Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

What am I looking at here?

Tell me this isn't real. Oh god, don't tell me there were actual pirate rangers.

Were there Zombie Rangers, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Comstar's path of vengeance could end up being a nice side distraction while we go raiding for family so I view them more as scenery than a vote.

Pirates would be a good option but almost too natural a choice. Likely know some smuggler detours but would they have much firepower?

The Clans have the guns we need and can be a distraction just with their presence. I vote E just because I want to see what kind of deal with the devil would be needed to make this happen.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
C Perhaps the faction least likely to hold this over the FWL for the rest of their lives. Looking forward to the high stakes extraction mission. Also looking forward to the reactions when all these famous pilots get nuked by Comstar.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

habituallyred posted:

C Perhaps the faction least likely to hold this over the FWL for the rest of their lives.

And for good reason. After a pirate gets one look at FWL politics, they'll long for a return to the comparative civility of resolving disputes using rusty bottle openers.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It's not Davion's problem, Comstar would exact a terrible price to do gently caress all, the Clans would probably see it as a weakness worth taking a chunk of the League for, and gently caress Amaris.

C because it's both the Best and most potentially Awesome choice.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
C Because I want to know once and for all who would win in a fight between the A-Team and the Power Rangers.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Gonna vote for c, although I gotta ask, was that update implying that comstar set off the nuke under the HPG, or just that they had the capability?

I'm guessing that Comstar had a fail-safe that a Cappie triggered, blessing them in holy nuclear warmth.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TildeATH posted:

Tell me this isn't real. Oh god, don't tell me there were actual pirate rangers.

It's real. There were actual pirate rangers.

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Power Rangers Super Megaforce

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
E

Because the dishonorable scum need to die.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

TildeATH posted:

And for good reason. After a pirate gets one look at FWL politics, they'll long for a return to the comparative civility of resolving disputes using rusty bottle openers.

Again, these "pirates" are Melissa Steiner, Morgan Kell, a battalion of the Kell Hounds, and Team Banzai in disguise. Point is still valid, but they'd be more used to it what with Melissa and Morgan used to the politicking of the Lyran Commonwealth before they had to leave due to Duke Lestrade loving everything up.

Coffeehitler posted:

I'm guessing that Comstar had a fail-safe that a Cappie triggered, blessing them in holy nuclear warmth.

Don't need to guess, the fluff stated that the nuke went off when it didn't get an hourly all clear check-in signal from the ComStar admin building or the secondary base that GoonLevel II just defended and disappeared into a nuclear fireball.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 15, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
C is the most sensible of all the crazy ideas. There's personal history there.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Going to have to vote C In the hopes of it leading to a Free Worlds Commonwealth, and eventual FreeCom Civil War.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Corsair!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Devorum posted:

Going to have to vote C In the hopes of it leading to a Free Worlds Commonwealth, and eventual FreeCom Civil War.

It gets brought down by ComStar because the name makes them incredibly anxious all the time.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

E because it's batshit insane in the best way.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Voting C
Calling up the Red Corsair seems like the most prudent choice for Duncan to make. Also, I want to see more people stomping around in Star League mechs.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Going to have to go with C as well.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Absolutely do not ask Comstar for help. If they're going to violate their neutrality overtly they'll be doing it already because of the lost HPG so asking for help just creates debt, and Carlos'd probably just get replaced with a body-double anyway.

The Clans do not give a poo poo, so asking them is pretty pointless and even if they agreed it'd probably be in return for some ridiculous concession or require another drat trial. Oh, and it'd damage Duncan's relationship with the rest of the Sphere considering how his existing interactions with the Clans went.

Amaris is an awful choice since he'd be certain to use the opportunity to gently caress the FWL even more than he has already.

That just leaves Hanse and the Red Corsair. Hanse might not like the Capellans much but he's not in a great position to do anything at the moment and has his hands full with the Clans. Even if he could help, he might not gently caress Duncan over but he'll want something in return, probably help against the Clans and Duncan has a lot on his plate already.

The Red Corsair seems like the best hope, desperate gamble though it may be. Carlos doesn't necessarily need a huge rescue, clever pirates running a daring extraction might be the way to do it and their price is probably something Duncan can afford. The only question to me is if they'd take the job and are in the neighbourhood but I assume PTN isn't so cruel as to have an option end in "you leave a message on their answering machine but don't realize they never check their messages".

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 14, 2015

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Voting C for continuity. Out of all of the groups listed, the Red Corsair is the only one who has the closest thing to a reason for caring.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm so torn between Corsair and Clans :ohdear:

C is the letter in common so we'll go with that as a tiebreaker.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope you guys haven't forgotten that C: The Red Corsair isn't actually a real pirate.

She's Melissa Steiner backed by Morgan "Phantom `Mech" Kell and the Kell Hounds. You know, the single largest mercenary group in canon, only second to Wolf's Dragoons in influence due to Clan Jade Falcon's constant threat requiring them to be a de facto Lyran regional military bloc rather than get set up like the Dragoons' short-lived mercenary pseudostate. Also because I am pretty sure they've got national loyalties rather than being purely guns for hire.

Don't forget that in PTN's campaign, The Red Corsair is basically also working on the behalf of the Republic of Skye since, uh, I'm pretty sure she's technically the ruler? Albeit mostly through her body double. Unless I'm forgetting, and let's face it it's been a long, long time. So Duncan might only think he's asking a pirate, but in reality he's calling on the ruler of Skye and the top-notch talent she has at her disposal.

Hell, it's been a while since we did something with those guys hasn't it?

fake edit: Oh, good, some people have been pointing this out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't remember the Lyran political situation very well at all. I think Melissa had to go on the run because her parents died and her evil uncle or godfather or whatever was regent and she was in cahoots with... his son, or someone? Someone who pretended to be a spoiled little poo poo but was actually politically wise, and then he went off and made Skye independent, but then the patsy the bad guy planned to make Archon turned on him anyway and arrested him so it's a bit confusing because I don't know why Melissa is still on the run and Skye is independent if the Archon isn't a bad guy anymore.

This is horribly off but it's been a long time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I hope you guys haven't forgotten that C: The Red Corsair isn't actually a real pirate.

I hope you get suplexed by a Charger. :colbert:

Voting C for SLDF Charger Antics

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the Lyran Commonwealth has been repairing their relationship with Skye but the Republic of Skye is still independent on PTN's OP map.

As far as the Melissa Steiner sitch goes, I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Skye's setup in the PTNverse was a twist on the canon FWL situation. With a fake Thomas Marik trying to keep the FWL from falling to poo poo while the real Thomas Marik was too busy being a cyborg supervillain mastermind to give two fucks. Meanwhile, I've been assuming the fake Melissa Steiner was busy running the country with her husband while the real Melissa Steiner was basically being wandering pirate vigilante batman. Who may or may not have been boxing with the settling Steel Vipers to prove she's hard? Man, I dunno.

Though the canon end of the Thomas Marik situation had the fake Thomas rebelling against his Word of Blake masters and suffering for it, while the real Thomas "The Master" Marik died cackling in nuclear fire. So maybe that's not the best analogy, far as I can tell.

Actually did the Steel Vipers make it to Skye yet? Has this happened and did it just completely get swept by amidst the whole ongoing Amaris thing and then the wrasslepirates and oh wow that's a long table of contents to go through

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
This one must vote C: The Red Corsair as the option most likely to be interesting in a way that is not just 'lol so zany'.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You've been operating under those speech restrictions for almost half a decade now haven't you?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Psion posted:

I hope you get suplexed by a Charger. :colbert:

Have I said how much I loving love this thread for making this joke possible?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
While the logical answer would be Red Corsair, I must go with E. The Clans precisely because of how batshit insane the idea is, especially since the Capellan style of warfare is probably close to the polar opposite of zellbringen given how sneaky they are. With any luck they could push the Clans into Smoke Jaguar-level tactics, and we'd have Team War Crimes vs. Team War Crimes (whoever wins, every innocent within 50 light years loses). That and I find the idea that the prototype CC mechs wind up stuck against the one group with superior tech to them pretty funny; it'd be "so much for the CC having an edge", which about fits their traditional luck in these matters.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

She's Melissa Steiner backed by Morgan "Phantom `Mech" Kell and the Kell Hounds. You know, the single largest mercenary group in canon, only second to Wolf's Dragoons in influence due to Clan Jade Falcon's constant threat requiring them to be a de facto Lyran regional military bloc rather than get set up like the Dragoons' short-lived mercenary pseudostate. Also because I am pretty sure they've got national loyalties rather than being purely guns for hire.

Don't forget that in PTN's campaign, The Red Corsair is basically also working on the behalf of the Republic of Skye since, uh, I'm pretty sure she's technically the ruler? Albeit mostly through her body double. Unless I'm forgetting, and let's face it it's been a long, long time. So Duncan might only think he's asking a pirate, but in reality he's calling on the ruler of Skye and the top-notch talent she has at her disposal.

Dolash posted:

I can't remember the Lyran political situation very well at all. I think Melissa had to go on the run because her parents died and her evil uncle or godfather or whatever was regent and she was in cahoots with... his son, or someone? Someone who pretended to be a spoiled little poo poo but was actually politically wise, and then he went off and made Skye independent, but then the patsy the bad guy planned to make Archon turned on him anyway and arrested him so it's a bit confusing because I don't know why Melissa is still on the run and Skye is independent if the Archon isn't a bad guy anymore.

This is horribly off but it's been a long time.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think the Lyran Commonwealth has been repairing their relationship with Skye but the Republic of Skye is still independent on PTN's OP map.

As far as the Melissa Steiner sitch goes, I might be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Skye's setup in the PTNverse was a twist on the canon FWL situation. With a fake Thomas Marik trying to keep the FWL from falling to poo poo while the real Thomas Marik was too busy being a cyborg supervillain mastermind to give two fucks. Meanwhile, I've been assuming the fake Melissa Steiner was busy running the country with her husband while the real Melissa Steiner was basically being wandering pirate vigilante batman. Who may or may not have been boxing with the settling Steel Vipers to prove she's hard? Man, I dunno.

Though the canon end of the Thomas Marik situation had the fake Thomas rebelling against his Word of Blake masters and suffering for it, while the real Thomas "The Master" Marik died cackling in nuclear fire. So maybe that's not the best analogy, far as I can tell.
Yeah, I've been beating this drum from the beginning since Zaodai ran down his analysis of the choices available soon after PTN posted the vote.

From what I remember of Melissa's situation here in the PTN-verse, her mom Katrina Steiner died before the first mission, due to Duke Aldo Lestrade's shenanigans in attempting to seize the throne of the Lyran Commonwealth, and the Kell Hounds were blamed for it. She went on the run with Morgan Kell and Team Banzai, with Jenna Clay serving as her body double on Tharkad, while she donned the Red Corsair disguise. Jenna married Clovis Lestrade, Aldo's son, after the mission we had on Tharkad where we were playing as Heimdall, though to everyone outside of Clovis and some other people who are in the know, she's the real Melissa Steiner. Clovis declared the independence of Skye soon after the wedding, and Fredrick Steiner, as the person who Duke Lestrade attempted to use to gain the throne as the person behind the throne, allowed it to happen and declared that Skye could leave with his blessing and he would protect it, while arresting Lestrade for malfeasance in running the LyrCom soon after. After which, he's guaranteeing the independence of Skye while trying to convince them to rejoin peacefully, I think.

I guess it's just that Melissa can't just show up out of nowhere to resume her position as the ruler of Skye along Clovis without making it super obvious that he married a double or something like that. So she's just lying low or something, or maybe looking for more Castle Brians for more mechs or whatever.

Last I checked, GENERAL THOMAS HOGARTH was dispatched as a goodwill ambassador to Skye a while back alongside his new movie (which I was involved in!) that substituted the ghost of Richard Cameron as the main villain instead of the Red Corsair and Skye when Fredrick as the new Archon wanted to try and repair their relationship that Lestrade had so damaged, which Jenna and Clovis thought was ridiculous when they saw it. Otherwise, we haven't seen much of them since then.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Actually did the Steel Vipers make it to Skye yet? Has this happened and did it just completely get swept by amidst the whole ongoing Amaris thing and then the wrasslepirates and oh wow that's a long table of contents to go through
I think it just went by the wayside due to other stuff happening, like the Amaris thing, and the response from Clans Snow Raven, Sea Fox, and Ghost Bear, and we all remember how well that turned out... I don't think we ever really got confirmation from PTN how that vote turned out in the fluff, it just hasn't been touched since. I think last we saw them, the Steel Vipers and their allies (Cloud Cobra? Star Adder? Both?) were still pushing through Lyran territory as Task Force Serpent and are pretty much at the Skye border currently according to the latest map in the combat theater votes. Maybe we'll see more of them once this mini-campaign ends?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You've been operating under those speech restrictions for almost half a decade now haven't you?

Ha, I remember trying to gig Muk for it in a totally unrelated thread, the Jeopardy one, when I saw them using contractions. Speaking of which, did you get a callback for an audition to Jeopardy, Muk? Hope the email I gave you helped out if you did.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 15, 2015

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Dolash posted:

Absolutely do not ask Comstar for help. If they're going to violate their neutrality overtly they'll be doing it already because of the lost HPG so asking for help just creates debt, and Carlos'd probably just get replaced with a body-double anyway.

This convinced me of the rightness of Voting For A precisely because it might mean a Carlos body-double, FWL owing ComStar a favor, and even more Blake's (Nuclear) Wrath! :unsmigghh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well then, I hope we get a chance to follow up on it after this minicampaign's done. Unless some even more fabulous prizes show up on the combat theatre vote.

Holybat posted:

This convinced me of the rightness of Voting For A precisely because it might mean a Carlos body-double, FWL owing ComStar a favor, and even more Blake's (Nuclear) Wrath! :unsmigghh:

I'm pretty sure the Carlos double was in the cards no matter what.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me that was a part of the reason I voted for the Red Corsair.

Bind the FWL and the Republic of Skye closer together, and you may see the only semi-peaceful border in the Inner Sphere (between the Lyrans and the FWL) start to shred, and anything that gives us more conflict makes the PTNverse more interesting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me that was a part of the reason I voted for the Red Corsair.

Bind the FWL and the Republic of Skye closer together, and you may see the only semi-peaceful border in the Inner Sphere (between the Lyrans and the FWL) start to shred, and anything that gives us more conflict makes the PTNverse more interesting.

On the other hand, if the FWL and Lyrans ever stopped opportunistically raiding each other and occasionally invading while the other guy's back is turned, they would've been one hell of a team-up.

Team Stop Trump-ing Yourself

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

On the other hand, if the FWL and Lyrans ever stopped opportunistically raiding each other and occasionally invading while the other guy's back is turned, they would've been one hell of a team-up.

Team Stop Trump-ing Yourself

Hey, I'm just saying, if Skye ever found it too tough to go it alone they could always take solace in the fact that the Free Worlds League has always allowed a great deal of autonomy in its component regions...

...actually I was just sort of joking when I first said that but as I think on it more and more holy poo poo that would be amazing. If Skye had to get eaten by anyone, they would probably find being eaten by the Successor State with the most decentralized government of them all the most palatable. I sort of really want this now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

GhostStalker posted:

Don't need to guess, the fluff stated that the nuke went off when it didn't get an hourly all clear check-in signal from the ComStar admin building or the secondary base that GoonLevelII just defended and disappeared into a nuclear fireball.

Yeah, wow, I just glossed over that sentence the first few times I read it. Whoops

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
E: Clans both because 'how in the world is he going to get them to do that' and that it would probably the last thing the Capellan's expected. Other houses, renegades sure but the Clans?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well then, I hope we get a chance to follow up on it after this minicampaign's done. Unless some even more fabulous prizes show up on the combat theatre vote.

I'm pretty sure the Carlos double was in the cards no matter what.

I mean, it's tradition in every timeline for a Marik heir to get body-doubled, so...

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
"IlKhan! IlKhan! Please save my son from the Space Communists! He is the best person to run a space nation of No You Shut Ups when I am gone!"

"Really now? Our scientists must study this carefully to see if it is genetic. Breeding our warriors for leadership over many many No You Shut Ups would be of great benefit to us. Star Captain, your orders are to shoot all the Space Communists, capture this noble and bring him back to us alive. If his father wants him back he can challenge for him."

Voting E.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

E is clearly the most gently caress you choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
C, even if it's "boring"

• Locked thread