Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

GalacticAcid posted:

There's a certain breed of lovely liberal who thinks "reTHUGlicans" is a sick burn. This breed tends to congregate in the comment section of The Progressive and also fear GMOs.

Repugnantcans, get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Repukelicans you obummerdungo voters.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Bu$hitler

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ameriKKKan $hrub

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean if you don't mind sounding like right wing talk radio whatever it's not my affair.

It only sounds like that to people who indulge in that media is what he's saying. Normal people don't notice or care.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Democrat Party sounds loving stupid, something you can say with a sneer. Democratic Party sounds good.

The original was bureaucRAT, I misremembered it as DemocRAT.

Straight :lol: that the argument was over Gore's plan to add a prescription drug benefit to Medicare. Definitely :ironicat: in hindsight.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
They're called Regressives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hitlery KKKlinton.

Bernie Sanders more like Bernie PANDERS amirite

Actually, what sort of cheap digs did Bill Clinton get?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slick Willie.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

moller posted:

Slick Willie.
That's practically complimentary

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Democrat Party sounds loving stupid, something you can say with a sneer. Democratic Party sounds good.
That's because the only way "Democrat Party" makes grammatical sense is if it is a name or label. People will subconsciously interpret it as only a branding name, and not apply any positive association they might have with the word "democratic" to the party, like they would if they used the adjectival form "Democratic Party" (because then it is not interpreted as merely a name or label, but a description of the party). The Republicans are immune because "republican" is both the noun and adjective form of the word.

However, I don't think it's effective anyway, because the perpetual campaign and horse race has probably eroded any positive mental associations most people had with either the words "democratic" or "republican", and they now just associate those words directly with the political parties.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

JT Jag posted:

That's practically complimentary

I generally hear it used as such.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

moller posted:

Slick Willie.

John Mulaney's newest stand up special spends almost the entire last third of it discussing his parents' relationship to Bill Clinton, and it is loving hilarious how believable it all is despite seeming so comedically hyperbolic.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chubby Chaser.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a thread for tonight's debate: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751485

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean if you don't mind sounding like right wing talk radio whatever it's not my affair.

It only sounds like right wing talk radio to people who are obsessive about right wing talk radio. Normal people say it all the time, and only Republicans (who think anything related to being left of hitler is bad) and people who are obsessive about right wing media (like you, apparently) get offended by it. The rest of the population doesn't think of it as an insult in the least.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This is the dumbest argument of all time, but "Democratic Party" maintains iambic rhythm and "DemoCRAT PARty" does not.

It doesn't have any electoral ramifications, but it sounds worse to the ear so right wingers like to say it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

When I was a student a few years ago, my college tried to institute a bimonthly "Meatless Monday" at one dining hall (of two) on campus as a carbon footprint experiment. Within about 12 hours, a collective of white dudes had counter-protests going. People's property got defaced with raw meat and somebody scrawled racial and sexual epithets on one of the organizers' (female of color) door. By the end of the week, some of these guys had been interviewed by the WSJ and (I believe) FOX News and some radio stations as a textbook example of college liberalism run amok and oppressing rights (did I mention that meat was still amply on the menu everywhere but in that one dining hall?). By that point, the school folded and decided that the negative attention wasn't worth it.

Meat owns though, and everyone knows it. Since we're trading anecdotes, the only vegan I knew was also a white guy and he was militant about it. He got catty and eventually abusive with a very sweet girl because she wouldn't adopt his dietary habits.

Maybe if you want to have Meatless Mondays you can have a campaign to convince students of its merits rather than imposing it on them? We get 10 feet of snowfall, nobody wants to walk across campus just for the hell of it.

Overall it's kinda revealing that you raise this in response to students protesting systems of racism on campus. Militant vegans are basically the "abortion is murder!" crowd of the left. Nobody is oppressing you by eating meat in your presence. Fish, chicken, and pork aren't even particularly carbon-intensive.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 14, 2015

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Paul MaudDib posted:

Meat owns though, and everyone knows it. Since we're trading anecdotes, the only vegan I knew was a white guy and he was militant about it. He got catty and eventually abusive with a very sweet girl because she wouldn't adopt his dietary habits.

Maybe if you want to have Meatless Mondays you can have a campaign to convince students of its merits rather than imposing it on them? We get 10 feet of snowfall, nobody wants to walk across campus just for the hell of it.

Meat is cool, but nobody is gonna loving die if you can't eat a hamburger one day of the week.

"Oh no, there wasn't bacon with my eggs, alas I shall perish from this mortal coil" - A Big loving Babby

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I agree. Personally I think a rational response to people trying to impose vegetarianism at one of many dining halls is death threats and racial epithets because bacon is awesome. I also believe vegans are just as bad as people carrying sandwich boards of aborted fetuses because bacon.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Paul MaudDib posted:

Meat owns though, and everyone knows it. Since we're trading anecdotes, the only vegan I knew was a white guy and he was militant about it. He got catty and eventually abusive with a very sweet girl because she wouldn't adopt his dietary habits.

Did you miss the wrote racial and sexist slurs on their door. Like vegans can be annoying but walking maybe 3 minutes across campus does not excuse that. And also that's kind of the point of this thing was to convince people like here try this. It's bi monthly so it doesn't even happen that often. Like this is some pretty textbook poo poo wrong with America on both sides but one side really really wanted to prove their point.

edit: Campuses are also surrounded by food places so it makes it even more pointless.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Something like that is going to get a reaction because it's imposing your ideology on people in a tangible way that they don't like. People aren't upset 'meatless monday' is an option, they're upset someone's trying to mandate it. Doesn't justify racial epithets or the like but it's definitely something that you can expect a pushback on and frankly the pushback is correct.

SirKibbles posted:

Did you miss the wrote racial and sexist slurs on their door. Like vegans can be annoying but walking maybe 3 minutes across campus does not excuse that. And also that's kind of the point of this thing was to convince people like here try this. It's bi monthly so it doesn't even happen that often. Like this is some pretty textbook poo poo wrong with America on both sides but one side really really wanted to prove their point.

edit: Campuses are also surrounded by food places so it makes it even more pointless.

By making the entire dining hall meatless, you're not trying to convince people to try it: you're trying to coerce them to try it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Subjects it is impossible to discuss rationally with most Americans: guns, bacon,...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we are making every other sunday in one of the two dining halls Sermon Sunday, where the local southern baptist preacher will be preaching a sermon

if you don't like it just go somewhere else what's the big deal :confused:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My university started Meatless Mondays at I think all the dining halls and I don't remember any real reaction to it? (UC Riverside)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

Something like that is going to get a reaction because it's imposing your ideology on people in a tangible way that they don't like. People aren't upset 'meatless monday' is an option, they're upset someone's trying to mandate it. Doesn't justify racial epithets or the like but it's definitely something that you can expect a pushback on and frankly the pushback is correct.

By making the entire dining hall meatless, you're not trying to convince people to try it: you're trying to coerce them to try it.

For two Mondays a month? One of my dining halls had lovely theme dinners roughly that often, was I being coerced into Tacos?

evilweasel posted:

we are making every other sunday in one of the two dining halls Sermon Sunday, where the local southern baptist preacher will be preaching a sermon

if you don't like it just go somewhere else what's the big deal :confused:

Yeah and you know who else hated meat? HITLER.

Are you better than this evil? I remember you being better than this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

farraday posted:

For two Mondays a month? One of my dining halls had lovely theme dinners roughly that often, was I being coerced into Tacos?

Yes. You should have threatened to bomb it if they didn't reintroduce white people food.

I want to make an anarchy coercion violence joke but I don't know how to word it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 14, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Over breaks here, you can only eat at the kosher dining hall because everything else is closed down. One day no milk, the other no meat. Literally no one gives a poo poo other than typical complaining about campus food.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Goddamn I didn't realize it was that big of a deal to not have meat with one meal. I do that all the time, primarily because I'm broke.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

Yeah and you know who else hated meat? HITLER.

Are you better than this evil? I remember you being better than this.

I don't get offended by vegetarians or anything but I'd be annoyed too if someone tried to impose it on me, just like anyone else would be annoyed if someone tried to impose an ideology on them. There's such an easy alternative that certainly exists: the cafeteria serves a vegetarian option every day. I'm quite serious with my comparison - it's not that you're trying to get people to try it, it's that you're trying to force people to try it and "well you can just go somewhere else!" is a dodge we don't tolerate in other contexts.

It's certainly not going to justify lovely stuff like fox news, racial epithets, and the like but I'd be mad too and trying to pretend people have no basis to be mad is nuts.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Goddamn I didn't realize it was that big of a deal to not have meat with one meal. I do that all the time, primarily because I'm broke.

I eat plenty of meals without meat, but I wouldn't appreciate you telling me I'm not allowed to eat meat with a particular meal because you don't approve of meat.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

How is this coercion in anyway unless you're using some weird libertarian definition of it Unless the other dining hall is way the hell on the other side of campus and even then campuses are littered with cheap food places surrounding them in even the tiniest of community colleges and on top of that it's bi monthly so I'm going to assume it's 2 Monday's a month because otherwise holy poo poo.

Also

farraday posted:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Luigi Thirty posted:

I agree. Personally I think a rational response to people trying to impose vegetarianism at one of many dining halls is death threats and racial epithets because bacon is awesome.

It's not cool but it's also not a particularly surprising response.

Food is a basic human need and people react strongly to it - what's the saying, "every society is only three meals away from revolution"? That's particularly true of staple or touchstone foods for a culture. Students are stressed and overworked as it is - I can remember sitting down and eating some comfort food for dinner being the high point of many days. If you mess with that, people will push back.

Not that racism on campus is good by any means, but this didn't exactly start the whole problem in the first place. Fratboys and college republicans have been doing racist and offensive things on campus since forever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
While we're at it, maybe students should hurl racial epithets and poo poo swastikas everywhere over having lovely food imposed on them by dining halls 24/7. :rolleyes:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

evilweasel posted:

I eat plenty of meals without meat, but I wouldn't appreciate you telling me I'm not allowed to eat meat with a particular meal because you don't approve of meat.

I just don't consider meat a requirement for a meal to be complete? Like if they don't serve broccoli for one meal out of the full week, I'm not gonna assume the dining hall doesn't approve of broccoli.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

I don't get offended by vegetarians or anything but I'd be annoyed too if someone tried to impose it on me, just like anyone else would be annoyed if someone tried to impose an ideology on them. There's such an easy alternative that certainly exists: the cafeteria serves a vegetarian option every day. I'm quite serious with my comparison - it's not that you're trying to get people to try it, it's that you're trying to force people to try it and "well you can just go somewhere else!" is a dodge we don't tolerate in other contexts.

It's certainly not going to justify lovely stuff like fox news, racial epithets, and the like but I'd be mad too and trying to pretend people have no basis to be mad is nuts.

Your comparison is stupid and if you thought about it for more than the 2 seconds it took to write it down you'd realize having a vegetarian day is not the same as having someone preach to you while you eat either about the saving hand of Jesus Christ or that meat is murder.

Of course now that you've decided to carry your spare rib up this bacon wrapped Golgotha it may be difficult to talk you back down.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SirKibbles posted:

How is this coercion in anyway unless you're using some weird libertarian definition of it Unless the other dining hall is way the hell on the other side of campus and even then campuses are littered with cheap food places surrounding them in even the tiniest of community colleges and on top of that it's bi monthly so I'm going to assume it's 2 Monday's a month because otherwise holy poo poo.

Also

It's a pretty standard definition of it: you are deliberately making it more difficult to not comply. The distinction is between that and what someone was suggesting this was - an attempt to 'convince' people. You're making it either more expensive or more inconvenient for people to do what they want. If you're trying to convince people, you convince the dining hall to make an effort to have good vegetarian dishes that people may choose over the other options, not having the dining hall remove the other options.

People can easily see through that and be annoyed by it, and they're right to be annoyed. I am not defending anyone who was a shithead over it, nor do I need to. But it's baffling to me how much difficulty people are having in understanding why people are right to be annoyed at this when it's pretty much the definition of pushing your ideology on people - in a mild form, but in a very unmistakable form as well.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I went to a Jesuit University, so Fridays in Lent were partially meatless. And it wasn't even fully meatless, there were a ton of ways to get meat from dining services, just that the usual entrees were fish entrees, plus a rice and beans dish as part of a sustainability challenge-thing.

Students flipped poo poo every year. Americans are unbelievably stupid when it comes to their God-given birthright to have access to meat at all times.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

farraday posted:

Your comparison is stupid and if you thought about it for more than the 2 seconds it took to write it down you'd realize having a vegetarian day is not the same as having someone preach to you while you eat either about the saving hand of Jesus Christ or that meat is murder.

Of course now that you've decided to carry your spare rib up this bacon wrapped Golgotha it may be difficult to talk you back down.

He's a goon face it we're the weirdos here. Meat is a commandment and bacon is it's prophet here.

Praise be to spare ribs, use not garbage non mustard based sauces

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

farraday posted:

In what way is it different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

It's an attempt to push your ideology and trying to justify it by saying that you can go out of your way to avoid it. It's precisely on point: it is more obvious, but that's the point of a comparison - to draw out the issues that are being obscured. The "difference" here is you're fine with one but the other one (because I selected it to be) irritates you. That's the point of the comparison: to swap the ideology that you support with the one you oppose.

Hell, just have the sermon printed on the napkins. You'll still be annoyed and "well just go to the non-christian dining hall!!!" will not be a reasonable response to your irritation.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I just don't consider meat a requirement for a meal to be complete? Like if they don't serve broccoli for one meal out of the full week, I'm not gonna assume the dining hall doesn't approve of broccoli.

Sure. But it's not like we've found the dining hall serving a meatless meal for no reason and we're wondering if it's because vegetarians pushed for meat to be removed. We are discussing a case where that was the entire point.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 14, 2015

• Locked thread