Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Speedball posted:

How do you take shelter from Radstorms? Just hiding in a shack you built yourself doesn't seem to do it. Go inside an instanced dungeon/building?

That would be my guess, but of the two radstorms i've encountered they've collectively given me half a rad-away's worth of radiation. It bums me out thinking about how many cool ideas in this game were wasted because they half assed the implementation. As always the solution is to wait for mods to fix their game for them.

Kirs posted:

It feel very different how dialogs were in Fallout 2 and how they are now. There were much more swearing and egoism. Now it looks like you character WANTS to be good, despite if player willing it too or not.

Another Person posted:

I've just been insulting everyone at every opportunity and demeaning them. It does nothing. Nobody gets annoyed by you being a tireless prick. They just accept it. It is weird. Also I have yet to find a single companion who has enough balls to not instantly dislike me every time I get into a conversation. Finally, I had an odd occurrence which seems like a massive oversight in terms of characterisation. I had Nick saying he liked things when I was talking positively to the Elder of the Brotherhood. You know, the sky Hitler who keeps ranting about death to all synths and mutants. "Nick Valentines likes this". Why?! I am literally liasing with a guy who would have him against the wall. This game has some really terrible writing in regards to ethical choices, but this really takes the cake.

Agreed. They really went all out giving the player the illusion of choice. It's probably going to become even more clear on a second playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Diamond City Blues is so buggy

Half the time Trish doesn't let me talk to her, and the other half the time, as soon as I walk away it tells me I've failed the quest and immediately starts up another one. It's supposed to be 24 hours later or something minimum, and I'm not sure how the quest is failed.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Noyemi K posted:

This is really the only part of the past three fallouts that's significantly pissed me off to any degree. No, Doc Mitchell's head spinning or his hands inflating to ridiculous sizes doesn't break my immersion nearly as much as shantytowns 200 years after the war's end when there's plenty of material around to actually rebuild.

I highly doubt you could sustain any sort of reasonable rebuild project when raiders come and steal all your poo poo in the middle of the night. This is definitely more of an issue in FO4 though where you can build infinite Heavy Machine Gun Turrets to keep out everything, yet your only option for a toilet is a broken down piece of poo poo.

Gridlocked posted:

She just defaults back to where ever I last sent her.

I think anyway.

When I accidentally told her to gently caress off and canceled out of the menu she went to the newspaper building again, but I also had her as my companion since she was available so YMMV.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
bullshit DLC ideas:

Dual Wielding
A mech / bigger power armor
Hoverboard
A moon storyline
Something about murderball, or whatever baseball is supposed to be now
It'd be cool to have a Tel Aviv arc to see how it gets nuked

idk im just making poo poo up

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

anybody else not like how railroaded the quests feel? you can say no, but the game won't register it at all and refuses to actually drop or let you progress in any quest until you say yes to it. can't i just let the minutemen die and be a giant rear end in a top hat?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Noyemi K posted:

This is really the only part of the past three fallouts that's significantly pissed me off to any degree. No, Doc Mitchell's head spinning or his hands inflating to ridiculous sizes doesn't break my immersion nearly as much as shantytowns 200 years after the war's end when there's plenty of material around to actually rebuild.

Im probably misremembering but I think only FO2 had this to any decent degree. NCR and Vault City come to mind. Maybe New Vegas

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ThePutty posted:

anybody else not like how railroaded the quests feel? you can say no, but the game won't register it at all and refuses to actually drop or let you progress in any quest until you say yes to it. can't i just let the minutemen die and be a giant rear end in a top hat?

Just because it's on your questlog doesn't mean you can't just ignore it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It seems everyone is finding all these legendaries and getting neat legendary loot. So far I don't think I've encountered one. For what it's worth, I'm playing on Hard, have 7 luck, and I'm almost to level 10, however I haven't really progressed through a lot of quests yet. Still haven't went to Diamond City, or did whatever in the Corvega Plant. Also have mostly stuck to the top left corner so far, from about Sanctuary,the Satellite place, down to the Diner with Trudy and the Drive-In.

Is that strange or do you just need to play a while before really finding them?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Bholder posted:

Just because it's on your questlog doesn't mean you can't just ignore it.

does it actually effect anything though? or are they all going to just be standing there waiting for me to came back and yes with nothing happening

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also I wanna say that this game's soundtrack is fuckin' great. I haven't heard a single reused Mark Morgan track, seems to be all Zur this time.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I get legendary stuff out the rear end but most of it is objectively worthless.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It seems everyone is finding all these legendaries and getting neat legendary loot. So far I don't think I've encountered one. For what it's worth, I'm playing on Hard, have 7 luck, and I'm almost to level 10, however I haven't really progressed through a lot of quests yet. Still haven't went to Diamond City, or did whatever in the Corvega Plant. Also have mostly stuck to the top left corner so far, from about Sanctuary,the Satellite place, down to the Diner with Trudy and the Drive-In.

I'm playing on Survival and only had 1 or 2 legendaries by the time I was 10. I think around 15 or so is when I started getting a couple every level.

Most of them are real poo poo though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

I get legendary stuff out the rear end but most of it is objectively worthless.

Same

I got a cool leg piece which makes me extra sneaky but it turns me invisible when I crouch and don't move which makes fighting awful because I can't aim my invisible gun.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dezztroy posted:

I'm playing on Survival and only had 1 or 2 legendaries by the time I was 10. I think around 15 or so is when I started getting a couple every level.

how the hell are you guys playing on Survival and not getting domed by bloatflies?! im not a dumb baby but i feel like im dead before I know where the enemy even is. do you just run around in power armor?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
also while there is no set path really with this games, it does seem like some areas are higher level than others, as I saw that one picture posted. I may have run out of quests in the under 10 level areas, would I be okay to find my way to lexington or wherever paladin dan is, or do the Corvega plant at level 9 (almost 10)?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I've only found one so far that seems to be there for everyone. I'm at about the same level, but playing on normal and with less luck.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TheHoosier posted:

how the hell are you guys playing on Survival and not getting domed by bloatflies?! im not a dumb baby but i feel like im dead before I know where the enemy even is. do you just run around in power armor?

Survival is pretty fuckin' easy aside from some bullet spongier enemies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

It's really a mixed bag, yeah. Some stuff is kind of meh, but effects like "receive 15% less damage from humans/ghouls/animals" is a pretty big deal. I just wish there was a way to transfer those effects from one piece of equipment to another, so that I could roll around in a stylish coordinated outfit instead of assorted bits and pieces of leather, metal, raider, and combat armour.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

It seemed odd to me that for as good as a lot of Obsidian's writing is, they didn't even attempt to come up with a way for the player to reasonably ask about the state of the Mojave. When you ask about the NCR and the Legion its framed as if you know jack poo poo about anything, which makes no sense when you're supposed to have been a courier working in the area for some time.

They kinda did, though. The entire premise of the game is you getting shot in the head and then piecing together what happened after the fact. Your brain is hosed up pretty good after you get shot. Doc Mitchell is surprised you're even alive, nevermind running around shooting all the bad guys in town a day after you wake up.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

ThePutty posted:

Oh, so that's why I don't get any new quests from them, huh? :bethesda:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Holy moley the Corvega Plant is a death trap as a lower-level player on Survival difficulty.

On my way back out of the plant, I literally got to the top of a tower, trying to stealth behind a structure where nobody can see me, and Raiders are still tossing up molotovs/grenades and shooting me with pinpoint accuracy. They're so far away I can't even VATS them or see them with a scoped-in rifle, yet somehow they can see me and shoot me en masse behind walls and through the walkway grating. :psyduck: Not to mention the gently caress-you auto-turrets.

The only way to deal with them is to either a) lead them into a small office to pick them off with a shotgun or b) say "gently caress this" and run away from the whole location to turn in for my end of quest reward. I chose B after struggling with A for the sake of beating a challenge.

You'd figure the exit of the level through the door with the chain barricade would be smooth sailing, but NOPE. :shepface: It doesn't help as even as a stealth-focused build I can't shake the "DANGER" meter even while hiding behind structures that give no line of sight to the enemy.
If you entered Corvega Assembly Plant the wrong way like I did then immediately to both sides of the entrance are catwalks where enemies aimhack you through. There was no safe place, move in either direction and invisible enemies shoot you from below. The catwalks are bullshitty in general but that factory takes the cake for invisible enemies shooting through multiple catwalk layers and accurately raining down/up grenades.. somehow.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lady Naga posted:

suppose ill just crank it up and see what happens. With a melee character ill probably have to find better armor than my road warrior digs.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Yea, it was kinda hard at first but i just got my double barreled shotgun upgraded and it gibs most baddies in vats now and fires both shells in like 2 seconds. Jet+running around the room murdering everything before the 10 seconds wears off is good.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

For a fun time, put this in a text file in the Fallout 4 directory

code:
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_VE 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_E 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_N 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_H 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_VH 10000.00
setgs fDiffMultLegendaryChance_SV 10000.00
and enter "bat <textfile without extension>" before starting or loading a game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Noyemi K posted:

Sure, but we already live in a world where vast sections of the world are nothing but shantytowns, despite materials being available to make poo poo better. poo poo going to hell and then never being rebuilt despite the ability to do so is a pretty common thing.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!

TheHoosier posted:

Survival has a bit of a learning curve and is really only super harsh sub level 10. If you make it past that you know what you have to do with the build you are doing to make it. You just accept that your gonna get insta fragged occasionally. Head shots, kiting, and keeping food regen up at all times are the only way to win some fights.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
50 hours in
Final verdict: "God I wish I were playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. instead"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alexander DeLarge posted:

50 hours in
Final verdict: "God I wish I were playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. instead"

In all fairness I'm 99% sure you would say that for FO3 and NV too cause STALKER is loving amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drakenel posted:

Nobody seems to have a clue about companion quests. (The affinity ones, not the recruit ones) That's kind of sad. I figured the internet would be all over that poo poo.

Speaking of exploding guns, I found a .45 smg that makes its bullets explode for about an extra 15 damage per bullet. That adds up fast, and sometimes firing into a crowd just gibs everyone involved, including those my bullets aren't even hitting. It's amazing.

I've only done the MacReady quest. You need to be at a certain stage of affinity for the first half to start, then much higher for the second half of his quest.

I guess it's not max though because his follower perk doesn't appear in my Pipboy when he's travelling with me so I'm still not maxed with him.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

With as minimal spoilers as possible, can anyone say if there's a Caesar's Legion branch and ending? That fuckin ruled in NV. I loved walking up to an NCR outpost, showering it with grenades, and punching anyone who ran out. Evil playthroughs always make for a more interesting second run.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

TheHoosier posted:

With as minimal spoilers as possible, can anyone say if there's a Caesar's Legion branch and ending? That fuckin ruled in NV. I loved walking up to an NCR outpost, showering it with grenades, and punching anyone who ran out. Evil playthroughs always make for a more interesting second run.

Your character is a goody doormat, despite my best efforts you can't just be a simple arsehole.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate how "gently caress this I'm getting the Power Armour" is a slightly bigger deal than just slapping it on from the inventory, now. Also being able to store critical hits is lovely. :allears:

Do recruitment beacons stack or is one in each settlement enough? I'm really loving distracted by building and tidying areas but I only get a small trickle of settlers in. Combat and side quests are a vehicle for me to unlock more crafting perks rather than any actual content, ha.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Do semi autos benefit from the rifleman perk?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's really kind of crazy how many perks rely on using the new garbage VATS. I don't even think I could possibly take more than six of any given SPECIAL stat (barring Strength) since there's just so many.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Your character is a goody doormat, despite my best efforts you can't just be a simple arsehole.

It's really annoying. I tried burning the brotherhood of steel guy to death because I want his power armour and he survived and doesn't care? gently caress you game!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm running out of ammo for EVERYTHING, i'm playing on normal, hitting my shots and not using automatic weapons, cleeaaarly i must be missing something.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

hemale in pain posted:

It's really annoying. I tried burning the brotherhood of steel guy to death because I want his power armour and he survived and doesn't care? gently caress you game!

I mean; this is hardly the first Bethesda game with unkillable NPCs.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Don't look at the moon with a sniper rifle.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate how "gently caress this I'm getting the Power Armour" is a slightly bigger deal than just slapping it on from the inventory, now. Also being able to store critical hits is lovely. :allears:

Do recruitment beacons stack or is one in each settlement enough? I'm really loving distracted by building and tidying areas but I only get a small trickle of settlers in. Combat and side quests are a vehicle for me to unlock more crafting perks rather than any actual content, ha.

Yeah, it's great that power armour is actually a uniquely big deal instead of just a regular piece of equipment in your inventory with just some more DR. It'd be nice if there was a way to just bring it over to you instead of having to manually retrieve it every time, though. Having a vertibird swoop by and airdrop it right on your position would be pretty great, or maybe just some high-tech teleporting doodad. Hopefully there'll be some mods to take care of that soon-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

randombattle posted:

Don't look at the moon with a sniper rifle.

Will it hit your eye like a big pizza pie?

• Locked thread