Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I’ve seen and felt the effects of long daily commutes, both on people and their relationships. There’s something like a 40% increase in divorce rates when one spouse is commuting, last I heard.

Either way, either a short commute or work-from-home is something that’s worth a lot to me in just time saved, let alone gas or bus costs. If you’re commuting even two hours a day, you need to figure that into how much you’re actually getting paid-- you’re not working 8 hour days, you’re working ten hour days, and that adds up real drat fast. Once you start looking at pay with that in mind, it’s surprising how little per hour you’re actually working for.

My last job 14 hour days were normal(12 hour shifts + commute because DFW) and one person had effectively 16 hour shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Now that's freedom :911:

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Also, remember the average cost of owning and driving a car (gas, upkeep, repair) is about 50 cents a mile. If you have a 50 mile commute, then over 10 years that commute costs you over $25,000, assuming you would otherwise have invested the money at 7%.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No ma'am, "k" and "h" are not interchangeable in your user name. You will get logon errors if you use the wrong letter.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
And here's the importance of proper documentation!

Got a ticket today from a University since they couldn't access the RAC interface despite everything else working fine.
End result? At some point the networking team grabbed what they thought was an unused IP and gave it to a new firewall device. :thumbsup:
And they do supposedly have IP assignment documentation so :shrug:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Fcuking wifi. Second only to printers in my opinion.

Ran a wifi survey and found 15 APs within range of my home PC on 2.4GHz. How many devices are in this airspace? Must be 50+ No wonder nothing works.

Oh, I did get a 5GHz router, except my ASUS dongle decided that rather than transmit a signal, it would get superhot and stop my PC from booting up.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
People talk a lot of poo poo about them but I use an Ethernet over Powerline adapter for my PC at home and it works pretty flawlessly

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

crunk dork posted:

People talk a lot of poo poo about them but I use an Ethernet over Powerline adapter mysterious black magic from eldritch abominations for my PC at home and it works pretty flawlessly

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

crunk dork posted:

People talk a lot of poo poo about them but I use an Ethernet over Powerline adapter for my PC at home and it works pretty flawlessly

Yeah I've recommended powerline adapters to a few friends and co-workers, they work well, I did preface it by saying depending on wiring etc there could be issues, but no one has had any issues yet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Has everyone given up on running ethernet themselves? I'm about to put a couple thousand feet of cat6 into my townhouse next weekend and similarly a coworker's the following weekend.
I've run ethernet in every house I've rented and the landlords never seemed to mind.

Am I too late for commuter chat? I'd just like to chime in with https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2015/11/06/d-c-regions-interstate-66-gets-named-as-worst-drat-freeway-in-u-s/
I live about 20 miles from work, and it's a 2 hour commute unless I leave at 5am. Then it's only an hour and a half.
It's about 25-30 mins with no traffic. Tuesday it took me 3 hours to get home.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
On the other side of things I had a client working from home with two VOIP phones that connected to the office over a split-tunnel VPN. They plugged the phones in to the firewall and everything worked flawlessly. Plugged in to the ethernet over powerline adapter in another room and the phones could barely hold a connection. I'm still not sure if it was the wiring in the house or just that EoP shouldn't be used for high-end streaming, but there definitely seem to be applications where it should be avoided like the plague.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has everyone given up on running ethernet themselves? I'm about to put a couple thousand feet of cat6 into my townhouse next weekend and similarly a coworker's the following weekend.
I've run ethernet in every house I've rented and the landlords never seemed to mind.

I've wanted to run ethernet in my own house, since my children's baby monitors interfere with my wifi, but the previous owners put in a vaulted ceiling in the living room before selling the house and attic access to a majority of the house is completely impossible. I'd probably be interested in ethernet over powerline, but I'd pretty much only be using it on my Roku, and I doubt the signal would be strong enough for 1080 streaming.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Am I too late for commuter chat? I'd just like to chime in with https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2015/11/06/d-c-regions-interstate-66-gets-named-as-worst-drat-freeway-in-u-s/
I live about 20 miles from work, and it's a 2 hour commute unless I leave at 5am. Then it's only an hour and a half.
It's about 25-30 mins with no traffic. Tuesday it took me 3 hours to get home.

Nope. It wont' be a few thousand feet, but I plan on putting in at least one drop in each room, possibly two depending, and 4 or so in the attic where our computers are. Probably going to fill a 24 port switch. The plan is down the line some, but it's gonna happen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

crunk dork posted:

I have 200mb internet and none of the ones I've tested came anywhere close.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I'd probably be interested in ethernet over powerline, but I'd pretty much only be using it on my Roku, and I doubt the signal would be strong enough for 1080 streaming.
It's definitely possible. Really depends on your wiring and level of line noise.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

I doubt the signal would be strong enough for 1080 streaming.
Can confirm that 1080p streaming raw BluRay files over the network is possible with powerline adapters. I don't know if my condo is special in any way, but I do know that I do it regularly without issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pulling cables into a residential construction is a pain in the arse, but it's so worth it when all your poo poo just works without any issues, and you can get blanket Wi-Fi coverage from dotting some decent APs around.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Nope. It wont' be a few thousand feet, but I plan on putting in at least one drop in each room, possibly two depending, and 4 or so in the attic where our computers are. Probably going to fill a 24 port switch. The plan is down the line some, but it's gonna happen.

Do you really need all of them to be live? Use patch panel, it will add resale value since when you sell the place the next person wont have to purchase a 24 port switch or wonder what the hell each of the cables goes to. They are going to use whatever 4 port black box they get from their ISP.

You can then use an 8 port switch or something reasonable to keep your costs down, there is no way you are going to use all of them at once. It's always nice to have options, maybe you want your computer in a completely new room, easy to do move the computer plug it in. Move the cable from the patch panel labeled "Master Bedroom" to "Master Bathroom".

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

nexxai posted:

Can confirm that 1080p streaming raw BluRay files over the network is possible with powerline adapters. I don't know if my condo is special in any way, but I do know that I do it regularly without issue.

Hmm... any hardware suggestions?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

I've wanted to run ethernet in my own house, since my children's baby monitors interfere with my wifi, but the previous owners put in a vaulted ceiling in the living room before selling the house and attic access to a majority of the house is completely impossible. I'd probably be interested in ethernet over powerline, but I'd pretty much only be using it on my Roku, and I doubt the signal would be strong enough for 1080 streaming.

Well I wouldn't worry about it now. Hopefully you'll be gainfully employed for six figures somewhere on the east coast soon.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Update on the client not being able to NetBoot!

They keyboard was plugged into a Thunderbolt connected monitor which (obviously) power cycles during a reboot! Which means that the keyboard isn't sending input to the machine until the machine wakes the monitor up (thanks Apple). Their IT team didn't bother trying NetBoot on any of the systems where this isn't this case, I guess they thought if it doesn't work on one, it won't work on the rest!

:bang:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

spankmeister posted:

What are your adapters rated for and how old is the building?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I need to crawl through my attic someday before I get busy with kid number 2, I just suck at spelunking. I am also a little paranoid about the fact that I have 2x4 trusses instead of rafters, I assume they can handle my 250lb rear end but random people on google seem to suggest otherwise. As an added bonus, my attic entry is in my garage, and as soon as I climb the ladder, there is a big rear end plywood wall blocking off the attic section of the garage from the rest of the house. There is access, but I would have to slither under a low hanging 1x4, wtf did they do this before? Is this the new "our construction is so cheap we cant trust Joe Homeowner to not crash through the ceiling so stay the gently caress out unless you REALLY want up there"? And how do I deal with all the blown in insulation that is conveniently covering up all the rafters trusses that I need to climb on? I know this might be way off topic and I can ask in DIY but the subject was running ethernet at home. . .

To contribute: Netlflix lists that you can stream HD contenton 5Mb, and Ultra HD on 25Mb - I believe "HD" is also 1080P, but the page just says HD is "720P and above" and the Ultra HD mentions 4K a few times. I would be impressed if a powerline adapter could not get at least 5Mbps or even 25Mbps. As for the baby monitors, are they 2.4GHz?

pr0digal posted:

Update on the client not being able to NetBoot!

They keyboard was plugged into a Thunderbolt connected monitor which (obviously) power cycles during a reboot! Which means that the keyboard isn't sending input to the machine until the machine wakes the monitor up (thanks Apple). Their IT team didn't bother trying NetBoot on any of the systems where this isn't this case, I guess they thought if it doesn't work on one, it won't work on the rest!

:bang:

BUT it's Apple! It's an Apple computer and an Apple monitor and Apple keyboard how dare you tell me it's a problem with *my Apple machine*! Also, gently caress Apple TV devices for demanding channel 11.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spankmeister posted:

The problem with powerline adaptors is their speed performance varies wildly from pairs of rooms in the same building, let alone in different buildings over the world. And the only way to find out if you're hosed or not is to actually get a pair of the devices and have a way to return them for no charge if they don't work.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

These aren't *exactly* them, but they're close: http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect/powerline-av-500-network-kit/

Don't forget: raw BluRay rips only need 40Mbps, *much* less than the 500Mbps that these provide. Even if there's pretty bad interference, you'd expect them to work at 10% of their rated capacity.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just run ethernet cable on top of the carpet :black101:

(makes my girlfriend grumpy though)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

I need to crawl through my attic someday before I get busy with kid number 2, I just suck at spelunking. I am also a little paranoid about the fact that I have 2x4 trusses instead of rafters, I assume they can handle my 250lb rear end but random people on google seem to suggest otherwise. As an added bonus, my attic entry is in my garage, and as soon as I climb the ladder, there is a big rear end plywood wall blocking off the attic section of the garage from the rest of the house. There is access, but I would have to slither under a low hanging 1x4, wtf did they do this before? Is this the new "our construction is so cheap we cant trust Joe Homeowner to not crash through the ceiling so stay the gently caress out unless you REALLY want up there"? And how do I deal with all the blown in insulation that is conveniently covering up all the rafters trusses that I need to climb on? I know this might be way off topic and I can ask in DIY but the subject was running ethernet at home. . .

To contribute: Netlflix lists that you can stream HD contenton 5Mb, and Ultra HD on 25Mb - I believe "HD" is also 1080P, but the page just says HD is "720P and above" and the Ultra HD mentions 4K a few times. I would be impressed if a powerline adapter could not get at least 5Mbps or even 25Mbps. As for the baby monitors, are they 2.4GHz?

BUT it's Apple! It's an Apple computer and an Apple monitor and Apple keyboard how dare you tell me it's a problem with *my Apple machine*! Also, gently caress Apple TV devices for demanding channel 11.

Netflix video quality is intentionally variable, and will change while you're watching something depending on the quality of your connection. HD is "Anything between and including 720p-1080p" UltraHD is "Anything higher than 1080p, including, but usually not 4k"

My baby monitor is DECT 6, which is 1.9ghz

I don't have any ethernet run in my house. My cable connection comes in at my entertainment center, and everything that needs to be hard wired lives there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone have any recommendations on a packet sniffing based bandwidth monitor? I've used a Sonicwall appliance in the past but it had it's issues. I dont want or need to be able to shape or control bandwidth, I just want to be able to get reports and see who is using what basically.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Did some work for a women's shelter earlier this week. They take their security more seriously than most dod and dhs facilities that I've been in.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I would *love* to run ethernet but my modern house would be a nightmare to get the cable through walls and above ceilings with 2" of clearance. I couldn't even run external trunking as the only route would require to it run around 75% of the perimeter.

I came very, very close to buying a new build as being able to run cable before the drywall went up was very tempting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Fool posted:

Did some work for a women's shelter earlier this week. They take their security more seriously than most dod and dhs facilities that I've been in.
I guess it's different when your job is to protect people rather than lining defence contractor pockets. :v:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

And you're going to punch it down yourself? I hope you have a fantastic time

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

As for the baby monitors, are they 2.4GHz?

They are, but they do this thing where they constantly cycle through channels to reduce interference, but it just causes all interference all the time. I've tried setting my router to 5GHz, but then it doesn't reach the back half of the house and also none of my devices will connect to it. :shrug:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They probably flat out didn't notice because people don't pay attention to things. Also running cable is something most people don't know how to do plus some house configurations make this a nightmare. I had to get funny with mine as there are 2x4's going across the bays so going up the walls to the 2nd floor would have required taking out drywall. So one of my closets has wires in the corner going from the crawl space to the attic to reach everything up there.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

larchesdanrew posted:

In 2012 I bought some Phicomm Ethernet-over-power bricks (from Amazon, but I don't see them there anymore) for around $50 that were rated for up to 500Mbps and in my experience, it's possible to get a very good signal if you are not crossing from one breaker to another.

In my current house I'm bridging between two small bedrooms that I assume are on the same breaker (I just moved in and they aren't labeled so I'm not sure yet) and the included utility claims 400Mbps, which could be accurate from everything I've seen.

If you're going from one breaker to another it's a lot more sketchy and I assume it varies widely based on age of the wiring and how well it's done. I was able to get 30Mbps from upstairs to downstairs in a 2-story 15 year old townhouse, but in a 40 year old freestanding house I got nothing unless I was working within a single breaker.

I assume other products in the same price tier would work similarly but would be curious to hear others' experience. I would love to just run Cat6A and be done with it but I don't own a place yet and I'm not going to put in that kind of cost for a rental.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roargasm posted:

And you're going to punch it down yourself? I hope you have a fantastic time

It took like 5 minutes to punch and test the 20 runs I did at my old place.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

In 2012 I bought some Phicomm Ethernet-over-power bricks (from Amazon, but I don't see them there anymore) for around $50 that were rated for up to 500Mbps and in my experience, it's possible to get a very good signal if you are not crossing from one breaker to another.

In my current house I'm bridging between two small bedrooms that I assume are on the same breaker (I just moved in and they aren't labeled so I'm not sure yet) and the included utility claims 400Mbps, which could be accurate from everything I've seen.

If you're going from one breaker to another it's a lot more sketchy and I assume it varies widely based on age of the wiring and how well it's done. I was able to get 30Mbps from upstairs to downstairs in a 2-story 15 year old townhouse, but in a 40 year old freestanding house I got nothing unless I was working within a single breaker.

I assume other products in the same price tier would work similarly but would be curious to hear others' experience. I would love to just run Cat6A and be done with it but I don't own a place yet and I'm not going to put in that kind of cost for a rental.

Cat5e is pretty affordable, and should get you over 500Mbit. Sure it's not as future proof, but if you are leaving in the next 5, even 10 years you probably won't have a need for Cat6A in residential. If you do, you have a special case and the power adapter isn't going to fit that need either. If you offer to add wall jacks most land lords would likely agree to it, have them inspect it afterwards even to ensure the work is quality whatever. My uncle just got divorced and got paid by is landlord to install them in his own living space under it increasing the rent value for future tenants.

It really can't hurt to ask, he might even be willing to spring for 6A.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I can finally contribute a legitimate thing to this thread! :downsbravo:

A ticket came in...

quote:

Hi neogeo,

I can’t remember who I should contact about this but anyways. We are in need of some extra chargers for the new credit card machines FD400. I would say three as I need to put one out into the field right away and then have some back ups. You can ship them directly to me at the office.

Thanks,

Followed by this an hour later:

quote:

Can you also add on a new battery for this machine as well? Just found out that it is cracked in half and they taped it together.

Well, sure, I can just order those through our sup-:stare:... wait, what? Surely you mean the battery compartment door, right? Not the battery?

quote:

Nope, it is the actual battery. I can’t explain how they did that.

I... Uh, well then. :magical:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 13, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I can finally contribute a legitimate thing to this thread! :downsbravo:

A ticket came in...

Followed by this an hour later:

Well, sure, I can just order those through our sup-:stare:... wait, what?

What "machine" is he on, and um maybe it's not actually cracked in half (if its actually a battery) maybe it just has a crack in the casing (still dangerous). Ask for a picture and share it. You can feign that there are multiple batteries for that model and you want to get the same one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope it's just the battery cover, and not the actual battery.

neogeo0823 posted:

I... Uh, well then. :magical:
wwwwwwwwwwwelp

• Locked thread