Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

AndroidHub posted:

Something I just happened across watching some older episodes; in the second set of short graybles BMO shows football a grapefruit spoon along with the salt shaker, tonic grincher(for grinching), and how to drink tea.

Also while watching that one I can never remember if it's about the five fingers or the five tastes until told at the end.

It can be both but it's Tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BMO is such a great character. This episode was one of the strongest AT offerings in a long time.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Monday, November 16th

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did that episode settle that bmo is a boy? (and football is a girl?) instead of the weird cool genderless robot thing they had been doing?

Yeah, but the point is they're both BMO. The poor little guy(or gal) is basically having a psychotic meltdown.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Castle Radium posted:

Yeah, but the point is they're both BMO. The poor little guy(or gal) is basically having a psychotic meltdown.

Nah, it's just a child way into their game of pretence.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Castle Radium posted:

I mean someone is drooling to call me a tumblr SJW or whatever for typing this but it seemed cool to have BMO just be a genderless robot that could be he or she depending on mood rather than it being part of being literally insane.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
BMO has had a few occasions so far that straddle the line between childish imagination and serious hallucination.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the whole thing with BMO is he/she doesn't even understand gender and just sort of uses gendered pronouns interchangeably. It's not so much about BMO using the words depending on it's mood but more that BMO is using the words without understanding their meaning to feel more human.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Monday, November 16th

poo poo i thought it was next week :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean someone is drooling to call me a tumblr SJW or whatever for typing this but it seemed cool to have BMO just be a genderless robot that could be he or she depending on mood rather than it being part of being literally insane.

I thought that was canon? Everybody refers to BMO as a different gender, usually with guys referring to it as "him" and gals, "her." It's more affectionate than "it," much in the same way someone refers to their car as a "she." Even BMO stumbled over he/she when referring to itself. It's not a matter of technical correctness, but of emotional personification.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For perpetual child BMO, the difference between imagination, reality, and insanity is not particularly relevant.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh drat I just played Munchkins for the first time last night. Fun game.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The goddamn giant sentient mushroom yelling out mushroom facts while attacking them was just...I don't know, hit me in just the right way and I was laughing so hard I had to pause the episode. It's exactly something this show would do but it's still such a surreal and weird thing for a character like that to even exist. It's like it wandered into the show from some other show's drug trip.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The mushroom facts were really amazing.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
BMO doesn't know poo poo about gently caress. See: BMO singing about the egg they had:

#Oh, oh BMO,
#How'd you get so pregnant?
#Who is the mother, who is the father?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
This entire week feels like a sort of re-introduction to everything and everyone in AT. Which I think is kinda necessary. You have PBB and Marceline reconstructing their relationship with each other, whether that is platonic or romantic, and Bubblegum trying to recreate her life after some serious burnout. Jake & Finn were getting used to being a different kind of knight, and now are freelance/jobless. Football is a fun little introduction to BMO being a weird fun robot kid.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the new season. Hoping for more Canyon to showup as a big sister, and really anticipating what they're going to do with Magic Ma'Am and a depowered and sane Magic Man.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I'm really happy with these new episodes. The Bonnie and Neddie ep was a bit pandering but was still cool and Football was so gawl drat adorable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From the promos it looks like they'll be airing the Staked episodes a half hour at a time Mon-Thur at 8pm EST next week (I'm just assuming the half hour thing because they're only making it a four night event). From the promos it also looks like Finn and Jake are in there too so it's not gonna be a week without them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Das Boo posted:

I thought that was canon? Everybody refers to BMO as a different gender, usually with guys referring to it as "him" and gals, "her." It's more affectionate than "it," much in the same way someone refers to their car as a "she." Even BMO stumbled over he/she when referring to itself. It's not a matter of technical correctness, but of emotional personification.

That is how it's always been, this episode was consistent about calling bmo him and football her and I hate the idea of reducing it to just a split personality thing.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is how it's always been, this episode was consistent about calling bmo him and football her and I hate the idea of reducing it to just a split personality thing.

Pretty sure everyone kept forgetting which one was which, but I can't remember. If not, I don't think it's too crazy for BMO to differentiate between gender for this one imagination/hallucination/ghost session then go back to using whatever next episode.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Guys, BMO is a little machine that's into theater and drama. A natural curiosity and artistic drive with no preconceived notion of gender due to being a box with arms and legs just lets BMO go a little wild with the creative process there, much like a child would. Don't over think it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ramos posted:

Guys, BMO is a little machine that's into theater and drama. A natural curiosity and artistic drive with no preconceived notion of gender due to being a box with arms and legs just lets BMO go a little wild with the creative process there, much like a child would. Don't over think it.

But BMO has many compartments/ports to fill and no antennae that we've been shown, I think this is pretty clear.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Sometimes I wonder how big the overlap is in the Venn diagram between people who need their hands held through TV shows to explain things and people who criticize the same shows for pandering when they do.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
BMO is my spirit animal.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

sticklefifer posted:

The goddamn giant sentient mushroom yelling out mushroom facts while attacking them was just...I don't know, hit me in just the right way and I was laughing so hard I had to pause the episode. It's exactly something this show would do but it's still such a surreal and weird thing for a character like that to even exist. It's like it wandered into the show from some other show's drug trip.

It was especially surreal for me because I was listening to what it was saying, but the closed captioning had completely different dialogue for the mushroom, and ONLY the mushroom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was actually extremely inconsistent for both of them, at one point even alternating in consecutive sentences by the same speaker.

Zebia posted:

It was especially surreal for me because I was listening to what it was saying, but the closed captioning had completely different dialogue for the mushroom, and ONLY the mushroom.

I'm interested in this. Can you provide a transcript?

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Does anyone know the reason why these episodes aren't up on Amazon Instant Video? Was there a falling out between Time Warner and Amazon over them not supporting certain devices any more?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Zebia posted:

Same here. I think it kept going on about kombucha? It was weird.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

foxatee posted:

Same here. I think it kept going on about kombucha? It was weird.

I don't know how these sort of things get made but in my head they are getting a script that reads *Mushroom recites bits from wikipedia* and just filling that in themselves since they don't know what the one is on the show.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't know how these sort of things get made but in my head they are getting a script that reads *Mushroom recites bits from wikipedia* and just filling that in themselves since they don't know what the one is on the show.

According to an interview with Kent Osborne Pen Ward wrote all the Megamush dialogue himself in all caps on the outline while the other writers kept busting up laughing. Plus I know Jesse Moynahan is a big kombucha fan so that is probably where that came from. But it's not made out of mushrooms, just bacteria.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Internet Webguy posted:

According to an interview with Kent Osborne Pen Ward wrote all the Megamush dialogue himself in all caps on the outline while the other writers kept busting up laughing. Plus I know Jesse Moynahan is a big kombucha fan so that is probably where that came from. But it's not made out of mushrooms, just bacteria.

And yeast!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The first couple of episodes of Stakes have been leaked apparently.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
They're great. The new intro for the miniseries is probably my favourite.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The eps are really good.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm really happy that Rebecca Sugar got to do the actual singing for a song :allears:

And yeah the first two eps loving rule.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Andrew_1985 posted:

They're great. The new intro for the miniseries is probably my favourite.

I need a clean outtro.
Wanna avatar dat bat.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Das Boo posted:

I need a clean outtro.
Wanna avatar dat bat.

Same, I want Marceline making demon face at the end.

AlsoKOO got his mushroom :3:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The second two are out... and just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I'm probably not gonna be able to see these until Friday and it'll be hard to keep reminding myself to not click on this topic.

• Locked thread