Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm so bad at finding noxious pods after MoM, only got 2 my last run. Are there any maps out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I haven't even found any jumping puzzles in the new zones. Minor things that lead to vistas or mastery insights, yes, but not proper Jumping Puzzles that give achievements and grand chests like the old zones had.

Try the one under Rata Novus, the one where the mushroom queen hero challenge is. You jump over the poison mushrooms, and there's an achievement. I want to say it's not terribly hard, but there's a few spots that can be tricky.

malhavok posted:

I'm so bad at finding noxious pods after MoM, only got 2 my last run. Are there any maps out yet?

(I know you were talking about the ones after meta, but) someone told me that the pods in the map before meta is complete despawn after first person picks them open. If true, it would explain why I, too have an awful time trying to find them. After the meta I usually just follow the arrows on the map. I dunno what the easiest one is, the saurian location is pretty hard.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm pretty poo poo at finding them too (and tend to give up after getting steamrolled by Devils and arrowheads a few times) but those big red arrows point towards clusters of them. There seemed to be a lot by the Inverse Pit poi and the underground hero point with the sniper and the champion mushroom emperor.

Azazell0 posted:

Someone told me that the pods in the map before meta is complete (random ones) despawn after first person picks them open. If true, it would explain why I, too have an awful time trying to find them.

Yeah this is true, I found one pre-MoM once and headed towards it only to watch a pubbie get there first and the pod disappear. :saddowns:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ItBurns posted:

Changes to fractals, including more money and XP but still gated behind a literal asura gate. When will Failnet learn?

Hooray, actual good changes!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm pretty poo poo at finding them too (and tend to give up after getting steamrolled by Devils and arrowheads a few times) but those big red arrows point towards clusters of them. There seemed to be a lot by the Inverse Pit poi and the underground hero point with the sniper and the champion mushroom emperor.

Yeah this is true, I found one pre-MoM once and headed towards it only to watch a pubbie get there first and the pod disappear. :saddowns:

This seems counter to their design philosophy so I hope it's a bug :shrug:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns: This seems contrary to their design philosophy.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

I found a YouTube video that showed a 'path' to get the two large areas and the two smaller areas. People are correct that there are pods that spawn before the meta is over, but they might be bugs because I noticed the same despawning behavior on some of the ones after the event was done but that appears to be fixed at this point.

The two main areas are the clearing with the wyvern and tigers, and the temple area with the roller/porcupine things. There are also a couple in the wyvern nest and usually one where the champ mushroom spawns.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
I don't think that's a combat worthy outfit.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Don't he pods despawn after someone else opens it? Some random in map hat was saying gun that yesterday and I'm inclined to believe it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's what we were discussing silly. Just the ones before the boss fight, though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I like the zones and I like the events in them that I've seen so far, I just wish there were more events randomized so the meta in each zone isn't always on a fixed schedule/path. That's what makes it feel like a grind.
Or at least it would if I was bothering advancing instead of going off to play pretty princess or do something else.
It also kinda sucks that you can't save a failed meta yourself, since it's very easy for things to be going great before night starts, then everyone scampers off to AFK and idle reward.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Goon Squad!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

While I remember, I don't have a ton of time this weekend but I should be able to manage one more hero point train.

Ideally I'll run a later one so the Pacific time folks get a shot but it'll probably be an hour before I get home but I can either run one today or tomorrow.

If you've missed out on the previous HP runs (especially if you need to get your elite spec filled out on your main character) please let me know what time works better for you.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Here's my Scrapper soon before finishing my first full Dragon's Stand map.

Scrapper owns. Dragon's Stand owns. HoT ain't all bad.

Also Tangled Depths is a loving mess to navigate, but that makes it all the more rewarding when you wander upon one of the huge underground chambers. Shame the actual game content for the zone sucks right now.

klockwerk fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

I changed my Reaper up just a little bit, though I might change the dye scheme still.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

You see all those bigass ley line flows in the background of your image? You can glide on those with the mastery, it owns.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Mercurius posted:

You see all those bigass ley line flows in the background of your image? You can glide on those with the mastery, it owns.

Floating around that chamber with ley lines is completely rad. It feels a lot like being a hawk soaring on thermals or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just play a bit of guild wars before bed, he said.

There's nothing in there that could give you nightmares, he said.

Nothing at all horrifying.

Nothing that could keep you up at night.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

to be fair that cutscene is incredible in a really good way

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dreggon posted:

to be fair that cutscene is incredible in a really good way

It's a very good cutscene. Art team knows its poo poo.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 15, 2015

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I asked this earlier in the midst of the Mastery discussion, so I think it got missed. I'm just starting into HoT (for the first time) on my Warrior and I'm getting owned pretty hard. Does anyone have a build that emphasises survivability for a Warrior?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I haven't really touched my warrior since HOT, but after seeing how quickly non-reapers get wrecked I'd personally do some flavor of soldier geared hammer/longbow shout healing build.

Disclaimer: I'm a no-skill casual that plays how he wants pretty princess or bust

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
So is revenant cool and worth buying the expansion for? I haven't really played since launch and logged in just now to find there's an overload of stuff being thrown at me. I'd like to start from scratch and it seems like a new class may be fun. That said; is everyone and their mother a revenant and will it be hard to find groups later on?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mikemo Tyson posted:

That said; is everyone and their mother a revenant and will it be hard to find groups later on?

I haven't really played my revenant so I can't answer the first question, but as for this one -- the amount of revenants I've seen is pretty in line with all the other classes. All of the base classes getting elite specializations helped encourage diversity, I think.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I asked this earlier in the midst of the Mastery discussion, so I think it got missed. I'm just starting into HoT (for the first time) on my Warrior and I'm getting owned pretty hard. Does anyone have a build that emphasises survivability for a Warrior?
Run a hybrid damage + healing shouts build and your survivability will go way up without compromising your damage too much.

I really like greatsword/rifle but with berserker spec I use sword+torch/rifle.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm leveling up a new character in the main game and think I'm going to buy the expansion. Does the expansion have any pre-80 content or is that a dumb question (like usually MMOs don't). Is there any reason to buy it before I get this guy to 80 or just do it then?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Libertine posted:

I'm leveling up a new character in the main game and think I'm going to buy the expansion. Does the expansion have any pre-80 content or is that a dumb question (like usually MMOs don't). Is there any reason to buy it before I get this guy to 80 or just do it then?

A new class is pre 80 content i guess.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Mikemo Tyson posted:

So is revenant cool and worth buying the expansion for? I haven't really played since launch and logged in just now to find there's an overload of stuff being thrown at me. I'd like to start from scratch and it seems like a new class may be fun. That said; is everyone and their mother a revenant and will it be hard to find groups later on?

Revenant is pretty good, but it's overly simple in PvE — particularly groups, where all you do is auto attack for optimal damage output — and you don't get to pick your skills outside of weapons and two legendary stances (one of which will pretty much always be Glint once you have it), which limits build options. If you're more of a PvP kind of person, I highly recommend it.

If you don't mind the simplicity, you won't have trouble finding groups for PvE; the class is extremely valuable there, capable of maintaining fury, swiftness and a ton of might stacks for your group without sacrificing damage output, which in the Revenant's case is pretty high up there too. Support Revenants are not bad either.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 14, 2015

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Liberatore posted:

Revenant is pretty good, but it's overly simple in PvE — particularly groups, where all you do is auto attack for optimal damage output — and you don't get to pick your skills outside of weapons and two legendary stances, which limits build options. If you're more of a PvP kind of person, I highly recommend it.

If you don't mind the simplicity, you won't have trouble finding groups for PvE; the class is extremely valuable there, capable of maintaining fury, swiftness and a ton of might stacks for your group without sacrificing damage output, which in the Revenant's case is pretty high up there too.

This actually works out pretty well for me, I have issues with my hands so slamming a bunch of buttons can become tiresome. I'm thinking I'll blow :10bux:x10 for HoT and buy a cute backpack and be on my merry way. Thanks for the input, and you too BIRD.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Another asura purged :hitler:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

"To kill an asura is not murder; it is the path to heaven" - Pope Francis I, 2014

e. vvvv

god wills it

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 14, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

"To kill an asura is not murder; it is the path to heaven" - Pope Francis I, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Libertine posted:

Revenant is incredible, and has the added bonus of no in-game explanation for the player character, so when an npc starts using it in the HoT story and everyone's all "Ooooh how you do!?" you get to sit the corner looking all :saddowns: because apparently no one noticed you channeling dead spirits for the last ~2 years.

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

Kessel posted:

Art team knows it's poo poo.

Rude

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Rytlock got Herald in the mists, so logically he must have been running a lot of eotm trains for all those hero points

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Rytlock got Herald in the mists, so logically he must have been running a lot of eotm trains for all those hero points

Rytlock doesn't have a job or a girlfriend.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Rytlock doesn't have a job or a girlfriend.
Up until a week ago this was true for me as well (well, still no girlfriend, but a job!) which is how I got Berserker and Chronomancer both maxed out (and the mesmer was level ~49 when I bought HoT, go go powerleveling in the Mad King's Labyrinth!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ItBurns posted:

Rytlock doesn't have a girlfriend.

Logan???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

:911:

Almost as naked as Gonk