Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Yes, from a corporate landlord who ensured that all deficiencies were fixed incredibly promptly, because they had their own maintenance staff. I'm saying that if you were renting from a private landlord and if they were either being obstinate or you couldn't reach them, it would be reasonable to get the work done yourself provided it can't wait (access to a shower is pretty much #2 on the list of things I need to live, right after access to a toilet).

My friend who acts as an amateur landlord would certainly appreciate his tenants taking care of poo poo themselves, and then withholding the cost (provided it's reasonable) from the rent. They've done this before and there's been no problem; it's one less thing he has to look after.

From the Ontario Landlord Tenant Board FAQs:

quote:

Can I withhold rent because my landlord isn’t properly maintaining my building or unit?

No. If you withhold rent, the landlord can give you a notice of termination for non-payment of rent and then file an application to evict you.

Seriously people, do not do this.

e: also,

quote:

Withholding rent
A tenant should not withhold any part of the rent, even if the tenant feels that maintenance is poor or a necessary repair has not been done. A tenant should file a Tenant Application about Maintenance with the Board (T6). A tenant can be evicted if they withhold rent without getting approval from the Board. If a tenant files a maintenance application with the Board, the tenant may ask the Board to allow them to pay some or all of their rent into the Board until their application has been decided. It will be up to the Board to determine whether or not to grant the tenant’s request. There is a form called Request to Pay Rent to the Board on a Tenant Application About Maintenance that tenants should use. This form is available from the Board.

(from here)

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Okay, so then get it done, and go to the board if the landlord refuses to pay it instead of withholding rent right away arbitrarily. The point is: no one should have to live in a dwelling with no access to a shower and/or a toilet. Those things are about as non-negotiable as it gets.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Okay, so then get it done, and go to the board if the landlord refuses to pay it instead of withholding rent right away arbitrarily. The point is: no one should have to live in a dwelling with no access to a shower and/or a toilet. Those things are about as non-negotiable as it gets.

No, everyone else's point is that while you should have access to a shower or a toilet, going around the law and deciding to withhold rent yourself is a great way to get a working shower and toilet, but quickly find yourself on the street because randomly deciding to not pay your full rent is a great way to get yourself evicted, because while your landlord is following the law, you are not.

No matter how right you may be morally, in practice and reality your advice is terrible and would get you evicted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

No, everyone else's point is that while you should have access to a shower or a toilet, going around the law and deciding to withhold rent yourself is a great way to get a working shower and toilet, but quickly find yourself on the street because randomly deciding to not pay your full rent is a great way to get yourself evicted, because while your landlord is following the law, you are not.

No matter how right you may be morally, in practice and reality your advice is terrible and would get you evicted.

Okay, then do what I just suggested in my most recent post: get it fixed (provided the landlord will not), and then go to the relevant authority and get permission before withholding rent. You shouldn't just go "gently caress it" and shower anyway, if it's going to cause further damage.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

e: also lmao the rest of this series allows comments but this article does not I WONDER WHY

To be honest, since the magazine is obviously cherry picking her case as one that will draw the most attention, it's kind of cruel to allow comments which are going to be uniformly brutal.

I blame this person's parents more than anything else.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Definitely go gently caress it and shower anyway a bit of water damage never hurt anyone..

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

jm20 posted:

Not sure how you can declare bankruptcy within a year, probably turned an amazing idea into another Canadian failed business

She came back within a year but declared bankruptcy several years after that. She never had a real job, just lots of rich quick "entrepreneur" schemes. She even started trying hosting seminars herself at one point.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

Why would you advertise that you are such a terrible idiot??

http://torontolife.com/city/life/emily-smibert-cost-of-living/

This is the worst loving country, holy poo poo.

e: also lmao the rest of this series allows comments but this article does not I WONDER WHY

I've honestly wondered if those articles about boomers supporting their kids were true. I had no idea they would pay for their lifestyle and condo lease or whatever. People I know might live at home past 30 which seems like it's the new normal, but hell paying 40k for your kids lifestyle, maybe they are very well off.

edit: while doxxing her it seems she went to Ryerson, UVA, and NYU SCPS.

Moved to the UK (2012) to

Live-in Tutor and Family Personal Assistant
Private High Net Worth Family

Now is in 4th internship at magazines, which pays nothing...

Reverse Centaur posted:

She came back within a year but declared bankruptcy several years after that. She never had a real job, just lots of rich quick "entrepreneur" schemes. She even started trying hosting seminars herself at one point.

It's a hard lesson but she will be eating canned food for life, she should share her story for some new series on how boomers are bankrupting themselves.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 13, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How do you go bankrupt when your parents are supporting your lifestyle to the tune of $40k/year and you have any alternate income? Like, if you can't live on that without going bankrupt, gently caress off and die already.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
CI is it normal for all these oil tankers to be hanging around?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-95/centery:29/zoom:8

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

How do you go bankrupt when your parents are supporting your lifestyle to the tune of $40k/year and you have any alternate income? Like, if you can't live on that without going bankrupt, gently caress off and die already.

Separate people.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

CI is it normal for all these oil tankers to be hanging around?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-95/centery:29/zoom:8

I don't know.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/BDIY:IND

The Baltic Dry index tells us container ship costs are low. I'm not sure this includes tankers though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/664888687612809216

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/664877320965120001

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Baltic Dry is getting ducked right now because of how many ultra-capacity freighters came online this year. There's more excess laid up right now than since 2008.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And I'll just leave this here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-12/five-strange-things-that-have-been-happening-in-financial-markets

I don't fully understand this but it sure as gently caress doesn't sound good.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cultural Imperial posted:

And I'll just leave this here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-12/five-strange-things-that-have-been-happening-in-financial-markets

I don't fully understand this but it sure as gently caress doesn't sound good.

I read that too and felt the same way, passed it to a real live (paid for doing it!) economist buddy and they could barely parse it either.

We live in a new time and have a new global economy. poo poo is going to look weird and different. Maybe that means good, maybe bad. I wouldn't place a bet either way until we see a real trend.

(Don't bet on Canada though.)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

The Butcher posted:

I read that too and felt the same way, passed it to a real live (paid for doing it!) economist buddy and they could barely parse it either.

We live in a new time and have a new global economy. poo poo is going to look weird and different. Maybe that means good, maybe bad. I wouldn't place a bet either way until we see a real trend.

(Don't bet on Canada though.)

I kinda think this is just a harbinger for some cataclysmic event when the Fed raises rates.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Separate people.

Ah, never mind. I don't often read links (it angries up the blood) and I got confused about which people we were supposed to be upset about and why.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle27240852/

quote:

Oil slump fallout starting to hamper other industries

Pain from the fall in oil prices is broadening beyond the energy sector and showing itself in an array of Canadian companies, from financial services to heavy equipment, real estate and retail.

On Tuesday, oil prices dropped again on concerns about increasing U.S. supplies, with West Texas intermediate trading below $42 (U.S.) a barrel, a few dollars from August’s 6 1/2-year low.

The impact doesn’t end with oil companies. On Thursday, Finning International Inc. said it will cut 1,100 jobs in Canada and South America – on top of previous downsizing – and close 11 Western Canadian locations due to weaker sales. Finning, which caters to the mining, construction and energy sectors, said that combined with previous branch closings in British Columbia and Alberta, the company’s presence in Western Canada will be reduced by more than 20 per cent by late 2016.

“The adjustments we’ve made suggest that we expect this to go on for a little longer yet,” said Mauk Breukels, Finning vice-president of investor relations.

Exposure to oil and gas investments also caused turbulence in Manulife Financial Corp.’s results. On Thursday, the company announced that its third-quarter profit of $622-million was down 43 per cent from a year earlier, which it said was largely driven by the decline in value attributed to oil and gas investments. This marks the fourth quarter in a row that the company’s results have been dealt a blow by these holdings.

Even Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd., which reported a solid rise in third-quarter profit Thursday, said it has seen weakness in its Alberta sales and a pinch in its Mark’s clothing division, whose sales of high-margin industrial apparel have been squeezed.

More than a year of low prices is hurting others with even a small interest in the fortunes of Canada’s oil and gas industry. Earlier this month, Liquor Stores N.A. Ltd. reported a drop in year-over-year sales for the third quarter, and highlighted softer store results in Northern Alberta oil production hubs such as Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie.

Office tower owners such as Office REIT, Artis REIT and Morguard Corp. have been caught in the downturn and have seen their shares drop as downtown Calgary office workers are laid off and commercial real estate rents plummet.

And as Telus Corp. announced 1,500 job cuts last week, it said it was making the work-force reduction in part to operate more efficiently but also due to “prevailing economic conditions,” citing the broader business market in Canada, and Alberta in particular. Chief executive officer Darren Entwistle noted that the company was not putting major emphasis on recruiting new wireless customers in Alberta “when there’s not a lot of receptivity to that, given the economic duress being experienced in that province.”

While the commodity downturn has put pressure on many businesses, it’s a buying opportunity for others. The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board has been increasing its investments in recent months – including its co-purchase of shale assets in northeast Colorado from an Encana Corp. subsidiary in a deal worth $900-million (U.S.) – and is still hunting for deals.

“As a long-term investor, we will be able to reap the benefits of that as the commodity cycle – eventually, at some point, who knows when – reverses,” said Mark Wiseman, CEO of the CPPIB.

Energy firms are still working through the oil price slide that began 17 months ago. On Thursday, Encana reported a third-quarter loss of $1.24-billion, mainly due to an after-tax impairment charge that was the result of declining commodity prices.

In an interview, Encana CEO Doug Suttles said the current low price environment will not generate the production needed to fulfill growing world demand. The supply glut will be worked out as companies shelve plans for new projects – predicted the third-generation Texas oilman – and higher crude prices will return in the second half of next year or in 2017.

“I don’t think it’s imminent, but I don’t think it’s super far away either,” Mr. Suttles said.

Hopefully this also means that hal_2005 will be imminently unemployed and left with no other options other than suicide.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Paging Pinterest Mom to talk about how strong our economy is right now. :allears:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

PT6A posted:

Okay, then do what I just suggested in my most recent post: get it fixed (provided the landlord will not), and then go to the relevant authority and get permission before withholding rent. You shouldn't just go "gently caress it" and shower anyway, if it's going to cause further damage.
If Canadian law is anything like British, the landlord is responsible for any problems arising from you using the fittings in the house in a reasonable way. If the shower hasn't been properly maintained and causes water damage to the apartment and/or apartments below when used, that's not your problem as a tenant; your landlord can deal with the complaints/lawsuits from the owners of the other units, or the water damage to his own property. I had a similar problem in a flat I rented some years ago - water from the kitchen plumbing in my flat was leaking and damaging the ceiling of the flat below mine. After much landlord-landlord bickering, my flat got a new kitchen suite and I got a few days' worth of rent paid back to me as compensation for the disruption.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

vyelkin posted:

congrats to her sucker parents for subsidizing a beauty trade publication by pimping out their daughter

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Yes, because this is clearly sustainable in the long term, the number of firms can only go up!

0% mobility can only happen if the sum of absolute movements within each sector is equal or nearly equal to the total amount of movement in or out. What the gently caress does this guy mean by " doesn't square"? Does he mean the unemployment figure provided is wrong, or that the per sector movement is off (and in what direction)? Yes, twitter, but that statement needs more explanation. Ughhh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle27240852/

Hopefully this also means that hal_2005 will be imminently unemployed and left with no other options other than suicide.

Hal isn't real he is a AI like Helios in Deus Ex.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

CBC Comments posted:

Vancouver in overrun with foreigners. There isn't a more perfect foreign investment market in the world. Rich Chinese know that other Chinese flock to live in BC. This makes BC real estate a relatively safe investment. Chinese millionaires buy BC real estate and sell/rent it to Chinese immigrants. It's almost insidious enough to be considered a hostile takeover. Chinese aren't even bad people but on this scale of immigration it is a very bad thing for Vancouver. It is basically a Chinese colony now

Your move CI

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've made it clear that I don't really care about mainlander immigration. I'm much more incensed by 60 thousandaires buying 600k apartments.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

jm20 posted:

I've honestly wondered if those articles about boomers supporting their kids were true. I had no idea they would pay for their lifestyle and condo lease or whatever. People I know might live at home past 30 which seems like it's the new normal, but hell paying 40k for your kids lifestyle, maybe they are very well off.

It definitely happens. I visited a friend I went to school with, she has this big 2 bedroom condo. Turns out her mom pays for it, surprise.

Her and her fiance just bought a house hmmm I wonder where that money came from

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sky news business channel in Australia is broadcasting Sydney auctions live.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

It definitely happens. I visited a friend I went to school with, she has this big 2 bedroom condo. Turns out her mom pays for it, surprise.

Her and her fiance just bought a house hmmm I wonder where that money came from

Asian?

For some reason asians really buy the whole you have buy property to be a worthwhile human being marketing pitch?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://imgur.com/qwAAPi5

Hey guys an education at langara is totally useful

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Real estate really is all this goddamn city can talk about

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Asian?

For some reason asians really buy the whole you have buy property to be a worthwhile human being marketing pitch?

Whitey is just as bad. It's a deep rooted cultural meme (think "the American dream") going back through history in various iterations.

Real estate obsession is a human thing, not a race thing.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
So, as you folks already know, Andy Yan's been receiving some flak for his latest research.

I don't know if it was already mentioned previously in the thread, but Matt Hern recently posted a rebuttal ("Matt Hern: Vancouver's core real-estate problem is profiteering and not whether buyers are of Chinese ancestry"). Here's a summary excerpt below:

quote:

The issue is not 'Chinese' money: the core problem facing our housing market is that it is a market, turning land and homes into property on which to speculate and profit. It makes no difference at all whether a particular investment in Vancouver's housing market comes from Chengdu or Calgary, Kerala or Kerrisdale. The causes of our current crisis are speculation, profiteering off of shelter, governments in default of obligations to ensure affordable rental housing, and a policy regime that consistently privileges the most wealthy among us. Those are the issues that we need to talk about, not the imagined or real ethnic background of buyers.

I'm genuinely surprised that the conversation hasn't been shut down by 'racism' this time around. Today's article by Douglas Todd is pretty good, and it confirms that Yan's methodology and ethical process was pretty drat sound. Another summary below:

quote:

"But was there anything about the study by Yan, who is acting head of Simon Fraser University’s City Program and a planner at Bing Thom Architects, that was “racist?” Leading Canadian figures in anti-racism organizations, in applied ethics, in urban planning, in immigration consulting and other fields say, “No.”"

[edit: added because next line sounds like CI would appreciate it]

"... As Yan said, race-baiting is especially suspicious when it comes from developers and politicians. “My great-granddad paid the head tax,” Yan has said. “So to somehow use (concerns about) ‘racism’ to protect your privilege? That’s just absurd. This is an almost uniquely Vancouver reaction...”

Here's another by Camilla Lade, a rebuttal directed towards Hern. Here's a choice quote, which I think nicely summarizes this whole situation (edit: but is kinda lol-worthy, considering political interests):

quote:

Why are we wasting our time accusing each other of racism and thereby immobilizing politicians into inaction? Instead of pointing fingers, we should be addressing creating fair, equitable policies and laws that benefit our ethnically diverse and unequal class system. Places like Hong Kong, Sydney, and Singapore have all done it. It is time we stopped pointing fingers and allowing wealthy developers to capitalize on our inaction.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 14, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

I was an Electronic Arts orphan, my dad worked 10am-10pm often seven days a week and I have virtually no emotional connection with him. It really hosed up my mom too, like I mentioned my dad's 30+ year old Seiko Digiborg watch was featured in a new video game (Metal Gear Solid) and my mom was like "I bought him that watch because it was one of the few that had an alarm in the 80s and it was supposed to remind him to come home." :smith:

Both my girlfriend and I work in Canada right now in the animation industry, and deal with lots of unpaid overtime and short contracts. We've discussed whether having kids one day is an option, but we're not sure how it's going to work out if the industry continues to be like this and demands pleasing clients at all costs at the expense of a work-life balance. Though she previously worked in China and says that there it is worse, because the company literally won't let you leave before 10 pm, whereas in Canada you can leave at regular hours if you've managed to finish your work.

But anyway, I have some American money in the bank so when this housing bubble pops maybe I can actually afford a condo. That'd be nice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Remember how the Irish bubble had similar signs, "Buy now you don't want to miss out!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lexicon posted:

Real estate really is all this goddamn city can talk about

It's all any city can talk about.

You know, "shelter", one of the bedrocks of human society since we started walking upright.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You know, "shelter", one of the bedrocks of human society since we started walking upright.

Shelter? Get out here with your socialist ideas commie, houses are for investment first and living second. All hail private property.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shelter is living in the basement of your multi million dollar Investment while the suckers upstairs pay your mortgage

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Shelter may well be an important topic to humans, but it takes Vancouver levels of obsession for the local university-college [sic] to reference novel zoning and the outsized returns on the west side on its own billboard advertisement for, you know, education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Christ, her parents contribute more than I make in a year to her lifestyle. And I still manage to save money.