Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Remora posted:

Nope. I finished the Museum of Freedom quest, saw a satellite dish on the horizon, and decided to go there and clean out everything between me and it. I cleaned out Corvega by accident, I'm told there's a quest for there but I've not found it.

Granted I am playing on Normal, but combat feels so much more lethal I'm reasonably happy where I am, just running around in the sandbox and ignoring the questlines.

corvega is where the main quest leads you, you do something at your settlement and then are asked to go to another settlement, so build a few things at sanctuary to progress it (talk to sturges to continue that line)

I agree, ignore the story! Just do what is within your means, and kick their asses for them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And there are a bunch of outposts that join you, so they are already pretty developed. You don't need to build poo poo or do much work. It's not all building up from nothing.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Boogaleeboo posted:

And there are a bunch of outposts that join you, so they are already pretty developed. You don't need to build poo poo or do much work. It's not all building up from nothing.

This, like, I've wasted raiders before and on a lark held down V and the little area they have set up is able to be built in/scrapped/made into a shelter. It was pretty cool even if I didn't want to bother setting anything up there.

Does anyone know if you show up to the police department/meet Danse in Power Armor if it changes the dialogue? I don't know if I have a save far back enough to test that or not and I am really hoping he kind of loving loses his poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wonder how much the difficulty would feel different if VATS actually paused you like it should. It feels like such a step back; VATS exists because not all of us are 12yos with adderal anymore.

EDIT: Are Minutemen quests that start with Ghoul Problem one of those secretly-timed ones? I got one that's way far afield of me, and I'm 3/4ths there and most of the enemies are getting skull icons next to their names.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 13, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Remora posted:

Nope. I finished the Museum of Freedom quest, saw a satellite dish on the horizon, and decided to go there and clean out everything between me and it. I cleaned out Corvega by accident, I'm told there's a quest for there but I've not found it.

Granted I am playing on Normal, but combat feels so much more lethal I'm reasonably happy where I am, just running around in the sandbox and ignoring the questlines.

I did corvega really early on and it was easily the hardest part of the game I've seen even though that was like 10 hours ago.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Meowbot posted:

corvega is where the main quest leads you, you do something at your settlement and then are asked to go to another settlement, so build a few things at sanctuary to progress it (talk to sturges to continue that line)

Oh I've built the gently caress out of Sanctuary. I think my defense rating is 140 or so, industrial purifier going, gonna set up a starch farm soon, place is pretty much walled off, sniper nests for every angle of entrance...

...which doesn't matter because apparently enemies can spawn inside the loving settlement, which I wish I had known before I went to all the trouble. :/

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

NESguerilla posted:

I did corvega really early on and it was easily the hardest part of the game I've seen even though that was like 10 hours ago.

ive been playing a melee-style character, so i popped psycho and ran around greeting raiders with a sledgehammer. it was pretty loving awesome. i found the "clear out the super mutant camp" mission for one of the first settlements to be incredibly hard due to the legendary super dog that fucks me up.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Jesus christ this game is so much worse than reviews made it out to be. Like I didn't have high hope because Bethesda, the reviews seemed a bit overcooked, but they are wildly and hilariously so off the mark. The combat is terrible. Stealth is terrible. The dialogue is terrible. The jank is EVERYWHERE. The fun bits are exploring the pretty well made world and ... modding? Settlement building? The fervour which people are defending this bad game is astonishing really.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Should I mod myself in a million fusion cores and stomp around in power armor all day

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Jesus christ this game is so much worse than reviews made it out to be. Like I didn't have high hope because Bethesda, the reviews seemed a bit overcooked, but they are wildly and hilariously so off the mark. The combat is terrible. Stealth is terrible. The dialogue is terrible. The jank is EVERYWHERE. The fun bits are exploring the pretty well made world and ... modding? Settlement building? The fervour which people are defending this bad game is astonishing really.

Sorry you are too stupid to comprehend that other people enjoy something that you don't. Maybe try eating some paste it sounds more up your alley.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TG-Chrono posted:

I agree with you but then again I've played 30 hours and am not close to stopping..

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Omi no Kami posted:

So am I the only one finding the beginning back-breakingly difficult? The opening bits were fine, base-building is fun, then I got to the point where I was obviously supposed to branch out, my options were Go kill bandits for the minutemen, go to diamond city, go rescue the brotherhood of steel from the police station, and every single option seems to immediately result in running into a huge group of enemies that are much better-equipped than I am and dying instantly.

I've been running in circles around sanctuary farming enough exp so I can unlock better gun mods, but I'm really not sure what I could be doing differently.

None of those quests are hard, but it can be difficult to make it to the quest locations to begin with. Most of the time I have been able to simply choose a different route (or just kind of go around them) if I keep hitting a group of enemies that is too much for me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TG-Chrono posted:

I Redboxed it for a couple nights and the biggest thing that is preventing me from actually buying it is how... Dated it feels. The graphics are pretty bad. The combat is wonky as gently caress. Stealth is pretty much useless.
While I spent hours playing, there's always something that feels unpolished about it.
There points where is feels like I should be writing a report on my beta experience.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry you are too stupid to comprehend that other people enjoy something that you don't. Maybe try eating some paste it sounds more up your alley.

Calm down, sparky.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

You can choose to enjoy or not enjoy lovely stuff but that doesn't mean it's not poo poo. The game's fine but it has a lot of very real problems that you can't just wave away with "well that's just like your opinion man".

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

NESguerilla posted:

Go to the hugbox thread or maybe kill yourself?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Bedford Station spoilers: Can I do anything with the Dutchman's instructions? I know A9 said in the holotape that he broke for the treeline but I didn't see anything up there and I wanna help the little guy out. :(:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Welp Preston bugged for me and I can no longer get any dialogue tree for him which means no companion-ing, etc. Seems fairly common, so don't leave anything good on him before he exits your party!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

I built my first wall around a settlement. I started with shack walls before I realized there was a fence option. But the fences don't click together. But they do handle uneven terrain better.

I like the feature, but it is quite a time waster. Not sure how much of Sanctuary I want to fence in. I think I'll start small and expand outward if I get ambitious. Since settlement size is limited to 10+CHR, there is little reason to make anything bigger than a house or two.

I need to work on my defenses for all my settlements. Traps are worthless. I set up a flamethrower trap and it instantly discharged. Then it won't work again until you repair it. Not sure why it was bugged. Turrets seem like the better option. Traps might be fun in a maze-like corridor, but how confusing can I make it until my supply lines can't figure it out?

I wish gates would automatically close. At least there is a choke point now.

Slowly switching my farms over to mass vegetable starch production. Mutfruits are expanding nicely but Corn is a real choke point. I have about 6 plants. What's the grow time on veggies? I wouldn't mind just sleeping through a few days to get rid of all this drat melon and go all corn, mutfruit, and tatos. Maybe a few other plants for cooking recipies here and there.

How much water does a settlement need?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

*staticy grumbling*

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

You can choose to enjoy or not enjoy lovely stuff but that doesn't mean it's not poo poo. The game's fine but it has a lot of very real problems that you can't just wave away with "well that's just like your opinion man".

It's a video game not a government conspiracy. if you don't think it's good enough go play with another toy and stop buying bethesda games because you should know anyways what it's going to be like.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

Go to the hugbox thread or maybe kill yourself?

Your crying in the rain, pally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

It's a video game not a government conspiracy. if you don't think it's good enough go play with another toy and stop buying bethesda games because you should know anyways what it's going to be like.

Expressing disappointment in the game has nothing to do with any of that. The context you're saying it in is basically you saying "don't say you don't like the game because you could go do something else instead of playing it". Which is dumb.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

So a feral ghoul punched Dogmeat so hard he went flying into the horizon and I haven't seen him since.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How do you take shelter from Radstorms? Just hiding in a shack you built yourself doesn't seem to do it. Go inside an instanced dungeon/building?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Remora posted:

Oh I've built the gently caress out of Sanctuary. I think my defense rating is 140 or so, industrial purifier going, gonna set up a starch farm soon, place is pretty much walled off, sniper nests for every angle of entrance...

...which doesn't matter because apparently enemies can spawn inside the loving settlement, which I wish I had known before I went to all the trouble. :/

Wait, seriously? How big of an area did you wall off?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I found a legendary combat rifle that shoots explosive rounds and I haven't used anything else since

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Expressing disappointment in the game has nothing to do with any of that. The context you're saying it in is basically you saying "don't say you don't like the game because you could go do something else instead of playing it". Which is dumb.

I was responding to a dude who said that it was astonishing that anyone would defend it. I'm having fun. A bunch of other people are having fun. I don't see the point in all of these mouth breathers throwing a fit over Fallout 4 being exactly what anyone with common sense would have expected from Fallout 4.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

When someone gets goo'ed from an appropriate weapon, they can drop nuclear materials. That is pretty fun :3:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I hope it gets better with another companion but I am so tired of seeing DOGMEAT "GO" on my screen because the game tends to think that is the BEST thing to always have on my screen whenever dogmeat gets within 5 feet of me.

Has anyone found a way around this besides not using dogmeat? Do the other companions constantly show the god drat companion pop up all the time? Its so frustrating whenever he gets near that pop up is on my screen, despite the fact giving him any orders is useless "Inspect item" he goes over and barks at it doesnt pick it up so its like I Get to swim through the radiation to get that you son of a bitch?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

what would we do without well-qualified criticism like "the game is poo poo everything in it is poo poo"

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo. I just put the jet pack on my power armor and it is possibly the best thing ever. The only thing that can compare for sheer ridiculousness is the stealth boy upgrade, and that's because you're a loving cloaked walking tank.

But seriously, I can loving FLY now.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

what would we do without well-qualified criticism like "the game is poo poo everything in it is poo poo"

That's exactly what I said! Thanks for the not at all retarded paraphrasing of my criticism.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

I was responding to a dude who said that it was astonishing that anyone would defend it. I'm having fun. A bunch of other people are having fun. I don't see the point in all of these mouth breathers throwing a fit over Fallout 4 being exactly what anyone with common sense would have expected from Fallout 4.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think you're right that there is a difference between criticism that has thought behind it and knee-jerk reactionary criticism but my point is that the availability of other things to do should not invalidate people who think the game is not fun. Just because you bought FO4 expecting it to be different from 3 or NV does not mean you should have expected it to have the same flaws going in. It is perhaps unrealistic to want a day-and-night change out of it but having the same trappings doesn't give those trappings a free pass because it's "what you should've expected". It's backward thinking is all I'm trying to say. :shrug:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
My difficulty keeps getting changed randomly it seems. Has anyone else experienced this? I started out setting it to survival, a while later I felt like the enemies got weak so I go check and it's set to easy. So I change it again. A while later I feel like they are getting weak again, check it and now it's on normal. What the gently caress would cause that?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Meowbot posted:

I hope it gets better with another companion but I am so tired of seeing DOGMEAT "GO" on my screen because the game tends to think that is the BEST thing to always have on my screen whenever dogmeat gets within 5 feet of me.

Has anyone found a way around this besides not using dogmeat? Do the other companions constantly show the god drat companion pop up all the time? Its so frustrating whenever he gets near that pop up is on my screen, despite the fact giving him any orders is useless "Inspect item" he goes over and barks at it doesnt pick it up so its like I Get to swim through the radiation to get that you son of a bitch?

Don't click on him. The GO prompt only comes up if you select him. Good luck not selecting him. If you are seeing the GO prompt, press whatever button cancels.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Meowbot posted:

Yeah, this same problem made me bench Dogmeat too. Companions (at least those with ranged weapons) are much better at staying roughly behind you, instead of being in your face when you don't want them to and then wandering away when you're overloaded and trying to store stuff with them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Sure I can. Your (not you specifically) Very Real Problems with the game distill down to 'This game isn't made by the developers I'll give a pass to'. It's the same NMA stuff that's been said since Fallout 3 dragged the series kicking and screaming from Niche Game to Popular Game.

Fallout 4's greatest weakness is not having a Mike The Liar NPC making fun of things said in this thread.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 13, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

dont kill someone in the middle of brotherhood base unless you wanna have a bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Nobody seems to have a clue about companion quests. (The affinity ones, not the recruit ones) That's kind of sad. I figured the internet would be all over that poo poo.

Speaking of exploding guns, I found a .45 smg that makes its bullets explode for about an extra 15 damage per bullet. That adds up fast, and sometimes firing into a crowd just gibs everyone involved, including those my bullets aren't even hitting. It's amazing.

• Locked thread