Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragon Quest IX is very good but I completely misunderstood the job system at the time I played it (I stayed with one job at a time thinking I'd lose points if I changed occupations) which made my playthrough a lot more tedious than it probably needed to be. I should go back and replay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's also a shame that a lot of post game content is now forever inaccessible

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Calaveron posted:

It's also a shame that a lot of post game content is now forever inaccessible

A lot (possibly all) of the bonus 'online' content already exists on the cart, you just need to unlock it. I used an action replay to do it after Nintendo shut down their servers.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
There's also a save editor around that you can use, if you're playing it emulated or on a flashcart.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder if they'll get around to a DQ9 3DS port before the 3DS kicks the bucket.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
One day about two or three years ago I wandered into a GameStop in the middle of God-forsaken nowhere hoping to buy a copy of DQ9. I knew that it was the most recent of the four DS ports and would probably be the least expensive and the most likely to be in stock in the pre-owned case. Ironically, they *didn't* have 9, but they had 4, 5 and 6 in stock at prices less than online, so I gobbled them all up. I normally try not to worry much about graphics, but I love how those games look - very charming and twee.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wonder if they'll get around to a DQ9 3DS port before the 3DS kicks the bucket.

VII first, you bastard!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you play the NES version of DQIV skip the Iron Safe in chapter 3. Not only does it permanently take up a slot that is better used by a Sword of Malice (full inventory of them, for money in Chapter 5) but it vanishes in chapter 5 anyways, so if you want it for the main game you need to just wait until chapter 5 to get it.

God forbid somebody do something that's not the most efficient possible action.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

John Lee posted:

God forbid somebody do something that's not the most efficient possible action.

Have you played DQ4? It's reasonable advice considering how many times you have to haul weapons and armor back and forth in Chapter 3, not even counting the carryovers of the Swords of Malice. I mean if you really like the Iron Safe in chapter 3, sure, go nuts, we're not gonna bust down your door and turn off the power button without holding reset.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's also useful to skip the chests in the silver statuette's cave since Taloon isn't hurting for ways to make money and the gear in those chests is really drat good for the Hero, Nara, and Mara. Taloon's chapter is fun but on the NES there's no reason not to just skip the Safe due to limited inventory, or the chests so that your Chapter 5 party can get solid gear almost immediately. :shrug:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I'm playing through DQM2 3D, and I need help identifying a monster I've never seen before. It's a giant monster(s) that I can only describe as the1940's mafia. It's got a golem and bunch of Tommy Gun wielding Platypunks wearing fedoras. It's kicking rad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dhoulmagus' second form messed me up.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

In Training posted:

Dhoulmagus' second form messed me up.

I think that's the hardest fight in the game. You get Multiheal right around that time so if you don't have it yet grind a couple levels until you do. It makes the fight much easier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Draile posted:

I think that's the hardest fight in the game. You get Multiheal right around that time so if you don't have it yet grind a couple levels until you do. It makes the fight much easier.

I beat it with some equipment upgrades via the alchemy pot, cheers.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm liking Dragon Quest Heroes. Is it and does it stay entirely linear the entire time? It's fun but there appears to be zero choice between missions other than skill point allocation and the apparently linear item acquisition.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm liking Dragon Quest Heroes. Is it and does it stay entirely linear the entire time? It's fun but there appears to be zero choice between missions other than skill point allocation and the apparently linear item acquisition.

Yes but you'll get quests to do that take place in areas you've already been to, and sometimes treasure maps that are akin to quests, too. I believe there's usually also "Showdown" challenges you can do where you fight bosses again.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Nickoten posted:

Yes but you'll get quests to do that take place in areas you've already been to, and sometimes treasure maps that are akin to quests, too. I believe there's usually also "Showdown" challenges you can do where you fight bosses again.

Additionally there's extra fights post-plot that you haven't seen yet, DQ9 style.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It looks like Dragon Quest Heroes is coming to Steam.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Well, crap. I didn't think they were going to do that!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Well, crap. I didn't think they were going to do that!

No one expects Japanese developers to port to Steam.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sold! And here I was thinking I'd finally need a PS4. Great news!

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Well I bought the PS4 version in hopes of getting a PS4 soon enough to play it but it would be cheaper to buy the game again to play it on my PC instead :shepface:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Vinchenz posted:

Well I bought the PS4 version in hopes of getting a PS4 soon enough to play it but it would be cheaper to buy the game again to play it on my PC instead :shepface:

You're doing your part to get more DQ games west.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

I was in this case since Koei has been p good about porting Musou games over

Wasn't expecting to see news this soon tho

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Have they said anything about which version the PC port is being modeled after? All of TK's ports have been based on the previous generation (PS3) version but given Square Enix is involved I have some faith they'll port the superior version.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
for some reason I am not getting that in my update window. I have 7 things and none of them are for DQH

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
yeah its weird there isn't a steam page for it yet, even though others have apparently seen the update page

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:woop: :toot: :dance: :neckbeard:

Reasons to buy a PS4 just got cut in half. Come on Disgaea 5, get a PC release too!

TurnipFritter posted:

jRPGs are actually doing pretty well on PC since mobile's devouring the console market over there. This is still unexpected and wonderful news though.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I would buy the games so hard if they were available on steam.

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:neckbeard: Rejoice, past me! The day is near! :neckbeard:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently 7 and 8 3DS just got announced for North America?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

TurnipFritter posted:

If this is any indication, yeah

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

To restore light to the world, team up with the mysterious creature Midna and embrace the darkness to transform into a divine wolf.
Fight through labyrinthine dungeons, survive puzzling traps, and meet a cast of characters you'll never forget in this legendary Zelda adventure.
You can also get an exclusive Wolf Link / Midna amiibo and add bonuses to this title and the upcoming Legend of Zelda game for Wii U, launching in 2016.

Wow they changed a lot in the 3DS version.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Wow they changed a lot in the 3DS version.

Part of me is hoping this is accurate. Another part of me is hoping it's actually a Gabo+wolf amiibo.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ooh it's on Nintendo Direct right now. Early summer 2016 for 7. 2016 for 8.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This has been a good day for Dragon Quest fans. VII and VIII 3DS getting localized and Heroes coming to Steam.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Of course that would announce that after I bought the PSX version of 7 about a month ago.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
DQVII 3ds is awesome. DQVIII not so much, but I hope they both sell well here.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

TurnipFritter posted:

Yep, officially even.
"Summer 2016" for 7 and "2016" for 8.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/664935567478493185

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/664935732549586945

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised that SE is actually going in on the 3DS like this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

DQVII 3ds is awesome. DQVIII not so much, but I hope they both sell well here.

why? is 8 supposed to be bad? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm so happy guys. I never gave up hope. DQ7 3DS is real.