Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am ashamed to admit that I buy David Cage games as day one releases. Is this a safe space for me to admit that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am ashamed to admit that I buy David Cage games as day one releases. Is this a safe space for me to admit that?

Only if you don't mind getting laughed at

I do too, though after the last one not again

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

grrarg posted:

Their E3 presentation was a good start, but it was not enough to make up for SE deciding that a F2P game was the proper followup to Sleeping Dogs.

I think United Front Games were the ones pushing for Triad Wars. Square Enix are just dumb for going along with it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

4. Is EDF 4.1 a straight port of 2025, or is there additional content?

It's the same game but with more stuff and improvements. Like the cave missions are actually dark now and you have flashlights and stuff, there are new vehicles, it runs better, that sort of thing.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

What you do with your six figgies is up to you.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
David Cage games are good rentals or if you can get them for really really cheap, people just get pissed off at him because his games have zero replay value, but if you can get them for like $10 they are OK.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I like them because I was brainwashed as a young boy by the 3DO into thinking that FMV games were the future. I love me the idea of being able to "play" a movie and so far David Cage and his weird games of questionable redeemability are as close as I can come to that :/

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

El Hefe posted:

David Cage games are good rentals or if you can get them for really really cheap, people just get pissed off at him because his games have zero replay value, but if you can get them for like $10 they are OK.

exactly. if you spend more on the game than on the booze you use for the david cage drinking game then you dun hosed up

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I didn't know the dog couldn't die and I felt so bad when he yelped in battle that I started ordering him to stay outside of firefights out of the emotional toll his death would take on me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still think Heavy Rain is pretty okay for a single playthrough, though not good enough to justify Cage's auteur status at Sony.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At this point I figure Sony keeps him around because having his weird brand of games diversifies their first party portfolio, also because they apparently sell at a Greatest Hits tier.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

heavy rain is good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also Square Enix published deus ex and tomb raider and life is strange and sleeping dogs so that is like 50% of all the good games released in the last few years

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Someone else covered that. This was FF related.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Policenaut posted:

At this point I figure Sony keeps him around because having his weird brand of games diversifies their first party portfolio, also because they apparently sell at a Greatest Hits tier.

How many copies does a game need to sell in order to get a Greatest Hits version?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's no bright line, it's whatever they think would sell more at a lower price point than it would cost to reprint it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

J-Spot posted:

I think United Front Games were the ones pushing for Triad Wars. Square Enix are just dumb for going along with it.

It's more likely that Square-Enix commissioned the online game after Sleeping Dogs didn't do as well as they hoped. At the time, they planned on using Eidos IPs to make online games. They did the same when they cancelled the singleplayer Legacy of Kain and remade it into a F2P multiplayer game.

UFG is an independent developer and not in a position to refuse work wherever they can get it. When Activision stopped development on Sleeping Dogs (it was True Crimes Hong Kong at the time) the developer had to lay off much of its staff until Square-Enix purchased the rights.

axleblaze posted:

I still think Heavy Rain is pretty okay for a single playthrough, though not good enough to justify Cage's auteur status at Sony.

In French gaming/development circles, he has the reputation of being the country's Hideo Kojima. David Cage has been knighted and received several civilian French awards for his work. I never completely understood it but a lot of aspiring French developers, such as Dontnod, look up to him and see him as a success story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sunning posted:

It's more likely that Square-Enix commissioned the online game after Sleeping Dogs didn't do as well as they hoped.

They also caught a ton of flack for their hopes being way out of alignment with reality, like calling that and the Tomb Raider reboot a failure when they sold only 3-4 million copies each.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

epitasis posted:

also Square Enix published deus ex and tomb raider and life is strange and sleeping dogs so that is like 50% of all the good games released in the last few years

Never played life is strange, but the tomb raider reboot was only average, IMO. Sleeping dogs and Deus Ex were both 10/10 however. The new Deus Ex has got me very excited

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

haveblue posted:

They also caught a ton of flack for their hopes being way out of alignment with reality, like calling that and the Tomb Raider reboot a failure when they sold only 3-4 million copies each.

It's all a matter of perspective. Selling 3-4 million is pretty good for a mid-tier game that is made on a strict two year development schedule by medium sized team. On the other hand, Square-Enix had given their newly their newly acquired Eidos properties a great deal of time and money. For example, Tomb Raider 2013 underwent two project reboots over a five year development cycle and had an unprecedented marketing campaign for the company. The idea was to spend a lot of money to launch the games and follow it up with sequels on a shorter development cycle.

At the time, their Japanese business was spiraling out of control. FF14 was a costly failure when it was meant to buoy the Eidos acquisition. Their other Japanese games were struggling to compete internationally or even pass the low bar of coming out at all. While it was foolish to have so much faith in these games in such a competitive market, I can't blame them for thinking their Eidos games would be their ace in the hole. When their Japanese games were beginning to struggle, Deus Ex Human Revolution had turned out to be a critical and commercial hit after they had given Eidos Montreal extra time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What're the best offline 2-player games (split screen or whatever) for the PS4 right now, excluding sports games? I'm not picky about genre, already have Mortal Kombat X.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

What're the best offline 2-player games (split screen or whatever) for the PS4 right now, excluding sports games? I'm not picky about genre, already have Mortal Kombat X.

The Lego games and Diablo 3 come to mind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

guilty gear xrd, i'm not kidding, makes mortal kombat x and western culture itself seem lame as gently caress

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have no idea whether xrd is a good game, and honestly I don't care, but what they did with that game visually is incredibly impressive

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you are down with a somewhat involved and dorky RPG, Divinity: Original Sin is extremely fun and is supposed to have some of the mosre interesting co-op out there. I've only played SP but I can see how it would be great CO-OP.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

He's right

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry all Western culture. This anime with giant swords and tittays has bested every one of your accomplishments.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Real hurthling! posted:

guilty gear xrd, i'm not kidding, makes mortal kombat x and western culture itself seem lame as gently caress

mortal kombat x doesn't need anything else to make itself look lame af

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It eventually has several forks off one main quest chain, but you have to concede that without knowing a bunch of geometry glitches / running past a bunch of deathclaws at sub level 5, you have to do the quests in a certain order or a whole bunch of fairly important characters won't even talk to you, and they make it pretty difficult to get out of the left hand side of the map.

I'm saying linear in comparison to 3, which basically opened a door after the tutorial and dropped you in the middle of an open map.

I don't care if this has been addressed in the intervening pages, because this line of argument is so soft to the point of idiocy that I have to refute it every single time it comes up until people stop bringing it up.

The only reason New Vegas feels more linear than Fallout 3 is because it has enough of a story that you can draw a line, as opposed to F3's five half-baked vignettes, one of which is an unavoidable bottleneck filled with unkillable NPCs that you have to do a quest for, otherwise you can't proceed in the story.

In terms of actual "open geography", Fallout 3 forces you through the Metro to access most of the east side of the map. Deathclaw Junction is not the only alternate way to New Vegas, and getting through it does not require glitching. Those Stealth Boys were not accidents, either, and were placed there to facilitate this method of reaching New Vegas. This doesn't even note that you are relatively free to go anywhere south of New Vegas, which is basically the majority of the map. You just have to be careful where you go sometimes, because there are things that are dangerous in the game world and the level scaling is not as forgiving as Fallout 3.

The biggest reason why Fallout 3 "feels more open" is that they equally space encounters throughout the map and the level scaling means it's easy to go anywhere. However, this also means that there's dumb poo poo like a hotel in the middle of nowhere, and there is no distinction between exploring the mountains and exploring the plains. New Vegas has more clumping and a lined path of settlements because it respects the terrain, and shockingly people prefer to build near roads and rivers for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry all Western culture. This anime with giant swords and tittays has bested every one of your accomplishments.

Yes

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NESguerilla posted:

it wasnt even a close fight

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fallout stuff

I've never understood that argument either. I always felt NV had sense of freedom in exploration that was even better than FO3. Also, it was just flat out more fun to explore since the environments were much more varied. I never felt railroaded at all. I think death claw junction was one of the first places I went and I weasled my way through it (although I think I went back eventually for the more traditional route)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you know real katanas are pretty weak and like any European sword can chop them in half?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Did you know real katanas are pretty weak and like any European sword can chop them in half?

You can repair them with tape.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd like to see how these euro swords stand up to 8 feet of spray painted cardboard and craft foam, oiled to perfection in KFC grease.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I've never understood that argument either. I always felt NV had sense of freedom in exploration that was even better than FO3. Also, it was just flat out more fun to explore since the environments were much more varied. I never felt railroaded at all. I think death claw junction was one of the first places I went and I weasled my way through it (although I think I went back eventually for the more traditional route)

frankly, I found the world of new vegas way, way less interesting to explore. the writing was better but the open world was definitely not. didn't help that they made zero improvements to the actual gameplay (it's a crime that it took this long to add the ability to run to these games)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Swords aren't universally useful martial weapons like fiction makes them out to be either, but who cares about that in videogames.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 13, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aphrodite posted:

Japan had really poo poo steel, that's why anyone who could make a decent sword was so highly praised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cloud Strife, a white soldier with basically the AMERICA of swords defeats Japanese pretty boy Sephiroth with his giant stupid anime katana.

• Locked thread