Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bardeh posted:

I'm almost 20 hours in and I haven't built a single structure anywhere, but I haven't had any invasions at all. Is it tied to a certain point in the storyline? I just rescued Valentine, for an idea of how far I am into the main storyline.

Invasions happen randomly, and only to Settlements you either own or have helped out with Minutemen quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bardeh posted:

I'm almost 20 hours in and I haven't built a single structure anywhere, but I haven't had any invasions at all. Is it tied to a certain point in the storyline? I just rescued Valentine, for an idea of how far I am into the main storyline.

I think you don't get any invasions at all until you've completed all the basic settlement quests. Did you build turrets in your town already?

If so after that I think its random but based on the size of your town vs how defensive it is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bardeh posted:

I dunno, I have built a bunch of structures and no attacks either.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Bardeh posted:

Yeah this would be nice to know. Some of this vendor equipment is insanely expensive and caps are really hard to come by.
Eventually caps just sort of start rolling in. I went from having around ~500 caps on me to something like 10k and I'm not really sure why.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ahhhh I am still not able to send my companions back to their proper homes. I tried the "Press Tab when selecting where to send them" trick on Piper but she just keeps defaulting back to the last place I sent her.

Is there a way to fix it so she goes back home, it is really starting to bug me.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Just went back to Sanctuary after a few days exploring. Found out it had been hit by something, no bodies, just a few broken turrets and all of my loving crops destroyed. I had spent forever harvesting & replanting mutfruit from the 1 original I had and now I was back down to 1 tree.

Oh, and I can confirm that if there isn't enough food production settlers will raid any food stored in the workshop, including meat / pre-war stuff. I had been using it to store any food I found out in the wastes since it ties in with the crafting interface for all the crafting stations. They had eaten all my insta mash, cram, etc. and were now down to alcohol & water.

Fortunately Trash Can Carla was visiting so I got some seed crops from her to restart, but god drat I was pissed. Now I'm walling off my farm on 3 sides and putting turrets up on towers everywhere.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Bardeh posted:

I haven't done much at all in regards to building up places beyond Sanctuary and the Red Rocket, but one of the random settlements the Minuteman guy had me help out got attacked by raiders. There wasn't much to it, I popped in, helped them kill like 5 or 7 dudes, and built them a couple sniper posts and gun turrets and left again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gridlocked posted:

Ahhhh I am still not able to send my companions back to their proper homes. I tried the "Press Tab when selecting where to send them" trick on Piper but she just keeps defaulting back to the last place I sent her.

Is there a way to fix it so she goes back home, it is really starting to bug me.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but if a companion is following you, you should be able to talk to them, then say like "release", then a menu should pop up asking you which of your settlements they should go to.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I've read that you can move settlers between settlements with the workshop menu, highlighting them and selecting "Move". I did not try that. I tried talking to them, but they only wanted to trade. Those two shits said they were going to join up with the Minutemen immediately, but instead they just started tending their drat Tatos again. Couldn't figure it out, I got fed up and got them both a .308 to the head.

Oh well.

Also I'm playing on Very Hard and Corvega Plant was a cakewalk. Is Survival that much more extreme that everyone is complaining about Corvega being too hard? I've got Rank 1 upgraded leather armour pieces and went in with an upgraded .308 sniper rifle, double barreled shotgun and .38 pipe rifle.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Upgraded my hunting rifle into a nice sniper rifle. Why is the bolt on the left hand side though?

I think most weapons were designed for the left hand

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but if a companion is following you, you should be able to talk to them, then say like "release", then a menu should pop up asking you which of your settlements they should go to.

Yeees I got that. But when I hit "Tab" on that menu I get a pop up saying "Piper is returning to X" X being the last location I sent her to.

It appears as long as you don't send a companion to a settlement exiting the menu sends them back to their default location; but sending them to a settlement causes them to never be able to go home :smith: I want to know how to reset them so they no longer have a default settlement and thus return home.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its really nice. Also you can put bandanas and goggles on dogmeat but you have to equip them for him :3:

Whenever something dumb or annoying happens ingame goggle-dog comes into view and I immediately forgive the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparition posted:

I think most weapons were designed for the left hand

I'm looking forward to the inevitable mod that flips all the weapon models so your dude no longer gets a face full of shell casings.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Yeah this would be nice to know. Some of this vendor equipment is insanely expensive and caps are really hard to come by.

Magazine bonuses are permanent once you have found them, same as bobbleheads.
You can make a magazine rack to store them in your house.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
So there's a "Your S.P.E.C.I.A.L.!" book on the floor right next to your babies crib in sanctuary, it gives *drumroll* 1 point into any SPECIAL stat of your choice. Of course I found it after maxing my stats with levels/bobbleheads :argh:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ethanol posted:

what about gtav total sales, how many of those are there to date

As of August, GTA5 has sold over 54 million units across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC. Furthermore, GTA5 continues to make up over 60% of Take2's revenue in the first quarter of this fiscal year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

New Leaf posted:

Do I need to assign someone to farm for veggies to grow? I've got a bunch planted at the Red Rocket, but I don't plan on having settlers there. I don't think enough in-game time has passed to see results, just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. If I have to have someone assigned, I'll just move my operation to Sanctuary.
If you don't pick them then nobody will. Also if you assign a settler to harvest a kind of plant you get .5 food per plant in that category. So yeah you're wasting your time to plant crops somewhere with no settlers unless you REALLY go there a lot and don't mind harvesting your dozens of tatos.

And of course with no settlers to defend, if anything comes by it'll destroy all your crops.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 13, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its really nice. Also you can put bandanas and goggles on dogmeat but you have to equip them for him :3:
My Dogmeat is wearing spiked metal armor, a chain collar, and doggles. :3:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The paragon and renegade interrupts were a pretty great bit of game design.

Put the options as intimidation or persuasion.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Whenever something dumb or annoying happens ingame goggle-dog comes into view and I immediately forgive the game.
I'm waiting for a mod that lets me keep Dogmeat around and take another companion. He's not that great in combat but drat it if he's not adorable in his goggles and bandana.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Intimidation/Wasteland Whisperer perks? Do they function often enough to be worth taking? What about Inspirational, assuming I like having companions around (I do)?

I'm probably going to use the console to "respec" my "Dr. McCoy but he forgot how to set his phasers to stun" build to take some points out of Luck and Agility that I will never use and put them into Charisma. I'm either going to take two points out of Luck to get my Charisma to 8 for Inspirational, or also take two points out of Agility to take it all the way to 10 if the Indimitation/Whisperer perks are any good. (Already rocking almost-max Intelligence.)

Quoting for a new page.

Intimidation/Wasteland Whisperer: worth it, or are they crap that never really works?

Inspirational: worth it, or do you not even really notice the companion damage/defense bonus? (Not being able to hurt them seems nice though.)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

I'm waiting for a mod that lets me keep Dogmeat around and take another companion. He's not that great in combat but drat it if he's not adorable in his goggles and bandana.

How do I kit out dogmeat? I tried trading him some light dog armor and a collar but it didn't do poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SergZpartan posted:

So there's a "Your S.P.E.C.I.A.L.!" book on the floor right next to your babies crib in sanctuary, it gives *drumroll* 1 point into any SPECIAL stat of your choice. Of course I found it after maxing my stats with levels/bobbleheads :argh:

How high level are you because that just seems like a horrible waste of perks to me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

coyo7e posted:

If you don't pick them then nobody will. Also if you assign a settler to harvest a kind of plant you get .5 food per plant in that category. So yeah you're wasting your time to plant crops somewhere with no settlers unless you REALLY go there a lot and don't mind harvesting your dozens of tatos.

And of course with no settlers to defend, if anything comes by it'll destroy all your crops.

I'm not bothered by picking the crops, I'm worried about the crops actually GROWING without someone to tend them. Because so far, I've stuck a few carrots in the ground and planted a dozen melons and mutfruit bushes and corn stalks and they're doing fuckall. I come back to the Red Rocket to drop off crafting mats often enough that I don't mind running out to pick a few veggies.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

How do I kit out dogmeat? I tried trading him some light dog armor and a collar but it didn't do poo poo.

When they're in his inventory, highlight them and there should be an "Equip" option at the bottom.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone experiencing some weird poo poo with the sound? Like, it sounds like enemies are almost next to you when they're actually far away, or on another floor.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

coyo7e posted:

My Dogmeat is wearing spiked metal armor, a chain collar, and doggles. :3:

This make me want to play with a mod that let me fulton baddies MGS5 style, to send yo my camps and get brainwashed into guards.
Then maybe have Quiet around doing sniper support. Or a mod where my dog detect all enemies...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Some thoughts and discoveries I had last night.

The Junk Jet cannot trigger bloody mess. Even if you force a crit in VATS when an enemy gets killed they just slump to the ground.

That being said: I'm coming around on the Junk Jet after initially kind of hating it. I've gotten my second level of Heavy Weapons and have a fair spot better hipfire on it so it behaves a fair bit better once you get the Long Barrel and Recoil stock. The Pro-est of tips is to use Old World Money for your ammunition since you get it in spades, it weighs nothing, it does the same damage as any other poo poo you feed into it, and you don't get near as many caps out of it as you could in New Vegas, so you can stand to lose it here and there when you can't find it after firing. Not to mention killing someone with a sneak attack from projectile old money is hilarious as gently caress. Still need to collect an intelligence bobblehead before I can SCIENCE it to fire flaming or electrical bullets. I can't play most of this weekend, but my Sunday goal is to get that int bobblehead and the perk so I can mod and name it "The High Velocity Flaming Cash Cannon".

At this point I'm pretty much flush on all crafting components and I'm only level 13 or so. The only thing I'm in short supply of is Ballistic material but I've not used that much. I don't know why everyone is having adhesive problems, I'm finding superglue and duct tape pretty regularly and any gaps in my supply I'm making up with vegetable starch. I can see it being hard if you experiment with a lot of mods because adhesive is one of those things you don't get back from scrapping weapons and/or parts.

Also it's ridiculously easy to get a Fat Man like 10 minutes after you start the game proper. Just past the eastern horn of the pond around Sanctuary, there's a junkyard with a big shut down combat robot. I found the Fat Man sitting on the trunk of one of the cars there. Finding ammo for it on the other hand is tricky, I'm level 13 and I've happened upon like 4 shells for it so far.

I'm hoping player mods give a bit more selection in heavy weapons or modding weapons to change existing ones into heavy weapons. I think it would be kicking rad to go from a laser pistol, mod it into a laser rifle, and keep on modding and adding poo poo until it's a ridiculous triple barrel laser cannon that weighs 50 pounds and can fire like 5 times between reloads and is hard to ADS but does obnoxious damage. Hell, even just turning a Pipe rifle into a janky junkyard SAW would be amazing. As is I think the only weapons that can be modded into the heavy category are Plasma Flamethrowers, and I've not gotten one to see how good it is.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Trade with him to put it in his inventory and then press the button (I think it's T on PC) to have him equip it.

Dogmeat is a lot smarter than my dog, that's for sure.

As for SAWs, slapping a drum mag onto an automatic assault rifle basically gets you that. I modded a +25% damage to humans assault rifle with the top tier automatic receiver, drum mag, recoil compensating stock and muzzle break and it's basically now a laser gun accuracy wise.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 13, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Amazing. Found the quest to make the Diamond City Radio guy not suck and the two guys I have to kill in the brewery are still marked as essential.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Folks are saying there's a perk that lets you do this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That is one rad dog.

Demiurge4 posted:

Dude we literally JUST explained this. You push the equip button.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

gently caress that I want a mod that lets me get a pack of dogs as a companion. I was kinda of upset hearing that buying another dog doesn't give you another companion dog.

I am the Dog Whisperer

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I think I have all the crafting, lockpicking and hacking perks I can get for my level - so, gunslinger, rifleman or commando now?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I think I have all the crafting, lockpicking and hacking perks I can get for my level - so, gunslinger, rifleman or commando now?

The correct answer is bladed aluminium bat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Rifleman. Rifles are really good and it works for shotguns too. Gunslinger only works on pistols (although you can mod any rifle into a pistol and vise versa) and commando only on automatics.

Automatics are better for raw damage than rifles, but shotguns are pretty much just as good, and automatics go through tons of ammo really fast.

A good semi-auto shotgun or laser shotgun with the rifleman perks will straight WRECK SHOP.

E: Auto-shotguns probably use commando instead of rifleman. But again, ammo. Semi-auto shotguns can shoot very fast, especially modded.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Regarding if you keep the perks after dropping/selling magazines, I'm pretty sure you do. If you want to check it yourself it's easy enough, quicksave, get rid of the magazine and then check your perks list on your pip-boy.

Also I know you've got valid concerns about the poo poo that's going on Piper, but you are annoying and I'm probably going to kill you if I can.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
So after following an NPC from one end of the wasteland to the other, I honestly wasn't expecting to get my level 5 poo poo kicked in by a murderous femmebot.

IS this what our military budget goes into?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Golden Goat posted:

The correct answer is bladed aluminium bat.

I wish, but 3 str / 3 end says otherwise.

Zaphod42 posted:

Rifleman. Rifles are really good and it works for shotguns too. Gunslinger only works on pistols (although you can mod any rifle into a pistol and vise versa) and commando only on automatics.

Automatics are better for raw damage than rifles, but shotguns are pretty much just as good, and automatics go through tons of ammo really fast.

A good semi-auto shotgun or laser shotgun with the rifleman perks will straight WRECK SHOP.

E: Auto-shotguns probably use commando instead of rifleman. But again, ammo. Semi-auto shotguns can shoot very fast, especially modded.

Yeah I thought so, right now I'm a pistol man but it's mostly due to lack of non-pipe rifles.. Though the disarming on gunslinger sounds good since some pistols can fire fast, and I can't stand bolt action poo poo, I need at least semi-auto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hancock is a pretty cool guy.

• Locked thread