Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

Quote this post if you remember the struggle of beating Brock in Yellow version

The anime hosed me up as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Killer Queen posted:

If we lived in a perfect world, Pokemon Yellow 3DS edition would have the incredibly stupid move changes like Charizard learning Fly reverted. Yellow's great... besides that poo poo. But it won't happen and all 3 games will be carbon copies of the originals with wireless play.

:raise: What was wrong with giving Charizard a move perfectly matching its fire/flying type? Especially when that's the only flying move Charizard gets in Gen 1?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zonekeeper posted:

:raise: What was wrong with giving Charizard a move perfectly matching its fire/flying type? Especially when that's the only flying move Charizard gets in Gen 1?

e: Oh, I misread.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 13, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dont take me for a fool. i could beat brock with my eyes shut.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure I had Slam for brock as a kid.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Decus posted:

I'm pretty sure I had Slam for brock as a kid.

:whitewater:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

mabels big day posted:

Quote this post if you remember the struggle of beating Brock in Yellow version

I was pretty dumb as a kid and thought that Pikachu could steamroll everything.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

I was pretty dumb as a kid and thought that Pikachu could steamroll everything.

Can't really say I blame you. That fuckin' rat cheats all the goddamned time in the show. Except when the writers decide that it should lose to a rookie trainer's brand new starter. :wtf:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Pikachu sucks.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Pikachu owns.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Raichu is better

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dedenne... the best

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Clefairy is awesomer and cuter and cooler that Pkiachu

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmmm [flips paper over clipboard] it checks out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
raichu is the best and has the sweet dance moves

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Raichu should be part fairy type instead of Dedenne

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Raichu should be Electric/Fighting

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

majormonotone posted:

Raichu should be Electric/Fighting

He'll become electric/dark to reflect his time in the shadows

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

My man.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Emolga is the cutest and also the best probably

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Killer Queen posted:

If we lived in a perfect world, Pokemon Yellow 3DS edition would have the incredibly stupid move changes like Charizard learning Fly reverted. Yellow's great... besides that poo poo. But it won't happen and all 3 games will be carbon copies of the originals with wireless play.

Why is this even a question? They're Virtual Console games. Literally a ROM in an emulator. This isn't a remake or updated rerelease. They aren't making changes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The worst part of Yellow is how your Pikachu gets mad at you if you give him a thunderstone.

Like, come on man. You'll become moderately less mediocre if you eat this rock and also cuter and more tough. I just want a bigger and chubbier mouse. :(

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
At first I didn't think much of it but RBY on the Virtual Console is a pretty big development. From what I've seen around the internet some people have been talking about how this could possibly be the end of remakes for Pokemon. Purportedly, one of the big reasons for the existence of remakes was so that younger fans can experience older regions and stories on the latest consoles. If that truly is one of the driving forces for remakes then they could instead just port the older games to VC once they're no longer compatible with the current handheld. Hey, with no remakes to make Gamefreak could probably put more effort into their newer installments. Also if they really want to revisit an older region they would have a bigger incentive to expand upon it with a new campaign, new characters, a new story, and new features instead of just giving it a face-lift and having us go through it again like before.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Also here's some footage of Perfect Zygarde in action from the Tretta game. Gives you a little insight on how attacks and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXbg94d7dng

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

:mrgw:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Why is this even a question? They're Virtual Console games. Literally a ROM in an emulator. This isn't a remake or updated rerelease. They aren't making changes.

except they did make a change to allow wireless trading

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I'll bet, at the least, that they use the minimal bugfixes the foreign language versions got so we can't find MissingNo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

....What the gently caress?

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

It would have been nice if R/B/Y could connect to pokebank. They would have mentioned that in the direct though. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

oddium posted:

except they did make a change to allow wireless trading

That seems more like a change to the emulator though, not the games.

bradybunch posted:

It would have been nice if R/B/Y could connect to pokebank. They would have mentioned that in the direct though. :(

No chance. Pokemon data structures from Gen 1 and 2 are massively different compared to the ones from Gen 3 onward. Remember how people got upset that they couldn't bring over their old Pokemon to the GBA games? That's cuz Game Freak decided to overhaul the entire system to better future proof it or something. Trying to import a Gen 1 or 2 Pokemon into a Gen 3+ game would be like trying to use a floppy disk in a cd drive.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Geostomp posted:

Sorry Nintendo, my nostalgia centers just aren't strong enough for me to pretend to want to go back to Gen 1 ever again.

There is no way on Arceus's Green Earth I'm going back to a game without Dark and Fairy Types.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
why would i rebuy the gen 1 games when my cartridges still work

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

why would i rebuy the gen 1 games when my cartridges still work

If they released GSC, on the other hand

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There were also some real problems with the Gen 2 Data Structure. Mainly that since they were so tightly limited by space, they used IVs to calculate a whole bunch of poo poo.
Gender is determined by the Attack IV, with females always having a lower attack stat than Males, depending on the Ratio of Male to Female this could mean that Females have a max attack IV of 1.
Special Attack and Defense both share one IV, just being applied to both the SPATK and SPDEF stats individually. HP also doesn't have it's own IV, being NANDed off of the other 4 IVs. The way a Shiny Pokemon is determined is having DEF, SPEED, and SPECIAL IVs of 10 each, and a ATK IV of either 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15. Note this also means that for most pokemon, shinies are more likely to be male than female, and in some cases *only* male. Since Unown's letter is also determined by IVs in Generation II, only Unown I and V can be Shiny. Since Hidden Power is determined by IVs, a Shiny Pokémon's Hidden Power type in Generation II can only be either Grass or Dragon, with a power of either 50 or 70.

Also stats were inherited oddly, Defense was inherited straight across from the opposite gendered parent(or ditto), where as Special had a 50% chance to be inherited at base value, or increased/decreased by 8. They did this because if a pokemon has the same defense as it's mate, and a special equal/greater/lessthan by 8, the game assumes you're trying to breed a pokemon with it's parent and stops you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If someone has never played a Pokemon game and they wanted to start now, should they start with X/Y or Ruby/Sapphire?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
X/Y, it's got a shitload of mans you can use and also you can dress your character up in style clothing.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Etrips posted:

If someone has never played a Pokemon game and they wanted to start now, should they start with X/Y or Ruby/Sapphire?

I'd say X or Y, but they're pretty equal. Take a look at the starters available in each and play the game with the one that appeals to you the most.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurieg posted:

There were also some real problems with the Gen 2 Data Structure. Mainly that since they were so tightly limited by space, they used IVs to calculate a whole bunch of poo poo.
Gender is determined by the Attack IV, with females always having a lower attack stat than Males, depending on the Ratio of Male to Female this could mean that Females have a max attack IV of 1.
Special Attack and Defense both share one IV, just being applied to both the SPATK and SPDEF stats individually. HP also doesn't have it's own IV, being NANDed off of the other 4 IVs. The way a Shiny Pokemon is determined is having DEF, SPEED, and SPECIAL IVs of 10 each, and a ATK IV of either 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15. Note this also means that for most pokemon, shinies are more likely to be male than female, and in some cases *only* male. Since Unown's letter is also determined by IVs in Generation II, only Unown I and V can be Shiny. Since Hidden Power is determined by IVs, a Shiny Pokémon's Hidden Power type in Generation II can only be either Grass or Dragon, with a power of either 50 or 70.

Also stats were inherited oddly, Defense was inherited straight across from the opposite gendered parent(or ditto), where as Special had a 50% chance to be inherited at base value, or increased/decreased by 8. They did this because if a pokemon has the same defense as it's mate, and a special equal/greater/lessthan by 8, the game assumes you're trying to breed a pokemon with it's parent and stops you.

Not to mention IVs and EVs were totally different things to their more modern incarnation.

IVs only went 0-15 instead of 0-31 and there was no cap of 510 total for EVs so every pokemon could max out their EVs in every stat.

Plus the obvious lack of Natures.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Etrips posted:

X/Y, but get ORAS as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Seconding X/Y, it's basically a perfect place to start

Heads up though if you find it too easy; either turn off the Exp Share or use a rotating team of like 10-12 mons

• Locked thread