Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My name is Phone, not TT's Personal Googler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Modus Man posted:

So it's mostly just that people don't trust that these police departments will be using them in the appropriate circumstances I guess? Or is it that the stingray devices' abilities are too intrusive? Probably both.

*edit- I get what you guys are saying, and I was mostly thinking about it being used legitimately, which is my 1st mistake.
It's also that saying you have nothing to hide is bullshit.

Ignoring the social justice stiff above, the laws of the land consist of millions of pages of the most convoluted crap lawyers can write. You *are* breaking the law, somewhere, somehow, in your daily life. And you not knowing about the laws you are breaking isn't an excuse.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

I thought that was reserved for CRTs, I didn't know some LCD's supported it

Learn something new every day

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's in your video card display drivers. And before you go, "but I use a Mac and", it's in the Display panel.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Patience grasshopper. If you haven't installed windows 7 lately, and it sounds like you haven't, let me lay the lovely news on you: even an SP1-slipstreamed install takes 3+ hours on "checking for updates" the first time around unless you're talking about something with 4+ GB RAM and a fast proc. I'm loading up a Vista-era Dell with 2 GB RAM for a neighbor right now and that part took about 6 hours.

There are just so many drat updates for windows 7 at this point (it was time for SP2 a long time ago, but that's not ever gonna happen now) that windows update, which is already slow and clunky, is drat near useless.

Go download the "it professional" or whatever they call it version of SP1 and install it, then start windows update checking for updates overnight.

It's probably gonna take a couple of days to get everything patched up to date, especially if you put office on it and have WU check for office updates.

Good lord.

The last time I installed W7 was last year-ish. It did take a while, especially having to download the Lenovo W7 drivers that were supposedly specifically made so people could 'downgrade' from 8.1 to 7. And even then it was a couple year old install disk from juuuuuuust about when W7 came out.

It's slowly but surely updating. By tonight I may have a fully functioning laptop again.

I just couldn't warm up to 10 and it seemed to run so much slower than 7.

Appreciate the advice

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Motronic posted:

even an SP1-slipstreamed install takes 3+ hours on "checking for updates" the first time around

IIRC if you're installing from USB, there's a folder you can drop update packages in and they'll also be installed. So maybe just use something like WHDownloader to grab all the updates and drop them in that folder. It'll take a little longer to finish installing, but shouldn't take any time at all to check Windows Update and verify that you're up to date.

e. This seems like a smarter way to do it.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 13, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tide posted:

I just couldn't warm up to 10 and it seemed to run so much slower than 7.

Honestly this was how I felt about 10 at first, but I had upgraded my W7 that had been installed back in 2009 after the official release, and which I had transferred over to a new system board in 2011. I did a clean install last week and so far it's substantially better than 7.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

It's in your video card display drivers. And before you go, "but I use a Mac and", it's in the Display panel.

Where's the turbo button

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Where's the turbo button

Oh man, I miss those. Especially when my desktop had a little LED display showing the CPU speed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

Very well put(down).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tusen Takk posted:

I thought that was reserved for CRTs, I didn't know some LCD's supported it

Learn something new every day

Every TV I've played with over the past few years has had it. On Samsungs and LGs for example it's called 'just scan' in the aspect ratio section of the display menu.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just bought $100 worth of PVC pipe and fittings, looks like I'm building a simulator rig tomorrow. Should be a good weekend.

I need to look at the specs on the gaming/sim PC and see what should be upgraded and watch for black friday deals. It runs iRacing fine but not sure how it will do on newer or more demanding games.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just got round to tidying my desk and fitted 2 additional 24" monitors to my PC to give me 3x24's. My windows desktop is now 5040x1050 and 1.5M wide :)

InitialDave posted:

Yes, I have it streaming from my desktop upstairs to my media PC for my projector.

You're using a wired network, yes?

hmm. Maybe I should try it again! It was a new feature when I last tried it. I was trying it wired. I got a blank screen or steam crashed.

Its approx 3M from my PC upstairs to my projector downstairs. If I could manage to empty a set of shelves I could just lift the floorboard and poke a cable through a hole in the ceiling directly into the projector!...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just spent an hour in a dog-pee covered garage trying to put loaded struts on a 2000 sebring convertable for some idiot that thought a $500 car was a good idea.

I have no idea if the struts are right, the cocksucker before me that took the car half apart lost the bottom bolt for the strut, and after I finally got the car up in the air and the sway bar disconnected so I could get the strut shoved in, I discovered that the struts are like 4" too long, even with me stepping on the hub. And it's supposedly the correct strut. The suspension is a disaster of rust, so pulling the trailing arms to get the bitch even lower is not going to be pretty.

After I explained how much labor is going to have to go into it, and the potential new parts, the daughter offered me sex instead of money.

I got mad, gave up and went home.

Cars are dumb.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I take it she wasn't a looker?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hypnolobster posted:

After I explained how much labor is going to have to go into it, and the potential new parts, the daughter offered me sex instead of money.

.....:catstare:

Who the hell.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I just turned avatars back on and Tussen Takk's is very distracting

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

IIRC if you're installing from USB, there's a folder you can drop update packages in and they'll also be installed. So maybe just use something like WHDownloader to grab all the updates and drop them in that folder. It'll take a little longer to finish installing, but shouldn't take any time at all to check Windows Update and verify that you're up to date.

e. This seems like a smarter way to do it.

I haven't done that recently because I keep swearing that this is the last loving time I'll ever be installing Windows 7.

Hasn't worked out so far. I should just make a proper installer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just bought $100 worth of PVC pipe and fittings, looks like I'm building a simulator rig tomorrow. Should be a good weekend.

I need to look at the specs on the gaming/sim PC and see what should be upgraded and watch for black friday deals. It runs iRacing fine but not sure how it will do on newer or more demanding games.

I modified plans I found on the net and made this for my boy a few years ago. It works great, super stable. I went a little silly and ground off all of the markings on the elbows and gave it a nice coat of plasticoat. Also, skateboard tape around some of the wear-points. It's held up really well and the MR2 seat makes it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Valve cover gasket: RTV or not? I've got the Mazda running again but I just used the old gasket to verify it would even start, now it's time to put on the fresh one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

Valve cover gasket: RTV or not? I've got the Mazda running again but I just used the old gasket to verify it would even start, now it's time to put on the fresh one.

If it's a rubber gasket, typically it only calls for dabs of RTV in machined corners that the rubber would have a hard time filling, ie where the cam end caps meet the rest of the valve cover.

(this is a Protege with the FS motor, which may or may not have anything to do with yours; i don't know what car you've got)

Can't see it actively hurting to use it elsewhere, but it's not necessary. Unless someone else knows better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I use Hylomar, poo poo is awesome.

Also gently caress every manual transmission where you have to fill it through the speedo gear hole, I just spent WAY too much time trying to get the loving speedo gear out changing the gear oil jesus H christ.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Lol they give you tests? Like what do you have to do?

When i was in we never got tested once we were out of basic.

Every six months. Pushups, sit ups and cardio (1.5 mile run, or bike/elliptical).

That's the navy at least. Every service has some variation though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

I modified plans I found on the net and made this for my boy a few years ago. It works great, super stable. I went a little silly and ground off all of the markings on the elbows and gave it a nice coat of plasticoat. Also, skateboard tape around some of the wear-points. It's held up really well and the MR2 seat makes it.

That looks pretty similar to the plans I'm going off of - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/eddys-pvc-rig-from-start-to-finish-inspired-by-simul8r-now-with-insturctions.138156/ I'm going to change it a bit so I can mount monitors directly to it but I think it should work good. Talked my brother into helping and bringing the truck so I don't have to haul 10' PVC with the VW.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

That looks pretty similar to the plans I'm going off of - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/eddys-pvc-rig-from-start-to-finish-inspired-by-simul8r-now-with-insturctions.138156/ I'm going to change it a bit so I can mount monitors directly to it but I think it should work good. Talked my brother into helping and bringing the truck so I don't have to haul 10' PVC with the VW.

Yep, those are the exact plans I started from. Post some pics of your build!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
HOLY DIVAH :regd10:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Safety Dance posted:

What's the good word?

To hell with Georgia!

(Hopefully we play up to their level as usual but jfc this season...)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hypnolobster posted:

Could be worse, could've had a service writer bill at a blowjob for something that's clearly a three-way's worth of labour, possibly even some back door action.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

SuperDucky posted:

To hell with Georgia!

(Hopefully we play up to their level as usual but jfc this season...)

FSU game aside, this year has been a dumpster fire. Nobody can block for poo poo.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

I'm actually going through a minor upgrade myself (why yes i bought fallout why do you ask)

My current rig, which I acquired from the friend-of-family video business when they replaced their stuff:

EVGA X58 mobo
i7-920 processor
12GB ram (6x2GB, it's hilarious when there's 16GB sticks out there now)
Radeon HD 5750 (from my old computer, it came with dual NVIDIA something-or-others in SLI, which were worse than the AMD performance-wise and would heat my room up a full 10 degrees over a few hours)
Corsair TX850W power supply

Fallout 4 stutters and tears at like 20fps on minimum settings, I'm thinking a new GPU is the best single thing I can upgrade. Thoughts?

100% correct, your GPU is your bottleneck. Acquire a GTX970 or similar, enjoy hella performance. Also if you're still rolling without an SSD, pick one up, they're rad and you can still use the spinning drive to store your steam games.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

I'm actually going through a minor upgrade myself (why yes i bought fallout why do you ask)

My current rig, which I acquired from the friend-of-family video business when they replaced their stuff:

EVGA X58 mobo
i7-920 processor
12GB ram (6x2GB, it's hilarious when there's 16GB sticks out there now)
Radeon HD 5750 (from my old computer, it came with dual NVIDIA something-or-others in SLI, which were worse than the AMD performance-wise and would heat my room up a full 10 degrees over a few hours)
Corsair TX850W power supply

Fallout 4 stutters and tears at like 20fps on minimum settings, I'm thinking a new GPU is the best single thing I can upgrade. Thoughts?

My CPU is a bit faster than yours (i5-2400) and I've got 16GB RAM (it was cheap as gently caress). About a year ago I upgraded from an HD5770 to an R9 280. FO4 autoselected "ultra" for my 1080p monitor and it is smooooooth.

Seconding literally a fish's remarks. GPU first, SSD second if you don't have one because holy gently caress is flash so much nicer than spinning disk. Worst case if it's not enough, the GPU and SSD would work well in a current-gen i5 build too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd also suggest a new power supply if the current one is as aged as the rest of the hardware. I've seen a new power supply make a not-insignificant increase in framerate with no other changes being made to the system.

Once the rails start to go they can't supply stable power, and this is exacerbated if the CPU or GPU is running near peak - which your HD5800 series card certainly is.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 14, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I already pulled the trigger on a 960 earlier today (I looked at a 970 but it was $280 vs $150 for the 960, too good a bargain to pass up).

And yeah I've raved about the SSD in my laptop in here, that's happening as soon as I get my next installment of financial aid for school. Even if it's just big enough for the OS and a couple programs, that'll do me just fine.

Then swap out the ram for something beefier (6x4GB, double the fun? :v:), then new mobo/chip, new PSU at some point... i will computer of theseus this motherfucker.

E: Hmm, might get a new power supply along with the SSD when that time comes then. Hopefully a new, more capable card will put less strain on the current one for the next couple months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The last PC I built had a smaller HDD than the ram you guys are talking about. My little brother just bought an Xbox to play FO4, I pity his fiancee.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

"Charlie était un symbole. Là, c'est une guerre."

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the French get really pissed. :munch:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

"Charlie était un symbole. Là, c'est une guerre."

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the French get really pissed. :munch:

"Une France qui est plein de gens bruns est une France nous ne pouvons tolérer" - Marine Le Pen, probably

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
#prayforparis

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
yo corn come chill in byob its chill a f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Holy poo poo. I just saw the news on Paris. I've been out and about and haven't really checked the Internet all day.

I know there's been a lot of computer chat lately. If you're thinking about upgrading, wait until the week of Black Friday. Newegg should have some good deals.

• Locked thread