Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ramc posted:

Lom Lobon Lobs Law Bombs was a team name a version or two ago if I remember right.
Oh that sounds familiar, maybe I was even subconsciously remembering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
 You shoot a needle of frenzy. The needle of frenzy hits Mara!
 Mara flies into a frenzy!
Actually good, since Mara doesn't get the might/haste from berserk and doesn't summon illusions.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
:toot:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-22-g5edae84 (webtiles) character file.

16776887 bananaken the Grand Master (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Monk on Nov 12, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 13, 2015!

The game lasted 07:02:01 (93248 turns).

bananaken the Grand Master (Minotaur Monk)         Turns: 93248, Time: 07:02:01

Health: 273/273    AC: 36    Str: 50      XL:     27
Magic:  42/42      EV: 35    Int: 27 (28) God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   10604      SH:  0    Dex: 38      Spells: 13 memorised, 0 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     P - +9 armour of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}
rNeg   + + +     SustAt   .     (no shield)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     o - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     z - +2 cloak "Nosoas" {*Contam rC+ Regen+ MP+9}
rCorr  +         Warding  .     q - +0 pair of gloves "Unkaogil" {rN++ Str+4}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     w - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     ++++.                    Y - amulet of Cheibriados's Esteem {Clar rC++ MP-9 Str+7}
Stlth  ..........               J - ring "Piux" {Wiz Str+6}
                                f - ring of Konamas {rF+ rN+ Str+3 Int+4}

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Statue Form           Trmt/Erth      #######..    1%          6    ###....
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
c - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
d - Lehudib's Crystal Sp  Conj/Erth      #######...   4%          8    ######.
e - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ######       1%          2    None
f - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #######...   1%          7    #####..
g - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      #######...   1%          6    ###....
h - Phase Shift           Tloc           ######....   1%          5    None
i - Shatter               Erth           ########..   17%         9    #######
j - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           ###.......   4%          2    None
k - Song of Slaying       Chrm           ######..     1%          2    None
l - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   1%          3    None
m - Silence               Hex/Air        ######....   4%          5    None
chei_reasons.txt

I was chucking LCS in GDA, as well as shatter in statue form, though mostly I just punched things to death.

Also, does it matter if I add team captain correctly after a win? I noticed my team captain line wasn't on the first line of the RC file just now.. :saddowns:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

apple posted:

Also, does it matter if I add team captain correctly after a win? I noticed my team captain line wasn't on the first line of the RC file just now.. :saddowns:

It doesn't matter when you add it, as long as you add it before the cutoff. Whatever team you are on when the cutoff comes (on Saturday I think) gets credit for everything you've done in the tournament.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Today's regret: Wishing I'd known/remembered gargoyles can't cast statue form any more before buying a sodding book with it in.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Reminder that the current nemchoice is GhAm.

quote:

THE ULTYMATE RESISTANCES OF THE GHOUL COMBINED WITH POWYRFUL CLAW ATTACKS + RANGED SUPERIORITY FROM OF THE ARKANE MARKSPERSON MAKES THE GHAM THE POWER CLASS OF 0.8, 0.10, AND 0.11. GO FOR SPLINT MAIL FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION + FLEXIBILITY // - THIS GUIDE BY SLAUGHTRO POWER CRAWLMASTER X

apple
May 18, 2003

Not My Leg posted:

It doesn't matter when you add it, as long as you add it before the cutoff. Whatever team you are on when the cutoff comes (on Saturday I think) gets credit for everything you've done in the tournament.

Oh ok good, there's a 15 runer for the team then, woohoo :toot:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

Aaah, I hate decision paralysis. My last winning game had 20 shops by O:4. This game I've found 4 acquirement scrolls by D:15 as a DgCj and I've only used one.

I honestly don't know what to go for. It feels too early for Wands or Jewellery. I used the first on armour and probably shouldn't have because I'm a caster, but I got a SInv hat, which isn't terrible.

I cleared down to Orc:4 to see if there was something nice in the shops I could use gold for, but no. I have a staff of conj, books of tempests, annihilations, and earth. I guess I could go staves or books?

Next step is probably to equip that *Contam Falchion for rPois and hit the Swamp.
code:
odiv the Devastator (Demigod Conjurer)             Turns: 45207, Time: 03:46:54
Found 2 more Acquirement scrolls in the Swamp. This is kind of a joke now. 6 scrolls found. 5 left. I should really use these, but I hate decisions.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Armor acquirement is good for casters too. Everyone likes resists and if you're very lucky you can get crazy stat boosts or regen+ or other really good stuff. I find jewellery and book acquirement to be pretty poo poo for most characters. Wands is always good until you have hasting and heal wounds; it's weighted towards the useful ones, so you have a respectable chance to get a good wand even before you've found all that many (you will actually get magic darts). I would split them between armor and wands, personally. Staves could be good if you have a high elemental school and want to use the enhancer staff. I quite like weapon acquirement in the early game, but that's not relevant for you. Holding onto them is pretty wasteful, though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Holding onto them is pretty wasteful, though.
Yeah, I just figured playing a bit more might provide some direction.

My armour is quite good, but maybe I should be aiming a bit higher as a Dg (and maybe putting a bunch into Str since my Int is at 29 now?).

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I found an amulet of regeneration, +4 slaying ring, and +2 lightning dagger on my DECj and I'm only on D:3. Do I start fighting? That is, stealth and dodge fighting?

edit: Goddamnit I died. loving gnolls.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

:toot:

morgue
Not as impressive as all these lovely 15 runes but I'll take any win during a tourney to be honest. Also, it seems I play... slow.

Also, qaz_reasons

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

apple posted:

Oh ok good, there's a 15 runer for the team then, woohoo :toot:

Nice! All our slacking is paying off; we've broken the top 40!

We might be doing slightly better if I had been willing to finish 15 runes on my CeAM, but it was too painful. Pan slogged on forever and I was ready for something new; ended up capping it off at 10 runes. No more ranged-heavy characters for me for a while; the combo of manually aiming shots (because tab doesn't sticky target) and manually targeting ammo apports (because it always targets the nearest item) is just too much after a while.

Also Locke37 is officially the slackingest slacker, being the only one to have not updated their .rc file for the team. Congrats!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Crawl is getting too omgrandom for me.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apple posted:

I see Cerebov developed a taste for holy swine :btroll:

I love this sort of stuff in crawl. I think they are a little too infrequent for my taste but when you find neat little (vaults?) with some character and extra-attention to them it really makes a run special. Especially in Pan where the floors are just so boring and ugly in general.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Also Locke37 is officially the slackingest slacker, being the only one to have not updated their .rc file for the team. Congrats!

What do I do? I thought I just added the # Team Captain thing, I haven't ever participated in a team before. Can I get a "Joining Crawl Teams For Dummies" in a [code] I can just copy and paste?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

I love this sort of stuff in crawl. I think they are a little too infrequent for my taste but when you find neat little (vaults?) with some character and extra-attention to them it really makes a run special. Especially in Pan where the floors are just so boring and ugly in general.

My favorite of these I ever found was a MiFi stumbling into a room with a few minotaur corpses and a bunch of beef jerkies. Suddenly everything got real.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Diplomat/Diplomat.txt

Well, I've got two runes with my Ogre Blinkspammer of Ash, but I'm not totally sure what the hell to do next. I'm kind of middle-of-the-road in everything I do and I'm a bit concerned that this character doesn't have the chops to handle Vaults or Depths; he's amazing at wriggling his way out of trouble, but his defences are meh and his raw damage output, while good, isn't quite enough to carry him in spite of his poor defences. I'm probably gonna grab a book containing Stoneskin from a shop, but beyond that, it's basically Phase Shift and a lot of frantic loving around with positioning and blinking.

Some thoughts:

1. Large rocks are very useful, as are curare needles, but Throwing at its current level isn't always enough to waste jerks like Convokers before they have a chance to make my day much shittier. Even with Portal Projectile, it's still a roll of the dice whether they'll die fast enough. However, I'm concerned about investing in Evocations, since I'm already spread out all over the place. I might have to rely on getting sassy with needles of sleeping, instead.

2. Ash is extremely useful, but is almost proving to be as much of a hindrance as a help in some ways. Scrying is awesome, inherent sInv and Clarity are fantastic, and reverse maprot is really convenient, but that's basically everything I'm getting out of Ash in exchange for resistance swapping being a pain in the rear end. This is probably contributing to my lovely defences. If I did abandon Ash, though, I have no idea who I'd worship. Maybe Dith; I could go all-in on stealthy clubstabbing, in that case.

3. The spells I have are all quite functional in their current state, but I'm not really using a couple of them (I'm looking at you, Gell's Gravitas) and I have a shitload of spare spell levels. I could focus heavily on one or two schools to get some really good spells online (perhaps Haste and dMisl - I have a ring of wizardry and can procure a staff), possibly with help from Ash retraining if need be, or I can use my massive stash of enchant scrolls to get some strong medium armour and just rely on basic utility spells to round out my core strategy of throwing, blinking, and hitting.

4. I should probably enchant up a GSC, but this branded Giant Club is doing the job nicely, and the faster attack speed gives me a little more wiggle room when trying not to eat alpha strikes from heavy hitters. Anything really dangerous just gets pelted with needles and rocks amidst a clusterfuck of blinking, assuming I don't just run away.

5. I literally have not found a single ego cloak and I want Crawl to know that it's being a real goddamn jerk right now.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 13, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You need to bind up your rings/amulet so it'll boost your magic skills, which will help if you manage to find a staff of wizardry for switch casting. You've got the basic set of resistances handled in other places so you don't *have* to keep them open for switch shenanigans, barring maybe the occasional rElec that could be mitigated with a potion of resistance. You also might want to consider cursing your cloak; you already hate it, just make it official. :v:

I'd still consider switching to a GSC if you have a lot of enchant weapons scrolls just sort of lying around. With your skill as is it should be okay going from 0.7 to 0.85 attack speed.

You need to focus on something now that you've spread out from the initial "SMACK poo poo WITH TREE TRUNK." Your Throwing is rather low if you're relying on that to pelt everything with needles and rocks. Your Charms are low if you're looking to buff with higher level spells. Evocations is also an option as you've said but I'd put it a distant third to the other ones you're considering.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Locke Dunnegan posted:

What do I do? I thought I just added the # Team Captain thing, I haven't ever participated in a team before. Can I get a "Joining Crawl Teams For Dummies" in a [ code ] I can just copy and paste?

Is it the very first line of your 0.17 .rc file? It has to be the very first line (even whitespace beforehand will break it). Also copy-paste it to be sure you've got the formatting right. It's just:

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN SetecAstronomy
Once it's working you should show up on our team page here (after ~15 mins): http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.17/clans/setecastronomy.html .

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also make sure it's the 0.17 file, and not like, the trunk or .16 file. :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Well, biting the bullet and cursing myself up gave me enough skillboosts to reduce Haste's failure chance to 28%, so uh, thanks for that bit of advice :stare:

I'm gonna go all-in on Charms and a bit of Air Magic for Haste and dMisl. That should make my life a little easier.

e: poo poo, I can even cast Silence with a bit of Hexes investment.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You were sort of using Ashenzari at arm's length, you've got to embrace the non-switch style of play if you want to reap better benefits. :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

You were sort of using Ashenzari at arm's length, you've got to embrace the non-switch style of play if you want to reap better benefits. :)

Trip report: buffed up and hilariously clobbered a group of Depths enemies including a dragon, some hell knights, a bunch of deep trolls including an earth elementalist, some tengu, and a necromancer. Character still feels a little flimsy with 15 AC but he can certainly gently caress poo poo up when he wants to. This is much better :)

e:

Now we're talking :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 13, 2015

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's the best level 9 spell for all purpose zig clearing atm?

apple
May 18, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

What's the best level 9 spell for all purpose zig clearing atm?

Depends, but tornado is the most MP efficient, dishing out insane amounts of damage for the cost if you're surrounded. Shatter can do it as well if it's a floor with monsters that are vulnerable to it (though I wouldn't rely on it).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shatter is spectacular for clearing out certain floors in a hurry, but probably the all-around craziest in my experience is Tornado + Darkness. Being able to reduce LOS makes Tornado even stronger, because it reduces your vulnerability to smiters/tormentors/hellfirers/whateverers hanging out beyond its lethal range. Use it and Darkness along with Dithmenos, Demonspawn darkness mutations, and/or that one ring that grants passive umbra for a good time :devil:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is lantern of shadows still around because you may as well tack than on. I wonder if you can get to 1 square of LOS.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is lantern of shadows still around because you may as well tack than on. I wonder if you can get to 1 square of LOS.

It is but it drains MP now so it feels pretty useless (though admittedly a little busted when it didn't cost anything)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Crawl is getting too omgrandom for me.

Sorry (not sorry)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So, I've got an OgIE of Mahkleb that I was originally planning on being mostly meelee with some ice spells to buff up the defense... but I've found an early ring of wizardry and magic power, and there's the elemental staff in a shop. How crazy would it be to keep maces around 12, use the vampiric whip i have handy for a while while training shields and evo up, and just using the elemental staff + spells for damage down the road instead of working on a GSC?

e. I mean, even without dealing with the staff vamp whip + amulet of regen + mahkleb + shield could make things easy for a while

e2. + troll hide armour!

e3. On third thought, GSCs are just too drat good.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Man, Wizards are loving miserable if you don't find a way to do better damage than Magic Dart by like D:7. I died to a level with a fuckload of orcs around then because my blank lajatang and constantly blinking imps couldn't stop the pain train of orc warriors and constant smiting. It's really annoying after having such an incredibly easy win as that MiFi. The balance between classes is so bizarrely inconsistent. Why does Magic Dart cap damage so soon? Why does it get reduced by armor when it has poo poo damage to begin with? Why haven't they added like Force Lance or something to the Wizard book so you aren't 100% dependent on gishing or luck with books? Ugh. I'll just keep trying as a Draconian Conjuror instead of Wizard, but I like the idea of being a magic dilettante. :sigh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wizard is a well-hidden melee start, imo. Most conjuror types have stuff in their toolbox for direct damage but not really for the wizard. In exchange, blink, mephitic cloud, and repel missiles are all great spells that complement a melee character well.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Conjure Flame is also really good, too - cut off a path down a hall to give yourself breathing room, or melee something dumb enough to stand in flames. (Works good in Lair, too.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you don't get a real spell up by early/middle lair then your wizard is pretty much going to be praying not to die while body-blocking spiny frogs into flame clouds, yeah.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Wz is basically the "bite my rear end, D:3 centaurs!" start.

apple
May 18, 2003

I don't think I like playing for streaks, right after I won I went DEWz :downs:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Man, I think I'm done with ogres. 1/132 is just too much for me. Hopefully that's enough to show that I Ogrecame for this tournament

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Man, I think I'm done with ogres. 1/132 is just too much for me. Hopefully that's enough to show that I Ogrecame for this tournament

You have done well. Go and rest, you seem ogretired :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
My tournament win!
code:
1532597 Glidergun the Imperceptible (level 27, 150/199 HPs)
             Began as a Vampire Ice Elementalist on Nov 12, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Dithmenos.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Nov 14, 2015!

The game lasted 08:08:47 (87881 turns).

Glidergun the Imperceptible (VpIE)                 Turns: 87881, Time: 08:08:47

Health: 150/199    AC: 28    Str:  7      XL:     27
Magic:  35/35      EV: 27    Int: 31 (32) God:    Dithmenos [******]
Gold:   5679       SH: 15    Dex: 25      Spells: 11 memorised, 5 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +11 quick blade (elec)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     z - +5 ring mail of Perpetual Drought {*Confuse rN+ MR+++ Int+4}
rNeg   + + +     SustAt   .     C - +1 shield of Misanthropy {rElec rPois Dex+5}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     X - +5 helmet of Sif Muna's Envy {Int+3}
rElec  +         Spirit   +     q - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     P - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     Y - +2 pair of boots
MR     +++++                    W - amulet "Fopetaoch" {Spirit rPois rF+++ Slay-3}
Stlth  +++++++...               E - +4 ring of slaying
                                N - ring of wizardry
Got stabby as soon as I found a book with Hexes in it. That quickblade was acquired in Lair and was pretty much welded to my hand from then on. I wore an amulet of Clarity for most of the game, swapping to that amulet for the run down to Zot 5.

• Locked thread