Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

Swine King is the easiest if you bring an occultist or two and spam the damage debuff on him so all his hits do 0 damage.

The prophet is also very weak to the double Occ debuff, but who isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Wafflecopper posted:

Swine King is the easiest if you bring an occultist or two and spam the damage debuff on him so all his hits do 0 damage.

He's also trivial if you have an Arbalester clearing Wilbur's marks with Rallying Flare.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Panfilo posted:

In addition to having a challenging time with the Hag, I'm also dealing with the 3rd level of the Formless Flesh. The FF is probably the hardest of the 'secondary' bosses, because its form is so random. The main pattern I find with it is:

1.) The ribs have the most protection, and can stun. Avoid wasting attacks on them if possible.
2.) The head can do a lot of damage/bleed and is the second toughest part.
3.) The butt can apply blight/diseases on heroes, and attack from any position.
4.) The 'heart' heals itself, but its the most vulnerable.

Generally you want to hope to get lucky and get a lot of the more vulnerable parts present early on, so you can DoT it, particularly with bleeds. I find distributing DoTs works better than stacking them since it will 'tick' more frequently. Marking it will only mark that location, not the whole monster, so be careful because you could mark the 'heart' only to have it transform into a ribs section.
The only time I ever felt like Darkest Dungeon really poo poo on me was against the Champion-level Formless Flesh. I got a really terrible draw on its initial composition. It was something like (left to right) Head, Head, Ribs, Butt. I got like two solid swings in with my Hellion and Bounty Hunter and then the Formless Flesh was just like "lol fuk u" and proceeded to hit me with like 3 Crits in a row. By the end of the first round, despite having initiated the battle at nearly full health, I had two dead party members and another two who were severely wounded.

poo poo can go so horribly wrong in that encounter that I feel like building a party around a Vestal and stacking as many +Dodge trinkets and camping skills as possible is the objectively best way to approach it. Like... nothing else even comes close. So many of the Formless Flesh's possible mutations have Protection scores high enough to nullify whatever advantage a heavily damage-focused party might otherwise have. And since the Formless Flesh's damage output has the potential to be so loving high that it's genuinely impossible to heal through (in addition to having multi-target attacks and the ability to DoT the poo poo out of your party), you basically just have to bet big on Dodge insulating you from the potentially calamitous swings in fortune of multiple high-damage (possibily multi-target) attacks critting on you without ever having the opportunity to act in your own defense.

Honestly, a lot of bosses I feel you can prepare for. Hag? High damage, high mobility (or extremely formation-tolerant) party. Cannon and Prophet? 3rd and 4th rank reach. Siren? Debuff Resist. Swine King? Know the gimmick and Guard the marked targets if possible. Sunken Crew? Guard and/or high Dodge on the Anchor targets and bring Herbs/Holy Water to deal with the damage Debuff. Necromancer? Crowd Control.

...But the Formless Flesh? Pray. Pray that you get a soft target most of your party can focus fire on. Pray that you have enough Dodge to minimize the number of big-damage attacks that connect. Pray that it doesn't mutate into its most damaging forms.

I love it.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Running against the Flesh with 4 Houndmasters will absolutely wreck that boss. Hound's Harry will hit every target and cause bleed, you can very quickly rack up several stacks of bleed on every piece and that will drain that health bar faster than it can kill you. Really anything in the Warrens can be trumped by the Quad Dog Stratagem.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Further proof that dogs are the best.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I never thought of running quad dogs but I kind of want to now

I wish dog biscuits stacked though

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AoE stun attacks with +stun% trinkets are pretty hugely valuable against the Flesh. None of its parts have insurmountable stun resist.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
isnt formless flesh super weak vs bleed?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

isnt formless flesh super weak vs bleed?

Yeah it is. Spam Hound's Harry. That saved my butt with three heroes on Death's Door and the last not far behind.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 13, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

figures all the bosses I've faced are the hardest ones. Hags and Formless Flesh and one Prophet.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I never thought of running quad dogs but I kind of want to now

I wish dog biscuits stacked though

I've only taken 2 at one time but in my game the biscuits stacked

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I've only taken 2 at one time but in my game the biscuits stacked

Dog Treats have a default stack limit of 2, so running the Quad Dog will start you off with 2 separate stacks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Chitlin posted:

Dog Treats have a default stack limit of 2, so running the Quad Dog will start you off with 2 separate stacks.

Cool, did not know this.

Also, I learned the other day that you can't put two of the same trinket on characters anymore........ after I unequipped two highwayman belts from my top highwayman. :negative:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MacheteZombie posted:

Cool, did not know this.

Also, I learned the other day that you can't put two of the same trinket on characters anymore........ after I unequipped two highwayman belts from my top highwayman. :negative:

So no double (triple?) mask Lepers?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New update confirmed For the rear end-end of November. Devs hinting at some more balancing and monsters alongside our abominable friend.

I'm digging cage-ghost. He looks really happy to be here.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Looks like the cage ghost has... some heroes trapped inside him? What's that about? Is it really just a new monster, or a boss?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hard to say yet, but it looks like just a leather cape made out of faces. Gross!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Heroes that become Masochistic while fighting cage-ghost will leave the game to join fetlife

Ghost Sex (everything about it)

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

"The Abomination will go live for all our players in November, alongside two new backer-designed enemies – the Madman, and the Collector!"

I'm guessing Cage Ghost is The Collector. Personally I'm hoping they are mini bosses in the same vein as the Shambler.

Iron Chitlin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 13, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I hope they're support type enemies for the other dungeons to bring them more in line with the cove for difficulty

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

...that is supposed to be a hero? Look, I get that not all of Darkest Dungeon's heroes are on the up and up but...really?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I believe the chained, scarred guy in the foreground is a new champion, yes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yes but that guy is the Abomination, we already this. Why is there a ghost with a bunch of people's souls under his mantle in the Hamlet's tavern?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Iron Chitlin posted:

I'm guessing Cage Ghost is The Collector. Personally I'm hoping they are mini bosses in the same vein as the Shambler.

It'd be kind of cool if there was a boss that could give you lost characters back if you beat him. The Collector sounds like a great opportunity. After you lose someone and they go to the graveyard, he can spawn, and if you beat him, you can get someone back from the graveyard. But he's tough, so you might lose more people in the attempt. How much does Dismas mean to you?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yes but that guy is the Abomination, we already this. Why is there a ghost with a bunch of people's souls under his mantle in the Hamlet's tavern?

There isn't?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

...oh. It says "player-designed enemies"
Disregard, I am an idiot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

paradoxGentleman posted:

...oh. It says "player-designed enemies"
Disregard, I am an idiot.

there there

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Lotish posted:

It'd be kind of cool if there was a boss that could give you lost characters back if you beat him. The Collector sounds like a great opportunity. After you lose someone and they go to the graveyard, he can spawn, and if you beat him, you can get someone back from the graveyard. But he's tough, so you might lose more people in the attempt. How much does Dismas mean to you?

That is a fantastic idea, a chance of bringing back the dead for taking on a tough fight would really compliment the risk/reward structure of this game. It would have to be sectioned off by the level of the heroes, wouldn't want to bring back my level 6 Highwayman by fighting a level 1 Collector. Maybe make the chance of getting a character back be pretty low, like 20%-ish? Death should still be something you strive to avoid of course.

I would be thrilled if that was how the Collector worked.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Had my first truly unfair mission in a while. Really unexpected, too, as it was not a boss run or anything; just took a L6 party for a Ruins run while waiting for the level 1-2 party I'm grooming to de-stress and de-sick itself. So leper, two Crusader and a PD go in. First encounter has an enemy crossbow double-crit the PD to an inch of his life while Crusaders miss attacks. It goes decent for about two hallways, then everyone's stress and HP make me camp. Lots of camp skills bring HP and stress back nicely. Then a night attack leaves everyone almost as damaged as before camping, and MUCH more stressed.

I barely make another two hallways before I have to camp again. Recover decently...then another night attack. PD goes insane and starts racking up stress on everyone else and skipping his turns. One Crusader dies, then I flee. Everyone gets diseases -and- bad conditions. I'm probably looking at some 10k+ gold and several weeks before they can work again.

It's how the worm turns, but I understand why some of my friends quit the game early. Before that, my main main unfair run was one in which a 2-day mission was cancelled because the team felt like eating every hallway, so even a full double-sack pf food was not enough after a camp and everyone was starving while i still had two drat thingies to destroy.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you ever use camp to reduce stress instead of build stress resist, you're making a poor decision. With two crusaders you could do unshakable leader twice and stress is no longer a game mechanic.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Camping seems so counter intuitive where it is almost a preemptive Buff Mechanic rather then a Recovery mechanic. Like thematically it is everyone trying to prepare for the terribleness to come rather than heal from the Horrors they have already seen which is not what most people would first assume from something called Camping, since it brings to mind Resting mechanics.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I want to like this game but Ive had two wipes on the first dungeon (restarted campaign after the first).

I am really confused on how its possible to clear the first dungeon. Is there a way to heal between encounters?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you mean the first dungeon as in "stagecoach has crashed", or the first time after you go to the hamlet?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

do you mean the first dungeon as in "stagecoach has crashed", or the first time after you go to the hamlet?

First time after hamlet, 4 person team. I get about 3/4 of the way (I think) through the dungeon and everyone dies (either injury or heart attacks)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're either doing combat badly, you're forgetting to keep your light level at Radiant, or you're just being unlucky. two of these can be fixed!

it is generally better to remove enemy turns than spend your own on healing; whether this is by stunning or killing depends on the circumstances of any given round.

as for your light, you want about a torch per room plus a couple spare, so that's 8 for a small dungeon. i remember getting wrecked by stupidly accurate bandits until i realised that the thing in the top centre of the screen needed attention.

e: testing this, i have just realised the guaranteed Vestal in the first stagecoach batch is not guaranteed to have Dazzling Light, which sucks

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Spose torch per room might do it, I was doing torch every 2 or 3 rooms.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can do that once your guys have some skills, armour, trinkets, or indeed literally anything at all outside of being freshfaced scrubs straight off the stagecoach. low light equals more treasure but also more danger.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

There's definitely a learning curve. The first couple missions don't give you many options in the way of customization, as you don't have much gold or access to upgrades yet, but on the other hand it gives you an idea of the mechanics by locking you into a fairly balanced party.

For the obvious part of the strategy, make sure you have the Crusader in the front, Plague Doctor in the back, and Vestal either in the second or third slot, depending on what abilities she comes with.

You want to just try to burst everything down as fast as possible in the first missions, the Crusader and Highwayman are your primary damage dealers when it comes to that, so focus their attacks and take out the most dangerous (usually the lowest health as well) enemies.

For the Plague Doctor and Vestal, blight up as much as you can reach with the Plague Doctor, and use whatever stuns or debuffs the Vestal comes with. If someone gets down to Death's Door or around 1 HP, pop one of her heals, odds are good she'll come with at least one.

Definitely keep your torch at 75 or higher for the first couple missions, the penalties aren't worth it that early on. Also bring about 8 food for spot healing in between fights and always leaving 4 in case the hunger event triggers, and buy at least a couple bandages, this will trivialize the skeleton's bleeds.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LowellDND posted:

I want to like this game but Ive had two wipes on the first dungeon (restarted campaign after the first).

I am really confused on how its possible to clear the first dungeon. Is there a way to heal between encounters?

Bring more supplies. Each character can eat up to 4 food between encounters, for up to roughly 20% healing after each fight. But you go through food very quickly that way, so you need to bring a lot and ration it carefully (16 is a good amount to take to play it safe for a short mission.) Just remember to save at least 4 food for random hunger events.

Don't forget plenty of torches (about 12 minimum) and shovels (2).

Don't poke at random poo poo in the dungeon unless you have appropriate tools, there's a good chance you'll just spook/injure your guys. Bags are safe to loot but that's about it.

A lot of abilities are pretty niche. Don't try to be fancy, just pick your murderiest attacks for now. Worry about trying to pull off cool tricks later.

Retreat is an option; running from battle works more often than not and you can abort a mission any time you're not in combat.

For that matter, failure is also an option. You have an unlimited supply of meat for the meatgrinder and an unlimited amount of time. If it comes down to it you can willfully send parties of hapless adventurers on unsupplied suicide runs to pick up whatever loot they can, replacing them as they die/go insane. (This should be a last resort, though. In the long run you want to be building a pretty large roster and the easiest way is to build it as you go.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

LowellDND posted:

Spose torch per room might do it, I was doing torch every 2 or 3 rooms.

Yup, that did it. Cleared a small and a medium with no deaths.

Now, how does camping work? Should I focus on any group builds right now, or just getting everyone to level 3? Right now all my town stuff is being spend on the tavern and the wagon.