Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Runebound 3rd Edition is out in the US now - have any American goons picked it up?

It isn't out here in the UK until the 22nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Single Tight Female posted:

Thanks for this, I had no idea they were even doing that (although CGE have always been hella cool by me, so I'm not super surprised)

Can't seem to find what was wrong with GT though, and haven't picked it up. What was the deal with that, if you know?

The GT problem is similar to he problem with a few sets of Nethervoid cards. It a few super obvious squares where the color is different, like this https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2749158/rattkin?size=large

Nique
May 18, 2006

Played Hyperborea last night and was pretty underwhelmed.

Other than picking which cube track to develop and selecting technologies I felt like the game almost played itself. We did have a massive runaway leader due to a potential rules failure (yellow race using his 'burn a vp to generate other actions' power freely as opposed to once per reset) which definitely helped to dampen my enthusiasm. Am I missing much? The friend who owns it is a big fan, but right now I don't feel like I'd want to give it a second chance.

Nique fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 13, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Nique posted:

Played Hyperborea last night and was pretty underwhelmed.

Other than picking which cube track to develop and selecting technology I felt like the game almost played itself. We did have a massive runaway leader due to a potential rules failure (yellow race using his 'burn a vp to generate other actions' power freely as opposed to once per reset) which definitely helped to dampened my enthusiasm. Am I missing much? The friend who owns it is a big fan, but right now I don't feel like I'd want to give it a second chance.

Hyperborea is a euro deckbuilder and area control in the guise of an Ameritrash 4X which can put people in the wrong mindset out the gate. I've only played it a handful of times and I think it's definitely not for everyone.

Only once you start picking up a few technologies can you change what you're capable of doing, and you can feel 'locked in' until you get there. Getting too many additional cubes can be a trap - more cubes equals more variance in what you draw, giving you less control over your actions.

Yellow should only be able to burn a VP once per reset, according to recent errata, so that's a big change too. I haven't played with racial powers yet but yellow's ability seems pretty incredible otherwise.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I saw a similar game at the club last night, I couldn't figure out what was going on as there was a big mess of minis, cubes and cards, but the Yellow player basically cycled through all their cubes and had a ridiculous turn generating points and burning them for more actions to generate even more points.

Not sure if it was the same game or if the Yellow race is just OP (like Egypt in Imp Settlers).

Nique
May 18, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

Not sure if it was the same game or if the Yellow race is just OP

If you're in Leeds, then yes! Although it seems like it was played incorrectly in this case

I came in to it expecting a euro-type game so that much wasn't a surprise, I just didn't feel like I had many interesting options during the game. The cube bag gives forces you to optimise your actions, for example timing of developing a technology so as to not have a dead turn from the grey cube it generates, or the general desire to engineer it so you didn't have only 1 or 2 cubes left for drawing. This just felt frustrating to adhere to rather than rewarding for overcoming.

Nique fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 13, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

BB5 has Inns and Cathedrals, Traders and Builders and The River which are the only expansions you need really.

Yeah, I'd just get Box 5 and regift your present since Hills and Sheep is probably the third best expansion, Box 5 is really all you need for Carc IMO

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Zark the Damned posted:

Not sure if it was the same game or if the Yellow race is just OP (like Egypt in Imp Settlers).

This would be a good sign, because around the ~20 play mark we've given the strongest faction award to the Romans, followed by Japanese/Egyptians, followed by Barbarians. Jury is still out on Atlanteans. (Egyptians are far from OP, just very straightforward and extremely resilient to being razed. In fact, razing the Egyptians often helps them and is a big part of the "egypt OP" myth that seems to have circulated for a while when the game first came out but I haven't seen many people believe anymore.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm quite amused to see the Yellows described as the faction with the game breaking racial ability. Up until now, they're the only faction I hadn't seen described as being game breaking.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Possibly it's only game breaking if you ignore the 'once per turn' rule. I think it was a bunch of new players and one experienced guy who played the Yellows.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Yep pretty much, he got an early technology that generated him a vp for a low cube cost as well as having one of his nearby tiles give him a vp too - it didn't take long before he was filling his entire action board and resetting more or less every time it came around to him. Errata'd rule would totally keep it in check.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

People forgetting the "once per turn" rule often leads to interesting things in games.

Imperial Settlers has a one-card infinite VP combo if you forget it, which is how you know it's a rules error.

This is still my favorite wrongly-played-game-report

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Andarel posted:

People forgetting the "once per turn" rule often leads to interesting things in games.

Imperial Settlers has a one-card infinite VP combo if you forget it, which is how you know it's a rules error.

This is still my favorite wrongly-played-game-report

Oh, that changes a lot.
Never Trust anyone explainig a game.
I have to rethink my Strategy.

Edit: almost a haiku. Certainly poetic.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I played Codenames with some people who were very certain about rules that were not in fact in the rulebook (or were in fact toggles).

Well that's the way I learned so that's how I wanna play

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Codenames rulebook has a bunch of toggles, though. I can see that tripping someone up.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I played SET with a guy who was very insistent that certain sets didn't count because they were "2-2" sets and not "3-1" sets, referring to the number of features that were either all the same or all different. I showed him the rule book (which is very simple) and he was like "well fine if you want to play the easy way."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Elysium posted:

I played SET with a guy

You could have stopped right there.

There's a guy in our group who loves both Set and Ricochet Robots. Occasionally he'll have them in his tote when someone new comes along, and that is the only time they ever get played.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The way my group has been doing rule explanation is that I read the rules beforehand and another dude reads it during the explanation. We double team that sucker.
I try best I can to describe the game and hearing rules read aloud help with that. This way we also get some fresh eyes on the rules.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jedit posted:

You could have stopped right there.

There's a guy in our group who loves both Set and Ricochet Robots. Occasionally he'll have them in his tote when someone new comes along, and that is the only time they ever get played.

Someone brought Ricochet Robots to a game group a couple months ago and I think it was the first time I've ever been genuinely, deeply miserable playing a game

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Is there a good game with the word "robots" or "bots" in the title?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

homullus posted:

Botswana

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

homullus posted:

Rock-Em Sock-Em Robots. :colbert:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

homullus posted:

I've heard decent things about "Twin Tin Bots", but haven't had a chance to try it first hand. Supposed to be similar to Ricochet Robots, but less directly combative.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzD3XvqBWRo

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ricochet Robots is good with one minor tweak: if two players find solutions of equal length, the player who has earned fewer points so far takes it. (If they're tied, whoever called it first takes it.) This fixes the only real problem with the game, which is that one good player can shut everyone else out.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 13, 2015

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Ricochet Robots is good with one minor tweak: if two players find solutions of equal length, the player who has earned fewer points so far takes it. (If they're tied, whoever called it first takes it.) This fixes the only real problem with the game, which is that if one good player can shut everyone else out.

I found this out the first time I played as well. Apparently I'm some sort of savant at it, and it felt kinda unfair.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Merauder posted:

I've heard decent things about "Twin Tin Bots", but haven't had a chance to try it first hand. Supposed to be similar to Ricochet Robots, but less directly combative.

I played it a couple times and did not enjoy it at all.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
FLGS had Codenames. A regular there read the rules while I was punching the tiles out and immediately got up and bought the other copy.

Played Favor of the Pharoah, a re-themed and (IMHO) better version of To Court the King. It's basically Yahtzee with the added mechanic of having to roll certain patterns to upgrade your dice pool and dice manipulation powers. There are a ton of different powers available so each game will be different. It was a lot better than I thought it would be and would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a light dice chucking game. I also recommend playing with 3. With 4 I occasionally felt the downtime was a bit long here and there, especially towards the end.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

PerniciousKnid posted:

If the people watching SUSD are mostly the types to constantly buy new games and play them once or twice theoretically in their own head which really means occasionally looking at them while they sit on a shelf and feeling a warm glow about possessing the game then there's no problem.

Yep, that's me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Soothing Vapors posted:

Someone brought Ricochet Robots to a game group a couple months ago and I think it was the first time I've ever been genuinely, deeply miserable playing a game

I played it for the first time a while ago. It's interesting, but man, when one person has played the game for a decade and no one else has, it is not even close to fair.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The one time I played ricochet robots, I dumpstered everyone else, but it wasn't a complete shutout. I got the impression that people didn't find it too bad, but it'd get way worse if there was also a big experience gap between players. I probably wouldn't play it again.

Set isn't terrible as light filler. You deal out your grid of cards and then keep playing until everyone's shown up and you can play your real game. Lol if you care about it enough to argue that some sets "don't count" or whatever.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you make some sets not count then you make it much more likely to encounter collections of twelve cards in which no sets are possible, which makes the game worse.

Also you destroy the cool underlying mathematical structure :spergin:

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I'm surprised at the hostility toward Ricochet Robots. I can appreciate it wouldn't be your cup of tea if you can't stand calculating lots of moves. But I think it's a really well-designed filler game. Short rounds, easy setup/cleanup, any number of people can easily drop out between or even during rounds. High skill ceiling but beginners can still sometimes be the first to solve some of the easier problems, or if not, they get the satisfaction of finding solutions on their own, even if they're a little slower or not the best solutions. You feel like a game god announcing "Mate in 25," and there's a fun social aspect in reviewing the solution afterwards and saying "Oh, I was almost there but I couldn't find *this* move."

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you make some sets not count then you make it much more likely to encounter collections of twelve cards in which no sets are possible, which makes the game worse.

Also you destroy the cool underlying mathematical structure :spergin:

Relevant: http://www.ams.org/samplings/feature-column/fc-2015-08

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Magnetic North posted:

I played it for the first time a while ago. It's interesting, but man, when one person has played the game for a decade and no one else has, it is not even close to fair.

*long pause*
"15."
*hmm how am I gonna beat-*
"13."
*wait wh*
"12. No- 9."
*gently caress*

Hauki
May 11, 2010

This is less relevant, but a ton of people played set when I was in high school, and we ended up having to be super strict about timing in flipping/calling/grabbing because everyone was so in tune with the visual patterns it would be a clusterfuck otherwise. We could still bang through an entire game in less than like three minutes, so each passing period was 2-3 games with plenty of time to make it to your seat at the next classroom. Most of us could recognize within seconds if a given board had no matches.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Glad to report that new Fury of Dracula and new Through the Ages are both genuinely successful improvements on already very good games. Can't recommend them highly enough. FoD is smoothly streamlined and TtA is much more tightly balanced.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wouldn't really rate the original Fury of Dracula very highly. The chasing is cool but the combat was atrocious. Imagine playing Rock Paper Scissors, but being in a situation where even if you guess correctly and beat your opponent, you both roll a dice and you only actually beat him if you roll higher than him. I'm glad FFG got rid of that stupid mechanism in the new printing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The change to combat works really well. Faster and has more or less the same spread of results

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't really rate the original Fury of Dracula very highly. The chasing is cool but the combat was atrocious. Imagine playing Rock Paper Scissors, but being in a situation where even if you guess correctly and beat your opponent, you both roll a dice and you only actually beat him if you roll higher than him. I'm glad FFG got rid of that stupid mechanism in the new printing.

Do you by chance mean the orignal FFG edition? In the 1980s game you rolled for initiative, but you did it before choosing your chit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'll post a bigger report after the con is over, but Kemet is a fabulous game that I absolutely hated. The two problems I had: first, I played badly at the beginning, and basically was screwed out of getting any points at all in the first few turns, and then two people were running away with it without attacking eachother and so I had no shot.

Second, I hate the following mechanic: A public tableau of options from which everyone builds an engine

In Kemet, the power tiles. In, say, Caverna, the buildings. What other games have that? I don't mean "a few things are flipped over each round and build from what you've got available", I don't mean "a market row and stuff is replaced as they're taken", I mean "the entire engine building is right there, every game, exactly the same, and build an engine from it while other people are also building an engine from it and then if you are crap at figuring out a good engine from the entire opportunity set you have no chance".

As I said. I think Kemet is great, but that I would hate playing it until I learned enough about the power tiles to be able to have a good idea exactly which tiles synergized with others, and I'd just rather play other stuff. So uh, two questions. First, what *are* some good combinations that should be built towards? And second, what do I call that mechanic, I want a short one or two word pithy phrase.