Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pththya-lyi posted:

Probably because Lucas thought children would enjoy it if they saw their favorite Star Wars badass as a kid like them - that's also why we saw Anakin as a boy in Episode One. I'm not sure what kids actually think of L'il Boba, but I feel like most adults didn't appreciate that artistic choice.

It's a pretty superficial and idiotic way to get kids invested.

The OT had zero children. I was a friggin' BABY when that poo poo came out and I was still stoked to pretend to be Luke Skywalker with my lightsaber or play with my Han Solo action figure or whatever.

"I can't identify with Luke Sykwalker/Han Solo/Superman/My GI Joe Guys/Maverick/Indiana Jones/Danny Larusso/Batman/Princess Ariel etc etc etc and do toys/costume play as those characters, because they are all teens/20s/middle aged, and I am a young child."
-How kids think, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pththya-lyi posted:

Probably because Lucas thought children would enjoy it if they saw their favorite Star Wars badass as a kid like them - that's also why we saw Anakin as a boy in Episode One. I'm not sure what kids actually think of L'il Boba, but I feel like most adults didn't appreciate that artistic choice.

Lil' Boba was kinda cool in the clone wars cartoon v0v

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Otisburg posted:

It's a pretty superficial and idiotic way to get kids invested.

The OT had zero children. I was a friggin' BABY when that poo poo came out and I was still stoked to pretend to be Luke Skywalker with my lightsaber or play with my Han Solo action figure or whatever.

"I can't identify with Luke Sykwalker/Han Solo/Superman/My GI Joe Guys/Maverick/Indiana Jones/Danny Larusso/Batman/Princess Ariel etc etc etc and do toys/costume play as those characters, because they are all teens/20s/middle aged, and I am a young child."
-How kids think, apparently

That's probably true for most kids - they tend to identify with cool adult characters because they want to be cool adults. That's why most little kids who get into Peter Pan really like Captain Hook - yes, he's a bad guy, but he's a grown-up with an exciting job who bosses around other grown-ups. What could be cooler to a little kid? Certainly not a boy who chooses not to grow up. Only adults who are tired of their responsibilities fantasize about being children, and only an adult who doesn't understand kids would assume that a child would have that fantasy. That's not to say that kids can't relate to child characters, but it's also pretty easy for them to relate to interesting adults.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Plus there's all Anakin's friends, including L'il Greedo. I think filmmakers do that stuff more for themselves/their kids. Lucas' idea to appeal to kids was Jarjar Binks. You'd be walking through a Border's and BAM big cutout of jarjar waving his flopsy web hand at you while Darth Maul glowered from the main display. Never made sense to me how anyone would like the dopey comic relief more than the maximum-ham villain.

What I'm saying is kids are supposed to be in the audience, not the movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Well we can all rest childfree knowing none of the promo material shows our new star wars polluted with ugly sprog.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

No one here actually has hope that this new movie is going to actually be good, or even decent.

Right?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's probably true for most kids - they tend to identify with cool adult characters because they want to be cool adults. That's why most little kids who get into Peter Pan really like Captain Hook - yes, he's a bad guy, but he's a grown-up with an exciting job who bosses around other grown-ups. What could be cooler to a little kid? Certainly not a boy who chooses not to grow up. Only adults who are tired of their responsibilities fantasize about being children, and only an adult who doesn't understand kids would assume that a child would have that fantasy. That's not to say that kids can't relate to child characters, but it's also pretty easy for them to relate to interesting adults.

After reading Peter and Wendy, seeing people idolise Peter Pan will never stop being funny to me. He's a quite clearly not human monster in the books; the reason nobody ever grows up in Neverneverland is because Peter kills them before they can.

Back to Star Wars, there's a guy at the cantina in A New Hope who says he has multiple death sentences. I'm assuming there's some stupid overblown description of each crime he did?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Plucky Brit posted:

Back to Star Wars, there's a guy at the cantina in A New Hope who says he has multiple death sentences. I'm assuming there's some stupid overblown description of each crime he did?

practicing evil medicine without a liscence basically:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan

sort of a mash up dr nick from simpsons with dr mengele's pretense towards doing "experiments" on his budget-conscious patients from the sounds of it

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Otisburg posted:

practicing evil medicine without a liscence basically:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan

sort of a mash up dr nick from simpsons with dr mengele's pretense towards doing "experiments" on his budget-conscious patients from the sounds of it

quote:

Soon after the Battle of Yavin, Evazan went to work for Borborygmus Gog, hoping to gain information from Project Starscream on bringing life to the dead. Evazan moved to Necropolis to work on bringing corpses to life as part of the project. However, during this time, Evazan was being pursued by Boba Fett himself. The bounty hunter caught up to Evazan on the planet Necropolis and executed the mad doctor while he was holding Zak Arranda hostage.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lewellyns death in No Country must infuriate EU writers.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I really like the fact that the article includes an image captioned "Boba Fett blasting away Evazan's zombies". It just tells you everything you need to know.

Savor the EU.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Plucky Brit posted:

After reading Peter and Wendy, seeing people idolise Peter Pan will never stop being funny to me. He's a quite clearly not human monster in the books; the reason nobody ever grows up in Neverneverland is because Peter kills them before they can.

At the end of the original novel, Peter shows up and takes Wendy's daughter away. Which is fairly horrible.

Also this is on wikipedia:

"J.M. Barrie created his character based on his older brother, David, who died in an ice-skating accident the day before his 14th birthday. His mother and brother thought of him as forever a boy."

So you know, that's fun.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Elukka posted:

I really like the fact that the article includes an image captioned "Boba Fett blasting away Evazan's zombies". It just tells you everything you need to know.

Savor the EU.

Why does no one in Star Wars aim down their sights except the Republic Commandos

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Booblord Zagats posted:

Why does no one in Star Wars aim down their sights except the Republic Commandos

Supposedly the stormtrooper helmets have HUDs in them. Why the rebels don't I have no answer.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TK-42-1 posted:

Supposedly the stormtrooper helmets have HUDs in them. Why the rebels don't I have no answer.

But Luke said "I can't see a thing in this helmet" in Star Wars. EU gone wild again.

The Bible posted:

No one here actually has hope that this new movie is going to actually be good, or even decent.

Right?

Right

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I expect the JJ Abrams Star Trek experience. Flashy and enjoyable while watching, but ultimately hollow.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Booblord Zagats posted:

Because they keep mounting them backwards

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cardboard Box A posted:

Haha, I never noticed that before

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hello, I'm Borborygmus Gog.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

I've always like that the weapons in the original trilogy were just WW2 guns with some stuff glued onto them to make them look more sci-fi. If I recall correctly the even fired blanks with them during filming and you can see it in behind the scenes footage.

I wonder where they got all the German stuff. Weapons in North Africa after the Afrika Korps surrendered? Judging by Syria there's tons of German WW2 junk floating around the Middle East at least.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Randarkman posted:

I've always like that the weapons in the original trilogy were just ww2 guns with some stuff glued onto them to make them look more sci-fi. If I recall correctly the even fired blanks with them during filming and you can see it in behind the scenes footage.

I wonder where they got all the German stuff. Weapons in North Africa after the Afrika Korps surrendered?

Up until the 80s WW2 weapons were pretty easy and cheap to come across

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

New Yoda CGI makes him look like green Gary Coleman

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
In another stunning development, a character is named by homonym. A guy with the death sentence in twelve systems, living on the fringe to escape justice? Christened "Evazan".

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Cardboard Box A posted:

:eyepop: Now I'm never going to un-see this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

Up until the 80s WW2 weapons were pretty easy and cheap to come across

It used to be that you could find Sturmgewehr 44s more easily than AKs. There was even a few movies that use them as replacements for AKs.

Supposedly, the armorers and propmasters for The Force Awakens went to Tapco and added a bunch of tacticlol poo poo to their guns now.

If you're ever interested in the prop guns used in Star Wars films, IMFDB has a whole section on them... http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Star_Wars

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Young Freud posted:

It used to be that you could find Sturmgewehr 44s more easily than AKs. There was even a few movies that use them as replacements for AKs.

Supposedly, the armorers and propmasters for The Force Awakens went to Tapco and added a bunch of tacticlol poo poo to their guns now.

If you're ever interested in the prop guns used in Star Wars films, IMFDB has a whole section on them... http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Star_Wars

Yeah, hell, a buddy of mine who deployed to Afghanistan in 02 said the sheer amount of WW1/2 bolt action rifles they were destroying was staggering

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, hell, a buddy of mine who deployed to Afghanistan in 02 said the sheer amount of WW1/2 bolt action rifles they were destroying was staggering

Haha. Imagine what those AlQaeda dopes probably paid for an M1.

"Here's your 2 lbs of opium, Mr. Bush." Lol. Fuckin' dumbasses.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

How about Brienne of Tarth's gun with a backwards scope and two stocks?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm surprised the kept Magpul and EOTech poo poo off of it, at least

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Two stocks? I can only see one because of chrome. Who though a chrome Stormtrooper was good design?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sleepy.eyes posted:

Two stocks? I can only see one because of chrome. Who though a chrome Stormtrooper was good design?

Remember this is brought to us by the same director who brought the iPhone Bridge in Star Trek.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

sleepy.eyes posted:

Look at the underside of the barrel, where her left hand is:

I don't think any Stormtrooper used the stock in the movies, but it's always been there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

Look at the underside of the barrel, where her left hand is:

I don't think any Stormtrooper used the stock in the movies, but it's always been there.

I never realized that they left the folding stock on, I just knew they added an aftermarket AR stock to the butt of the gun.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
edit:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bible posted:

Right?

star trek was the best star wars movie since return of the jedi until guardians of the galaxy came out so i have a feeling it'll be at least mediocre. they don't have a high bar to jump with the prequels.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo the new star wars movie is going to change my life

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

star trek was the best star wars movie since return of the jedi until guardians of the galaxy came out so i have a feeling it'll be at least mediocre. they don't have a high bar to jump with the prequels.

Look at this guy not knowing about The Last Starfighter, the bestest Star Wars film after return of the jedi.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ultrabindu posted:

Look at this guy not knowing about The Last Starfighter, the bestest Star Wars film after return of the jedi.

Yeah

For a clown to watch

At the circus

IDIOT

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The best Star Wars movie post RotJ was Top Gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015