Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
GOP strategists are worried about Ben Carson because they remember what happened the last time a mentally enfeebled black man stood between a Clinton and electoral victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think there's a zero-chance of Rubio winning, but I would not put his odds very high because of the demographic and turnout advantages that Democrats have in presidential elections. Rubio would possibly win Florida, but I don't see him being particularly able to mobilize support in states that Romney lost Obama otherwise. The problem for Rubio (and really any Republican) is that their margin of error is extremely slim. He basically has to win 5 out of 6 of NV, FL, VA, CO, OH, and IA.

I think that if he's running against Hillary Clinton he will have a much easier time mobilizing support in some of the redder purple states. I could easily see him winning all of those states listed except for Florida and Ohio, which would make for a pretty close election. It's definitely an uphill battle for the Republicans in the Presidential race anyway you cut it, though.

GalacticAcid posted:

GOP strategists are worried about Ben Carson because they remember what happened the last time a mentally enfeebled black man stood between a Clinton and electoral victory.

:staredog:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maarek posted:

I think that if he's running against Hillary Clinton he will have a much easier time mobilizing support in some of the redder purple states. I could easily see him winning all of those states listed except for Florida and Ohio, which would make for a pretty close election. It's definitely an uphill battle for the Republicans in the Presidential race anyway you cut it, though.

He has to win Ohio and Florida.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “There’s new speech talk — it’s like,safe space, or something like that? I mean, come on." ~ Jeb!

This quote, the "hell yeah I'd murder lil Hitler," and the fantasy football poo poo...Jeb!'s brand is "sensible tough-talking suburban dad."

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

zoux posted:

He has to win Ohio and Florida.

He can win without Ohio.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

I don't see how right wingers could hate her more than they hated Obama in 12. I think the opposite problem though, that Hillary will have turnout problems.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shageletic posted:

According to California's Legislative Analysis Office, California would need to bridge a revenue gap of 46 billion dollars to institute single payer in the state. Of course, this was generated in 2008, before the ACA. And even Vermont's analysis factored in the federal government pitching in and continuing to handle medicare and medicaid, but that did not still cover their own revenue gap.

Now I'm not saying that a single payer system is not the advisable route for health care in this country. I think its pretty clear that it would be preferable to how things currently work. What I am saying that their is a large and substantial cost to taxpayers at its outset, and any advocate for it needs to keep that in the forefront of their mind, and be honest about it.

If California ever manages to slay Prop 13 and related property tax restrictions, they could probably cover that multiple times over. :twisted:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

greatn posted:

I don't see how right wingers could hate her more than they hated Obama in 12. I think the opposite problem though, that Hillary will have turnout problems.

I don't think they will hate her more than Obama, just that they will like Rubio more than Romney.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Milk Malk posted:

Negro communities

whats going on here

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “There’s new speech talk — it’s like,safe space, or something like that? I mean, come on." ~ Jeb!

Now someone ask him how he feels about religious freedom laws and the right for bakeries to expel gay customers rather than serve them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Now someone ask him how he feels about religious freedom laws and the right for bakeries to expel gay customers rather than serve them

That sounds like the exact kind of liberty this country was founded on.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Maarek posted:

I think you're vastly overstating him and giving him the states that would actually be harder for him to win. Florida would/will be much easier for him to win because of the Cuban population. NV and CO are both strong states for Clinton, and Iowa is prolly the only one of that list that I think he has any shot to win.

I think Ohio will go D.

Maarek posted:

I don't think they will hate her more than Obama, just that they will like Rubio more than Romney.

Republican "apathy" isn't why Romney lost. He lost because he lost Hispanics and Women by huge margins. Which, guess what, so will Rubio everywhere but *maybe* Florida.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Crain posted:

So Howard University's "deadline" of 10am given in the threat on 4chan has come and gone, however there's still a large police presence on campus.

Additionally Bowie State University has had their own swastika drawn on a student center named after MLK.

This Washington Post Piece goes into a decent fresher on what's been going on around the country in regards to what seems to be turning into a student movement across the country.

I missed it, what was with 4chan and Howard?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Maarek posted:

He can win without Ohio.

He would not. Of those states. It would be a 269-269 tie, which, lol would be hilarious.

And to go one further, Fla is only in play if it's Rubio. None of the rest of that field is going to get any better Hispanic vote in the swing states than Mittens.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fried Chicken posted:

Someone posted an anonymous threat that they dropped out of Mizzou and were driving to Howard to shoot every [upstanding African-American] they saw today

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the spectrum chart from 2012. If trends stay the same, Rubio would need FL, OH, VA, and CO to win, though it's certainly possible that the balance changes. For instance, Rubio might have an easier time winning in Nevada.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think it's fair that Colorado gets 93 electoral votes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cheesus posted:

The Kentucky elections are barely a week behind us we still think that there's no way, zero-chance, never-in-a-million-years that the American people won't vote for Trump, Carson, or a half-empty box of cereal over Clinton/Sanders?

Correct, because Kentucky is not representative of America at large.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

Here's the spectrum chart from 2012. If trends stay the same, Rubio would need FL, OH, VA, and CO to win, though it's certainly possible that the balance changes. For instance, Rubio might have an easier time winning in Nevada.

I do not know what about Rubio would make OH/VA/CO closer. Really only one of those would have the "youth" quotient that we often talk about, but I think that'd be negated enough.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fried Chicken posted:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone posted an anonymous threat that they dropped out of Mizzou and were driving to Howard to shoot every [upstanding African-American] they saw today

Specifically the poster said they were going to wait till 10 am and then start hunting down black people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I do not know what about Rubio would make OH/VA/CO closer. Really only one of those would have the "youth" quotient that we often talk about, but I think that'd be negated enough.

Nothing about the particular candidate is going to change those outcomes, which will be determined by the current state of the economy, perception of the success of the Obama administration, and the effectiveness of the campaign organizations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I love living in CA.

Our 55 EV's completely wipes out the Midwest. :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain posted:

Specifically the poster said they were going to wait till 10 am and then start hunting down black people.

It's kind of absurd that one person posting anything has to be treated as 100% serious and real every time, but I dunno how you get around it, because the first time a threat is ignored turns out to be real...

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I don't think it's fair that Colorado gets 93 electoral votes.
Given the past few years I think we've earned it.

EDIT: When using charts from earlier elections don't forget to adjust for inflation the current trend of demographics on political balances :getin:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A Winner is Jew posted:

I love living in CA.

How about those ballot measures ahaha

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Winner is Jew posted:

I love living in CA.

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio have more EVs than California. And they're not all of the Midwest either.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ulf posted:

Given the past few years I think we've earned it.

As far as I'm concerned Colorado should be in charge of the whole country. Legal weed already, and universal health care soon, I'd be planning my relocation right now if my career options weren't completely randomized (yay tenure-track academia).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

As far as I'm concerned Colorado should be in charge of the whole country. Legal weed already, and universal health care soon, I'd be planning my relocation right now if my career options weren't completely randomized (yay tenure-track academia).

It's pretty good for white people.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mdemone posted:

Counterpoint: remember when Colorado ousted a perfectly decent Senator because he dared to push for modest gun-control reform.

Also if universal healthcare couldn't pass in Vermont of all places, it ain't gonna pass in Colorado.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mdemone posted:

I agree that Colorado, with the headquarters of the KKK, should be in charge of the country.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Joementum posted:

Nothing about the particular candidate is going to change those outcomes, which will be determined by the current state of the economy, perception of the success of the Obama administration, and the effectiveness of the campaign organizations.

Thanks a lot, Debbie Downer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

Also if universal healthcare couldn't pass in Vermont of all places, it ain't gonna pass in Colorado.

Well, small point of correction here: single payer healthcare did pass in Vermont and the Governor did (very narrowly) win re-election on it, but he decided that the plan was too costly to implement and shelved it.

That decision cost him the support of his left flank and he announced he would not seek re-election shortly there after.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Luigi Thirty posted:

I agree that Colorado, with the headquarters of the KKK, should be in charge of the country.

The KKK has nothing against the green just the brown.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zoux posted:

It's kind of absurd that one person posting anything has to be treated as 100% serious and real every time, but I dunno how you get around it, because the first time a threat is ignored turns out to be real...

Now, granted, they didn't just go and close everything and fill the college with SWAT members with full auto M60's and air support. They just increased police presence.

But I get your point.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are you thinking of Focus on the Family?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

PupsOfWar posted:

Counterpoint: remember when Colorado ousted a perfectly decent Senator because he dared to push for modest gun-control reform.

Colorado at large has a moderate, slightly liberal bent. There are some hosed up awful racist shithole backwaters though, and one of them also happens to host the Military Acadamy for the country's Air Force :unsmigghh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Greatbacon posted:

Colorado at large has a moderate, slightly liberal bent. There are some hosed up awful racist shithole backwaters though, and one of them also happens to host the Military Acadamy for the country's Air Force :unsmigghh:

Colorado Springs *shudders*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crain posted:

Now, granted, they didn't just go and close everything and fill the college with SWAT members with full auto M60's and air support. They just increased police presence.

But I get your point.

A better example would be how they cancelled the online harassment panels at SXSW because of internet threats of violence. If you can shut down anything just by posting "ima shoot it up" on 4chan, then how can you ever do anything?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Greatbacon posted:

There are certainly more conservative votes concentrated in the state's various redneck counties than in Colorado Springs alone.

Colorado also has a ton of libertarian-leaning white yuppies along the Front Range tech corridor who love weed, but can't be counted upon to vote for leftist proposals (like universal healthcare) that would actually require their tax-dollars to be allocated toward helping hispanics and poor white people.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Polling indicates PA is trending red this time. It will be interesting to see if that bares out, or it will be another artifact of poor underpolling like some many other cases lately

• Locked thread