Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I am mystified as to how people considered fallout 4 the most hotly anticipated pc game of 2015.

Silentman0 posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were fun games. Not really a stretch of the ol' noodle, there.

It's actually because Bethesda are really loving good at marketing. Since around Skyrim they've built up this reputation of being part of that intangible category that normal people think of when they think of "games". They got to go first at E3 for Christ's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Also while they remake different flavours of the same game over and over since morrowind, they are kind of the only ones to make those wonky rear end games where you can pick up every single broom in the game world if you want to.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
They also have the whole "release gameplay snippets where everything is tightly scripted and shows off a bunch of tiny little features that make people think that level of detail is applied to the whole game" thing down to an artform.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fathis Munk posted:

Also while they remake different flavours of the same game over and over since morrowind, they are kind of the only ones to make those wonky rear end games where you can pick up every single broom in the game world if you want to.

It's the From Software thing- people want what they're making, and they're the only ones making it, so their poo poo sells like hotcakes even if it kinda sucks in a couple of important ways.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Somfin posted:

It's the From Software thing- people want what they're making, and they're the only ones making it, so their poo poo sells like hotcakes even if it kinda sucks in a couple of important ways.

Also moddability. In an era where designing mods is a lot harder, if not impossible, Bethesda continues to make their rpgs super mod friendly so evantually people can cobble a really good game out of it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Somfin posted:

It's the same thing that got Rockstar rolling, too, and Platinum Games has arguably got the same thing.

The thing that separates Bethesda from even that crowd is that for some reason, nobody even tries to compete with them. GTA had to deal with a slew of copycats, some of which have endured and become genuine competitors. The entire industry has tried and largely failed to follow Dark Souls, and a few straight imitators have cropped up. And every so often you do see an action game try to take notes from Platinum (although usually those companies just ask Platinum to make the game instead).

But for whatever reason everyone's looked at the commercial success of basically every Bethesda title since Oblivion, the goddamn frenzy that surrounds them at this point, and gone 'you guys can have that whole pie, we're fine without a slice'. Sure you see a couple games sneakily borrow a feature or two, maybe it'll generally 'smell' a bit similar, but anybody making a western RPG is more picking a fight with Bioware, nobody bothers to stand up and try to be the next Skyrim. The Witcher, maybe, but that's never felt like the same thing to me.

That of course means that Bethesda's off doing their own poo poo, and there's no competition to either force them to step up their game or to provide an alternative. I feel like Fallout 4 might be an attempt to stop themselves from stagnating, but rather than fix the problems people actually have with their games they're trying to take cues from the games that are 'sort of but not really' competing with them. But it's unlikely that they'll get proper feedback if this is properly a bad move (personally I think it is), because where the hell else are their audience gonna go?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Nov 13, 2015

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

To be fair, the last direct 'competitor' to Oblivion and Skyrim was the Two Worlds series

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

beato posted:

Pro-click

Pretty much anything the McElroy brothers are involved in is pretty legit.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

mysterious frankie posted:

Pretty much anything the McElroy brothers are involved in is pretty legit.

I had no idea they were brothers. Their banter makes sense now and even more hilarious

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Please watch literally every episode of Monster Factory. They are all great.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

vandelay industries posted:

I had no idea they were brothers. Their banter makes sense now and even more hilarious

There's a third brother as well and the all do a really funny "advice" podcast together called My Brother, My Brother And Me where they use, among other things, inane or batshit crazy Yahoo Answers questions as a springboard into great interbrother banter. Definitely worth your time if you like the humor in Monster Factory. There's one where they all play D&D with their dad. I think one about prepping, another about dogs, Justin does one with his doctor wife about medicine, etc. They and their various family members do more podcasts than there are stars in the sky.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

SpacePig posted:

Please watch literally every episode of Monster Factory. They are all great.

Seriously, everyone do yourselves a favor and watch them. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaDrN74SfdT6duuVl_8qxJ5eaaPHRX_ij

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Somfin posted:

What ways (From Software, I mean)? I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm genuinely curious.

Also the Oblivion Monster Factory is god damned amazing

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also moddability. In an era where designing mods is a lot harder, if not impossible, Bethesda continues to make their rpgs super mod friendly so evantually people can cobble a really good game out of it.

Yeah, I initially got about 8-10 hours into Skyrim on a console and then didn't really stick with it. It wasn't until I started seeing mods that made it look and play incredibly better that I got the Steam collection and played the poo poo out of it. I'll likely do the same with FO4.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Farecoal posted:

Also the Oblivion Monster Factory is god damned amazing

The Bethesda console command ones are fun, definitely, but the best monsters so far are Christopher Christopher "The Pebble" Christopher Christopher and the Boy Mayor of Second Life, because they're absolute abominations, but done entirely in-game with no mods at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, I was thinking about sharing Monster Factory here a few days ago.

The Oblivion one had me in stitches for all the gags, but the the Dark Souls and Bloodborne was were pretty great for just how frightening of a creature they made with just what the game offered.

And the horror they created in Mass Effect by loving with the editor tool. :allears:

vandelay industries posted:

Off topic, but they do a podcast that's pretty much one big excuse for them to banter about dumb poo poo with their third brother, it's called "My Brother My Brother and Me" and it's probably one of my favorite podcasts. (They have a second podcast where they play D&D, along with their dad, called The Adventure Zone, it's also great.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Uuuh, how can you not bring up Sawbones which is Justin McElroy and his wife talking about stupid poo poo ye olde timey people did in the field of medicine ?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I know that FO4 is the topic of the moment but drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKnEgPEGmA

That random character generator is amazing.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Speaking of Fallout 4, I've just seen three Pipboy Editions (as in, with the "ultra-rare" Pipboys and huge fuckoff boxes) for sale in my local CEX. I can't believe that someone would buy the game in one of the most expensive editions only to sell it so quickly. I suppose they didn't budget for it when they put their preorder down?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Roro posted:

Speaking of Fallout 4, I've just seen three Pipboy Editions (as in, with the "ultra-rare" Pipboys and huge fuckoff boxes) for sale in my local CEX. I can't believe that someone would buy the game in one of the most expensive editions only to sell it so quickly. I suppose they didn't budget for it when they put their preorder down?

A lot of people are illiterate or something and thought they were legit pipboys and got really, really upset when it was just a strap for your phone like advertised.

EDIT: Oh yeah and people ordered like five at a time to resell and are really upset they're not selling for 400 dollars a piece like they were before they shipped out.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Nov 14, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My neckbeard employee preordered 3 of the pip boy editions from 3 different retailers because he assumed some or all of them would get cancelled so now he has 3 pip boy editions.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Haha holy poo poo people are super dumb.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Roro posted:

You've also got to bear in mind that CEX is basically a professional fence and chances are they might be stolen/excess stock. Or maybe just unwanted gifts. Or, possibly even more likely, they're PC versions with the codes redeemed.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

mysterious frankie posted:

There's a third brother as well and the all do a really funny "advice" podcast together called My Brother, My Brother And Me where they use, among other things, inane or batshit crazy Yahoo Answers questions as a springboard into great interbrother banter. Definitely worth your time if you like the humor in Monster Factory. There's one where they all play D&D with their dad. I think one about prepping, another about dogs, Justin does one with his doctor wife about medicine, etc. They and their various family members do more podcasts than there are stars in the sky.

Well poo poo, I'm definitely checking this out then.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Roro posted:

Haha holy poo poo people are super dumb.

Until he turns around and sells them for 200% mark up to even dumber people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Farecoal posted:

What ways (From Software, I mean)?

Dark Souls 1 was borderline unplayable on PC without DSFix, a mod that was cooked up in less than 24 hours that solves a bunch of issues (locked rendering resolution, unskppable idents on startup, bad textures, the mouse cursor being on screen) that the game had at launch. The game initially routed all of its network play through Games For Windows Live, which, holy gently caress why. Also it turned a lot of people off by bragging about its difficulty so much, which made a lot of (stupid) people think that they had to take on the first boss using the tutorial weapon, and probably contributed to a lot of ragequitting.

Dark Souls 2 threw out the beautifully compact interwoven, practical, physical world map of the first game (which was probably the main understated selling point for me) in favour of a sprawly dreamworld thing that makes no goddamn sense. It fixed a lot of negligible gameplay gripes and tightened up a lot of playstyles, but I had no loving clue what I was doing in that game. I'll probably pick up Scholar of the First Sin edition at some point and play through it, but I tried the vanilla version a bit after launch and found it so... confused, I guess, that I put it down and haven't touched it since.

Bloodbourne is PS4 exclusive which just pisses me off because it looks amazing.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Nov 14, 2015

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Somfin posted:

Dark Souls 1 was borderline unplayable on PC without DSFix, a mod that was cooked up in less than 24 hours that solves a bunch of issues (locked rendering resolution, unskppable idents on startup, bad textures, the mouse cursor being on screen) that the game had at launch. The game initially routed all of its network play through Games For Windows Live, which, holy gently caress why. Also it turned a lot of people off by bragging about its difficulty so much, which made a lot of (stupid) people think that they had to take on the first boss using the tutorial weapon, and probably contributed to a lot of ragequitting.

Dark Souls 2 threw out the beautifully compact interwoven, practical, physical world map of the first game (which was probably the main understated selling point for me) in favour of a sprawly dreamworld thing that makes no goddamn sense. It fixed a lot of negligible gameplay gripes and tightened up a lot of playstyles, but I had no loving clue what I was doing in that game. I'll probably pick up Scholar of the First Sin edition at some point and play through it, but I tried the vanilla version a bit after launch and found it so... confused, I guess, that I put it down and haven't touched it since.

Oh, yeah. Agreed with all of that, especially Bloodborne being a PS4 exclusive :mad:. Although I did like DS2 and it was the first Souls game I tried/completed! I like DS1 a little better having played both now tho.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Somfin posted:

The game initially routed all of its network play through Games For Windows Live, which, holy gently caress why.
Btw, the answer is ALWAYS "one less API to integrate". The GFWL library is basically identical to the XBL library, so if you were putting a game on PC and 360 it was really hard to justify (to publishing) to use something else.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Somfin posted:

Scholar of the First Sin is very good

Bloodborne wouldn't exist without Sony so of course it's an exclusive.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

You've also got to bear in mind that CEX is basically a professional fence and chances are they might be stolen/excess stock. Or maybe just unwanted gifts. Or, possibly even more likely, they're PC versions with the codes redeemed.

Two XBone versions and a PS4 version, but the stolen/excess/unwanted part is pretty valid. Very expensive unwanted gift though, sheesh.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Roro posted:

Two XBone versions and a PS4 version, but the stolen/excess/unwanted part is pretty valid. Very expensive unwanted gift though, sheesh.

My friend once bought their sister a brand new NIntendo DS because they didn't really have anything in the way of digital entertainment (poverty loving sucks). They immediately flipped it for cash in CEX. On the one hand I get it, because you know, poverty loving sucks, but on the other I kinda wish they had said something. Would rather have given them the cash straight up, you know? They ended up with less because of it :( So it does happen, for a variety of reasons. I'll never judge anyone who uses, shops at, or sells at CEX despite the slightly dodgy business practices.

Unless they're a burglar or something. gently caress them.

Glitch chat: Holy poo poo watch the Monster Factory series I have been in tears all goddamn night from laughter. My sides hurt.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Power armor does a body good:

http://imgur.com/8MLo3c3

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Grey Fox posted:

Power armor does a body good:

http://imgur.com/8MLo3c3

This is the best Glitch in Two Parts I've ever seen. It goes from good to great in seconds flat.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Fathis Munk posted:

I know that FO4 is the topic of the moment but drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKnEgPEGmA

That random character generator is amazing.

That moment around 6:00 where you have to wait for the reveal, goddamn.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

My friend once bought their sister a brand new NIntendo DS because they didn't really have anything in the way of digital entertainment (poverty loving sucks). They immediately flipped it for cash in CEX. On the one hand I get it, because you know, poverty loving sucks, but on the other I kinda wish they had said something. Would rather have given them the cash straight up, you know? They ended up with less because of it :( So it does happen, for a variety of reasons. I'll never judge anyone who uses, shops at, or sells at CEX despite the slightly dodgy business practices.

Unless they're a burglar or something. gently caress them.

Glitch chat: Holy poo poo watch the Monster Factory series I have been in tears all goddamn night from laughter. My sides hurt.

Oh, I'm not judging it, I just feel the same way you felt about that situation. It would have saved so much hassle just getting money.

Uhh... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4x_BRqIpI! On topic. Shepard's looking a bit rough.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Whoever recorded this managed to make it look like a Fallout 2 cutscene but you get the idea. http://i.imgur.com/AOXiTTR.gifv

e: this is higher up in the page, woops!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like they copied this one and made it bigger for some dumb reason

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
And here I thought Silent Hills was canceled.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If you're pixel-perfect right above an enemy when you use the melee stomp in The Evil Within, you get some sick ballerina moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CT7EfLRWcAIZeiY.mp4