your device sends out a ping every once in a while looking for a signal, I guess.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

MustardFacial posted:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't care about losing cell phone privacy if it enables law enforcement to "catch the bad guys". People go apeshit over their privacy. It's like when people have a problem with cops using the cameras with scanning software to automatically run checks on every license plate that it sees.

I want to ask this question, legitimately: if I'm not doing anything wrong, how is the use of a stingray going to hurt me?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

I remember also hearing about WiFi sniffers in cities that pick up your device and can track you that way, too. As long as you have WiFi on, your device sends out a ping every once in a while looking for a signal, I guess.

Assuming there was a city-wide WiFi network administered by the municipality this would be technically possible but it would narrow down your location to "he's within X feet of this access point," and if you were driving it would be practically worthless.

Modus Man posted:

I want to ask this question, legitimately: if I'm not doing anything wrong, how is the use of a stingray allowing the police to search my house whenever they want to going to hurt me?

Not being subjected to unreasonable search and seizure is a constitutional right. If the police need to obtain a warrant to wiretap a landline they should need to similarly obtain a warrant to track your cell phone activity.

Hypothetically speaking, they could flag your cell phone's IMEI erroneously during a dragnet operation using one of these, and lets say you happen to drive by a known drug house or other criminal enterprise law enforcement is watching. They could potentially use this evidence to arrest you on trafficking or accessory charges, and while you would likely have the charges dropped in the end do you really want to put up with standing trial for a major felony charge just because they flagged your phone and you coincidentally and through no fault of your own happened to be in the vicinity of criminal activity?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Modus Man posted:

I want to ask this question, legitimately: if I'm not doing anything wrong, how is the use of a stingray going to hurt me?

Because the definition of "this is wrong" / "this is not", where the government is concerned, is neither black and white nor set in stone, and the people with access to that level of information cannot be trusted to act upon it in a truly benevolent manner (see: poor police behavior).

I will say that I'd have no problem with any sort of automated plate scanner that truly just scanned plates and popped alerts for ones with issues (stolen, expired registration, etc) and didn't retain any records of the scanned plates of compliant vehicles.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 12, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

keykey posted:

You can still use VATS as an auto target acquire even if you don't have enough AP. Use VATS, choose what you want to shoot, then cancel and shoot and you'll typically hit it.

It's pretty much the quick-scope of FO4 combat. I don't mind it because it is effective, but it sorta nerfs what VATS is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Modus Man posted:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't care about losing cell phone privacy if it enables law enforcement to "catch the bad guys". People go apeshit over their privacy. It's like when people have a problem with cops using the cameras with scanning software to automatically run checks on every license plate that it sees.

No one has the right to monitor my communications without a loving court warrant. There is simply no excuse, full stop that is acceptible otherwise. And enough with this "I got nuttin" to hide", that just means you haven't thought it through - You ALWAYS have something to hide for legitimate reasons. Do you want some loving cop to be able to know when you are talking dirty to a mistress? A doctor for HIV? Because you know that has never been abused by cops and others in power.... oh wait it has.

A targeted court order and methodology or GTFO. No exceptions.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Modus Man posted:

It's not about you, per se. It's about the domestic abuse victim whose abuser happens to be buddies with a cop. How does he keep finding her? It's about the guy who goes to a pro-Palestine rally, and then Vancouver PD's Stingray records get leaked, and then the guy gets fired. Unchecked surveillance records all the minor crimes and social taboos you commit every day, and lets anyone with power and a grudge selectively enforce the law. It presents a huge juicy target for people looking to gently caress other people over.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A targeted court order and methodology or GTFO. No exceptions.
This.

To put the "if you're not doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about" another way - if the police have a legitimate reason to track your phone why can't they present their evidence to a judge and obtain a warrant to do so?

Safety Dance posted:

It's about the guy who goes to a pro-Palestine rally, and then Vancouver PD's Stingray records get leaked, and then the guy gets fired.

Actually in the post-9/11 world I'd be more concerned about being put on a secret watch list and/or ending up on the no-fly list.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because the definition of "this is wrong" / "this is not", where the government is concerned, is neither black and white nor set in stone, and the people with access to that level of information cannot be trusted to act upon it in a truly benevolent manner (see: poor police behavior).

I will say that I'd have no problem with any sort of automated plate scanner that truly just scanned plates and popped alerts for ones with issues (stolen, expired registration, etc) and didn't retain any records of the scanned plates of compliant vehicles.

So it's mostly just that people don't trust that these police departments will be using them in the appropriate circumstances I guess? Or is it that the stingray devices' abilities are too intrusive? Probably both.

*edit- I get what you guys are saying, and I was mostly thinking about it being used legitimately, which is my 1st mistake.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 12, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Modus Man posted:

So it's mostly just that people don't trust that these police departments will be using them in the appropriate circumstances I guess? Or is it that the stingray devices' abilities are too intrusive? Probably both.

Do you think your day-to-day activities should be scrutinized just so law enforcement might be able to bust some small-time criminal for loitering or making prank calls?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus Christ this car is a cop magnet. I've gotten pulled over more times in this thing in 4 months than the 4 years I had my Slobalt.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Jesus Christ this car is a cop magnet. I've gotten pulled over more times in this thing in 4 months than the 4 years I had my Slobalt.
Welcome to the sporty looking black car club. I just peeled my tint off the front windows to hopefully cut down on the pull-overs.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My car is stanced to all hell and back, but I've never been pulled over in it. Because its a white, N/A 2.5l station wagon. It's tits.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

currently sitting in class and my materials professor (who is french) is currently going off on a tangent about Napoleon's army (talking about how their buttons disintegrated in the cold)

could this guy GET any more french?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CharlesM posted:

I had to look that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1C3WB8c0o&t=1856s

e: figured it out! 30:55 is relevant

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Safety Dance posted:

It's not about you, per se. It's about the domestic abuse victim whose abuser happens to be buddies with a cop. How does he keep finding her? It's about the guy who goes to a pro-Palestine rally, and then Vancouver PD's Stingray records get leaked, and then the guy gets fired. Unchecked surveillance records all the minor crimes and social taboos you commit every day, and lets anyone with power and a grudge selectively enforce the law. It presents a huge juicy target for people looking to gently caress other people over.

Im just waiting for the new Metadata Laws in Australia to backfire or get leaked or something like that. I'd tunnel everything i do through a VPN but even on a 100/40 fibre connection its painfully slow.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Modus Man posted:

*edit- I get what you guys are saying, and I was mostly thinking about it being used legitimately, which is my 1st mistake.

That's part of it, but it's not just that.

Remember when the TSA backscatter scanners took real pictures of naked people?

I guess the biggest thing is that it undermines everything the justice system is built on. It shifts the burden of proof. You're no longer "innocent until proven guilty." You are "guilty for something, we are going to monitor everything about you until we can prove it."

The big worry for a lot of people is that the actual purpose of this surveillance from the governments point of view is to control enemies of the state. Not terrorists. People who are coalescing around ideas that would destabilize the status quo. These could be religious ideas. These could be groups like Anonymous who are too good with tech for the governments liking. It makes it very easy to know who these people are. It also makes it very simple to control these people. Lets say you are a college student and you get in with some people who want to stop farming practices that hurt animals. So you make a plan and go to protest these practices. You get there, and wow, the protest is huge. You never expected this, you were just goofing off. Well now everyone who was there is suspect. Even though you technically had the right to protest, you're now considered a dangerous person. With this tech in place, the government doesn't have to put you in jail. They can do something more sinister. They can just email you a sexy picture you took with a girlfriend. Or they can email you a note saying that they can prove your dad is cheating on his taxes. Or they can threaten to get your dad fired. All you have to do, the email says, is help them catch your friends in the group. You have to report back every week, or you dad might lose his job. Would you want to be in that position just because you acted well within the law?

Here watch this: http://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters?language=en

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I need a good lager recommendation.

What do you folks like? I'm in Iowa, so if any one has a good local/regional beer, that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Modus Man posted:

• Locked thread