Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sweeperbravo posted:

I think it's just the fact that there's three of them in one classroom and then the head-scratching spelling variant as well.

My cousin named his son Xzavior and I wish I could save that poor child from his terrible future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's an Elsa at day care who is just slightly older than Frozen and her mom is really bummed out about it because now everyone just assumes that's where it came from.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's an Elsa at day care who is just slightly older than Frozen and her mom is really bummed out about it because now everyone just assumes that's where it came from.

That's really sad.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
A moronic acquaintance of mine and her equally moronic husband are about to have a baby, and it's name is going to be Lyric. FYI it's a boy.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Toogy. Tha fuack?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

The Golden Man posted:

Toogy. Tha fuack?

I missed you

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
A friends child:

River Fenway

Just... Why?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
One of the teen moms from MTV named her second daughter Remington Monroe Simms.

Unrelated, Michaela pronounced Mi-Shay-La.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

EZipperelli posted:

A friends child:

River Fenway

Just... Why?

Dr who fans?

My name kinda belongs here, "Locke" pronounced Lock-ee. The amount of lachlans I get :argh:. I've gotten one Lock and never Locke

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Kurtofan posted:

What's wrong with Xavier. :colbert:

sweeperbravo posted:

I think it's just the fact that there's three of them in one classroom and then the head-scratching spelling variant as well.

Yep, this ^^^
3 Xaviers (and a Zayvier) in a class of 19 kids.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

One of the 19 Kids and Counting kids just named their baby Spurgeon.

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006
Shuwastika
Xenon Rain

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Tonight at work I waited on a perfectly lovely adult woman named Cinnamon Baker. Honestly with such a delightful name you're pretty much required to be charming.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My name kinda belongs here, "Locke" pronounced Lock-ee.

Yeah, English pronunciation doesn't really do that. Sucks to have a name from somewhere else that ends up getting mutilated by someone else's orthographic rules.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The Golden Man posted:

Toogy. Tha fuack?

Fromptus

what the h*ck

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just got off the phone with Coach Bechdel and all we talked about was guys playing football :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tommmy

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

genetic_knockout posted:

A moronic acquaintance of mine and her equally moronic husband are about to have a baby, and it's name is going to be Lyric. FYI it's a boy.

I liked this name for my middle daughter but couldn't get my husband on board. Fits a girl better, I think, but probably would have still been worthy of this thread.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah, English pronunciation doesn't really do that. Sucks to have a name from somewhere else that ends up getting mutilated by someone else's orthographic rules.

As far as I know it's a welsh name or something and both sides of my family tree have been in Australia since the first settlers so it was definitely my parents wanting to be "different".

My sister is named Kirby. She was born after the game series with the male character came out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dogfish posted:

Last name first names are a really big thing right now. Grayson, Harrison, Hamilton, Jackson and endless spelling variants thereof.

My boss has two sons who follow this pattern: Hudson and Harrison. I'm not sure they deserve to be in this thread, but I'm still not sure how I feel about their being kind of... matchy. (At least they're not twins?)

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

White lady at the salon named Me'Lisa

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

My sister is named Kirby. She was born after the game series with the male character came out.

Giving your daughter the same name as two things known for their suction would seem to be tempting fate a little bit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Giving your daughter the same name as two things known for their suction would seem to be tempting fate a little bit.

Abraham Lincoln's sister was called Hoover Cocksuck Lincoln :shrug:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

stubblyhead posted:

I didn't even make that connection

god why dad

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
There's someone at my university with the name Jordan Ireland. I hope they're majoring in geography.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Montanna

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I don't think Kirby has a gender. He's just a pink blob.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Twinkle Twilight

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

coronatae posted:

Twinkle Twilight

Not quite! It's Twinkle Twinkie Twilight

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/CPS-Missing-15-Month-Old-Girl-350004801.html

I feel bad laughing at the name of a child with an active Amber Alert though.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I feel awful about the circumstances, especially since they consider her to be in grave or immediate danger, but Amber Alerts tend to be where I get my names from. That's how I found A'Million back in May

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I went to school with a guy named Zennon.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

coronatae posted:

I feel awful about the circumstances, especially since they consider her to be in grave or immediate danger, but Amber Alerts tend to be where I get my names from. That's how I found A'Million back in May

They found her safe so we're in the clear. :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Watching the news tonight, I learned that the superintendent for a local school system is named Dr. Dallas Dance. Which is a pretty rad name, tbh, but it made me laugh so I'm putting it here anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Satomi Sword :ninja:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I was reminded earlier that my nephew has a friend whose first name is Grover. And to top it off he's Grover Whatever V.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

After the TV series?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
It's always weird to me when suffixes go beyond Junior. By the time you hit IV, I think it's less a namesake and more "This name is common in my family."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

After the TV series?

Yes they are lizard people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Story time: My college's CS department had a custom Linux command-line program called "floor" that gave you an ASCII map of one floor of the CS building, and the username of whoever is logged in to each of the computers on the map. In effect, you could see who was logged in and where. It was a useful tool if you needed to see where your friends were all sitting, or where there was an unused area for privacy, or if you needed to find a particular person, or if you had forgotten what someone's name was. I used it when I was bored because (a) I'm kind of nosy and (b) I liked to look around and see all the usernames. You couldn't pick your own CS username unless you were a grad student, and sometimes the IT department assigned people some particularly dumb-sounding names. When I found one that sounded particularly weird, I liked to use the "finger" command to see what that person's actual name was and how it got contorted to make a funny-sounding login name. "dang" was Dan Grossman; "cbaldass" was Chris Baldassari; "socko" was actually, unbelievably, a guy named Stan Ocko; etc etc etc (names slightly altered for Internet reasons)

One day I found that someone's username was "dongbo." I giggled at that for a few seconds; it called to mind a longbow made entirely from dongs, or one built to fire dongs instead of arrows, or both of those things at once. What was this name that had somehow had the misfortune to be abbreviated into such a silly-sounding word? Daniel Ongborgstein? Donald G. Borland?

Turns out the guy's name was just Dong Bo. I saw that and immediately felt racist.

loquacius has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

loquacius posted:

Story time: My college's CS department had a custom Linux command-line program called "floor" that gave you an ASCII map of one floor of the CS building, and the username of whoever is logged in to each of the computers on the map. In effect, you could see who was logged in and where. It was a useful tool if you needed to see where your friends were all sitting, or where there was an unused area for privacy, or if you needed to find a particular person, or if you had forgotten what someone's name was. I used it when I was bored because (a) I'm kind of nosy and (b) I liked to look around and see all the usernames. You couldn't pick your own CS username unless you were a grad student, and sometimes the IT department assigned people some particularly dumb-sounding names. When I found one that sounded particularly weird, I liked to use the "finger" command to see what that person's actual name was and how it got contorted to make a funny-sounding login name. "dang" was Dan Grossman; "cbaldass" was Chris Baldassari; "socko" was actually, unbelievably, a guy named Stan Ocko; etc etc etc (names slightly altered for Internet reasons)

One day I found that someone's username was "dongbo." I giggled at that for a few seconds; it called to mind a longbow made entirely from dongs, or one built to fire dongs instead of arrows, or both of those things at once. What was this name that had somehow had the misfortune to be abbreviated into such a silly-sounding word? Daniel Ongborgstein? Donald G. Borland?

Turns out the guy's name was just Dong Bo. I saw that and immediately felt racist.

I remember reading an internet thing a zillion years ago where a student named Sabrina Tan was assigned via algorithm an email address of satan@somethingsomething.edu

hyperhazard posted:

It's always weird to me when suffixes go beyond Junior. By the time you hit IV, I think it's less a namesake and more "This name is common in my family."

We used to tease a guy at work for being named <firstname> Winchester III, the most old money country club sounding name we've ever heard.