Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HEY GAL posted:

he was embalmed, not autopsied, typo

unlike gustavus adolphus, who disappeared into the smoke and nobody saw him again, an entire wing of cav saw it happen, and promptly flipped their poo poo and folded.

Did he reappear centuries later at Gallipolli confused as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Did he reappear centuries later at Gallipolli confused as gently caress.

In a small coal mining town in West Virginia, c. 2000 or so.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm amused and impressed Stalin 1) actually would attempt such a thing and 2) he'd be all "don't bother with this guys, it isn't any good"

He didn't give up easily, swapping the first variant (2x45 mm guns, 1x76 mm gun) for another (2x76 mm guns), but shock and awe, that didn't help all that much.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Hahahahahaha

FAUXTON posted:

... Second, it humanizes him ...

He was designing a loving tank. The bar was set pretty low for that Stalin.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

If I recall right the Metropolitan has a gunmachete, I have pictures of it at home but someone is probably gonna beat me to it.

Well here it is:

http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/21963

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nucken Futz posted:

Hahahahahaha

He was designing a loving tank. The bar was set pretty low for that Stalin.

Well yeah, it showed people he could gently caress up, but not have anyone disappeared over it, and even be so gracious as to ask the factory not to mass produce it since it would be a waste. I wouldn't be surprised if it was staged through and through with the only honest part being where Stalin made an abortion of a tank :v:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Doc Quantum posted:

In a small coal mining town in West Virginia, c. 2000 or so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:thejoke:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was talking about some semi-fabled (?) lost battalion that allegedly wandered into the smoke at gallipolli and was never seen again. But I've heard that book is hilarious for right and wrong reasons so that'll work too.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Huh, apparently it was on the west front and it was americans. Whoops.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd enjoy a reverse 1632, where a normal HRE town gets transported to 2015, and is immediately overrun by academics and tourists, and all the inhabitants become extremely jaded bed and breakfast owners or "living history" performers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Frostwerks posted:

I was talking about some semi-fabled (?) lost battalion that allegedly wandered into the smoke at gallipolli and was never seen again. But I've heard that book is hilarious for right and wrong reasons so that'll work too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_King%27s_Men_(1999_film)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'd enjoy a reverse 1632, where a normal HRE town gets transported to 2015, and is immediately overrun by academics and tourists, and all the inhabitants become extremely jaded bed and breakfast owners or "living history" performers.

They'd all die quickly of our incredible booze.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So, question - will warhorses charge home into a solid spearwall? I've heard that there's some debate over the matter, but I don't know whether it's been settled or not.

Relatedly, I've heard that during the Enlightenment period, bayonet charges in open terrain would rarely result in a melee as the defenders would usually break before contact. Is that true? It smells a bit of bullshit to me, considering things like HEY GAL's bad war and the entirety of pre-gunpowder warfare, but I thought I'd get a confirmation.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

Dibs! I'mma write up a few pages and submit it to the Baen guys.

A friend of mine is looking for sources on the early voyages of exploration and I thought y'all might have some ideas. He's interested primarily in the early 15th century Spanish and Portuguese voyages of discovery. He'd be very happy with either decent documentaries or amazon links to intro level books about the logistics of the early voyages of discovery and the peninsular politics that led to them happening in the first place.

If there are any good single volumes on individual journeys they'd be welcome too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tomn posted:

Relatedly, I've heard that during the Enlightenment period, bayonet charges in open terrain would rarely result in a melee as the defenders would usually break before contact. Is that true? It smells a bit of bullshit to me, considering things like HEY GAL's bad war and the entirety of pre-gunpowder warfare, but I thought I'd get a confirmation.

Want to risk fighting the infection of internal injuries brought on by an obscene amount of steel in your gut in the 18th or early 19th century?

Remember, infection and disease was a really nasty thing still in this era and modern medicine is slowly but surely developing and catching up. A soldier can maybe survive a hit in a non vital area without any organs with a musket ball or nasty cut or stab wound with a blade but you get a bayonet in the internals you've got a slow agonising death to look forward too.

Hell a normal wound if infected could kill you.

Tetanus can really gently caress you up, as this poor bastard in this Charles Bell painting (NSFW guys) shows us.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 13, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'll start the Kickstarter

Or a company of mercenaries gets transported to 2015, immediately figure out you can post pictures of your giant fluffy hats to Pinterest, live happily

edit: If bayonet dudes break before contact, why do pike dudes stab one another without much of a to-do? Prior socialization?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Want to risk fighting the infection of internal injuries brought on by an obscene amount of steel in your gut in the 18th or early 19th century?

Remember, infection and disease was a really nasty thing still in this era and modern medicine is slowly but surely developing and catching up. A soldier can maybe survive a hit in a non vital area without any organs with a musket ball or nasty cut or stab wound with a blade but you get a bayonet in the internals you've got a slow agonising death to look forward too.

Hell a normal wound if infected could kill you.

Tetanus can really gently caress you up, as this poor bastard in this Charles Bell painting (NSFW guys) shows us.

I don't doubt bayonet wounds are nasty and scary, I just question why bayonets should inspire such particular terror when people have been wailing on each other with swords, spears, pikes, axes, maces, billhooks and what have you for centuries prior to the Enlightenment. Did all those melees break almost instantly on contact as well? Does having any degree of armor at all provide some form of psychological comfort? Or as HEY GAL says, is it simply that it happened more often in the past and so people got used to it whereas bayonet charges were relatively rare in an age of gunlines?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
They have guns, why aren't they shooting!? Why aren't they shooting!? They're coming, they're coming for me, but their guns, their guns, they're not shooting! They must know something I don't. Run! Run for the hills!

:v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As a line soldier of the 18th century in the pitch of a battle where things aren't going your way, your tired having been forced marched several country miles as well as soaking wet from sleeping rough. You haven't even ate anything because the enemy were inconsiderate enough to start the battle before your regiment was assembled.

Your uniform is also covered in the blood and brain matter of several dudes who were on your right but were cut down by the volley of several exchanges of fire.

Your nerves are just as strained as your body, you can barely see due to the smoke from the recent volleys and every time you hear a cannon you and couple hundred of dudes in your still tightly pressed line organised by the screaming banshees that are your NCO jump at the threat of being horrifically disemboweled. Then suddenly from the smoke come a huge tightly packed horde of also very angry terrified blood and mud splattered men who give no more fucks bracing hundreds of pointy headed usually longer that seven inches of steel determined to force you off the field.

Chances are you and the soldier next of you will break, trample your panicing NCO for your life.

The good thing about mass routs really is you cannot blame it on a single man but it really is a series of occurances and fatigues that build up over time. When it comes down to it, nobody at the end of all this wants to be stabbed in the gut and then trampled and left to die on the battlefield.

Also, by the time bayonets come into play armour is more or less non existant for the men who'll be facing such a brutal angry mob.

my dad posted:

They have guns, why aren't they shooting!? Why aren't they shooting!? They're coming, they're coming for me, but their guns, their guns, they're not shooting! They must know something I don't.

gently caress ME THAT IS A LOT OF GUYS.

Run! Run for the hills!

:v:

Pretty much.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
all these things except for the distance between the dudes are also a thing in the 17th century and those guys only rout when they're brand new (the Saxons at Breitenfeld, the German Imperialists at Noerdlingen), lovely (the Bohemians at White Mountain), or surrounded. When you get two good, experienced forces it's a horrifying hours-long slugging match like Luetzen, Wittstock, or Rocroi

the German Imperialists at Noerdlingen is kind of funny: a bunch of new battallions see the Swedes heading for them, Green Swedish Regiment in the front, remember everything they've heard about Swedes, panic, and run. The Tercios Viejos that are behind them part to let them through, reform, and stand fast.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 13, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

I'll start the Kickstarter

Or a company of mercenaries gets transported to 2015, immediately figure out you can post pictures of your giant fluffy hats to Pinterest, live happily

edit: If bayonet dudes break before contact, why do pike dudes stab one another without much of a to-do? Prior socialization?

I can imagine their disappointment when they find out that brawling and shooting people for insulting your honor

And their joy when they find out how much money that can make from suing people

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

all these things except for the distance between the dudes are also a thing in the 17th century and those guys only rout when they're brand new (the Saxons at Breitenfeld, the German Imperialists at Noerdlingen) or lovely (the Bohemians at White Mountain). When you get two good, experienced forces it's a horrifying hours-long slugging match like Luetzen or Rocroi

Nothing says determination more than standing knee deep in the dead of almost all of your line!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tomn posted:

So, question - will warhorses charge home into a solid spearwall? I've heard that there's some debate over the matter, but I don't know whether it's been settled or not.

Well, a solid spearwall is functionally equivalent to a Napoleonic square, and intact squares were broken by cavalry like twice during the entirety of the Napoleonic wars if I recall. Horses aren't suicidal.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nothing says determination more than standing knee deep in the dead of almost all of your line!
it could also be that your dudes' lines are, by my standards, thin as gently caress. there is probably a whole lot of psychological benefit to being the seventh dude in a 16-deep battallion

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

I can imagine their disappointment when they find out that brawling and shooting people for insulting your honor

And their joy when they find out how much money that can make from suing people
"so, uh, they're saying we can't carry our weapons around any more."
"dude that is bullshit. check the internet. there has to be some sort of law about this."
"here, 'open carry activists.' these guys sound chill. and normal. look, here's one in a dining establishment"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You can train a horse to ignore loud sounds and minor injuries but yeah a horse isn't going to impale itself for you.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

it could also be that your dudes' lines are, by my standards, thin as gently caress. there is probably a whole lot of psychological benefit to being the seventh dude in a 16-deep battallion

I was thinking about his too. But on the other hand, phalanxes and other thick formations sometimes turned into panicked herds when the front rank broke. I think that the main reason for units holding their ground when charged is high discipline. There are many accounts of green units breaking before contact and veterans holding their ground even when surrounded, charged with heavy cavalry and shot with cannons.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

You can train a horse to ignore loud sounds and minor injuries but yeah a horse isn't going to impale itself for you.

Depends on if it thinks of ants.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hogge Wild posted:

Depends on if it thinks of ants.

Oh poor ol' Freckles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

I was thinking about his too. But on the other hand, phalanxes and other thick formations sometimes turned into panicked herds when the front rank broke. I think that the main reason for units holding their ground when charged is high discipline. There are many accounts of green units breaking before contact and veterans holding their ground even when surrounded, charged with heavy cavalry and shot with cannons.

Discpline and training help a lot yeah.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Makes sense. So did open field bayonet melees occur regularly throughout the Enlightenment era, between more veteran units?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

feedmegin posted:

Horses aren't suicidal.

Now you say that but it's only because they are all to happy to drop dead without any apparent reason.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Oh poor ol' Freckles.
thought of pikes and died

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Anyone remember the Boirault machine? I talked about it briefly a few months back. It's re-appeared from the dead for another trial, just as ridiculous and impractical as ever. I'd love to know why French tank development apparently got off to such a flying start and then spent a year going down blind alleys despite seemingly having all the necessary ingredients well before the Landships Committee ever did.

Fourth Isonzo sees the capture of an entire Austro-Hungarian trench system (I'm shocked too) just south of Mount San Michele (by the standards of everyone else it's a fart in a jacuzzi, but we'll let them have their moment), Louis Barthas colludes with his new mate Segueil to confiscate some buckshee chickens; and Flora Sandes has one hand in her pocket, and the other one's holding her service revolver.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

There's a five word section of this post that I found very familiar for some reason, then laughed when I realized why.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

cheerfullydrab posted:

There's a five word section of this post that I found very familiar for some reason, then laughed when I realized why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxGzsJKg8zw

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So what you're saying is that caracoles are a predecessor to circle-strafing?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Tomn posted:

Makes sense. So did open field bayonet melees occur regularly throughout the Enlightenment era, between more veteran units?

I know they're a rarity for Napoleonic soldiers, one side almost invariably breaks before it really gets to blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

"so, uh, they're saying we can't carry our weapons around any more."
"dude that is bullshit. check the internet. there has to be some sort of law about this."
"here, 'open carry activists.' these guys sound chill. and normal. look, here's one in a dining establishment"

Oh gently caress no, imagine if they showed up, decided the southern secessionists, open carry wankers and other freepers actually had it right and started Civil War 2?

• Locked thread