Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH ADHESIVE. NEVER.

Question though, I keep seeing people upset that you cannot pick X lock or hack Y computer without the requisite perk; is this mainly because they dislike the level restriction? Because FO3/NV was the same IIRC, where you required X lockpicking skill to pick Y lock and without enough skill you couldn't even make the attempt. The perk system is pretty much exactly the same but with level restrictions for the higher perks.

I would not mind a mod which removes those restrictions. Might be slightly unbalanced but hey when has a bethesda game not had big balance issues?

EDIT : Also I have to say I looooooooooove the new power armor system. The customization, the fact that you can control fairly well how rapidly the core drains by controlling which actions you take, the FEEL of the suits compared to normal armor... to me it's a HUGE improvement over FO3/NV and the way power armor was just another type of outfit with bigger model. No change whatsoever in how it felt movement wise, same HUD, etc etc etc.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Add the training perks via the console.

He can also use setav instead of modav. That one works properly.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a place where I can farm for fusion cells?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Brotherhood of Steel / Main Quest spoiler: Went with the Railroad, and one of the final things they have you do is get rid of them from the Commonwealth all together. WEll that involves planting explosives on their giant zepellin thing (pretty cool). I was fine with doing that until I realized that A) you don't give them any time to evacuate and B) THERE ARE CHILDREN ON THAT THING. Nobody brings that up! JEsus Christ!
one of the quests has a 'moral choice' in which you cure a kid and have a really annoying disease for the rest of your character's life or cure yourself and leave the kid to die i'm not sure if they're making fun of themselves at that point

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah I didn't have any trouble at corvega just shooting mans, but I guess I could see it being difficult if you're trying to play a melee character at that point

I ad no trouble with Corvega as a melee character and did it at level 8 or something. The most annoying part is the turrets but you can take those out safely with patience/explosives.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Helping Travis get his confidence is the best thing ever. He could DJ circles around that rear end in a top hat Three Dog.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 14, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Does that mission actually change his VA at all?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Just had my first Sanctuary Invasion, I fast traveled back there to drop off my new Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor and I was greeted by the sounds of gunfire and lasers and a large, angry crowd of Super Mutants were menacing my turrets which I had placed on top of buildings for just such an event, my settlers, all 18 of them, where doing their own thing, which was firing wildly at the mutants.

I'm glad I was still wearing my Power Armor, things could have been worse without it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Any newbies having trouble clearing out the corvega plant, the pipe access is actually one of the easiest ways to tackle the objective because it's a nice bottleneck and you don't face much resistance on entry. There's also a terminal with some backstory in it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

Does that mission actually change his VA at all?

The VA itself doesn't change, but it changes his DJ personality a lot.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, double barreled shotgun. Sawed off, short or long barrel? I mostly use it inside buildings but I think I could like shooting people dead from a bit farther away.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

while in power armor, you sink like a rock in water and of course you can't exit and/or jump while in the water

there's parts in the game where you can get permanently stuck underwater because of these restrictions :laffo:

TorakFade posted:

So, double barreled shotgun. Sawed off, short or long barrel? I mostly use it inside buildings but I think I could like shooting people dead from a bit farther away.
the correct answer is "combat rifle"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gromdul posted:

Is there a way to modify special in the perk screen? I had no idea what I was doing when I rolled my nerd and put 4 points into everything. The player.modav command acts like a buff from armor or drugs, and doesn't add stars to the perk chart. Ideally I'd like to raise some and lower others to maintain a balance. I didn't see special listed on that huge perk chart. I will try your help command after dinner.

Type the following into the console (~) all one word with caps as they are

ShowSPECIALMenu

and press enter.

Note: SAVE BEFORE AND AFTER DOING THIS. It seems buggy as gently caress, sometimes when you press "reset" on your points it doesn't refund them all or it gives you the wrong stats or something.

khy posted:

I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH ADHESIVE. NEVER.

Start farming vegetable starch already. 5 Adhesive each and all it takes is some crops and water which your settlements can produce automatically for you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Does HP gain per level start ramping up at some point? I've been getting single-digit amounts with 3 Endurance but then I see gameplay videos where people are in the 30s and have like 500 HP, and people saying Endurance is kind of useless as a stat, so I don't even know what to think.

Haha that might explain it. I also have 3 END and not even near 500 hp and I'm way past level 30.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha that might explain it. I also have 3 END and not even near 500 hp and I'm way past level 30.
you get all the HP you might have missed by adding a couple points of endurance so you're not really hosed

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

The VA itself doesn't change, but it changes his DJ personality a lot.

So the lovely sad DJ is actually a thing you can fix? That's kinda awesome, because otherwise I was just listening to the DJ and instantly flipping to the classical channel because the DJ was so loving boring.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Start farming vegetable starch already. 5 Adhesive each and all it takes is some crops and water which your settlements can produce automatically for you.

I got a late start on the game so I'm nowhere near as far as you guys are (I had a failing HDD and got a new bigger SSD so I decided this was a good opportunity to wipe my OS drive and start fresh). I've been holding off a bit on settlements because I felt like I would prefer to create a settlement closer to the center of the map instead of the top-left corner. I did the settlement intro in sanctuary hills but I didn't do much more. I had thought it'd be better to do one big permanent settlement I focus on entirely instead of having settlements everywhere around the wastes that I only half-assed.

chaosapiant posted:

So the lovely sad DJ is actually a thing you can fix? That's kinda awesome, because otherwise I was just listening to the DJ and instantly flipping to the classical channel because the DJ was so loving boring.

Ditto. VERY glad to hear I can improve things on that front!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Apparently if one of your pals is in a suit of power armour, a limb can get so damaged that it gets popped off and there's no way to repair it?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Well as much as the main storyline made me HATE CHILD I'm glad in the end he turned out to just want to murder everyone on the surface just like his mother. :allears:

Also gently caress BLIMP.

Crybabies

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Maybe spoiler tag that

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

-MASSIVE SPOILERS-

Thanks idiot

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

khy posted:

I got a late start on the game so I'm nowhere near as far as you guys are (I had a failing HDD and got a new bigger SSD so I decided this was a good opportunity to wipe my OS drive and start fresh). I've been holding off a bit on settlements because I felt like I would prefer to create a settlement closer to the center of the map instead of the top-left corner. I did the settlement intro in sanctuary hills but I didn't do much more. I had thought it'd be better to do one big permanent settlement I focus on entirely instead of having settlements everywhere around the wastes that I only half-assed.

Dude you do not need some massive economy. Literally take all the plants in your inventory and shove them in the ground in sanctuary. Now every time you come back there you'll get like 5 free adhesive. Its that simple lol.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Can you break down mines at all for any pieces? I have some that I never use but keep storing them thinking I'll eventually find a way to get some junk out of them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I liked Corvega, it had multiple ways you could tackle it from multiple entrances and ways you could stealth to terminals to disable/enable bots or take them head on with a buttload of drugs.

My main complaint about Corvega though, is that after spending half a hour clearing out the outside of the place, the raiders on the top despawned before I could loot them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Kea posted:

Thanks idiot

Trust me actually playing through the storyline will be far more disappointing than reading 1/1000th of it on the internet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe a dumb question, but if I go into build mode, point at a settler, and then point and say "do poo poo" at a vegetable in the garden, will the rear end in a top hat only farm that one plant? Or has Bethesda's advanced Radiant Artificial Intelligence System equipped these cats with the ability to farm all the plants in the garden?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No it tells you somewhere in a tooltip how many different plants they will till, defenses they will man, etc.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

Trust me actually playing through the storyline will be far more disappointing than reading 1/1000th of it on the internet.

Luckily if people are careful about spoilers I can decide for myself, either way im about 45 hours in and have barely touched the main questline.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Digital_Jesus posted:

No it tells you somewhere in a tooltip how many different plants they will till, defenses they will man, etc.

But more importantly, they will til all of that amount of plant in the given area or what? I get that Sam the Settler will garden 6 melons if that's what the interface says, but does he do all of them on his own, have to be pointed at each one, or what?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh nooooo someone talked about incredibly vague story details now my gameplay experience is ruined :negative:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but if I go into build mode, point at a settler, and then point and say "do poo poo" at a vegetable in the garden, will the rear end in a top hat only farm that one plant? Or has Bethesda's advanced Radiant Artificial Intelligence System equipped these cats with the ability to farm all the plants in the garden?

They farm enough plants to count for 6 Food. That's 12 plants total except for mutfruit. So one farmer can make enough food for six people, including himself, with you getting extras auto-stored in your Workshop inventory nearby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I actually like him as is.

Hell of a lot more enjoyable than THAREEEEEE DAAAAAAWWWGGG every two minutes.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Oh nooooo someone talked about incredibly vague story details now my gameplay experience is ruined :negative:

Yeah. Pretty much. I don't even want to play this game anymore now that I read what I wrote.

chaosapiant posted:

But more importantly, they will til all of that amount of plant in the given area or what? I get that Sam the Settler will garden 6 melons if that's what the interface says, but does he do all of them on his own, have to be pointed at each one, or what?

No they'll just pick a bunch of stuff equivalent to a production number. 6 I think? They can man up to 6 points of defenses, farm 6 points of food, etc. You don't need to individually tell them to pick one tomato, one melon, and one corn or anything.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speedball posted:

They farm enough plants to count for 6 Food. That's 12 plants total except for mutfruit. So one farmer can make enough food for six people, including himself, with you getting extras auto-stored in your Workshop inventory nearby.

What if I have, say two small gardens that aren't near each other? Will he still process them both? Or is it abstracted in such a way that it doesn't matter how far apart they are?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I guess I accidentally sent Dogmeat back to... somewhere? Now I can't find him, can somebody help?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

JESUS CHRIST IT DOESNT MATTER JUST POINT THE PEASANT AT THE PLANTS

e: also thanks for spoiling the fact that I can make dudes farm plants. Jerk.

Johnny Truant posted:

I guess I accidentally sent Dogmeat back to... somewhere? Now I can't find him, can somebody help?

Just check your settlements with a "1" count on them if you don't have any other followers. Alternatively if you're on that one quest where he does the thing and you do the thing behind him hes got a marker on his head.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 14, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I pass Preston Garvey on a random road and the motherfucker has the audacity to pretend like he never met me before. I saved your stupid castle, rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

What if I have, say two small gardens that aren't near each other? Will he still process them both? Or is it abstracted in such a way that it doesn't matter how far apart they are?

They'll split the difference, I believe. I don't think the plants need to all be in one cluster.

Similarly, a guy assigned to man a Guard Station will travel between it and other guard posts periodically, I think. Trade him a better weapon in case he sees some actual bad guys.

I'm not sure how useful it is to have Spotlights in your settlements. I do know they can alert enemies to you when you're dealing with enemy spotlights, but that's not the same.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Lady Naga posted:

Apparently if one of your pals is in a suit of power armour, a limb can get so damaged that it gets popped off and there's no way to repair it?

It goes into their inventory and you can yank it out and repair it. I did this for Piper on multiple occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OwlFancier posted:

I actually like him as is.

Hell of a lot more enjoyable than THAREEEEEE DAAAAAAWWWGGG every two minutes.

I can tolerate him as he is just knowing there is a quest to fix him, because now I know his lovely delivery is intentional, if that makes sense. If he was supposed to be taken seriously that's just a NO on my part.

• Locked thread