Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are the damage icons on armor and what do they do? The shield is Damage Resustance, the lightning bolt I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, the Glowing Sea is a really neat area.

Edit: The place also gives no fucks about map boundaries:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2015

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What are the damage icons on armor and what do they do? The shield is Damage Resustance, the lightning bolt I'm not sure.
Energy resistance

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Welp, after playing for an hour this afternoon, I died. When I hit F9 to reload, it reloaded my last save from yesterday. I'm an F5 junkie who makes backup saves every 20 minutes or so. All of those saves are gone.

So careful, kids. This game eats your saves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do I get Sanctuary to have over 7 people? I have enough room for at least 10 but the beacon's not bringing in anyone else.

Also wow Righteous Authority is strong as hell for when you get it. The Institute weapons too but that just blows them away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Shield is damage resistance; lightning bolt is energy resistance; radiation hazard symbol is radiation resistance.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Does the double crit damage from Righteous Authority stack with sneak attacks?

nosl posted:

This game is seriously loving awesome. I just upgraded my hardware and now instead of running at 15-30FPS I get a solid 60. It actually makes the game seem like it goes by faster,

The physics are tied to the frame rate. You'll literally move faster with higher fps. (but then so will the raiders shooting at you :ohdear: )

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Welp, after playing for an hour this afternoon, I died. When I hit F9 to reload, it reloaded my last save from yesterday. I'm an F5 junkie who makes backup saves every 20 minutes or so. All of those saves are gone.

So careful, kids. This game eats your saves.

You should have still had your autosaves. Also I use the console to make manual named saves. "save gara1" then "save gara2" for eg.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Falken posted:

Right, this game runs pretty drat well on my 3 year old PC, which has an i5 3570k, 8gb ram and.... ugh, AMD Radeon HD 7800.

Unfortunately, when in downtown Boston, it chugs here and there, so I think my card is the reason because it's an AMD one. What's a good card to go up to? GTX 970?

I just bought an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0, and two days later the Super-Super-Clocked version is $5 cheaper than the Super-Clocked version. Stupid Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3NK2LE?keywords=evge%20gtx%20970&qid=1447365280&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell

At any rate, at 1080p the SC version is pegged at 60 FPS with Ultra settings for most of the game. I got into Boston and it drops to 45-50 looking in certain directions down long streets. The value ratio of the 970 is great though. The 980 is barely better according to the Gamers' Nexus at 1080p.

What resolution you are running at is super important to what card you need for 60 FPS Ultra. If you run higher res, you might want a 980 Ti for twice the price, or you may need to dial the quality down a little.

Read this: http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2177-fallout-4-pc-video-card-fps-benchmark-all-resolutions

Frankenoodle fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Does the double crit damage from Righteous Authority stack with sneak attacks?

I strongly doubt it. Perks treat "critical hits" and "sneak attacks" as separate things, so I imagine special weapon traits do, too.

I recommend grabbing Old Faithful from the gun vendor in Diamond City and sticking a rifle stock on it. It's a laser pistol (which you can turn into a rifle if you want) that deals double damage if the target is at full health, which is amazing for sneak attacks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Ok guys I suck

Iam level 8, still around the starting area and I tried to go towards the quests that I have: cordega and Diamond city. I am getting my rear end handed to me by stunted yao guais and raider turrets, and my only decent weapons are the laser musket, double barreled shotgun and the 10mm pistol (all heavily upgraded since I got gun nut and science! but still it seems I can't kill poo poo fast enough)

Should I keep leveling a bit more before heading that way? Are there any easier quests to do before pressing on?

Those weapons are pretty much the mainstay for the earlier levels, so you're not significantly lagging behind in that regard. I think I made the trek to diamond city around level 12-ish with much the same equipment, plus a hunting rifle. Here are a few ways to find better weapons early-ish on:
-A variety of laser pistols and rifles can be found during a (rather easy) sidequest that starts at the police station, you'll probably stumble across it on your way to diamond city anyways.
-The arms dealer in diamond city should be selling a very useful semi-auto combat shotgun
-A little further along in the main quest (when looking for a guy named Valentine) you'll encounter a bunch of enemies using an automatic submachine gun in .45

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Frankenoodle posted:

Genuine question: How can you say this? On Survival, a pack of 3 ghouls will instagib me if it weren't for Dogmeat distracting them as I shoot them with 65 laser blasts. I sometimes need to use every tactic and drug at my disposal just to live. That Corvega factory was especially intense. I had to bait them and use mines and molotov cocktails. In a straight up fight, two or three raiders will just kill me. I can usually get one in VATS before I really start hurting, and if there are two left when I'm out of AP, it's not a fight I'm going to win.

What are you doing differently that makes it easy?

In Fallout 3 and NV, the game eventually got easy when I had a killer Shishkebab or a .50 Sniper Rifle, but in Fallout 4 at level 10 or so, Survival is a bitch.

So it seems that the ai will stop rushing you if there's enough world geometry between you two. If I trigger a fight I just back the gently caress up a couple hundred feet and take cover and take potshots with non automatic weapons. Eat food during fights. Let dog be stupid and distract me. General idea is take your time. Ghoul ambushes I just reload and jump on top of objects so they can't reach. Super mutants just snipe em. Snipe everything.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

How do I get Sanctuary to have over 7 people? I have enough room for at least 10 but the beacon's not bringing in anyone else.

Also wow Righteous Authority is strong as hell for when you get it. The Institute weapons too but that just blows them away.

Keep happiness high is my best theory right now. I'll have settlements gain nobody for long periods of time and then suddenly gain several settlers in rapid succession.

So I really like the chameleon thing on armor but it takes away my gun sights, pip boy, and scopes so its kind of useless. Hope there is a fix for this soon.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Frankenoodle posted:

I just bought an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0, and two days later the Super-Super-Clocked version is $5 cheaper than the Super-Clocked version. Stupid Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3NK2LE?keywords=evge%20gtx%20970&qid=1447365280&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell

At any rate, at 1080p the SC version is pegged at 60 FPS with Ultra settings for most of the game. I got into Boston and it drops to 45-50 looking in certain directions down long streets. The value ratio of the 970 is great though. The 980 is barely better according to the Gamers' Nexus at 1080p.

What resolution you are running at is super important to what card you need for 60 FPS Ultra. If you run higher res, you might want a 980 Ti for twice the price, or you may need to dial the quality down a little.

Read this: http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2177-fallout-4-pc-video-card-fps-benchmark-all-resolutions

I'm running 1440 with a 970. Everything on ultra except God rays, which are at medium I think. Constant 60 fps, occasionally dips to 45.

Un ocd 3570k with 16gb ram, ssd. The 970 is also in ocd. I tried with God rays on ultra bit that did really dent the fps.

My room mate has it on xbone and pc looks way better. Though his screen is 720p so that might have something to do with it

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 12, 2015

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Ak Gara posted:

You should have still had your autosaves. Also I use the console to make manual named saves. "save gara1" then "save gara2" for eg.

Nope, autosaves are all gone.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
So I've been having an annoying bug - if I do something then quickload then the save doesn't properly load, it'll maintain some stuff from before I loaded. This could be as simple as being killed by mine, loading back up and the mine no longer being there. Or something like me accidentally killing someone then them being dead and everyone hostile when I load back in. Seems pretty serious, anyone else had this?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/281/

makes your pip boy light cast shadows so you can stop complaining about the lack of them in the year 2015.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Dialogue wheel working magic here:

:911:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
About Kellogg's memory, wiki has it that the NCR was founded in 2189, making him about a hundred when the game takes place.

Some odds and ends:
- Our hero apparently does not remember local geography from their pre-war life, else he/she should have a rough idea of where the major prewar landmarks are. Or they should simply be stored in the pip-boy to begin with.
- As noted before, nobody wants to question our hero about pre-war knowledge. Being former military, they might know something about supply depots and bunkers.
- For all his whininess, the Vault-Tec rep has to be extremely skilled or extremely lucky in order to survive the last 210 years.
- Are there no actual plasma weapons in the game? Haven't seen any up to level 35.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Kopijeger posted:

- Are there no actual plasma weapons in the game? Haven't seen any up to level 35.

Definitely saw some Plasma Guns for sale in Goodneighboor, and I've been picking up ammo for it for a while now.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Heliosicle posted:

So I've been having an annoying bug - if I do something then quickload then the save doesn't properly load, it'll maintain some stuff from before I loaded. This could be as simple as being killed by mine, loading back up and the mine no longer being there. Or something like me accidentally killing someone then them being dead and everyone hostile when I load back in. Seems pretty serious, anyone else had this?

I've definitely seen disappearing mines second time around. I spent quite a while creeping around being slightly confused as to why I wasn't blowing up before I worked out what was going on. I haven't yet had issues with hostility and stuff though, thank god. Too many times I'm clicking through some dumb conversation with a trader I've had ten times before, clicked once too many and accidentally shot them in the face.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kopijeger posted:

I saw some for sale in the institute, including a unique one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

I found a plasma pistol for sale in Diamond City at like level 14. I'm guessing they're super rare.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Heliosicle posted:

I've had a mine disappear when I died, so it happens to autosaves as well. Then I reloaded it again and it was there that time. :iiam:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
SETTLEMENT TALK:

So with supply lines totally setup and shops placed in my major settlement - I've not noticed any obvious benefits outside of having all my junk in one pool. Do settlements generate junk faster? Are they making me money? How do I tell and is it being deposited straight into my inventory?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So I sent the reporter girl to the airport and she seems to be behind the south east wall in that little area. Is she stuck back there forever? I can hear her talking but the doors are just textures and I can't interact with her.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm gonna take that legendary spawn mod, not really into the other ones you made, but I like there's mods like that already now :)

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny. It seemed like no enemy has had them so far, plus they do not show up in loot crates. Also, I have seen 2 mm ammunition a few times (possibly for a Gauss Rifle), but no weapon that uses it.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I've been having an annoying bug, but it's related to the fact that Intel still hasn't released a Windows 10 Compatible driver for their integrated graphics card, which is loving ridiculous.

The game runs fine, it's just sometimes the graphics card driver basically says, "WAIT, THIS IS WINDOWS 10, NOT WINDOWS 8" and, stuck with that realization, melts away.

Mind you, I am playing on literally the lowest possible settings, but it's still been very enjoyable.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So at some point does it make sense to just start selling weapons you find rather than scrapping them? I'm level 14 and still haven't made it to diamond city... figuring I should head there so I can access some vendors finally to sell things I stockpile.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there any point to turning on that assault bot at the robot junkyard? I can't see any point to fighting it since I assume it'll go aggro like the protectrons always do.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

MMD3 posted:

So at some point does it make sense to just start selling weapons you find rather than scrapping them? I'm level 14 and still haven't made it to diamond city... figuring I should head there so I can access some vendors finally to sell things I stockpile.

i would never scrap a gun because they just give steel which cars and other items in the world give in larger quantities. I took someones advice and am selling all my guns and have a little over 1000 caps and lvel 7. There is a trader south of concord and there is a taveling merchant named lazy bitch who has a brahmin that follows her around. These are the onoyy two traders Ive found before diamond city though.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Are automatics viable at all? I didn't really bother with them because I seem to waste too much ammo with them, plus I love bolt action rifles too much. I love this weapon customization system, I have a rifle for every situation and it's great.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I'm not far in, but it really seems like it depends if you have the perks that give you advanced mats for scrapping stuff. Without it, must stuff just gives steel which is everywhere.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Glitches can be life-saving, apparently.

So, I was just wandering away from Varham (for those who know) when suddenly a Legendary Radscorpion pops out of nowhere.

"Oh poo poo!" I say to myself as I begin to run away.

Said Radscorpion keeps burrowing, reappearing, burrowing, reappearing. It digs underground again, a message pops up: "Legendary Radscorpion Hunter has mutated!" Double poo poo!

Then, it starts yelping in pain over and over again.

Huh?

It got stuck next to a rock formation underground and its health bar was draining rapidly. Then, suddenly, it ejects like a cannon from the ground, sailing over my head and landing in a crumpled heap next to me.

It drops an irradiated pistol or whatever (Irradiated Calibrated Pipe Revolver Pistol) that does 50 addition radiation damage for each hit (24+50=74) and has a knife on the end. Ooooookay.... I guess I'll take it! :haw: 3 Mirelurks appeared soon after, so either the Mirelurks somehow killed the Radscorpion or the Radscorpion got stuck on the rock geometry and died from that.

Bethesda glitches are the best glitches. :allears:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 13, 2015

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man there are all these locations but I can't help that I am sometimes pre-running locations that will be quest locations in the future

This already happened to me where I cleared an area on my travels, randomly coming across it on my way to a quest objective. After I rerolled I didn't come across it and received a quest to clear it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Starhawk64 posted:

Are automatics viable at all? I didn't really bother with them because I seem to waste too much ammo with them, plus I love bolt action rifles too much. I love this weapon customization system, I have a rifle for every situation and it's great.

I have an automatic pipe rifle because I seem to always have tons of whatever ammo pipe guns use. Works a treat for mowing down lovely enemies like low level raiders, bugs, and ghouls. Also converted my 10mm pistol to be automatic at some point because I have a real hand cannon now and I don't need to be precious with 10mm ammo.

I also have a decently modded combat rifle that uses .44 ammo that I also seem to have a ton of, but I haven't felt the need to put a fully automatic receiver on it yet because it's already so devastating as a semi.

With the way the part system works in the game, you could build an automatic receiver for any gun and give it a try. You'll have the old receiver waiting for you to swap back for free if you find it's too ammo hungry or whatever.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Does sneak ever not suck horrible dick? I have rank 3 (rank 4 in two levels), and it's not possible to stealth kill in any timely matter. Kill someone? Now I have to wait 90 seconds for caution to go back to "hidden." Not to mention people just look at me sneaking from 100 feet away (moving slowly) and see me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Meowbot posted:

i would never scrap a gun because they just give steel which cars and other items in the world give in larger quantities. I took someones advice and am selling all my guns and have a little over 1000 caps and lvel 7. There is a trader south of concord and there is a taveling merchant named lazy bitch who has a brahmin that follows her around. These are the onoyy two traders Ive found before diamond city though.

There are merchants at a farm really close to Sanctuary and a diner I found on the way to the Corvega Factory. Tenpines Bluff also has a caravan that never seems to actually move, but maybe that's just in my game. I randomly found a ghoul doctor that would buy/sell but she also lives in an insanely irradiated place.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fluted barrel for pipe rifle removes bloom completely for automatic recievers, making them really accurate SMGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The most helpful glitch I've seen so far was when I was trying to stop a bad guy from killing a friendly NPC at the end of a certain quest. I failed to save the guy a few times because you have to be really fast and precise to pull it off and because the game decided I should start combat facing away from the guy I'm supposed to shoot (Piper said something before the combat started, so John Fallout would be looking at her instead of the enemies). So, on one of these attempts I shoot the bad dude once (if your first shot misses, you're pretty much hosed) and he just completely stops moving, just standing there until I kill him. Eh, I'll take it.

• Locked thread