Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

The kid looks kind of Native American. Is he the indian's kid or the oldest gearheartd son's?
I think he is Bear (the middle bearded&less macho son)'s son. His mother may be indian (maybe their hitman's sister?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
The actor has a super Romanian name -- Allan Dobrescu -- and so far all the Fargos have been really great about casting native americans to play native americans, so I don't think he's supposed to be. Last night we were trying to find info on him but there's almost nothing out there. In particular we were trying to figure out if he really has that limp and hand situation, which we're 99% sure he does in real life. But yes I think he's Bear's son.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Tell my Dad I'm ready to go back to school." :negative:

Illinois Smith posted:

Peggy being an actual magazine hoarder (we never saw much evidence of it after their first scene together at the dinner table until they revealed the basement this episode) makes a lot of sense for the dynamic between her and Ed. She can't let go of stuff, whether it's the mags in her basement or the life and relationship she's not happy with anymore.

It also gives a new context to her stealing the toilet paper from the beauty shop. I wonder if she even remembers/recalls that she did that, her look of confusion when her boss bought it up seemed genuine.

Edit: Just read a review that reminded me of Ed coming home in the first episode and struggling to find a seat because Peggy has magazines and newspapers everywhere. :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 10, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was some seriously intense and incredible television. My mouth was wide open for most of the episode. I love this show.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Show rules

What is wrong with Peggy? Is she retarded, depressed or just insane? Something is seriously wrong with that person, but is there a name for it?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
This show is awesome and I have no idea what's going to happen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not when Ash vs Evil Dead has 90% more Bruce Campbell!

KoRMaK posted:

some prog rock sound stuff like from earlier.

A subtle reminder of ALIENS

At this rate they'll pretty much have to play something by UFO in the finale.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Not when Ash vs Evil Dead has 90% more Bruce Campbell!

At this rate they'll pretty much have to play something by UFO in the finale.

The ufo stuff could be the teasers for the next season. They spread s2 hints last season in the same way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
S3's gonna be about an average Joe alien that kills a human that he was just supposed to be examining. He also runs afoul of the intergalactic mafia.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

waitwhatno posted:

The ufo stuff could be the teasers for the next season. They spread s2 hints last season in the same way.

Did I miss this? Explain

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

waitwhatno posted:

Show rules

What is wrong with Peggy? Is she retarded, depressed or just insane? Something is seriously wrong with that person, but is there a name for it?

She's too accustomed to pretending.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

SHOTS FIRED.

Somebody explain to me why you keep referring to the butcher as Fat Damon.

e- I was just going to post that I couldn't wait to see The Kitchen Brothers vs. Red Man.

Jesse Plemons at normal size looks kind of like Matt Damon, so people started calling him "Meth Damon" when he was on Breaking Bad. To me he's always Landry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jesse Plemons at normal size looks kind of like Matt Damon, so people started calling him "Meth Damon" when he was on Breaking Bad. To me he's always Landry.

He'll always be Ricky Hitler to me :allears:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Guys, we're only halfway through the season. The same amount of episodes are left as we've already seen.

This loving show.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

nopants posted:

What was the music that started right before the kid went into the butcher's shop for the throw down? It was so familiar, but I can't place it.

It's the song "On the Run" from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbvkS5BcIeo

...DARK SIDE OF THE MOON :spooky:. And over the credits, they used (again!) the song "Children of the Sun" by Billy Thorpe. It's the title track from his 1979 space-opera concept album.

I really like all of the music they've used this season. There's been a lot of weird and cool picks. Did they use as much big-name licensed music last season? I don't remember there being as much.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 11, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone have an idea on what all the alien poo poo is supposed to mean? Out of everything in the season, that stuff is really unnerving me because of how out-of-place and cryptic it is. It keeps ominously popping up in every episode yet it's so far off from anything else in the show that I have no idea what to make of it. I want to think that it's just some extended metaphor for something, but it's pretty clear that aliens have something to do with the actual plot somehow. I wonder if the writers will have the balls to end the season with an honest-to-god alien invasion.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Did I miss this? Explain

I don't think that's really accurate. There's a few mentions of some kind of massacre in Sioux Falls back in '79 but that's just about it. From that long interview with the creator guy posted earlier in this thread he said they didn't really plan season 2 very much while making season 1. IIRC he said they hadn't even decided to do the young Lou Solverson story until they had just about completed season 1.

edit: This article explains the process as well as recaps all the mentions of Sioux Falls in season 1.

quote:

Fargo showrunner Noah Hawley says that though he referenced whatever happened in Sioux Falls several times in season one, he didn't hit on making it the story for season two until near the end of the writing process.

"I had introduced this story about Sioux Falls ... mostly as a way to give Keith Carradine's character a way to relate to his daughter [Molly, played by Allison Tolman] and say, 'You know, I saw something when I was a cop that this seems very similar to. If I'm right, you may not want to go down this road.' Then because I thought it was funny, I had Gus Grimly's [Colin Hanks] boss say, 'It's Sioux Falls all over again,' and that there was some joint task force rodeo they were both part of."

At the time he wrote that line, Hawley didn't intend to go into any greater detail: "I sort of like sometimes when you throw stories in that you never explain," he says.

As he was working on the final scripts, however, "I started to think if we did another one of these, it might be kind of interesting to set it up on some level. So in the ninth and 10th hour I added a couple more allusions to the year."

So just what do all the Sioux Falls references in season one add up to? Not a ton, but enough to give the audience a sense of where the new story might go.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-season-two-clues-season-830603

frenton fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 11, 2015

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

HorseRenoir posted:

... but it's pretty clear that aliens have something to do with the actual plot somehow. I wonder if the writers will have the balls to end the season with an honest-to-god alien invasion.

And here we go!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Chadzok posted:

And here we go!

I'm mostly joking, but you don't put a literal UFO in the season premiere just for kicks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

its going to confirm what many of us have suspected for a long time: ronald reagan was a zombie alien

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

frenton posted:

I don't think that's really accurate. There's a few mentions of some kind of massacre in Sioux Falls back in '79 but that's just about it. From that long interview with the creator guy posted earlier in this thread he said they didn't really plan season 2 very much while making season 1. IIRC he said they hadn't even decided to do the young Lou Solverson story until they had just about completed season 1.

edit: This article explains the process as well as recaps all the mentions of Sioux Falls in season 1.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-season-two-clues-season-830603

There is also the porch scene in s1, where Lou remembers stuff from s2.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The song Children of the Sun that played when Rye killed the judge seems to talk about some aliens coming and everyone on earth being scared and greeting them or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPVATsLoA0

So uh yea maybe Alien Regan or whatever.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm mostly joking, but you don't put a literal UFO in the season premiere just for kicks

Molly also drew a picture for her mom with a UFO on it as seen in this last episode. The UFO shenanigans are great fun and I hope they don't stop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Goddamn it, this show. Was wondering after season 1 how they'd top it but they're blowing it out of the water already and we're only halfway through.

Think Bulo was a deliberate Barton Fink reference, or is it just in my mind because of the whole Coen bros. connection?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The rule of thumb for this show is if you think it's a Cohen Bros reference, it probably is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So the UFO stuff is just The Man Who Wasn't There? :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

Show rules

If it wasn't for the fact that she continued to drive a car with a person stuck in it, I'm almost tempted to say... nothing?

Her marriage has major communication issues - Ed pretty much decides the course of everything they do without really listening to her objections or having a real discussion about anything - he talks through her. The only times when she gets her way are when she reframes her desires in terms of his (gotta destroy the body or we won't be able to have the future you want) or does something underhanded like paying for her vacation-dealie w/o her husband's consent. In that particular case it was a direct, unsubtle choice between doing a thing for her own self-actualization or conceding to her husband's self-wrought plans. Living underfoot her husband hasn't made her totally mean, she still chose Ed over bailing out (and she originally wanted Ed to bail out with her but failed at convincing him), but it has made her a little duplicitous.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Active666 posted:

Molly also drew a picture for her mom with a UFO on it as seen in this last episode. The UFO shenanigans are great fun and I hope they don't stop.

She actually drew a lovely sun but then her mom's coffee cup left a stain on it that created a ufo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerkface posted:

She actually drew a lovely sun but then her mom's coffee cup left a stain on it that created a ufo

Rye saw a silver party balloon, Hanzee has PTSD from Nam which causes him to lose time, and Noreen likes to listen to her War of the Worlds soundtrack really loud in her upstairs apartment at night.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not-Walter is going to start the whole "Reagan was a lizard person" conspiracy

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Can lizards get crabs.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

This is what it looks like when Breaking Bad's infamous crawlspace moment happens to a man who actually is a good person and only looking out for his family.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that fucken cow painting

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 12, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I've been rewatching The Sopranos and I land on "A Hit is a Hit" and BAM. I see Mike Milligan in a dope suit and no hair. Had to verify it was him but the guy has a very recognizable face. Even without hair!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bokeem Woodbine's been around for a while, he's a hell of an actor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that fucken cow painting

Is :thejoke: that his dream is to murder all those cows?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

mobby_6kl posted:

That's my dream, too. Sweet, sweet cow murder.

Bokeem is so loving fantastic as Mike. I'm really loving how screeeeeeeewed Dodd's daughter is when she got involved with Mike. I give her another 2 episodes, maximum, before she gets killed.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dies: Ed, Dodd, Simone, Constance

Lives: Lou, Molly, Hanzee, Charlie

Aliens: Reagan, Peggy, Betsy, Milligan

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Need a .gif of Reagan patting Lou on the shoulder and walking out without answering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

i guess my interpretation of its significance is that it shows a group of cows all together and one cow off on its own. it's been shown more than once and i think the point it to show that ed (and maybe peggy? i don't remember her looking at it though) understand the tension in the relationship has a lot to do with the choice between whether to focus on the collective or the individual. the first time ed looks at it i got the impression that he understood himself to be with the group of cows, but peggy wants to be the solitary cow going to her hippie self-actualization seminar in sioux falls. then once the butcher shop burns down, ed looks at it again and he realizes the irony that peggy is now joining the herd by selling her car and he is the solitary cow by wanting to bolt. you could also read it as ed trying to pull peggy at first toward the herd, and then once the poo poo hits the fan trying to pull her toward the solitary side.

• Locked thread