Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
gentoo doesnt waste my time

power and cpu time, sure, but not *my* time, i just type 'emerge --sync && emerge -uDpv @world' and see what will be updated, make sure everything is good, then 'emerge -uD @world' and detach my screen/tmux session while it updates, same as i would do with any other distro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i rly like steam in-home streaming

currently cuddled up on the couch with wife, who is watching project runway while i am streaming pillars of eternity from my linux desktop to this linux laptop

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:byodood:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Lysidas posted:

currently cuddled up on the couch with wife, who is watching project runway while i am streaming pillars of eternity from my linux desktop to this linux laptop

its nice but its even nicer with a windows backend

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lysidas posted:

my wife is in either in the kitcehn preparing epic meals for me and my bros or sucking my cock. Nice beta bitch life, wimp.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

my wife is in either in the kitcehn preparing epic meals for me and my bros or sucking my cock. Nice beta bitch life, wimp.

your poor mother would box your ears in if she heard this ruckus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ahmeni posted:

your poor mother would box your ears in if she heard this ruckus

actually she would lol big time because shes a badass and has an epic sense of humor. :thurman:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i guess you could say i have a "nerd wife". i had the redhat site up last night on my laptop computer and she saw it and said "oh red hat i have heard of that" :smug:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smythe posted:

actually she would lol big time because shes a badass and has an epic sense of humor. :thurman:

she's certainly looking pretty happy right now iykwim

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Barnyard Protein posted:

i guess you could say i have a "nerd wife". i had the redhat site up last night on my laptop computer and she saw it and said "oh red hat i have heard of that" :smug:

epic

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my wife gets extremely mad at her computer. id say thats pretty 'yospos'

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Barnyard Protein posted:

lol if your wife doesnt know of 火車

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
my wife installs her own linux distro

its ubuntu :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

sever

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You wife is Mark Shuttleworth?

Tell her I wish her all the best with her transition

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

You wife is Mark Shuttleworth?

Tell her I wish her all the best with her transition

This post is so bad it belongs in GBS.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

goondolences

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ahmeni posted:

its nice but its even nicer with a windows backend

yeah; I didn't even realize in-home streaming was a thing, and happened to see it was available when I had the client / server on the same network at once and gave it a try. What else is neat about it though is if you get to desktop (I just bring up the adv options menu after launching a game) you can also just stream the desktop with it. Handy for games but just for general streaming it works fine as well

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its called airplay and its built into your apple computer running osx, ipad, and apple tv hth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

doesn't it just do it through mdadm

pram posting about mdma yes

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

its called airplay and its built into your apple computer running osx, ipad, and apple tv hth

lol no

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nosl posted:

my compile flags are quite normal and not riced

I don't often do a system update unless it's been a few months, and just upgrade important packages until then. The only reason I checked the difference was because I installed a brand new processor that is supposedly twice as fast at compiling. While this is apparent for larger packages blatantly, smaller ones seem to have no major difference.

I wasn't trying to divert the ambiguous nonexistent topic, sorry for ruining your day man. Next time I'll just cut my dick off and install Ubuntu while listening to boy bands through mpd before I even consider posting something related to linux on the linux thread.

so many gentoo lurkers here, guess I'll add myself to the bunch

sure you haven't enabled abi_x86_32 globally or something like that? and I think bobbilljim has a point, e.g. with gcc 4.8.3/4.9.3 or newer there's default -fstack-protector-strong, guessing that might add a bunch

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
first, build clang from trunk

then rebuild the world with clang...

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

who are you gentoo users where do you come from

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

not satisfied with the gentoo-dev mailing list, we turn to yospos

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I use Xubuntu, unironically

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nosl posted:

What is with the blote on packages nowadays?

To take a smaller package for example, ncurses, took 1 min 4 seconds to compile on Oct 2014 with an i5 2500k, now takes 1 min 20 seconds to compile today on an i7 4790k.

Do developers just not give a poo poo?

iirc ncurses had a lot of optional stuff but on ncurses 6 (which was released recently) they just made them compile by default

like extended color palette, utf-8, screen dumping, mouse support etc

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i use ubuntu at work because i can't possibly be bothered to spend more time than i need to setting it up. i cross compile stuff i just need the host to work

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i used gentoo as a desktop until about 2005 or 2006, still use it as a home file server

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

first, build clang from trunk

then rebuild the world with clang...

in order to build a .deb from scratch you must first compile the universe

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Foo posted:

in order to build a .deb from scratch you must first compile the universe

back in the day the first step really was to get and build GCC 1.x using a vendor compiler that was some degree of terrible

it actually involved bootstrapping GCC with the vendor compiler and then rebuilding GCC with itself to really get decent performance and avoid codegen bugs and the like

until 386BSD and Linux, NEXTSTEP was the only major UNIX to ship with something other than a terrible closed vendor compiler

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah and steve jobs still tried to rules lawyer his way around the GPL when he did it

then he found out "source code" was defined by the gpl to mean "the preferred form for making modifications to the work" not "whatever the gently caress i say it is"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

back in the day the first step really was to get and build GCC 1.x using a vendor compiler that was some degree of terrible

it actually involved bootstrapping GCC with the vendor compiler and then rebuilding GCC with itself to really get decent performance and avoid codegen bugs and the like

until 386BSD and Linux, NEXTSTEP was the only major UNIX to ship with something other than a terrible closed vendor compiler

cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

translation: as with the kernel itself, next inc couldn't afford a compiler, so they used whatever spitballs and bailing wire the open sores community had managed to ship in 1987

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

translation: as with the kernel itself, next inc couldn't afford a compiler, so they used whatever spitballs and bailing wire the open sores community had managed to ship in 1987

amazing that technically nextstep has completely dominated the pc market in terms of quality and reliability compared to any other unix or linux system out there. what a world we live in now.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ubuntu update: driven by the desperate need to have something, anything, that is not unity, I have been forced to give gnome 3 a proper chance and have discovered that it is in fact pretty good these days

when are they going to scrap it all and start on gnome 4?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

ubuntu update: driven by the desperate need to have something, anything, that is not unity, I have been forced to give gnome 3 a proper chance and have discovered that it is in fact pretty good these days

when are they going to scrap it all and start on gnome 4?

gnome 3 is epic + ftw

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
gnome3 is good. it would be great if i could figure out how to make folders in the applications view thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
why isn't the little weird footprint logo everywhere though, like in the olde days? i miss that weird little foot print thing.