Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

So, back there on the planet, there's still a surviving Comstar lady who can corroborate Carlos' statements and battle ROMs proving that the capellans are the ones that attacked and destroyed the HPG and murdered all their staff. So, if Carlos and that lady get rescued by Comstar, presumably all hell breaks loose as Space AT&T goes apeshit against the Capellans. That's an obvious and immediately sensible outcome that I suppose Duncan Marik would benefit from.

What are the other options like? Amaris is the batshit guy, right? Someone remind me what's the deal with Hanse Davion. And also I sorta forget what all has happened with the Corsairs.

...reading a story one chapter every two months for five years or whatever makes it really hard to remember what's going on.

Space AT&T already is going apeshit. Every HPG in the Capellan Confederation is being disabled right now and the only reason Comstar isn't going into open warfare with them is because they know New Syrtis and the League will do it for them.

I'm not sure that Comstar has much help to offer. Their on-world assets are committing suicide to erect the largest possible middle finger for CapCon and everything nearby is busy enacting the interdiction.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keep in mind that as GhostStalker posted, the Red Corsair crew are in posession of Star League tech. They're probably not going to be running gimmicks like Wrasslin Randy and company. (They're also not real pirates, as I pointed out in my post.)

They should still be good fun, but not the same style fight as the Burning Irritation of Butte Hold.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I really wanted to go with the joke Clan option, but honestly who wouldn't go to the pirates for help at this point?

I'll vote C: lets get the Red Corsair to assist with this extraction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah FractionJackson has some great points but purely from a "what do I want to see in the next mission" standpoint, I think C: The Red Corsairs wins by a mile.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

dis astranagant posted:

Their on-world assets are committing suicide to erect the largest possible middle finger for CapCon

The mental imagery I get after reading this line actually makes me laugh. I'm just picturing guys self destructing while a monolithic middle finger bursts out of the ground

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Anyone can tell you that having ComStar on your side is the best option. Always.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I vote for the Red Corsair. It's simply the most interesting choice, although steamrolling through the Capellans as the Clans would be fun to see.

Ice Fist posted:

The mental imagery I get after reading this line actually makes me laugh. I'm just picturing guys self destructing while a monolithic middle finger bursts out of the ground

I'm imagining something more like this:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 14, 2015

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e; double post

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
10 Megatons in a city - even if it's waaaay underground - is a sizeable gently caress you. That's a good sized chunk of planetary real estate that now has a massive fallout problem.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah FractionJackson has some great points but purely from a "what do I want to see in the next mission" standpoint, I think C: The Red Corsairs wins by a mile.

They are probably a lot more stylish, to be fair. And probably the next best option. If C wins I'll be pretty excited to see how that plays out and pretty happy with it, I think.

I just think that in the grand strategy perspective, getting the DS into this part of the war might do the most for the FWL as well as the DS. Plus, I'll also be interested to see what kinds of things this timeline's Cappies cook up when they're under siege from all sides and get really desperate.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Davion! It's going to end up getting Duncan and the FWL involved in the Clan War on Davion's side, and that's what we want! :)

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
I want to bid C for the Pirate thing because and the best way to make things cwazy is to have as many different allegiances of guns at the party as possible (and ComStar are already in this fight).

Fraction Jackson posted:

Duncan's quandary - he needs a solution that recovers Carlos alive without sacrificing millions of his people and their homes to the Capellans.
The point is well made however I don't think the Capellans have done enough (in this canon) to be the best villains they can be. Don't let their dreams be dreams! Get in your dropships and reach for the stars! And by "stars" I mean civilians. And by "get in your dropships" I mean "get in your dropships".

You can't ever have a "my Home Planet" speech if no-one ever loses their home planet. Let's plant some narrative seeds!

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Gonna hafta vote for C.

When you need to do something dramatic and flashy, always bet on the dashing rogues (even if they're fake).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

goatface posted:

10 Megatons in a city - even if it's waaaay underground - is a sizeable gently caress you. That's a good sized chunk of planetary real estate that now has a massive fallout problem.

If there's one thing Comstar fears more than anything else, it's the unwashed masses getting their hands on HPG technology. 10 megatons should be more than enough to completely erase any trace of an HPG ever being on the planet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

E)

Hanse is busy with the Clans and will not want to start a second front war with Liao. Comstar will do whatever Comstar will do, but the given the Capellans actions they presumably already have a plan for Comstar. Red Corsair is probably the best option, which is why it is boring. Not Amaris. What the Clans ask for will be interesting, as will their reaction when they go hunting for boy Marik and they come across the Capellan Power Ranger experimental squad. Remember it's based on Clan tech that got stolen.

Fundamentally this is an extremely dangerous suicide mission against dishonorable people the Clans have a reason to have a grudge against in order to prevent a greater war that would engulf dozens of planets. It's a trueborn's wet dream.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Alchenar posted:

E)

Hanse is busy with the Clans and will not want to start a second front war with Liao. Comstar will do whatever Comstar will do, but the given the Capellans actions they presumably already have a plan for Comstar. Red Corsair is probably the best option, which is why it is boring. Not Amaris. What the Clans ask for will be interesting, as will their reaction when they go hunting for boy Marik and they come across the Capellan Power Ranger experimental squad. Remember it's based on Clan tech that got stolen.

Fundamentally this is an extremely dangerous suicide mission against dishonorable people the Clans have a reason to have a grudge against in order to prevent a greater war that would engulf dozens of planets. It's a trueborn's wet dream.

You make a good point, actually. I change my vote to E) The Clans.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

THINK OF THE GLORY!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

C) Red Corsair

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Red Corsair

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bloody Pom posted:

PTN doesn't historically allow vote changes, it would make it a pain in the rear end to keep track of who voted for what.

Also, voting for Red Corsair

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

A. Comstar is the logical choice.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
E:The Clans

Hastur, Hastur...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

C. The Red Corsair and the FWL have established... A mutual benign indifference a while back, makes sense Marik would turn to them.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
C

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
E The Clans, because who are you going to call when you need your son rescued from enemy territory? The A-Team? No, you call the goddamn people that are invading your galaxy right now.

Would have voted for Amaris (because come on - he clearly has the coolest mechs), but it has no chance of winning.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

C), who doesn't want see more high flying adventures with giant mechanized pirates? No one, that's who!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

E The Clans holy poo poo this would be the most hilarious poo poo. Do it. loving do it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paving the way for the Ghost Bear League.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
We need more pirates in order to combat the nuclear winter that Comstar has started. Imagine how a Pirates vs Power Rangers mission will look.

C Red Corsair

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm not sure that Comstar has much help to offer. Their on-world assets are committing suicide to erect the largest possible middle finger for CapCon and everything nearby is busy enacting the interdiction.

Ice Fist posted:

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm imagining something more like this:

Exactly what I thought was this was mentioned.

And as I said last page and Zaodai did here:

Zaodai posted:

Keep in mind that as GhostStalker posted, the Red Corsair crew are in posession of Star League tech. They're probably not going to be running gimmicks like Wrasslin Randy and company. (They're also not real pirates, as I pointed out in my post.)

They should still be good fun, but not the same style fight as the Burning Irritation of Butte Hold.
remember that the Red Corsair is actually Melissa Steiner in disguise and Morgan Kell plus what remains of one battalion of the Kell Hounds and Team Banzai, in Royal variant Battlemechs they recovered from a Castle Brian on Helm where Duncan ran into them last, with ComStar trying to screw the pooch at the same time to prevent them from recovering it. This isn't going to be like the jury-rigged Piratemechs like we had before in that one mission, as amusing as that was. It's more competent people in powerful mechs instead, which is good in it own way. Besides, Duncan and the Corsair have a history together already here in the PTN-verse. It would be great to see more of it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Destroy the bloc powers until the only people with mechs are the rag-tag groups of pirates and mercenaries who meet around Solaris to drink and gamble when they're not out fighting each other to protect/plunder worlds who've scraped together some meagre riches.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

TildeATH posted:

We need more pirates in order to combat the nuclear winter that Comstar has started. Imagine how a Pirates vs Power Rangers mission will look.

C Red Corsair

So you're saying we could get pirate power rangers if the Corsair and co. can steal some mech parts, right?
Right?

C

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gonna vote for c, although I gotta ask, was that update implying that comstar set off the nuke under the HPG, or just that they had the capability?

Sair
May 11, 2007

Getting involved with Comstar at this point seems like a poor idea.

C Red Corsair

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

Gonna vote for c, although I gotta ask, was that update implying that comstar set off the nuke under the HPG, or just that they had the capability?

No implying, it straight up said it. The HPG network is the only leg Comstar has to stand on and they will destroy it rather than let any one else so much as think they might start their own.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

gently caress-off big fusion bombs are most definitely in play.

edit - Or reasonably small AM conversion devices. Which would be terrifying in a completely different way.

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 14, 2015

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Alchenar posted:

E)

Jumping on this bandwagon E

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Red Corsair. Let's set the stage for a long term alliance between the FWL and the Steiners.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

C - Red Corsair

I wanna see Morgan Kell back in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I'm voting D despite the Corsair bandwagon. Duncan's clearly concerned that a strike into Capellan territory results in losing multiple worlds. If he calls on the Corsair to help, that doesn't help his overall military situation, it just potentially gets him his son back.

He's one of the few people in the Inner Sphere to know enough about the Clans to guess that asking them for help isn't going to be useful as it's a display of weakness. Comstar may well help, but they'll do whatever they do anyway and they're as likely to use his son as leverage against him as to rescue him.

The Corsair is the objectively wisest choice, I think, but that's not the FWL I've read about in this thread.

So instead, Duncan should do something that appears subjectively brilliant but which will turn around and bite him horribly in the rear end later. Use Davion's respect for family to draw him into an expedition into Capellan space that may set off a war, which conveniently distracts the Capellans from the FWL and weakens Davion at the same time. Masterstroke! Not that it'll turn out that way in any respect at all; it's a terrible idea.

• Locked thread