Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
We do need a much stricter time limit, though; I would suggest 12 hours for every pick. Or a 24 hour limit for the first three rounds and then a 6 hour limit for the last two, if we do go with five rounds.

Add the draft, previews, posting rosters, etc, and a 36 day draft leads to a 50 day offseason. Start the draft after the Macho Man challenge, and more strictly time the picks and the offseason will take maybe 40 days and not involve the draft being at a complete stand still most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The full offseason is a longish time and much of it is determined by draft length. If Smasher needs time, we could always just go on hiatus for a bit.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

We do need a much stricter time limit, though; I would suggest 12 hours for every pick. Or a 24 hour limit for the first three rounds and then a 6 hour limit for the last two, if we do go with five rounds.

Add the draft, previews, posting rosters, etc, and a 36 day draft leads to a 50 day offseason. Start the draft after the Macho Man challenge, and more strictly time the picks and the offseason will take maybe 40 days and not involve the draft being at a complete stand still most of the time.

Yeah, I mean anybody getting skipped can jump in at any time, but having to wait an extended period to get through people who aren't paying attention just to get one contributing post is going to kill interest.

Maybe we should look into staggering the Super, Sub-Par and Expansion Cup to extend Smasher's offseason instead of alternating completely dead periods and a blitz of 3 leagues going at once?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I admit it's for selfish reasons but I would like the fifth round of the draft back.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

oldskool posted:

Yeah, I mean anybody getting skipped can jump in at any time, but having to wait an extended period to get through people who aren't paying attention just to get one contributing post is going to kill interest.

Maybe we should look into staggering the Super, Sub-Par and Expansion Cup to extend Smasher's offseason instead of alternating completely dead periods and a blitz of 3 leagues going at once?
The problem is that you need the subpar/SL to run largely concurrently because that's how you determine what comprises the draft. The EC might stand to be run a little later in the season so maybe just as the EC ends you go right into the draft, but I'm not sure that materially changes the length of the offseason. Also I'm sure McFreeze would appreciate the break as well. I don't bang out the recaps like Smasher does and even writing two thousand words every 48 hours is pretty draining.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What if we had a little side project like cbx' franchise challenge? I could whip something together that would buy folks a couple weeks of rest, and work is calm enough now I think I could fit it into December or early January.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FairGame posted:

What if we had a little side project like cbx' franchise challenge? I could whip something together that would buy folks a couple weeks of rest, and work is calm enough now I think I could fit it into December or early January.

That's what we figured the revival of the Super Premiership that was previously mentioned could be.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Here's the thing: last offseason we went into the draft with Smasher going "take a long time please, I don't want to think about the SL for as long as possible" and then by the end of the draft Smasher was saying "hurry up so we can start next season". So why don't we just keep the fifth round, make the time limits shorter, and then if we need to pad it then someone can run that SuperChallenge that we submitted rosters for last offseason and have yet to actually see results from.

For time limits, I propose 1 day for rounds 1-2, 12 hours for rounds 3-4, and 6 hours for round 5. That maxes out at over a month.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I am in favor of any solution that does not involve the 5th round, which is terrible.

I've participated in 7 Dispersal Drafts and I haven't yet seen one that did not drag on and on until everyone was begging for it to end, so I don't see the problem here.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 14, 2015

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
We could buy time by adding brief thrilling participant Let's plays. I volunteer to post and update of some crappy game from my steam library.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Pash posted:

We could buy time by adding brief thrilling participant Let's plays. I volunteer to post and update of some crappy game from my steam library.

lets do a crusader kings 2 lp, i hear the lp forum eats that poo poo up

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Hope's Peak in 4, 5-1

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I haven't played CK2 since I bought the way of life DLC, but that game rules. The last time I played I managed to get my nephew in line as the prince of France but then my dumb rear end in a top hat sister threw him in a sinkhole to close the gates to hell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Pick the winner, number of games, and final score of the last game
The Gay Agenda @ Hope's Peak Despair in 6, 5-2.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Pick them!

Despair in 5, 4-2

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ice To Meet You posted:

Hello. I don't know what you're looking for! If it's a real second baseman, I have this Chase Utley, but he's pretty young. Also this Joe Morgan, but he would cost more.
Maybe you want something else? Pitchers? First basemen? I have extras of those.
Or, I could just sell you draft picks. I don't know.

Utley :swoon:

Have a link to your roster? Draft picks are always cool

Pick 'em: The Most Electrifying, Incredible, Death-Defying, Rootin'-Tootin, Biggest And Best Fantasy-Sports-Entertainment Event Of All Time: Sub-Par Bowl V
(approximately 45 hours from now

Pick the winner, number of games, and final score of the last game
The Gay Agenda @ Hope's Peak Despair in 6, 4-3

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

CraigK posted:

I guess I could load up the game where I, as the Norse Empire, have been on a rampage destroying Christianity and and now slowly eating whats left of England, France, and Germany... That game can really snowball...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CraigK posted:

The Centralia Mines draft Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye from the 867 AD Norsemen team.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Natural Twenties are willing to trade Irish and English ducal titles for Zoroastrian vassals, gonna try summoning the Saoshyant for shits and giggles.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Listen, guys, I'm dying on my feet with regards to the Super-League.

I'm willing to at least entertain the idea of bringing back the fifth round, just because I need the time. I know that you guys don't like how long the offseason is, but I need at least a month.

how about Take A Fuckin Break U Dingus, You Are Absurd And We Love You And You More Than Deserve A Few Freebie Weeks Off (a children's storybook by monicro, coming June 2016)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Oh yeah, the Gay Agenda and Hope's Peak should make sure they have their interleague rosters set!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Can't remember if I do, but for the record, here's what the lineups should be looking like:

code:
with DH:

CF	Cool Papa Bell
3B	Frankie Frisch
LF	Joe Jackson
DH	Ted Williams
RF	Paul Waner
2B	Nap Lajoie
SS	Derek Jeter
1B	Jack Fournier
C	Buster Posey

without DH:

CF	Cool Papa Bell
3B	Frankie Frisch
LF	Joe Jackson
1B	Ted Williams
RF	Paul Waner
2B	Nap Lajoie
SS	Derek Jeter
C	Buster Posey
P	Pitcher

Bench:

C	Ray Schalk
OF	Kenny Lofton
UT	1956 Harvey Kuenn
UT	1965 Harvey Kuenn
UT	Mark Grudzielanek
(1B	Jack Fournier)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Okay, end of the season, time to give the people the sort of update they deserve. Let's just take a look at the games and....gently caress.

Okay, time for Plan B.

'Smasher Dynamo" posted:

Dear Hollywood Dynamo,

Enclosed is a Dynamo League Championship Series that I think has the potential to be a good story, or, realistically, I'm obligated to turn into a story, but just doesn't have the dramatic tension that I'd like to see, or that I think my readers will enjoy.

I would appreciate it if you could apply your patented Hollywood magic to this series and try and make something of it. Normally, I would be all for integrity and whatnot, but I'm looking at these box scores, and am willing to settle for whatever that you're able to make of it.

Thanks,

Smasher Dynamo

Hollywood Dynamo posted:

I won't lie, this isn't going to be easy. Usually, when I need to turn a story into a forgettable Hollywood screenplay, I get a good story that I have to dumb down and genercize for mass consumption. In this case, it's not really a story so much as some stuff that happened. It'd be nice if you could do a story about nothing, either Seinfeld or Waiting for Godot depending on how funny it is, but you're not giving me a story about nothing, you're just giving me a very bad story. It's different. And not in the good way.

But I'm up for the challenge.

Characters

Okay, the first thing we need to do is give audiences a clear hero and a clear villain. All of this anti-hero poo poo is really just bullshit. The average person isn't smart enough to handle moral ambiguity in any real sophisticated way, and so an anti-hero, to him, is just a hero who gets to do more cool poo poo. But he's still the guy the audience is going to root for unreservedly. It's just basic human psychology.

And people like to root for winners, that much is for sure. Down endings are a great way to lose poo poo-tons of money. Do you think that Blade Runner would have made money if they had used the original ending? Or that people would have accepted Total Recall if the last three-quarters of the movie were a dream? No, people want to see the hero win. So, clearly, the hero in this movie is going to have to be DannoMack, which makes the villain Beet by the process of elimination.

Of course, we've got problems with that. For one, DannoMack is a Canadian if I'm reading this right, and he might be the sort of Canadian that we can't just pretend is American. That's no good. American audiences don't want to root for someone from America, Jr. And International audiences either don't know what the gently caress a Canada is, or else they do know, and are going to demand a refund when they find out that they've been wasting their time on a story with a Canadian hero. It would be bad. Remember Scott Pilgrim? That was a story with as Canadian a hero as could be, and look what happened? No one went to see it. It was a disaster. A loving disaster. And I don't want this thing to be a disaster. I mean, did you see the movie? You can't tell me that after you were done watching that movie, that you didn't want to see every character die in a fire.

Now, from what I can tell from the materials you've sent me, there's really no getting around a certain level of Canadianness with the RCMP. They're named is Canadian as it can possibly be, their stadium is in Canada, and they're also playing, and they're going to win, the Canadian Championship. That's a lot of Canada right there, and I don't know that we can just junk it. My suggestion is that we downplay it, though. First of all, no explaining what 'RCMP' stands for. No one in America knows what it stands for, so let's just not draw attention to it. Also, let's try and show the RCMP's logo as little as possible. You know, downplay it. I think audiences will really appreciate that, because no one likes a Canadian that gets all up in your face with his Canadianness. Sitting with his jean jacket, drinking his can of Molson, telling you about Tim Horton's. A smirk on his face, telling you about how Trudeaumania proves that Canada can learn from its mistakes. No one wants to deal with that.

As for the villain, from what I've got, there are a couple of ways we could play Beet. Obviously, the team name the 'Sindhi Sheikhs', that sounds kind of terroristy, in that your general audience isn't going to get bogged down in technicalities. It if sounds like it's from the Middle East or thereabouts, they're against it. That's just how people think. So, we could just make Beet some sort of foreign terrorist.

On the other hand, it's my impression that Beet is the defending champion, and you might have people asking why a terrorist was the champion of the Super-League, and that might be bad. So, I don't think we play that up. Instead, he's this aloof, uncaring champion who is the Goliath to the RCMP's David. The foreign-sounding name just adds to the level of detachment that Beet has from the general public. I think you play into the idea that he doesn't care about the people or the league anymore. He has all of the talent and ability that DannoMack had to work so hard for, but doesn't appreciate it. He's not a Marauder-type, he's not going to twirl his mustache, he just doesn't care.

Of course, that does lead us to a problem. It seems that, in the previous round, DannoMack, and I think I'm reading this right, he poisoned the star player of the other team. Not the most heroic thing I've ever heard of. Obviously, that adds a level of moral complexity that has no place in mass-marketed storytelling. How the hell is your average housewife from Peoria supposed to understand that the guy she's rooting for now did something that bad in the recent past? A lot of people will say that you shouldn't underestimate your audience. I don't think that's possible. No one wants to read or watch something that makes them feel dumb. Think about Inception. That's a movie that people like to hold up as being confusing. It is not. Basically every twist is patiently explained, as is the mechanism of how it works. But that is the absolute outer edge of what a mass audience can tolerate. They cannot handle the idea that DannoMack, the heroic underdog in this story, once poisoned The Masked Shortstop to get to this fight against Beet. So, we're going to leave that on the cutting room floor.

Supporting characters are important, of course. You only have two important characters, that's only two action figures you have to sell. That's no way to make money. You need a few more than that. Obviously, the MACHINE would be a great action figure, even though, from the description you sent me, it might be a bit hard to make one of. Too many limbs, and in too weird a configuration. For a robot, you want something that looks cute, or looks tough, or looks human. The MACHINE doesn't seem to be any of those. It seems to be entirely alien. That's not what the kids want. They want a robot that looks like it could rip apart their other action figures, not one that is unfamiliar on an existential level. The MACHINE just isn't appealing to kids. I think it probably scares the poo poo out of them, because it's like this mechanical insect that doesn't sound cute when it talks, and is frightenly fast and skitters around. That's something to think about. It'd be great for a horror movie, but I'm not sure how well it fits here.

While we're at it, I did want to talk about how the notes I have don't seem to have any provision for a sexy girl character. In my experience, there is not a script alive that can't be improved with a sexy girl character. For example, does Black Widow add anything to the Avengers? Not really, but damned if they don't keep trying, because if she's on the team, they get to have a woman in a tight catsuit on the screen, and also when people complain that the Avengers are some sort of boy's club, they can go, 'no, wait, we've got one woman'. I think we need to do something about that. I don't really care how. I'm hearing a lot of good press about Chelsea Baker, about how she's really knocking 'em dead.

Okay, let's talk about the plot. The plot you've provided to me sucks. It's terrible, it's bad, no one's going to like it. DannoMack is the massive underdog, and what does he do? He wins four straight games, wins the series easily, and that's that. There's a reason that most movie plots are formulaic, and that's because the formula works. Challenging your audience only works if your audience has a PhD in comparative literature. I'm guessing that's not the case in the Super-League. The point is that DannoMack doesn't seem like an underdog. If I'm reading this right, he went through the top two teams in the Dynamo League, winning seven times, and losing all of once. That's not really much of an underdog story. That's not the story of a guy who rose up from the gutter and slowly, through hard work and determination, defeated the favorites and became champion. It sounds like a guy who just won. And there's no hook to that story. That's just life. People don't see movies about real life, they don't read books about real life. They don't need to, they live it. Your average loser has been beaten down by the unfairness of the universe, he wants to spend his free time watching a fictional universe where the underdog is something other than a pathetic loser who will never be happy. If your average person was confronted with the realities of their life, I don't think they could take it.

I'm looking at the actual box scores, and these are not exciting contests. You're talking about a series where, for the first 35 innings of a 36 inning series, the Sheikhs never had more than two runs on the board. There are maybe two or three times in this entire series where the RCMP are in any danger of losing even one game, and it's hard to see any point where it really looks like they have a chance in hell of losing this series. These are not exactly scrappy underdogs, they're an efficient team of winners. No one likes a team like that. Have you seen the ratings for playoffs games involving the San Antonio Spurs? They're terrible, just terrible. Your hero has to be rough around the edges, relatable, he can't just be some Canadian rear end in a top hat who managed to trade his way into a good team that beat up other good teams. I don't think the world is ready to crown Marauder-lite as a champion of the people, is what I'm saying.

You've told me that there's not a lot you can do about what the games in the series are like. Fine, I guess that there's only so much you can do before 'based on a true story' becomes 'total lies', but I don't know how you'd turn four straight wins into a dramatic storyarc. Like, that's the sort of thing you'd typically gloss over in a montage. For example, you would want a turning point in this series. Here's the thing, the RCMP took a lead in the first inning of the first game, and from that point on, they were in control. There was never a change in that.

Anyway, I've done what I can, here's a synopsis of the best plot I could make out of this mess:

Plot Synopsis

Plucky young hero DannoMack has been told all of his life that he's not good enough. That he's not smart enough. That he's never going to the top. And, for a lot of his life, he believed them, unable to believe in himself.

Then, one day, a plucky female character comes and is able to rose DannoMack from the depths of his depression, and encourages to start building the RCMP. DannoMack, not having the same kind of resources that the other big teams have, is forced to use his cunning and wits to acquire enough talent for his team to succeed. (Note: As far as I know, DannoMack ripped off mainly loser teams, so, we'll need to probably gloss over just who he was getting these players from.)

It's a hard road, but DannoMack and the RCMP keep at it, and slowly begin to build momentum, even winning the Canadian Championship. But the Sheikhs, the cruelest team of all, are able to crush the RCMP in a series during the regular season, taking their championship, and knocking the RCMP into second place. (Note: I don't think the Sheikhs won the title right from the RCMP, but given that they somehow dropped the title to the Whalers, of all teams, fiction beats reality). It's a hard blow for the team to take, and DannoMack struggles to regain his confidence, but is encouraging by his plucky female sidekick to keep going. They do keep going, and, after a lot of hardwork, find themselves in the wildcard game, where they beat some stupid kid.

Then, they face the Kernels, and they somehow eke out a win, through hustle and grit, and determiniation and all that. As for the Sheikhs' series, I see that as one long big scene, it's about the final triumph. If we structure the plot right, the RCMP against the Sheikhs is basically the end of Rocky II, the Sheikhs were tough and good, but the RCMP just have too much heart, and wear them down, and ultimately become the Dynamo League Champions.

And then, for a sequel hook, you have either Pander or gingemidget show up and say that the RCMP may have beaten the Sheikhs, but they're out of their league now. That way, people are already invested in the sequel.

There probably should be a love interest for DannoMack, but, let's be honest, the audience's suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

Now, for the ending, you've told me that you don't know who you want the villain in the proposed sequel to be. I understand we've got a couple of choices. On the one hand, you've got some sort of British Satanist, who is willing to maim people and sacrifice him to his dark gods. That's not bad, I think that's evil enough that the general public is willing to go for it, but I do have concerns on whether or not we can use this guy without having to get an R rating. You said that he's crucifying people on rakes? That sounds like a R-rating right there. For that matter, you just know that there are going to be all sorts of Christian groups protesting about that, and they can be a pain. I'm not saying we can't use this gingemidget kid, I'm just saying it's going to be tough.

As for the other one, this Pander, I don't know. Here's the thing, he's as clear a villain as you are ever going to see in your life. He poo poo-talks his opponents, he mocks them, much more than he has to, and he loving wins, and keeps winning. But on the other hand, he's a guy that audiences are probably going to hate in the wrong way. A good villain, people want to see him, even if just to get his comeuppance. This Pander guy, I don't think audiences even want that, they just want him to go away. Like, you ask people if they want to see Pander run over with a train, or just stop being in the story, I think they go with the latter, because if he's getting run over by a train, that still leaves a few seconds before the train hits where you have to deal with him.

I'm sure this will work,

Hollywood Dynamo

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Eh, what else you got?

Hollywood Dynamo posted:

In the grim future of 2134, the world is in ruins. A century ago, all civilization was destroyed by the evil tyrant Beet and his villainous robotic henchman, the MACHINE. Together, they toppled all existing nations, and 90% of the world's population in their unending appettite for destruction.

The world has changed, but mankind still yearns for freedom, the freedom to live and rebuild. For many years, it has been prophecied that a man will rise from the wastes and bring Beet and the MACHINE to justice. One day, DannoMack and his band of waste-riders are traveling the wastes surrounding what used to be Toronto when, all of a sudden, the MACHINE appears and destroys them all. There is no reason for the MACHINE's attack other than it could destroy so it did. In the process, MACHINE also steals the Canadian Championship, the last remaining emblem of Canadian heritage in existence after Beet destroyed the Stanley Cup.

DannoMack, however, survives, and is taken in by the RCMP, who reveal that he is, in fact, the chosen one who is fated to finally end Beet's reign of terror.

Then he goes on a journey with magic, action, adventure, boat-racing, high-stakes drama, and water-skiing, and saves all mankind. Also, jetbikes. And possible some sort of talking cyber-animal friend.

Happy?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

It's perfect! Print it!

The Games

Okay, it was a sweep, and all of the games were boring, but I'll go over them fast.

Game 1: RCMP @ Sindhi Sheikhs (Series Tied 0-0)

Walter Johnson is better than Slim Sallee. What a twist! But seriously, random deadballers will work most of the time, but there's always a chance they'll crash and burn. The issue is that a deadballer will give up hits, because they aren't going to strike anyone out. They won't give up power hits that often, so a team will need to hit two or three or four hits in a row to do real damage, and most of the time, teams aren't going to do that, but sometimes they will. That's the risk of deadball pitching, that you're basically betting that the hit sequencing is going to work in your favor. Sometimes, as in this game, it doesn't. Such is life.

Also, I thought I had taken Johnny Bassler out of the RCMP's lineup. I guess Bassler won't go down that easy. Then again, it's not like it did DannoMack any harm. On the contrary, it worked out pretty well all things considered.

Game 2: RCMP @ Sindhi Sheikhs (RCMP Lead 1-0)

Basically everything that happened in Game One happened again in Game Two. The RCMP put up a really good pitcher, and the Sheikhs would have been okay if the RCMP had gotten their hits in a slightly different order. The only real difference is that Phil Douglas did give up a couple of home runs, which really sucks, but a deadballer giving up a home run to Wade Boggs of all people is just the height of bad luck. I don't know that the RCMP really outplayed the Sheikhs so much as they just had two straight games chock full of bad luck.

It happens.

Game 3: Sindhi Sheikhs @ RCMP (RCMP Lead 2-0)

Here was another game that the Sheikhs could have won, and then didn't. This series had it all.

No, wait, it's the opposite of that. This series had one thing repeated over and over again until I wanted to quit the Super-League out of frustration. And that one thing wasn't all that exciting to begin with.

Game 4: Sindhi Sheikhs @ RCMP (RCMP Lead 3-0)

This game could have been interesting, in that had the Sheikhs come back from 5-0 in the ninth, facing elimination, it would have been a hell of a story, because it would have been so very improbable.

Of course, it would have been a good story mainly because of how unlikely it was to occur and, in fact, it did not occur. So, there you go.

In summary, this series made me hate the Super-League.

Even more.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Smasher Dynamo posted:

There probably should be a love interest for DannoMack, but, let's be honest, the audience's suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I don't like this season.

That is all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

That is all.

Clearly you need to distract yourself with more terrible Legion comics.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

That is all.

I think this season has been thrilling!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

It's more frustrating from my perspective, I don't feel like I'm doing good work.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

It's more frustrating from my perspective, I don't feel like I'm doing good work.

thats the impostor syndrome, you'll get over it soon

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Smasher Dynamo posted:

At the end of the day, I can say is that that is just a natural side effect of being creatively engaged, that you judge your own work much more harshly than anybody else's. If you asked anybody who is currently reading the Super-League if you were doing good work, they would all say yes. If you asked anybody who has written for the Sub-Par League before if they feel like they could do what you're doing and keep up a similar quality standard, they would all say no. Even when you're feeling drained, what you put out is far above anything put out in the Sub-Par League (really, during the offseason, take some time out and just read some of the recaps we've written in detail, the quality difference is staggering), and I would say that the Super-League has the best quality/quantity writing combination in this subforum by a long shot, to where you could cut the number of Games of the Week in half and it still wouldn't drop from the #1 spot.

So what I guess I'm saying is that even if you feel you're not doing good work, you are, and you've more than deserved as much time off as you feel you need. We'll work out something to keep us occupied. Maybe I'll organize a Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball tournament or something.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Monicro posted:

how about Take A Fuckin Break U Dingus, You Are Absurd And We Love You And You More Than Deserve A Few Freebie Weeks Off (a children's storybook by monicro, coming June 2016)

I, for one, support the TAFBUDYAAAWLYAYMTDAFFWO initiative.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
thank you friend

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Smasher, your work has been excellent, particularly because you're turning a suprisingly bad playoffs (destroy the Southpaws) into excellent writing. The only series that hasn't been a sweep so far is, I think, the Losers-Sheikh's, which was between two teams with very little in the way of narrative; that you've been able to get that much out of these games is amazing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, right, one last gameday change: Switch to a four man rotation, make sure Bumgarner is the SP1 and the next starter. I said I was going to make Bumgarner my playoff ace, and I'm fully sticking with it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I have been asked to consider the wildly varying and terrible time zones of tonight's participants. Therefore, the THRILLING LIVE STREAM EVENT will begin about 6-7 hours from the time of this post.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I think this season has been really good, and not just because the handsomest person won the DL. We learned that THE MACHINE skitters, which I was not aware of.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

DannoMack posted:

I think this season has been really good, and not just because the handsomest person won the DL. We learned that THE MACHINE skitters, which I was not aware of.

Two legs were not the most efficient configuration for the perfect fielder. What choice did I have?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Hoverplatform with singularity generator?

As a side benefit, deffo doesn't clog up the basepaths.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

So is he like the WIld Wild West spider robot only scaled down to fit in the batter's box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

DannoMack posted:

So is he like the WIld Wild West spider robot only scaled down to fit in the batter's box?

Uh-oh....