Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How much do you reckon a fully fit cutter will set me back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel like the Corvette entire Federal lineup needs a jump range boost.

It's pretty dumb that the Federal hammer takes so long to reach any colony acting up.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I feel like the Corvette needs a jump range boost.
It needs a size 7 FSD like the Cutter instead of a size 6 like the Anaconda as the Corvette's base hull mass is literally more than double the Anaconda.

Space Skeleton posted:

For combat? Around 500m if you buy the modules in Sirius space.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Do we know what ranks are going to be required for the Cutter and Corvette? Not looking forward to the rep grind. :(

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Insert name here posted:

Do we know what ranks are going to be required for the Cutter and Corvette? Not looking forward to the rep grind. :(
I'm expecting it to be 3 ranks higher than whatever the Clipper/Dropship are which I guess is Earl for Imperials and whatever the equivalent is for the Federation.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Space Skeleton posted:

The build I'm shooting for is worth ~520M

:stare:

Edit: The spotlights on the Cutter turn red when hardpoints are deployed :3:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 14, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Best guess: all of them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well the Cobra MkIV is in game, I just got interdicted by one flown by an NPC.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, a little birdie told me they are finally releasing ships bigger than the anaconda...with a larger jump range.

Is this true, because this is my dream.

Everyone forgot the "Jump Range Boost" thing that will temporarily give you a very large bonus to jump range for a limited duration or number of uses.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Trip Report: Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter

Federal Corvette
Hull cost: 187m

Anyone who has flown a Python and used fixed weapons on it will know all the hardpoints are situated so that they basically converge at one point. The Corvette has exactly the same design philosophy but the guns are bigger and more suited to taking on bigger targets. The huge hardpoints are on the top of the hull directly behind the cockpit and the rest are all clustered around the nose as the rest of the underside of the hull is taken up by the cargo scoop and launch bays for the two fighters it's capable of carrying.

The good news is it's nimble. It has some of the best yaw turning on any ship I've flown and it's only marginally less agile than an A-fit Python while being significantly larger, better armoured, better shielded and packing more firepower. It's also got the Python's awesome power reserves making fitting a breeze and leaving it a strong contender for some of Space Khaleesi's magical green shields. It is in every combat aspect a straight upgrade from the Python.

The bad news is that the jump range is loving abysmal when kitted out for combat. It's largely got the same internals as the Anaconda while having an extra 500t base mass on the hull. When kitted out with A-grade fittings and weapons (but basically no internals), I was teetering on the edge of only have a 12.5LY jump range which is just stupid considering the description of the ship mentions they're used for by the Federation for 'long-range patrols'. They've introduced Class 7 FSDs for the Cutter and I'm hopefully they'll be smart enough to upgrade the Corvette's FSD to the same size because otherwise it's going to massively limit its effectiveness which is a shame because it's a pretty amazing ship.

It's pretty great looking, too:

Imperial Cutter
Hull cost: 208m

Do you like flying really fast? Do you like the Imperial Clipper? Would you like the Clipper if it had better hardpoint placement, worse handling, was four times the price and was even better at ramming stuff? The Imperial Cutter is the ship for you. The largest Gutamaya ship we're likely going to see in E:D, the Cutter is a bunch of engines strapped to a giant futuristic white dildo and is shaping up to be the most expensive ship in the game.

As the Cutter features Gutamaya's signature weird as hell thrusters that are super powerful horizontally almost nonexistant vertically, it'll breeze its way into the world championships of ship drifting. The first time I tried to dock it at a station I did my normal FA-off boost backflip to land in front of the mail slot except it kind of kept drifting despite my frantic efforts to correct with upwards thrust I ended up sailing into a player in a Keelback (vaporising it instantly) and was consequently murdered by the station :v:. On the flip side, hoo boy is it fast. With dropping some internals a bit to reduce the hull mass I've managed to get it up to about 360m/s which is just silly when you consider how big it is. It's basically 40% faster than the Anaconda or Corvette when boosting and it's going to be amazing watching goons turn these things into giant kinetic missiles :getin:

The weapon layout is significantly improved over Gutamaya's normal stuff with only two of the hardpoints not clustered around the cockpit and those two are only medium hardpoints anyway so who cares if they don't converge, slap some pulse turrets on them and you're good to go. Thanks to the clustering of 2 of the medium hardpoints along with the huge directly below the cockpit you could conceivably fit three plasma accelerators there if you're feeling saucy and boost in towards your target and use the accelerators to alpha their shields before slamming into it to finish it off. There's also two large hardpoints directly above the cockpit that seem to have excellent coverage of anything above the Cutter. Like the Corvette, it has pretty good convergence if you're using fixed guns in the hardpoints around the cockpit.

The cost of all this awesomeness is quite literally cost. The Cutter is absurdly expensive and thanks to using Class 8 thrusters and having two Class 8 internal slots you're going to be looking at north of 400m even for a bargain basement fitout. The one I've been playing around with on the beta server will cost about 640m on the live servers if I don't buy all the modules with Li Yong-Rui's space :shepicide:

But really, look at the goddamn thing:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
How's the handling on the cutter? If the corvette is similar to a python, and the cutter is worse than both, then I fear it could be obnoxious to muscle around in combat. Otherwise it seems like it ticks all the boxes to be an amazing multirole ship.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The Cutter is a Type 9 that can go fast.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

timn posted:

How's the handling on the cutter? If the corvette is similar to a python, and the cutter is worse than both, then I fear it could be obnoxious to muscle around in combat. Otherwise it seems like it ticks all the boxes to be an amazing multirole ship.
It's sort of okay but it drifts a lot (although FA off helps somewhat). It's not like the Clipper where you get it to the magic threshold and it starts handling really well with A thrusters because it's so goddamn heavy that you'll never get to that point even with 8A thrusters. That said, it has good lateral thrusters like all Gutamaya ships do so you can fly it like a helicopter gunship and circle strafe stuff instead.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Cutter looks like its bridge is right at the front of the ship, versus being kinda in the middle like the Anaconda. Does it feel like you're sitting at the when you're flying it (i.e. no giant visible nose extending out in front of you)? If so then I might make an overkill mining Cutter someday. I made a Minerconda but I didn't like how far away my view was from the asteroid.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Been using the Viper 4 and so far I'm not a fan. Handling seems to be rather poor. Decent power plant though. Although my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt since I suck at combat.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Everytime I look at Gutamaya ships a part of me thinks 'An SC nut would probably have sold a kidney for that'

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What's the required rank for cutter?

Also if I want the cutter in SC, is that at the $2.500 tier, or the $3.500 tier?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shine posted:

The Cutter looks like its bridge is right at the front of the ship, versus being kinda in the middle like the Anaconda. Does it feel like you're sitting at the when you're flying it (i.e. no giant visible nose extending out in front of you)? If so then I might make an overkill mining Cutter someday. I made a Minerconda but I didn't like how far away my view was from the asteroid.
Ever flown a Clipper? It's basically the same although the Clipper still has a better canopy.

Kavros posted:

What's the required rank for cutter?

Also if I want the cutter in SC, is that at the $2.500 tier, or the $3.500 tier?
They haven't said anything about that yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What does the Keelback look like? I heard it was a highly modified Type-6?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Missiles are cool (for the whole five minutes you have ammo for them):

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What does the Keelback look like? I heard it was a highly modified Type-6?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysYDnyr13sA

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The Cutter is a Type 9 that can go fast.

Love my python, hated the clipper. Looks like it's corvette all the way for me.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So one of the things I'm doing in this beta is testing different loadouts on ships I would actually fly, and I've got to say, dual C3 PACs on a Vulture will straight up dunk on fools.

My Vulture was already my favorite ship, but now?

:clint:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

love

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So what's the recharge like on these bi-weave shields?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So hull reinforcements got buffed quite a lot but the scaling on them is totally different now. Before the strength of each (D Grade) hull reinforcement was 7.5 (2^class) so going up a grade doubled its effectiveness. Now it's just a weird progression where each increase in class is +60 or +70 but the baseline strength is much higher at 110 for a 1D hull reinforcement. So class 1 got buffed from 15 to 110 but class 5 only went from 240 to 390.

Still a big buff for all classes (and bigger in terms of raw numbers rather than as a percentage of its previous strength) but the biggest change is that low grade hull reinforcements are actually meaningful now which puts them more on par with SCBs.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

So hull reinforcements got buffed quite a lot but the scaling on them is totally different now. Before the strength of each (D Grade) hull reinforcement was 7.5 (2^class) so going up a grade doubled its effectiveness. Now it's just a weird progression where each increase in class is +60 or +70 but the baseline strength is much higher at 110 for a 1D hull reinforcement. So class 1 got buffed from 15 to 110 but class 5 only went from 240 to 390.

Still a big buff for all classes (and bigger in terms of raw numbers rather than as a percentage of its previous strength) but the biggest change is that low grade hull reinforcements are actually meaningful now which puts them more on par with SCBs.

That's really good for the otherwise pretty useless size 1 internals on the vulture, since it can't fit a decent SCB without lots of fiddling, especially with the new mechanics. More hull gives some leeway if you get dumb and let your shields go down.

Everybody is talking about the corvette and cutter of course, but what's the deal with the Viper mk iv?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

That's really good for the otherwise pretty useless size 1 internals on the vulture, since it can't fit a decent SCB without lots of fiddling, especially with the new mechanics. More hull gives some leeway if you get dumb and let your shields go down.

Everybody is talking about the corvette and cutter of course, but what's the deal with the Viper mk iv?

Well, you know how people complained about the low jump range of the original Viper and how energy-starved that poor ship is? The Viper IV solves all this: Better jump range, better plant, better distributor. I think it's also heavier armored. The drawback is, the Viper IV is slower and less maneuverable than the original Viper. Basically the Viper is a light tank, the Viper IV the heavy tank.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Another thing I didn't mention earlier is that base hull strength is now even less important since it's hugely overshadowed by hull reinforcements. For example an Eagle filled up with hull reinforcements has more armour than a stock FAS. So in some aspects this makes the naturally 'hull tanky' ships worse as there's no way to compensate for having poo poo shields. It's probably not even worth fitting shields to some ships now, in terms of pure survivability, though repair costs are obviously a factor.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

RabidWeasel posted:

Another thing I didn't mention earlier is that base hull strength is now even less important since it's hugely overshadowed by hull reinforcements. For example an Eagle filled up with hull reinforcements has more armour than a stock FAS. So in some aspects this makes the naturally 'hull tanky' ships worse as there's no way to compensate for having poo poo shields. It's probably not even worth fitting shields to some ships now, in terms of pure survivability, though repair costs are obviously a factor.

Operation Powerbottom is back :)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Professor Bling posted:

So one of the things I'm doing in this beta is testing different loadouts on ships I would actually fly, and I've got to say, dual C3 PACs on a Vulture will straight up dunk on fools.

My Vulture was already my favorite ship, but now?

:clint:

Dual PAC vulture is definitely a good ship to try out the new shields on.

I've been dropping the ship on random signals I've found and so far my experience matches yours.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

One thing to remember is: The smaller ships still have their smaller modules with smaller health. While a larger ship like the FAS can probably take a few lucky shots here and there, the Eagle probably needs just one good hit to blow up his power plant.

The amount of armor lowers the change of a shot penetrating through to the module you're targeting, but it doesn't erase it. So the Eagle in your example can take a lot of hits, but only if the pilot is really lucky.

Fake Edit:

After having a night's sleep, I'm kind of less interested in the Keelback. It would have been nice to have back when I was flying around in a T-6 myself, but my Asp can practically do everything the Keelback can, just better. The Asp Scout however looks like a nice long-range alternative to the Imperial Courier. With armor tanking you can get similar health, since the IC is basically a strong-rear end shield bubble surrounding a piece of cardboard. A Asp Scout with military grade composite and a Bi-Weave shield comes close to the HP of an Imperial Courier with several reinforcement packages and military composite armor.

I still love the Federal Corvette but yeah, the jump range is ludicrously low. Long-range patrols my rear end. :argh:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
So is the Anaconda still king for going out into the black?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hazdoc posted:

So is the Anaconda still king for going out into the black?

Yes, none of the new ships can match the exploraconda's jump range.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

Yes, none of the new ships can match the exploraconda's jump range.

On the other hand, as soon as 2.0 and the materials drop, the exploraconda will be dead. Because why fly around in a large, slow tub when you can just use one of the smaller, nimbler explorers and boost their jump range?

But I guess the exploraconda could still be used for some extreme exploring. Maximum boost according to the already implemented slider in the beta is 2x normal range, so with a 40+ jump range you could boost to phenomenal 80+ light years per jump.

Personally, the idea of travelling around in an expensive coffin doesn't really appeal to me, so I'll probably continue to use my Asp. Just heavily armored and armed now, since boosting range means you're no longer in trouble when trying to cross sparse areas. One fit I want to try gives the Asp almost as much HP as the stock FAS and it still has ~30 light years jump range. Or 60+ with boost. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I like that there's now loads of sidegrade ships but why are they almost all 2S2M hardpoints. If you want something with more firepower you're still choosing between a handful of ships ranging from the size of the Vulture to the Cutter, it's crazy. They really should have mixed things up a bit more with the Viper MK4 and Asp Scout.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, as soon as 2.0 and the materials drop, the exploraconda will be dead. Because why fly around in a large, slow tub when you can just use one of the smaller, nimbler explorers and boost their jump range?

But I guess the exploraconda could still be used for some extreme exploring. Maximum boost according to the already implemented slider in the beta is 2x normal range, so with a 40+ jump range you could boost to phenomenal 80+ light years per jump.

Personally, the idea of travelling around in an expensive coffin doesn't really appeal to me, so I'll probably continue to use my Asp. Just heavily armored and armed now, since boosting range means you're no longer in trouble when trying to cross sparse areas. One fit I want to try gives the Asp almost as much HP as the stock FAS and it still has ~30 light years jump range. Or 60+ with boost. :v:

Materials? I've been out of the loop for a while, is there a link to something explaining this?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hazdoc posted:

Materials? I've been out of the loop for a while, is there a link to something explaining this?

Materials.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Astroniomix posted:

So what's the recharge like on these bi-weave shields?
I've been wondering about this as well. Anyone knows if they work well alongside the improved Hull Reinforcement packages?

I've seen a video about the new UI elements and in an Asp you can theoretically make a single 70ly boosted jump using these materials, according to the Galaxy Map navigation screen. :allears:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All of this corvette talk has got me interested...

..Though I'll likely never be able to afford one.

On the good side though each Robigo run nets me another Federation rank so I've gone up 4 ranks in the last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Can anyone please link a nice lucrative rare commodities trade loop?
I'm using the Altair->rajukru->HIP80364->George Pantazis one now but it's old, I'm sure there are better ones now.

• Locked thread