Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Conceivably they could put the hotword detection on hardware, then once that's detected, send the rest to their servers.

That is what they do, but you're trusting they are being honest and you have to, there's no other way to be. If you were a paranoid sort, I doubt that would be enough to convince you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

In 2 years of owning a Note the only time I pulled out the pen was to show people that it had a pen.

Thanks to month-long below freezing temps here in Minnesota I was able to use the pen for any time I was outside! It actually came in handy quite a bit so I didn't have to take off gloves or get those hilariously thin touch gloves.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lblitzer posted:

Thanks to month-long below freezing temps here in Minnesota I was able to use the pen for any time I was outside! It actually came in handy quite a bit so I didn't have to take off gloves or get those hilariously thin touch gloves.

The Note has a setting to increase the sensitivity of the screen so that it can be used with gloves. Does it work or is that what you mean by having to use "those hilariously thin touch gloves"? I've always been curious to know if that actually does work as advertised.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Yes, contact them and inform them that their OS is functioning exactly as they intended.

What chocolateTHUNDER said is wrong, we've known this is how the Nexus 6 worked since it launched.

How would anybody reasonably know that the Nexus they bought from Google would function differently and receive updates differently depending on their carrier? They were entering in to a contract to purchase a product from Google. There was no subtext on the adverts telling you "***(BTW, if you use AT&T you are screwed for updates)". It's pure BS, and probably against consumer protection laws in most countries.

LastInLine posted:

Anyone who has been to the factory images page knew that there were different builds for different carriers and that it was inserting the SIM that determined the path your Nexus was on.

The buyer is hosed, if that's the commonly expected method of knowing how a phone will operate before it's purchased.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well obviously everyone trolls various forums and android-centric tech websites 24/7, how could they not know????

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
On my new Nexus 6P I have the "OK Google..." hotword set to fire at any time, including when the phone is locked.

I would swear to you up and down that last week it was working with no trouble. However, for the past few days the hotword has only reliably worked when my device is unlocked and sitting on the home screen.

I can say it a dozen times to my locked device or when an app is open and nothing happens, but reliably it works first try on the home screen.

Any idea what gives?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

We really need a Google Services thread or something.

I'll ask this here: has anyone tried using Google Alerts to find out when an artist has released an album or single on GPMAA? I'll read about a new release, go to find it on GPMAA, find that it's not on there yet, and then promptly forget about it ever again. Today I thought about setting up a Google Alert, but I'm not sure how often new releases get mentioned on places that Google Alert indexes...

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Am I doing something stupid or does the Nexus 5X only play sound for youtube videos, music, etc, out of the bottom speaker and not out of the top?
Stereo audio that isn't equal on both sides drives me up the wall so I really hope this isn't the case.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Am I doing something stupid or does the Nexus 5X only play sound for youtube videos, music, etc, out of the bottom speaker and not out of the top?
Stereo audio that isn't equal on both sides drives me up the wall so I really hope this isn't the case.

I don't think the 5x has stereo front facing speakers?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

No it doesn't, that top grill is just the earpiece

Its something mentioned in almost all the reviews and shouldnt have a been a surprise really

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There is only a bottom speaker.

My 5x gets goofy sometimes if I have been using a lot of heavy apps. Stutters and goes slow. I either have to restart or clear everything out of the switch-to scree, which doesn't sound like it makes sense.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I saw someone mention earlier that Nexus phones can get locked out of updates for being on AT&T, anyone know if that extends to Cricket, as a subsidiary of AT&T?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

If anyone is interested, I am trying to sell my xperia z3 compact with some accessories on SA mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751276

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Trammel posted:

They were entering in to a contract to purchase a product from Google. There was no subtext on the adverts telling you "***(BTW, if you use AT&T you are screwed for updates)". It's pure BS, and probably against consumer protection laws in most countries.

You won't find carriers pushing these contracts on OEMs in most countries, because you're right. But the US isn't most countries.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

If anyone is interested, I am trying to sell my xperia z3 compact with some accessories on SA mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751276

Not to put the excellent Optimus Subprime on the spot, but quick showdown: goons, would you recommended the Nexus 6 or the Z3 Compact?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Do you want a very small phone or a very large one?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not to put the excellent Optimus Subprime on the spot, but quick showdown: goons, would you recommended the Nexus 6 or the Z3 Compact?

I am a big fan of the Nexus 6 and there is a great offer in the SA Mart right now. winky winky nudgey nudgey

No but seriously if you can handle the size it's no contest IMO. Z3C is a great compact phone, N6 is a great flagship.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

I'll ask this here: has anyone tried using Google Alerts to find out when an artist has released an album or single on GPMAA? I'll read about a new release, go to find it on GPMAA, find that it's not on there yet, and then promptly forget about it ever again. Today I thought about setting up a Google Alert, but I'm not sure how often new releases get mentioned on places that Google Alert indexes...

Aren't they just Google searches that they run for you once a day? That's the impression I got - if you're listening to the most underground poo poo that isn't mentioned on the internet you might have a problem, but if you do a search and stuff pops up, you can create an alert for it. I think the bigger problem is when you have too many irrelevant results that take over

Although really, they should be making the knowledge graph stuff easier - if you like Artist, you should be able to say so. You could have a poke in Google Now or try searching from the Google bar and see if it gives you a card

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have an extremely weird audio problem with my G3 that has an equally weird solution.

When playing audio through the headphones I'm getting some weird kinda staticy distortion - it's always there but is more noticeable on stuff that is quite soft (especially podcasts). It happens with any wired headphones, doesn't matter if the phone is charging or not. To try and fix this I've tried all sorts of things - completely different ROMs (both AOSP based and stock), rolling back the modem version, installing various audio mods and absolutely nothing made any difference whatsoever.

Here's where it gets really weird - Reddit suggested that unplugging the headphones, making a call, then plugging them back in will fix the problem until the phone is rebooted and guess what it works reliably 100% of the time on my phone.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on? I just can't see how the 'fix' can possibly be doing anything but it does work.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Is there a away to turn off the haptic feedback on the three navigational buttons, but still keep it around for the keyboard without messing about with custom-ROMS or any of that stuff?

edit: nevermind, I'm a retard but I figured it out.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 13, 2015

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

baka kaba posted:

Aren't they just Google searches that they run for you once a day? That's the impression I got - if you're listening to the most underground poo poo that isn't mentioned on the internet you might have a problem, but if you do a search and stuff pops up, you can create an alert for it. I think the bigger problem is when you have too many irrelevant results that take over

Although really, they should be making the knowledge graph stuff easier - if you like Artist, you should be able to say so. You could have a poke in Google Now or try searching from the Google bar and see if it gives you a card

Aren't those gone? At the very least, I don't see them popping up any more for television shows and movies. I think Spectre was the last film I was able to create Google Now alert for. None of the other films or TV shows I've searched since about...July, I think, have had the option. I still get alerts for movies and TV shows that I added before then, but I can't add any new ones.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well I meant Google Alerts, I wasn't sure if you could actively curate your Now feed in the same way, but doing a search in the Google bar might entice a subject into your feed

I was just looking around, and this is... interesting:
http://searchengineland.com/android-marshmallow-seo-series-sponsored-google-now-cards-23-234719

quote:

If you have not noticed it, Google has been adding a variety of different types of sponsored results that are especially prevalent and persuasive in the mobile interface. These sponsored results can be presented for queries about flights, hotels, movies, TV shows and some products. They are driven by feeds, rather than PPC bidding, and are less visually distinct from the organic results below them.

In that same vein, it appears that Google is testing Sponsored Google Now Price Alert cards in Google Now. Until recently, Google Now cards have all seemed passive and organic, but that might soon change.

Google is storing information about all users’ cross-device behavior to a Private Index, and this includes information about web interactions like shopping or browsing on Google Shopping (and potentially other e-commerce sites, too).

With this information, they are able to trigger a “Price Alert” in Google Now or Now on Tap. They can tell from a user’s Private Index that they have visited the page, and they know from their Google Shopping feeds that the price on the item that they viewed has dropped.

tl;dr, they're saying Google is tracking the prices of products you've viewed, and pushing cards when the price drops. Like camelcamelcamel, but not on your terms

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Syrinxx posted:

In 2 years of owning a Note the only time I pulled out the pen was to show people that it had a pen.
On the Note 3, it made a good kickstand.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They're both good phones with good internals, its just a question of if you want a big phone or a smaller phone. With the nexus 6, you have the full might of Google behind it, but the z3c has the microsd slot and is waterproof. Sort of apples and oranges and you can't go wrong with either depending on your needs.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

If you find an answer to this, please share as I would like to know this too.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Reverse Centaur posted:

I am a big fan of the Nexus 6 and there is a great offer in the SA Mart right now. winky winky nudgey nudgey

No but seriously if you can handle the size it's no contest IMO. Z3C is a great compact phone, N6 is a great flagship.

Yo I want your phone ! :)

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
6P came in yesterday. This phone is comically tall. Have to say though, its actually pretty comfortable to use. Came off a Note 2 and briefly a Moto X 2014, and this actually is a little more comfortable in the pocket and to use compared to the Note 2. The fingerprint reader is magic, super quick and reliable so far. The adaptive brightness thing is way too sensitive though, keeps changing all over the place. We'll see where the battery life eventually pans out after things are settled. Does get a little warm with use though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats exactly how Google Alerts work. Now that I think about it my real question is whether anyone ever talks about when there's a new release on GPMAA. I kind of have a feeling that GPMAA is not popular enough with people who talk about music on the internet.

I guess we'll see. I just added an alert for "missy elliot wtf google play music all access".

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Chu020 posted:

6P came in yesterday. This phone is comically tall. Have to say though, its actually pretty comfortable to use. Came off a Note 2 and briefly a Moto X 2014, and this actually is a little more comfortable in the pocket and to use compared to the Note 2. The fingerprint reader is magic, super quick and reliable so far. The adaptive brightness thing is way too sensitive though, keeps changing all over the place. We'll see where the battery life eventually pans out after things are settled. Does get a little warm with use though.

Yeah, I don't know why auto/adaptive brightness is so bad in stock android. Samsung and Apple seem to be the only manufacturers that can do it non-egregiously.

Turning it off and using Lux works better but not perfectly.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ron Amadeo's Blackberry Priv review:

"$700 for a bad keyboard, poor camera, iffy build quality, and old software? No thanks."

"Which would you rather type on?"

Text suggestions are on screen, but the nav buttons are between the hardware keyboard and suggestions:

Lots of complaints about the hardware too.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 13, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

That is what they do, but you're trusting they are being honest and you have to, there's no other way to be. If you were a paranoid sort, I doubt that would be enough to convince you.

I laugh when somebody doesn't trust google to not listen to everything they say...so they disable the feature, trusting that this actually turns listening off.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Ron Amadeo's Blackberry Priv review:

"$700 for a bad keyboard, poor camera, iffy build quality, and old software? No thanks."

"Which would you rather type on?"

Text suggestions are on screen, but the nav buttons are between the hardware keyboard and suggestions:

Lots of complaints about the hardware too.
The Priv is certainly polarizing.

I think the funniest thing about Ron's review was the BlackBerry fanbois who registered accounts to defend BlackBerry's honor in the comments. Such a rabid fanbase.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats exactly how Google Alerts work. Now that I think about it my real question is whether anyone ever talks about when there's a new release on GPMAA. I kind of have a feeling that GPMAA is not popular enough with people who talk about music on the internet.

I guess we'll see. I just added an alert for "missy elliot wtf google play music all access".

maybe there is a scraper for this :
https://play.google.com/store/music/collection/movers_shakers?hl=en
looks to be the new release section. Granted, who knows if that's only the most popular ones or all of them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

deong posted:

maybe there is a scraper for this :
https://play.google.com/store/music/collection/movers_shakers?hl=en
looks to be the new release section. Granted, who knows if that's only the most popular ones or all of them.

Unfortunately, I think that's only for-purchase music, not music on All Access.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Unfortunately, I think that's only for-purchase music, not music on All Access.

You're probably right. I hate the difference.
Also, why the gently caress is it not something like, music.google.com?? (edit.. apparently it is now, pretty sure this is new).

Also, just found out about this :
https://play.google.com/music/listen#/album/Bcqxefztbae6b55oqrta74zwmiy/Various+Artists/We+Love+Disney+(Deluxe)
Jessie J and Ne-yo doing disney songs?? yes please.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

GPMAA itself has been very good in my experience at telling me when new things are released by artists I care about in the "Recommended For You" section.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

deong posted:

Also, why the gently caress is it not something like, music.google.com?? (edit.. apparently it is now, pretty sure this is new).

What did you think it was? It's been music.google.com for as long as I can remember, and like most Google services, you can also use google.com/music.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What did you think it was? It's been music.google.com for as long as I can remember, and like most Google services, you can also use google.com/music.

Really?
I used to have to go to https://play.google.com/music/listen#/now to be able to listen to music. Before, google.com/music would take you to purchase music, not listen to google play nor your already purchased albums. I've had play since the beginning, and I remember being frustrated over this up until after Youtube Red was announced...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

deong posted:

Really?
I used to have to go to https://play.google.com/music/listen#/now to be able to listen to music. Before, google.com/music would take you to purchase music, not listen to google play nor your already purchased albums. I've had play since the beginning, and I remember being frustrated over this up until after Youtube Red was announced...

I have always gone to music.google.com, pretty sure I started using it shortly after it launched (uploaded my old crap to it) and have used All Access since it launched. Dunno man :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

deong posted:

Really?

Google.com/music has worked for me since the service launched . The homepage had music for purchasing but your entire library was on the sidebar and along the bottom of the page.