Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm thinking of trying the game out again for the free period, just to do the storylines and eventually hop back out. How solo-friendly is the game?

This game is more solo friendly than it was way back when. Trusts, survival guide/unity/vw/home point/etc warps, records of eminence and unity quests really help with the leveling. I am not sure how long the free period lasts, but I would buy the game for $10, start on Asura it is one of the higher populated servers and it has a goon led and fed LS. Buying the full game for $10 also includes a free month of game time, so if you focus on ffxi you can get a job to 99 and all the story missions done. With some help from goons or other people from asura. Shouts and yells are there for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I beat it. Like a dagger straight into my heart. How the gently caress has this game existed for half of my life?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
FINAL FIGHT SPOILERS:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

frodnonnag posted:

FINAL FIGHT SPOILERS:

Fitting, being chased by goblins to the valkurm zone is flashing through the sky.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Fitting, being chased by goblins to the valkurm zone is flashing through the sky.

Thats the big thing about the fight and the storyline your life flashing before your eyes before you die

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

Thats the big thing about the fight and the storyline your life flashing before your eyes before you die

Wait a minute, if you die at the end of this storyline how would you keep doing anything? Or does Magical Plot Stuff allow you to come back after the dust settles, or do they just handwave it altogether as far as gameplay goes and canonly you're as dead as dead gets?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

A couple of old friends of mine want to get back together and bang out the stories we have left over. Problem is I'm on a different server than they are. Will I be able to transfer during the welcome home campaign, or will I need to subscribe again first?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Inverted Sphere posted:

Wait a minute, if you die at the end of this storyline how would you keep doing anything? Or does Magical Plot Stuff allow you to come back after the dust settles, or do they just handwave it altogether as far as gameplay goes and canonly you're as dead as dead gets?

Everything works okay in the end.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Anything specific to get for the login event? Otherwise I'll attempt to get Ciphers.
Also, in-game as Deesan, can I get a pearl?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I can't be assed to resub after so many years and finish it all up myself. Are there any good summaries/collected dialogue/whatever of story missions from WotG and beyond? I read the RoV mission entries on bgwiki and I want to see some of this wacky stuff. The player becomes a god? And meets Altana? There's this funky jester guy you have to beat up at some point? Does Reisenjima look cool enough to be the only representation of the Far East FFXI ever gets?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I don't think they have the Rhapsodies missions included yet, though I expect they will eventually, but check out FFXI The Movie on YouTube.

The director's cut playlist is a solid choice. Skip ahead a few hundred videos to get to the start of Wings of the Goddess content (which intersplices the country-specific WotG stories at appropriate points).

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
So I saw they added xinput support. Does this mean I can finally use a 360 controller without having to switch out to a third party voodoo magic driver? Not that it's a big deal to do so but it's the only game I have to do that for. I'll probably log back on for the first time in months to finish up the storylines I never got to and the rhapsody conclusion.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

According to the end credits (yes, FFXI is an MMO with an end credit roll after you finish RoV) the NA side is down to 5 GMs and 2 SGMs.

Also, outside of some very specific high end gear setups, the last fight is not something that is easily soloable with trusts.

Maybe I should start clipping/botting

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Did they ever allow keyboard customization? I really want to spend a month to do the story but being left handed makes WASD a pain the in dick and would much rather use arrow keys.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Dubious posted:

Did they ever allow keyboard customization? I really want to spend a month to do the story but being left handed makes WASD a pain the in dick and would much rather use arrow keys.

I played with arrow keys as far back as 2004 so I'm not sure what you mean. If it hasn't changed theres 3 presets you can use for the keyboard. I think if you set it to full then you use the arrow keys for movement, and any letter based bind simply opens a chat prompt.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dubious posted:

The default layout uses the number pad to move. :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So do we know anything about the mobile version beyond "it exists"

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Hivac posted:

So do we know anything about the mobile version beyond "it exists"

Aside from "it'll be a new experience", no.

That said, I might hop on for free weekend, but really only for massive amounts of regret and disappointment.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Really let down by those final key items not just breaking the game in half. You literally become 2 gods and then tape yourself back together to become a super god so you can punch the literal embodiment of entropy in the face, so why is it the only thing you get is +90% capacity points? You mean to tell me that the worst thing to ever exist ever is just as strong as a land-shark hanging out in a cave still, or any other random BC monster? Really disappointing.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 13, 2015

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Zero The Hero posted:

Maybe I should start clipping/botting

From the piles of corpses lamenting their lost toons on BG it seems like their auto-flag stuff for botting and speedhacking is pretty effective.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Male of the Century posted:

Really let down by those final key items not just breaking the game in half. You literally become 2 gods and then tape yourself back together to become a super god so you can punch the literal embodiment of entropy in the face, so why is it the only thing you get is +90% capacity points? You mean to tell me that the worst thing to ever exist ever is just as strong as a land-shark hanging out in a cave still, or any other random BC monster? Really disappointing.

Dude dying is really taxing on the godsoul.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I agree that this last set of Rhapsodies buffs felt pretty anemic compared to the earlier ones.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

I really suspect a number of hardmode fights to come out in the coming updates, they literally left wotg and soa story fights untouched, leaving tons of content to use and reuse.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Not to mention the untouched ones from the first three. hard mode mammets would be interesting, as would alexander/odin and the tonberry fight from zilart.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Not to mention the untouched ones from the first three. hard mode mammets would be interesting, as would alexander/odin and the tonberry fight from zilart.

gently caress THE MAMMETS TO HELL

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
But the point would still remain that anything new they put out from this point on, and anything previous that is considered "top tier" content, is stronger than literally the worst thing imaginable that is devouring entire universes left and right. They don't even hand-wave it away like they do in 14 with the hard modes being an exaggerated retelling of events from a drunk bard.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

From the piles of corpses lamenting their lost toons on BG it seems like their auto-flag stuff for botting and speedhacking is pretty effective.

That kinda sucks, I knew people who clipped for years without getting caught. I guess they've started cracking down on it?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

That kinda sucks, I knew people who clipped for years without getting caught. I guess they've started cracking down on it?

Which doesn't make any sense. Game is pretty much on life support why give a gently caress?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

all my mules made it to asura, time to start spending the 30 red pells and 75 green pells i have built up.

So far, I've maxed all my taeon set with +2 ta and the pants have max +20 attack/accuracy. Still have something like 25 red pells to tear through.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Holyshoot posted:

Which doesn't make any sense. Game is pretty much on life support why give a gently caress?

From what I understand, they automated it so that they didn't have to care anymore, and the automation is better at catching it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Prism posted:

From what I understand, they automated it so that they didn't have to care anymore, and the automation is better at catching it.

So the makers just need to figure out how it's catching it and work around that automation.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

But the point would still remain that anything new they put out from this point on, and anything previous that is considered "top tier" content, is stronger than literally the worst thing imaginable that is devouring entire universes left and right. They don't even hand-wave it away like they do in 14 with the hard modes being an exaggerated retelling of events from a drunk bard.

there's a bit of backstory to it. It's you reliving your past memories. There's also a bit of hidden lore involving the fact that the NPC to give you the key items for the fights is a mannequin, and alot of that nonsense is related to hades, as well as all events in SoA.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
SoA unlocked, final Lb done. Thanks guys! Now to grind out 99 and get some ilvl gear to do story.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes I like to bust out the WAR and help people in Abyssea.

I realize now that I missed my calling with the Abyssea expansions. WAR could be useful there. I miss my WAR being useful.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Shinjobi posted:

I realize now that I missed my calling with the Abyssea expansions. WAR could be useful there. I miss my WAR being useful.

You missed out on cleaving? Dayum.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Melees are being useful again for escha-riesen, alot of the tier1s are stupidly magic resistant and even my smn has difficulties dealing with them, however a TP party setup is able to faceroll them in under a minute.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

sorry for the newbie & probably already asked questions but... I just hopped back in this game after missing most of adoulin (last event I did was a very small amount of Delve grinding, none of the bosses were killed though). I got some sparks gear (i117), a whole bunch of trusts, and unlocked my empy WS. Could anyone point me in the direction of what gear to work towards next? It seems this time around there is a lot of choices, and I'm not sure what is the ideal way to work to the top.

I figured reforged AF1+1 is my next goal, but should it be skipped for reforged AF2+1 instead (or even skip that and go for Reforged AF3?) Though its somewhat confusing cause all those reforged armor sets are all lower ilvl than the sparks vendor gear I bought for dirt cheap, but from what I understand that gear isn't really i117??

I also logged in on Quetz and noticed the goon shell was empty and now everyone is on Asura... maybe I'll transfer over there and join you all if the game keeps my interest long enough, but for now I'm duo'ing with another friend, so preferably looking for advice on a gear path that can be obtained duo (RDM+THF) with trusts.

Hopefully we could get enough gear so we can atleast stand in Reisenjima and actually be able to hit the monsters in there :( We're currently blocked by the Rhapsodies chapter 3-2 because the 3 monsters that spawn at night that we have to kill are just so tough.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 16, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Item level 119 gear is the new level 99 gear which was the new level 75 gear.

In other words, lots of sidegrades and macro pieces. Though unlike the older stuff, everything has at least some consistent baseline of stats, accuracy, evasion, etc. that it offers.

Probably the next step to focus on after 117 sparks gear, is Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish (not to be confused with Yorcia Skirmish without the word Alluvion), which directly rewards 119 armor and occasionally rewards mellidopt (sp) wings which can be exchanged for 119 weapons or for armor which refuses to drop. The weapons can also be obtained directly from Rala Alluvion Skirmish or Cirdas Alluvion Skirmish depending on weapon, but Yorcia's a lot easier and arguably more fun with its gimmick. Meanwhile, you'll get a bunch of stones from all those Yorcia runs, and you can throw the stones at the armor and weapons in hopes of (useful) semi-random upgrade augments.

On the side, you can work on AF upgrades if you like. This is a two-step process. The first step gets you 109 gear, which will have lower base stats but still might be useful as a macro swap piece (AF2 in particular has a bunch of "makes specific job ability better" stuff that you can macro in only for popping that job ability). You can then upgrade it again to 119 (which is more of a pain) to make it comparable to everything else for base stats. Upgrading AF3 to 119 has an additional requirement of getting kills in some endgame content called Vagary.

Beyond those relatively straightforward options, read up about gearing options (ffxiah.com's forums tend to have good write-ups of gear to be shooting for in stickies at the top of each job's respective forum) and decide which particular flavor of current endgame content you want to pursue for other 119 gear. Some of the gear comes as-is and augmenting isn't even a thing (e.g. AF upgrades). Some comes with random augments and you try for the gear itself over and over until you get one augmented the way you like (e.g. Sinister Reign). Some lets you choose augment "paths" and then throw items at it to gradually upgrade along those paths (e.g. Escha). And some lets you throw items at it for as many shots of semi-random augments as you're willing to stomach the cost of the items for (e.g. Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish, Reisenjima).

If you're only interested in story, of course, you don't really need to hassle any of that gearing stuff (too much; the tail ends of SoA and RoV missions can be tougher). Depending on jobs - I'm afraid I don't know many details about RDM or THF - there may be important things to pursue besides sheer gear/ilvl upgrades, such as certain spells or job point gifts.

For what it's worth, the three night-only mobs for RoV are the hardest thing you have to fight for those missions besides the final boss.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I resubbed last Friday because I guess I wasn't allowed to server transfer characters that were technically inactive, so I'm on Asura now, although it's more because a lot of friends I met in XIV are on Asura.

Is there a i119 replacement for the elemental staves/combo staff? I saw that there was a cure potency staff from some Unity thing, but I'd like to replace my Chantoyant Staff with another all in one if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I play RDM and THF. Get the espial set from sparks vendors to get 117, get an eminent scimitar for the rdm and an eminent dagger for the thf.

Buy stuff on the AH to make a sandung for the thf, its a 119 treasure hunter dagger.

Go to yorcia alluvion skirmishes and get both of them a set of taeon armor. Use wings to purchase an ipetam for the thf to replace the eminent dagger (and eventually a second if you want instead of sandung). Use wings on the rdm to get either an ipetam or a Claidheamh Soluis for the rdm depending if you prefer sword or dagger (I prefer dagger).

You can then use the stones to do random augments on them according to these charts:
weapons
Armor

Note: The no brainer on the taeon for both is leaf stones for triple attack +2 on each piece, snow stones for attack and accuracy, and dusk stones for str and dex (this adds attack and accuracy). For Ipetam add double attack with leaf, attack and accuracy or just straight accuracy with snow, and damage with dusk.

119'ing your af/relic/empy should be done on a piece by piece basis depending on your needs. Thf can probably just do one piece per slot (th hands and feet, etc), rdm will need between 1 and 3 pieces per slot.

Additional useful gear: don't bother with helios set from yorcia alluvion on the rdm, you'll get all that from upgrading r/a/e. Telchine may be useful for healing stuff.

Jewelry: steelflash and bladeborne earrings, asperity necklace from delve, windbuffet belt from AH, eponas ring is still good for thf, good dark rings are good for both, defending ring is good for both (you can use repeat login points for the pop item). Raiders boomerang is good ranged item for thief, too.

The good thing is you can pretty much gear them identically for fighting, then just focus on building the set stuff to make the rdm spellcasting more useful as you see fit (swap pieces for +cure potency like taxamachi, swap pieces for enfeebling/enhancing, etc.)