Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, after hunting down a fair few of those tattoo magazines it's a bit disappointing that almost all of them are pretty much just the motif stapled right on the forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is it possible to craft lockable doors/gates?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I really wish there was an option to just be like "no thanks I don't want any part in this, I already did my part please give me my quest XP". I mean look at my character's face, even they are like "what is this poo poo I've been roped into". Hell, at least in FO4 they sometimes give you a "I don't want to do that" choice, which in actuality is literally indifferent from saying yes but nope you don't even get that here.

For those that haven't played this quest, I helped a guy solve his problem with his cheating wife and now my options are help the guy she was cheating with kill a bunch of raiders for a bunch of chems or just like, exploit the game mechanics by walking away in mid-conversation and leave the quest half done.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 14, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just want to say thanks to everybody who recommended Idiot Savant, it makes the game so much better not just for the XP boost but for the delighted noises your character makes whenever it happens.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I really wish there was an option to just be like "no thanks I don't want any part in this, I already did my part please give me my quest XP". I mean look at my character's face, even they are like "what is this poo poo I've been roped into". Hell, at least in FO4 they sometimes give you a "I don't want to do that" choice, which in actuality is literally indifferent from saying yes but nope you don't even get that here.

For those that haven't played this quest, I helped a guy solve his problem with his cheating wife and now my options are help the guy she was cheating with kill a bunch of raiders for a bunch of chems or just like, exploit the game mechanics by walking away in mid-conversation and leave the quest half done.

On this quest I couldn't believe how stupidly it was implemented so I chose 'attack Cooke' thinking that there was a small chance it was just a verbal "attack" for being a scumbag, that would lead to either talking him down or actually fighting. It's not that.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Someone make a mod that gives you marking like in phantom pain and also reduces the input lag for the pip boy and I will love you forever

Edit also intscope

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 14, 2015

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

If you're having trouble finding enough ammo, PICK UP EVERY GUN. When you pick up a gun and drop it you take the ammo from it. You get a lot of ammo this way.

Second, I just noticed, are there no gloves in this game? How can I expect to find my son if my fingers are a bit chilly?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Huh. This is kinda interesting.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Codsworth/recognized_names

Codsworth's an obnoxious companion though, he dislikes almost everything, although his taste in hats is pretty okay.

Also I'm pretty sure I caught someone in sanctuary hills whistling a few bars of the theme to Sesame Street.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Working on converting Sunshine Tidings into a lovely little home :3:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I made a modest house for myself on the roof of the barn, acting as a home and as a base of operations. The barn will contain whatever crafting stations I need, with the houses becoming apartments for NPCs and workstations as required. The larger building acts as a dining hall, and the silos have been converted into a wind turbine to power the main building.

Here's the view from the wind turbine. It's got a spiral staircase that is entirely climbable and can act as a sniper perch, giving a good lookout over town.
Can you spot Dogmeat? :3:

And here's a shot from the inside of my house (Decoration under construction), the living room area on the top floor.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 14, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does Danse have any custom dialogue if you come romping up to him in power armour? I was using a side arm and pretty low tech armour, so wasn't sure if there are any easter eggs there.

Also, when would you guys suggest I stop building up a settlement? More for my mental health than anything. I'm constantly expanding Sanctuary and I just can't stop and I'm juggling supply routes and aaaaagh

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

neonbregna posted:

Someone make a mod that gives you marking like in phantom pain and also reduces the input lag for the pip boy and I will love you forever

Edit also intscope

If you have a Recon Scope on your gun it'll let you do just that. You can also add it to your power armor helmet. Can't help with the Pipboy lag, though I've not had any issues with it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I've been mostly ignoring the quests, but I've already sort of run into that when going to Diamond City. Just let me in, why are you deferring everything in the conversation to some random wastelander you just met?!

lobsterminator posted:

If you're having trouble finding enough ammo, PICK UP EVERY GUN. When you pick up a gun and drop it you take the ammo from it. You get a lot of ammo this way.

Second, I just noticed, are there no gloves in this game? How can I expect to find my son if my fingers are a bit chilly?

Really? I had no idea this was a thing and have mostly been ignoring guns I don't need. It might explain why ammo was like a rare precious commodity for most of my early game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Working on converting Sunshine Tidings into a lovely little home :3:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I made a modest house for myself on the roof of the barn, acting as a home and as a base of operations. The barn will contain whatever crafting stations I need, with the houses becoming apartments for NPCs and workstations as required. The larger building acts as a dining hall, and the silos have been converted into a wind turbine to power the main building.

Here's the view from the wind turbine. It's got a spiral staircase that is entirely climbable and can act as a sniper perch, giving a good lookout over town:

And here's a shot from the inside of my house (Decoration under construction), the living room area on the top floor.

Can you spot Dogmeat? :3:

drat, that's nice. I've just been building big ugly metal buildings and plopping crap down all nilly willy in Sanctuary Hills. :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 14, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I fought my toughest enemy so far which killed me many more times than the more lurk queen or jerks flinging explosives. A mutating legendary red mosquito that could stick me through power armor and poisoned me so severely that it drained life faster than stim packs could replenish it.

I'd saved not knowing I was basically cornered. Finally made it out barely alive by sneak attacking with an RPG then firing another missile then several mag dumps while furiously back pedaling.

loving mosquito.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
How do you clear away the old lovely collapsed houses?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bum the Sad posted:

How do you clear away the old lovely collapsed houses?

You can scrap them in build mode?

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
You can just scrap the whole building in workshop mode.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I found a .44 Revolver that never needs to be reloaded. I think I need the Gunslinger Perk now.,

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I really wish putting up some kind of wall counted for defense. I spent a while struggling with the build area of Sunshine Tidings to surround it with walls, but I'm still getting warnings about how undefended it is. I guess they did it to keep people from getting defense for building anything with a wall, but it's silly since now nothing can even get in unless it's through a gate.

I also did a lot of exploring and found a brahmin hanging out on the second story landing of a half blown out house and a bunch of dead yao guai floating in midair.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I killed the mirelurk queen and retook the Castle with Preston and his band of Minutemen NPCs, and of course all I got out of it was "wow good job I can't believe we did that, anyway uhhh I've got some more one-note quests across the game world for you to do". I actually felt insulted. I fought this hard-rear end boss and all Preston had for me was "wow we did it! Anyway back to acting like this literally didn't happen". Thanks, Bethesda. :geno:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

"hey guys, ive got a great idea: lets all line our armor with lead so if that piece of poo poo vault dweller comes through he'll have to ditch half of it" -- a bunch of idiots

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really hope that when winter comes in game it starts snowing. It ain't boston if we don't 12' of snow

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I killed the mirelurk queen and retook the Castle with Preston and his band of Minutemen NPCs, and it was loving hard and of course all I got out of it was "wow good job I can't believe we did that, anyway uhhh I've got some more one-note quests across the game world for you to do". I actually felt insulted. I fought this hard-rear end boss and all Preston had for me was "wow we did it! Anyway back to acting like this literally didn't happen". :geno:

I ran into one of those guys for the one-note quest and I feel like he's just running some kind of extortion scheme. He came to me all frantic because his son had been kidnapped for ransom, I paid the ransom because I thought it would be a quick solution and I could be on my way. He thanked me, then immediately started another dialogue about how his friend had now been kidnapped for ransom and once again I had the option to pay. :wtc:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I really hope that when winter comes in game it starts snowing. It ain't boston if we don't 12' of snow

The glowing radioactive snow that they mentioned in New Vegas. :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So what does building settlements do aside from playing Barbie Dream House? I have kind of entirely avoided it because I am just so flush with ammo and caps from regular misadventure in the world. Is it more vital on harder difficulties?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I'm going to guess that I'm just blind but is there a way to just break down gear and not when you are trying to build something else and need components? I guess I would like to prioritize what I break down for need components so I don't break down something I wanted by accident. I mean I guess I could just move all that important stuff to other storage but I still would like an answer to the question anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It doesn't, but NPCs do put up christmas lights and christmas trees and start talking about the holidays and stuff! Which is kind of cool, at least.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't think this is something that happens but now that I think about it, they really should've done it. would've been a cool transition you notice when entering endgame

they probably had some snow tech lying around from Skyrim anyway

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's a quick question I stumbled onto a sewer in the fens. In it there's a holotape at the entrance that talks about a detective. Is that detective Nick? Would he have special dialogue or scenes if he was brought to this place? Or is that thinking too hard about this?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So uh is there any point to the settlement system? Let me be a little more specific: if I put resources/perks/time into settlements, will I gain anything out of it? It seems like I can make new vendors who I'd be able to sell too and of course have more convenient workbenches to drop off my junk, is that it? Do the vendors have anything unique/interesting? Will settlements be able to produce materials I can use for mods? I've only done a few minuteman quests and while I like the idea it seems like just another way to spend resources and gain exp and I'd rather save them up right now for things that will help me kill more and be killed less

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The unlock fps thing is sad times. You just cannot pick locks with an unlocked FPS since just rendering that lock will cause your FPS to shoot through the roof no matter what kind of system you have.

I went ahead and relocked it but it made me remember of a game way back when that had the same issue where if you rendered it too fast, strange things in the game would happen BUT a side program was made to provide a hotkey to artificially reduce your FPS/performance to seem "normal". It just might have been Oblivion or another Gamebyro game, but it might have been something else.

I understand why they locked the game though. A lot of Skyrim speed runs requires you to take advantage of the wierdness at high levels of FPS it causes to allow you to use a platter to warp through walls.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm going to guess that I'm just blind but is there a way to just break down gear and not when you are trying to build something else and need components? I guess I would like to prioritize what I break down for need components so I don't break down something I wanted by accident. I mean I guess I could just move all that important stuff to other storage but I still would like an answer to the question anyway.

You can drop items on the ground and then scrap them manually in workshop mode. I don't know if you get the same components that way or not so pay attention to that before you scrap anything really valuable or rare. It's also tedious as gently caress if you have a lot of small things to scrap.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Starhawk64 posted:

I found a .44 Revolver that never needs to be reloaded. I think I need the Gunslinger Perk now.,

As a career Gunslinger - was this a random drop, or did you find it in the world or on a vendor?

That sounds like Definitely My poo poo, with the caveat that you get another pretty good .44 as a guaranteed drop about halfway through the main quest.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
I'm really enjoying the gameplay part of the game, settlement building and gun crafting are extremely my poo poo and I've sunk hours into both, but the roleplaying in this is loving dire. I actually like the voiced dialogue from the PC but whenever she starts droning on about her baby I just cringe. It's especially jarring in contrast to the little bit of personality I've been able to carve out for her with the lack of roleplaying opportunities. She's generally abrasive and just looking to score some caps but whenever that drat babby gets brought up she turns right back into hysterical mother. It sucks, I was looking forward to seeing if they could do something interesting with the voiced dialogue, but Bethesda just does not have writers that understand player agency, motivation or replayability.

Can't wait for alternate start mods that get rid of all that babby hunting bullshit.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

It's the former (obviously) but there's a point of no return where one locks you out of another

What are the points of no return?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

As a career Gunslinger - was this a random drop, or did you find it in the world or on a vendor?

That sounds like Definitely My poo poo, with the caveat that you get another pretty good .44 as a guaranteed drop about halfway through the main quest.

I found a really nice snub nosed .44 revolver in one of those unmarked "scenes" Bethesda likes to put in the world. Not a legendary or anything but it does a lot of damage. Seemed like something that would always be there since I was pretty low level at the time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Legendary enemy drop. This new loot system is so unrealistic but in a good way, I love finding wacky and unique modifiers on guns.

Soral
May 30, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I know, I already did the quest and he's Confident Guy now. I'm just wondering why anyone would want to leave the DJ the way he was, both because the character is pitiful to the point you should want to help him and it makes the radio better (for me anyways).

This isn't a Rhonda/Best Friend Tabitha thing where you just lose the whole station and miss out on great banter, the pre-confidence DJ is bad. He's so deliberately bad and unfunny and awkward and that's the entire point.

actually the pre-confidence dj is endearing and funny and the post-confidence dj is annoying and boring and every time he talks about how he "made the choice to be coooool" it makes me want to murk him with extreme prejudice

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Has anyone figured out what to do at the galleria??

I found the password in the overseer's room, the password in the terminal, but I can't seem to do anything else. I just get attacked because I can't pass the charisma checks.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Soral posted:

actually the pre-confidence dj is endearing and funny and the post-confidence dj is annoying and boring and every time he talks about how he "made the choice to be coooool" it makes me want to murk him with extreme prejudice

Maybe it's like Fallout 3 and you can kill him so the replacement DJ will just talk about what how your character is a murderous rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

Maybe it's like Fallout 3 and you can kill him so the replacement DJ will just talk about what how your character is a murderous rear end in a top hat.
Worse.
they replace him with an annoying child

• Locked thread