Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I feel like Toyota has pretty clearly shown that they care more about looking aggressive than actually being fast. Their target demographic is not enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

That fucker could at least have credited us when he rewrote Jim's op-ed: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/10/op-ed-requiring-the-impossible-how-pride-brought-vw-to-its-knees/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

88h88 posted:

A new Supra? Toyota makes these...

They also make the GT86, from this, one can assume that Toyota are in the game of disappointing people... :/

Both the Mirai and the Prius are technological showpieces and are far cooler than the Supra.

If you want a fat GT car BMW alone has half a dozen different models to sell you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
That's the old Prius.

This is the new one:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wheeee posted:

Both the Mirai and the Prius are technological showpieces and are far cooler than the Supra.

:lol:
Look at this fool

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blugu64 posted:

:lol:
Look at this fool

He's right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

From a geeky point of view, the Prius is very fascinating.

I'd totally drive an Auris/Corolla Hybrid Wagon and be happy with it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eyebeem posted:

He's right.

He's right about the Mirai but the Prius hasn't been a tech leader in like 10 years. In the US market they're only now switching away from NiMH batteries for their volume models.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Lithium batteries and regenerative breaking were kind of "geeky" interesting like 10 years ago, now it's pretty old hat. A lot of "geeks" I know are far more interested in older cars they can actually do interesting things to.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Actually forget BMW, if you want a modern Supra, a fat yet fast and decent handling GT that isn't a piece of Eurotrash, you can still get one: The Challenger.

It is also cooler than the Supra.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bbbbut muh fully cast iron Inline 6.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wheeee posted:

If you want a fat GT car BMW alone has half a dozen different models to sell you.

I don't give a poo poo either way, fella... :v:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bbbbut muh fully cast iron Inline 6.

Same but plus my mid 90s emissions regs, lower belt line, lack of traction control and abs

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
In interesting car news

quote:

Ford Performance is watching reaction to the new Focus RS closely before signing off an even quicker limited-run special.

Ford insiders have confirmed that an even more hardcore version of the 345bhp five-door is under consideration - and it has the potential to be the fastest-accelerating hatchback in history.

Ford’s options for bringing extra grip, performance and excitement to the new RS will be delivered mainly through weight saving and upgrading the RS’s drivetrain. This will be possible in a car with an asking price that could even eclipse the £40,000 of the Ford’s premium-branded opposition.

However, the car’s 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol engine is already operating close to its maximum and attempts to conjure more power will be hampered by the lack of room for additional cooling capacity.

Because budget constraints have limited Ford’s weight-saving options with the standard RS, there’s plenty of potential for improving the car’s power-to-weight ratio by adding lightness to a more expensive version.

Polycarbonate glazing, carbonfibre-reinforced plastic bodywork, forged aluminium suspension componentry, carbonfibre brakes, less noise insulation and a stripped-out interior could take upwards of 100kg out of the car - even after the drivetrain additions under consideration have 
been grafted on.

Those additions are likely to consist of an electronically controlled limited-slip differential for the front axle, tuned to work with the GKN-supplied rear drive unit, and 
a dual-clutch automatic gearbox. A limited-slip front-axle differential is already known to improve the RS’s handling and was under consideration for the standard car, an insider has revealed.

The obvious paddle-shift gearbox option would be Ford’s Powershift transmission, supplied by Getrag, but it is currently rated for engines with peak torque of 332lb ft, so it would need some modification.

Ford’s performance targets for the super-heated RS will be to make it quicker over the benchmark 0-62mph sprint than the latest Mercedes-AMG A45 (4.2sec) and the Audi RS3 (4.3sec). The regular RS’s claim (4.7sec) would suggest there’s plenty to do to meet that target, but company insiders have confirmed that even the standard car is much closer to Germany’s big hitters when fitted with optional 19in forged wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 semi-slick tyres.

If the potential is there to make the Focus the first hot hatch since the 2010 Subaru Cosworth Impreza STI CS400 to break the 4.0sec 0-62mph barrier, expect Ford to seize it.

:monocle:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The Ford Focus RS200? :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blugu64 posted:

Same but plus my mid 90s emissions regs, lower belt line, lack of traction control and abs

The 90s Supra had both traction control and ABS

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
From what I've seen in modded ecoboost mustangs Ford should be able to get 400hp out of that engine without stressing the block/tranny . Seems like the real limiting factor is price. 60k for a hatchback?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Mustang 2.3 and FWD 2.3 don't share the same block.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
They don't share the same tranny either but Ford really tends to underrate their drivetrains.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Buhbuhj posted:

They don't share the same tranny either but Ford really tends to underrate their drivetrains.

There was the whole thing where a guy who worked on the AWD system said it was at its limit in its current form. If true they'll start breaking pretty quickly as people tune them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wheeee posted:

Actually forget BMW, if you want a modern Supra, a fat yet fast and decent handling GT that isn't a piece of Eurotrash, you can still get one: The Challenger.

It is also cooler than the Supra.

The last Supra took weight saving quite seriously actually. Even down to using hollow core fibers in the carpets.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

I feel like Toyota has pretty clearly shown that they care more about looking aggressive than actually being fast. Their target demographic is not enthusiasts.

Reminder https://youtu.be/0hXGhVbPD8g

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

Enough about sports cars everybody talks about and nobody buys, here's some real new car news: Bronco's back, bitches.
Been saying they should bring the ranger back for years, so "Yay".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wonder if it's going to be a 95% sized F-150 or a proper small pickup truck

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

it's going to be a 95% sized F-150
Couldn'ta said it better myself.

But it'll probably be cheaper, which wouldn't be difficult considering how ridiculous truck prices are getting these days.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

skipdogg posted:

I can hear the Chevy commercials already.

DON'T WANT A TRUCK THAT IS 5% LESS MANLY? BUY A FULL SIZE CHEVY ITS MADE FROM FREEDOM AND STEEL

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

go3 posted:

I can hear the Chevy commercials already.

DON'T WANT A TRUCK THAT IS 5% LESS MANLY? BUY A FULL SIZE CHEVY ITS MADE FROM FREEDOM AND STEEL

Still the best GM truck ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfyXy1utRcY

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Still the best Dodge commercial :colbert:

https://youtu.be/r-3HEyR-c3M

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

It's going to be the world ranger. Ford is waiting for the TPP to reduce the foreign production percentages so they can ship the world ranger from Thailand and install engines in Detroit to avoid tariffs.

Attention Camaro fans, get your sister's dick out your mouth and listen up.

Alberta's economy is in the dumps and there are 2015 camaros everywhere. They are advertising z/28 special editions for 63k Canadian and v6 camaros for 18k Canadian. That's 47k usd and 13,500 usd.

13,500 for a brand new mulletmobile.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

It's going to be the world ranger. Ford is waiting for the TPP to reduce the foreign production percentages so they can ship the world ranger from Thailand and install engines in Detroit to avoid tariffs.

Attention Camaro fans, get your sister's dick out your mouth and listen up.

Alberta's economy is in the dumps and there are 2015 camaros everywhere. They are advertising z/28 special editions for 63k Canadian and v6 camaros for 18k Canadian. That's 47k usd and 13,500 usd.

13,500 for a brand new mulletmobile.

Holy poo poo

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Or the ZL1's.

I'm looking forward to sitting in the 2016 to see how it feels vs the Mustang. I expect it'll be nice but still too small/impractical overall for someone who can only have one vehicle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

Or the ZL1's.

I'm looking forward to sitting in the 2016 to see how it feels vs the Mustang. I expect it'll be nice but still too small/impractical overall for someone who can only have one vehicle.

You don't deserve a camaro with that attitude.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I bet the fucker doesn't even own a single piece of gold jewelry.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

skipdogg posted:

A 90% F-150 would do just fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Buhbuhj posted:

I guess you would do that, after the AXOD. Except if they're already saying the AWD system maxes that particular unit out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

the best part is iirc that premiered during the world cup match between US and UK.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Hikaki posted:

A minivan is just like a really big four door hatchback. . . We should start calling them maxihatches.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Nice, but missing the subtle imagery of MASSIVE BLACK ERECTION

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

He's right about the Mirai but the Prius hasn't been a tech leader in like 10 years. In the US market they're only now switching away from NiMH batteries for their volume models.

Has anyone been using lithium batteries in non-plug-in hybrids? They weren't quite cost effective for that when the 2010 Prius came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ilkhan posted:

A 90% F-150 would do just fine.

The made in Thailand ranger/mazda is a good truck, especially in diesel and a 3.5 ton tow rating, shame that VW has probably soured the US on diesel though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 14, 2015