Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010
Making PVE less of a faceroll isnt necessarily a bad thing, either. Hazres as it is feels pretty safe in a loaded Python unless you pick a fight with a wing of Condas or something. And even those kinds of odds are surmountable with the right tactics. The risk factor needs a boost yet at that level to keep things interesting, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

timn posted:

Making PVE less of a faceroll isnt necessarily a bad thing, either. Hazres as it is feels pretty safe in a loaded Python unless you pick a fight with a wing of Condas or something. And even those kinds of odds are surmountable with the right tactics. The risk factor needs a boost yet at that level to keep things interesting, imo.

I would think the fix would be "better PvE AI", not "make the ships out of paper".

That said, I can understand why the nerf is needed; but I am a little irritated that they're nerfing SCBs while still not touching the half-hour recharge time on conda shields. :sigh:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Toplowtech posted:

Armor still don't protect modules, does it?

It does in a rather indirect fashion. The more armor it has the less of a chance any shot has to penetrate and hit the module behind it. So the more depleted the armor, the higher the chance a shot has to penetrate, and the more base armor, the smaller the chance.

timn posted:

IMO it is a bad thing because they've made the game ultra grindy and with small payouts for almost any activity. So NPC farming is essentially an activity that revolves a shooting gallery of NPCs for very long periods of time, one NPC after another.

With this change, they've made ships be less sustainable, which, depending on how severe the windup time tax is for a new SCB activation, might make your efforts pay less over time. For no reason other than to spite PVPers.

As Ursine said, the 'proper' fix would be to make AIs harder, better pilots, and actually pay good money, and leave you limping after a fight, instead of cakewalks that are hardly challenging 90% of the time.

While I'm at it, the real fix for SCBs that would also make armor relevant would be to just make shields recharge near instantly after going down and not taking fire for x amount of time, say, 1 to 2 minutes. If you bit off more that you could chew, you'd have to fall back on your armor to keep you alive, and would also fix the Anaconda's (and every other ship's) ridiculous 25 minute shield recharge tax. Right now tho, SCBs perform an essential role in avoiding the recharge time tax, which is why I'm p much against any nerf to the way they work right now.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 12, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

With this change, they've made ships be less sustainable, which, depending on how severe the windup time tax is for a new SCB activation, might make your efforts pay less over time. For no reason other than to spite PVPers.

As Ursine said, the 'proper' fix would be to make AIs harder, better pilots, and actually pay good money, and leave you limping after a fight, instead of cakewalks that are hardly challenging 90% of the time.

While I'm at it, the real fix for SCBs that would also make armor relevant would be to just make shields recharge near instantly after going down and not taking fire for x amount of time, say, 1 to 2 minutes. If you bit off more that you could chew, you'd have to fall back on your armor to keep you alive, and would also fix the Anaconda's (and every other ship's) ridiculous 25 minute shield recharge tax. Right now tho, SCBs perform an essential role in avoiding the recharge time tax, which is why I'm p much against any nerf to the way they work right now.

We have to agree to disagree here, I hate SCBs. Especially the way they are now. I prefer putting more armor on my combat ships, or shield boosters. I can't be arsed to deal with some special snowflake modules I have to babysit in a fight, I'm bad enough at fighting as it is. :colbert:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Don't get me wrong, I don't like SCBs, I just accept them as a necessary evil. I just think there's a difference between appreciating the role they play and how nerfing them doesn't solve the underlying problem and saying SCBs are fine and you just need to Git Gud scrub.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chrysophylax posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like SCBs, I just accept them as a necessary evil. I just think there's a difference between appreciating the role they play and how nerfing them doesn't solve the underlying problem and saying SCBs are fine and you just need to Git Gud scrub.

where have I heard--

that one rear end in a top hat posted:

the BGS is fine and you just need to Git Gud scrub.

oh

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

Heh. I just ignore them completely. :v:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

That base :eek:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Haha its a whale. IMO it doesn't look good, it's a fat cargo clipper

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sekenr posted:

Haha its a whale. IMO it doesn't look good, it's a fat cargo clipper

okay

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wanna ramp that base wall

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Need a grilldos assessment on the Cutter, stat.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmrkDO9iFyw

I could gently caress in a lot of ships and locations recently revealed to us for this space game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

grilldos posted:

I could gently caress in a lot of ships and locations recently revealed to us for this space game.

ftfy

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

grilldos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmrkDO9iFyw

Thank you for your quick assessment, friend.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

:swoon: at everything.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

It does in a rather indirect fashion. The more armor it has the less of a chance any shot has to penetrate and hit the module behind it. So the more depleted the armor, the higher the chance a shot has to penetrate, and the more base armor, the smaller the chance.

IMO it is a bad thing because they've made the game ultra grindy and with small payouts for almost any activity. So NPC farming is essentially an activity that revolves a shooting gallery of NPCs for very long periods of time, one NPC after another.

If you're finding yourself in enough trouble in PvE to need to pop off multiple SCBs at once, you're already hosed up pretty gratuitously

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I only fit one SCB on my ships for PVE.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Bushiz posted:

If you're finding yourself in enough trouble in PvE to need to pop off multiple SCBs at once, you're already hosed up pretty gratuitously

That's not the only way to use multiple banks, tho. The setup I use on my Clipper uses two sets of C4 and C3 banks because I put a scoop on the C6 slot. Individually the banks are pretty lame but together they reup like half the shield in one go - A7 Clipper with 4 boosters gets like 550MJ of capacity, so it's about the only fast way to reup them. As a tradeoff you get like only 8 total reups, so you lose sustainability.

I also don't really use it to save my rear end and more between fights :shobon:

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 13, 2015

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Is there any station in game where I can buy a sweet new paint job for a ship, or are there only the real money versions?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

forkbucket posted:

Is there any station in game where I can buy a sweet new paint job for a ship, or are there only the real money versions?

Only real money versions, as far as I'm aware. (however you will still need to apply it at a station outfitting screen though, as you mentioned)

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

:hawaaaafap:

I really like the new ships, if you couldn't tell.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I'm fairly new to the game, but I do have a question after reading the op and sinking some hours. I'm following the suggested build for a mid-price range vulture, but can't seem to find any stations with the 5A Power Distributor or the 4B shield bank. Is there any particular way to narrow down my search other than "jump to random places and check every station outfitter"?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Vahalla posted:

I'm fairly new to the game, but I do have a question after reading the op and sinking some hours. I'm following the suggested build for a mid-price range vulture, but can't seem to find any stations with the 5A Power Distributor or the 4B shield bank. Is there any particular way to narrow down my search other than "jump to random places and check every station outfitter"?

You can use https://eddb.io/station to track down exactly what you want, but if you don't want to mess with that then try Diaguandri, Lembava, and 109 Piscium. That's my usual three stop run for outfitting new ships.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Is ranking up in a faction still entirely hosed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vahalla posted:

Go to your galaxy map, set the filters to “Economy: High Tech” and Population with the minimum slider at about the halfway mark. From there it’s still a little hit and miss, but there probably won’t be many that miss until you’re trying to A-class an Anaconda with 7s and 8s.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Chrysophylax posted:

They're not spiting PvP players, they're addressing a mechanic that comes close to breaking PvP because of how stupidly good stacked SCBs are. This is a good change for people who like PvP. The fact that a stupid mechanic compensates for another stupid mechanic in one context doesn't mean the solution is to maintain the tenuous balance of bad design decisions.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Toplowtech posted:

Armor still don't protect modules, does it?

Which is why I really, really dislike how defense works in this game. You can be at > 80% hull and lose a module due to Good Shots which is absolutely awful considering how crippling that is. It's just not a fun design.

I am also super mad at in game ship designers who had > 200 years to work on this poo poo and have not added massive reenforcement around critical modules. Fucks sake, guys.

timn posted:

That tactic is "shield boosts as often as possible." That's not good either.

I hate the idea of "health potions" but unless they make shields down a much less RNG fuckfest, the name of the game right now is keeping shields up.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 13, 2015

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Which is why I really, really dislike how defense works in this game. You can be at > 80% hull and lose a module due to Good Shots which is absolutely awful considering how crippling that is. It's just not a fun design.

I am also super mad at in game ship designers who had > 200 years to work on this poo poo and have not added massive reenforcement around critical modules. Fucks sake, guys.

Maybe they should buff up the strength of the more critical modules like the power plant and have more gradual damage effects, and make modules like weapons and utility slots weaker to encourage taking them out instead.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Rectus posted:

Maybe they should buff up the strength of the more critical modules like the power plant and have more gradual damage effects, and make modules like weapons and utility slots weaker to encourage taking them out instead.

I think the idea of automatically targeted systems is kind of bland considering the necessity of gimbaled weapons on any larger ship, so there will be a constant source of damage, and asking commanders to always present the Least Vulnerable Spot during encounters doesn't sound fun for anyone involved, considering the magnitude of getting your power plant or thrusters knocked out. Hell, even losing chaff is significant.

I think that the change of 0% PP takes you to 50% production is a good step but it also assumes commanders know this and how to properly power manage buuuut that also loops back into the abysmal introduction and lack of explanation in the game. People who know are OK with it (personally, I like having to figure it out for my outfittings), but it's super lovely to anyone who isn't socking the game and suffering Reddit and reading Wikis and annoying forums with questions.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Demoed Elite, including the galaxy map, with DK2, me realize just what an incredible technical achievement this is. If the BGS is an actual system then it must've been the work of a temp agency.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Having the game at least default to thrusters, sensors, life support and FSD at priority 1 and everything else at priority 2 would go a long way to helping newbies. At least they should then always have a chance to run away without having to learn on the spot how power management works.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Some more info on the impending SCB nerf all you poopsockers are looking forward to:

Sandro Sardino Sarny posted:

Hello Commanders!

As with all changes, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, so we look forward to everyone's feedback once the changes go to live test.

A few points though: the heat generated from using shield cells is based on the rating of the cell bank. Using lower rated cells will give you less heat at the cost of less shield regeneration. And of course, heat sinks are effective at cooling your ship down.

Using a cell every now and again isn't going to do much more than a little bit of module damage from heat, which in general is far better than taking hull damage (and it also plays into module malfunction more). It's also still possible to fit multiple shield cell banks and use them - you will need to manage power more carefully as there's a twenty or so second delay before a shield cell bank boots up after being powered.

The issue with shield cells has primarily been that without any strong restraint or penalty on usage, larger ships with plenty of internals could gain an advantage from them that outweigh most other aspects, making them a de facto choice or path of least resistance.

I don't want to remove them (and if I did, the complaint that large ships will get wrecked would surely be even more persuasive) and I don't want to inflict an arbitrary, hard limit (remember, this is not about creating an even playing field *between* combatants, it's about offering *competitive choices* for combatants). What these changes are for is to see if we can't decrease the effectiveness of shield cells, and especially chaining them, whilst increasing a potential alternative - hull reinforcement.

Now there's an interesting argument/fear about relying on hull rather than shields, which is sub-system sniping.

A little while back, we decreased the size of pretty much all sub-system targets significantly and we stopped the power plant destruction from being an instant kill. Gimbal and turret weapons suffer from inherent confusion, limiting their ability to hit small targets and we reduced the range of most weapon's penetration. Even still, sub-system targeting needs to be useful, otherwise why have it?

So will sub-system sniping become the new path of least resistance if shields break more often? That's something I'd like feedback about from these changes. If it turns out to be the case, we have multiple options to address it: we can increase module health, increase damage reduction for fitting hull reinforcement packages and of course scale back the penalties for shield cells, as well as offer protection from modules with the loot system.

So the point here, as is always the case when we make design tweaks, to try out stuff in anger and get feedback from it that will ultimately help us improve the game.

Do you think he means 20+ seconds from when you press the 'fire SCB' button, or 20+ seconds from when you activate a bunch of SCBs from the module tab on your RH panel?

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 13, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DarthBlingBling posted:

Some more info on the impending SCB nerf all you poopsockers are looking forward to:

Do you think he means 20+ seconds from when you press the 'fire SCB' button, or 20+ seconds from when you activate a bunch of SCBs from the module tab on your RH panel?

He means they take 20 seconds to come online after you power them up with the right hand panel.

This change means I'm going to have to take the beams off my python though.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Voyager I posted:

They're not spiting PvP players, they're addressing a mechanic that comes close to breaking PvP because of how stupidly good stacked SCBs are. This is a good change for people who like PvP. The fact that a stupid mechanic compensates for another stupid mechanic in one context doesn't mean the solution is to maintain the tenuous balance of bad design decisions.

I used the word 'spite' because I think PVP is a really bad joke in this game and balancing around an activity only the most hardcore of players even have the patience to engage in is a waste of development time and resources.
This whole thing seems motivated by the few people who got hit by a pirate encounter and said things like 'my Type-6 should have a chance against that pirate Python, if only it wasn't for cells :argh:!!!!', unironically. That's a paraphrase of a thing a person said, not hyperbole. In turn, this seems to have started a lot of armchair discussion by people who've never PVP'd but wanted those damned SCBs gone right now, because my skills on the stick ought to determine victory :argh:!!! without actually ever addressing why they're needed in the first place. This has been brewing for months, and seems to have ramped up during the Hutton CG, which stressed the game a lot between bad instancing, pointing out to anyone and everyone just how helpless the Types and trade fit ships in general are, and how nothing can really survive or fight on a 4v1 and hope to win - the game isn't/wasn't balanced around PVP and this CG showed everyone that. This SCB change will mostly only affect the 20 persons still doing PVP.

I'm glad to hear that it's only a 20 second wind-up, tho, it's shorter than I thought it'd be and won't penalize PVE too much.

By the way, here's a very large compiled QA about 1.5 and Horizons features, including SCBs. It seems they really want to kill big ships in PVP, and just changing their King-of-the-Hill status otherwise.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 13, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chrysophylax posted:

without actually ever addressing why they're needed in the first place.
You aren't actually addressing that either though, or at least only in the most vague way.

You need to articulate why these changes to SCBs bother you so much, and what glaring hole they're patching up. Given that lots of other people seem to be able to manage PvE fine without stacking tons of them, you think it might be a hole that's somewhat self inflicted?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

tooterfish posted:

You aren't actually addressing that either though, or at least only in the most vague way.

You need to articulate why these changes to SCBs bother you so much, and what glaring hole they're patching up. Given that lots of other people seem to be able to manage PvE fine without stacking tons of them, you think it might be a hole that's somewhat self inflicted?

This is what I feel the real fix to SCBs is.

Chrysophylax posted:

Essentially, I believe the problem to be the fixed 1MW recharge rate. It seems they made it this way so people doing combat would have something else to micromanage during combat, using SCBs, instead of a Halo-like shields on/off switch.

You can manage PVE without SCBs just fine, if you stick to certain patterns of flying or certain ships. Even on a Python at a CZ, if you manage your distributor Pips properly and know when to run you'll hardly need cells. But you do need them eventually - because this game's methods of making money by fighting all rely on staying there for very long periods and penalize you with a 10-20 minute tax on shield recharge if you ever let your shields go down.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 13, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, that's fair enough.

I think one or two changes at a time is the way to go though. More than that and it's hard to gauge what's affecting what. Some people seem to be suffering under the impression that this is the absolute last word on balance (gotta love reddit).

And who knows, maybe even some of the combat mission changes might alleviate the need to faceroll in REZs at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm convinced shield cells were a problem from the moment they were introduced as I can't even remember a time when anyone asked for them at all, it was like they just cold-dumped them on us with a patch. Nobody asked for space-health, but once they were in you were an idiot if you didn't take them as they are better than every other module if you have the space. You don't fit point defense (lol) or a wake scanner (lol) or anything else, you run shield cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The problem with nerfing SCBs is that stupid pubbies love unintuitive, overpowered poo poo.

They want there to be "One Weird Trick" to win a fight and SCBs provided it. If you ran a meta-SCB ship against people who didn't think to put 5 SCBs offline and cycle them you had a huge advantage.

Now you're taking away their "skill".

I'll give kudos to Frontier for actually following through with the nerf. To many developers just scream "EMERGENT GAMEPLAY" and ignore it when stuff is overpowered.

• Locked thread