Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Germstore posted:

How can 02 civic have 60k miles?

buy asian cars from old people dude

you can bet they did every bit of routine mantinence asked for by the manufacturer which for everything other than like mitsubishi pretty much guarantees that the car is in fine working order

plus they probably never drove the thibng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Johnny Aztec posted:

Both vehicles I've owned, something was jacked up somewhere, so the Headlight control knob did nothing. Lights would come on at dark, but no way to turn them off. Well, sometimes when it gets really cold, I can actually control them for a little while.

This is actually more common than you think. I dont know why, although I can guess, but they aren't functional by design. I would guess because its region dependent how functional light switches are or not but rather than change the parts they can just change the programming. On the other hand, there is usually a way to turn off lights but it can be some convoluted process involving like your brake pedal and poo poo it will be in the manual.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

I have a $34,000 2013 car that doesn't have automatic lights. Also it doesn't have cruise control.

I solve this by turning my lights on lol. really pro move imo.

You should always be able to turn OFF your lights, im not sure what kind of sheltered life one must lead to not be able to think of any situation where this might be applicable. However, lights should be automatically on in general... which they are in 99.99% of cars sold in a whole lot of years so this is a non issue.

This got me thinking. Why the hell do headlights not automatically turn off when you take the key out of the ignition and close the doors? At least make "auto turn off" an option.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where I'd need the headlights on but I also need my keys out of the car.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
On my car they stay lit until I lock the doors, presumably so that I can see where I'm going at night if wherever I parked isn't already lit up, and also to serve as a reminder to lock up. I think they eventually turn off after a minute or so if I just walk off but I can't remember exactly.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Melmac posted:

This got me thinking. Why the hell do headlights not automatically turn off when you take the key out of the ignition and close the doors? At least make "auto turn off" an option.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where I'd need the headlights on but I also need my keys out of the car.

When those first came out, the commercials would show that it was so you child get to your front door before they shut off, so your car could light the way.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Melmac posted:

I've always wondered this. A short timer to turn them off makes sense but why would I ever want them to stay on until the battery dies??

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Melmac posted:

its for when you park at night in a dark place, this is actually something they added in recent times. But there is an auto turn off for (well at least, most) modern cars, even ones with manual headlights. For instance although I have manual lights only, if I walk away it will turn off shortly because of the chip in the key, which also affects how locks function.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

1gnoirents posted:

its for when you park at night in a dark place, this is actually something they added in recent times. But there is an auto turn off for (well at least, most) modern cars, even ones with manual headlights. For instance although I have manual lights only, if I walk away it will turn off shortly because of the chip in the key, which also affects how locks function.

I have lights turn on when I approach my car as well, like on the sides

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
While I admit I've never had a fancy car, I've had new cars and every one of them would kill the battery if you left the headlights on by accident.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Melmac posted:

While I admit I've never had a fancy car, I've had new cars and every one of them would kill the battery if you left the headlights on by accident.

I can confirm as my 2015 Honda Fit has a motorcycle battery and it will die very quickly if I mess up once.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Melmac posted:

just another way inequality is perpetuated :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Picnic Princess posted:

You've never been in a car with my dad. Spedometer broke but it was okay, he could determine his speed by how fast the lines on the road were going by.

Yeah but he noticed it broke, right? The point is that when permanently illuminated dashboards became popular, it necessitated automatic lights because it broke the old rather elegant system where you couldn't see the instruments in the dark unless your headlights were on (because they didn't light up unless the headlights were on

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My friend lived in an older apartment where they had redone the bathroom at some point, but someone didn't measure anything first because the toilet was in the way of the door. So they just cut a big notch out of the door to fix it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Grats on the gold thread op

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Darth123123 posted:

Grats on the gold thread op

Thanks. I ascribe it to good thread design. It's going on my résumé.

naem
May 29, 2011

I miss my 1994 Jeep Wrangler with automatic nothing and no back seat

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

RideTheSpiral posted:

well brace yourself for this

it breaks under normal use since they covered its buttons with plastic

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Holy poo poo can't believe this is real.

He was in front of a loving waffle house, why didn't he just yell and hit the windows until someone noticed? I get not being strong enough to break the windows but surely it wouldn't have been hard to get someone's attention.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
That story makes me sad.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Butyraceous posted:

Holy poo poo can't believe this is real.

He was in front of a loving waffle house, why didn't he just yell and hit the windows until someone noticed? I get not being strong enough to break the windows but surely it wouldn't have been hard to get someone's attention.

hahahaha did you know in texas castle doctrine extends to your occupied vehicle?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jenny Agutter posted:

hahahaha did you know in texas castle doctrine extends to your occupied vehicle?

And watercraft, bud

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jenny Agutter posted:

If some guy tries to carjack me i should be allowed to cap his rear end instead of legally being required to run away from my own car like a bitch

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Mange Mite posted:

If some guy tries to carjack me i should be allowed to defend my life or property

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mange Mite posted:

If some guy tries to carjack me i should be allowed to cap his rear end instead of legally being required to run away from my own car like a bitch

Okay but be prepared to die a painful death locked in your own car like the retarded gun owner you are.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

quote:

If someone threatens to kill me I can kill him, this is mad controversial apparently

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Jenny Agutter posted:

did u know castle doctrine doesn't count if you invite them? so he's like pls help stuck help, and you're good, just let him out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i think people are missing the point, you need a deathwish to try to break into the corvette of an old white texan man if he's inside, trapped or not

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lets all just agree that not having door handles inside a car is a bad design

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
lots of examples of bad design in that article, including the design of the brain of the guy who had a 2007 corvette as his dream car

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lmao you guys with your car stories. I just bought a 2013 Ford focus and its been amazing. I get actual buttons and knobs for everything along with the option to use voice commands for anything connected by Bluetooth or USB. It even has a full number pad and a directional pad for both screens. Maybe it's because I only bought the ST pleb version so I don't get "awesome" extras like touch screens lol

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I've been moved to a new flat and it has a number of things that belong in this thread

For example wtf is this?

It is a tv? In the extraction fan?

RideTheSpiral fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 13, 2015

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

Lmao you guys with your car stories. I just bought a 2013 Ford focus and its been amazing. I get actual buttons and knobs for everything along with the option to use voice commands for anything connected by Bluetooth or USB. It even has a full number pad and a directional pad for both screens. Maybe it's because I only bought the ST pleb version so I don't get "awesome" extras like touch screens lol

newish fords are unironically not poo poo albeit boring af

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
Table breaking makes me furious

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Hobelhouse posted:

Table breaking makes me furious

Phone posting. better?

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

RideTheSpiral posted:

Phone posting. better?

It's all good, this one wasn't breaking more than a 5 or 6 on the Fury Scale tbh

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatheck, that's a tv above your stove. So you can cook in real time with you tube tutorials? :911:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Quoted so people don't have to resize their browser/screen to see it.

Possibly a fan and someone just put some lg sticks on it to gently caress with you?

That or your apparentments from the future and thats some sort of Narnia'esk portal machine.

Try climbing in to confirm. Bring a gun in case of witches or annoying talking animals.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
why do 95% of american cars use the brake lights as indicators? you cant tell if people are braking or about to merge in front of you if you can only see one of the tail lights

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

strap on revenge posted:

why do 95% of american cars use the brake lights as indicators? you cant tell if people are braking or about to merge in front of you if you can only see one of the tail lights

those are just rear end in a top hat drivers, we have yellow indicators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Darth123123 posted:

those are just rear end in a top hat drivers, we have yellow indicators.

some of the european and asian made cars do but they are mostly red

• Locked thread