Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

jsoh posted:

im certain that the islamic state has more to do with twenty plus years of western interests intentionally destabilizing the middle east than it does with religion. the important part of it is that there are people there with different religions than eachother which lead to them hating eachother , not what each of those religions is i think

As if. Islamic extremism can only be purged by fire. Intervention destabilizing the region and allowing extremism to flourish is plain poppy cock. We need to root these scum from their hovels with force. Any time an imam calls to prayer in Isis territory there should be a drone waiting..From the ashes of this region purged of the influence of Islam will rise a secular Phoenix to guide the middle east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

You can be against interventions without letting geopolitics totally absolve religious teachings for the role they played. The west helped create IS by its interventions, but that doesn't make Islam irrelevant to what happened anymore than Christianity being irrelevant to treatment of LGBT people in Uganda and East Africa, despite colonialism having a big influence on that, too! The accounts I've heard seem to point to homegrown anyway, so geopolitics are an indirect cause at best. Radicalization still took the route of targeting a person's religion to turn them against their neighbors.*

*and of course disenfranchisement is a part of that to, but not every disenfranchised person targets civilians.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

I too am a self-hating white person! I need to be be punished, it makes me very hard!

I know you get very emotional here when these kinds of things happen, but please remember that you don't have to post stupid embarrassing poo poo like this.

Remember to breathe, PT6A.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Do the people calling for war also support the fifty years of nation building that's needed too?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Odobenidae posted:

I know you get very emotional here when these kinds of things happen, but please remember that you don't have to post stupid embarrassing poo poo like this.

Embarrassing? What on earth do I have to be embarrassed about? I'm not called to victim-blaming based on pathological white guilt, gently caress me right?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Evis posted:

Do the people calling for war also support the fifty years of nation building that's needed too?

Do people who are anti-abortionists support the building of social safety nets for unexpected children?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sedge and Bee posted:

You can be against interventions without letting geopolitics totally absolve religious teachings for the role they played. The west helped create IS by its interventions, but that doesn't make Islam irrelevant to what happened anymore than Christianity being irrelevant to treatment of LGBT people in Uganda and East Africa, despite colonialism having a big influence on that, too! The accounts I've heard seem to point to homegrown anyway, so geopolitics are an indirect cause at best. Radicalization still took the route of targeting a person's religion to turn them against their neighbors.*

*and of course disenfranchisement is a part of that to, but not every disenfranchised person targets civilians.

Do you posit that regressive warlords would not have sprung up in the region had the majority religion been different but geopolitical influences remained the same? Do you think there is something unique to the beliefs of Islam that is fueling Isis expansion?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Not unique to Islam, but the power of Islam in middle eastern society allowed the regressive ideas it (and many other religions) contains to fuel conflict and sectarian violence. And geopolitics is inextricably linked to dominant religions, from the cultural chauvinism and orientalism of Europe when it was dividing the region up, to Saudi Arabia's promotion and use of Wahabism as a way of countering Iran (another geopolitical conflict implicating religion). I don't hate Islam, I find that religion itself as a social influence, whatever form it takes, is overall a negative and destabilizing element. I don't value its contributions and would like to see it eventually be relegated to history.

E: that's like asking if there's something unique to Christianity that allows the Catholic Church to gently caress up family planning programs in developing countries. Nothing other than the influence it wields.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 14, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress Saudi Arabia in the rear end. That is all. We should deny every single visa application from the KSA and its citizens (except under refugee criteria), including an absolute prohibition on any Saudi royal entering the country under any circumstance, until they reach the 21st century.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
agreed, we should attempt to destabilize another middle eastern country because ??????????????????????????????

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

jsoh posted:

agreed, we should attempt to destabilize another middle eastern country because ??????????????????????????????

Because white people think that they can solve all of the world's problems.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I was being glib before. I don't favor interventions as a solution to anything. Especially if they don't involve taking out the Vatican.

I really hope Article 5 doesn't get invoked because it won't solve anything in Syria and Iraq, and other groups area already learning from IS recruiting tactics, so radicalization will not go away even if/when IS is decisively defeated. To say nothing of what a loving international relations nightmare dealing with Russian operations in support of Assad would be.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 14, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jsoh posted:

Remind me again how preventing Saudis from leaving their medieval shithole to come to our country is "destabilizing" them, please. Remind me how the nation that's sentenced Raif Badawi to flogging deserves anything but the utmost contempt. Or we could talk about the domestic workers who have their limbs severed with the perpetrators protected by the corrupt, criminal Saudi government.

gently caress that country; we should not accept anything but refugees from it. We should treat them as beneath contempt, and recognize that such is still better than they deserve.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

When you say accept nothing from them do you mean embargo? Do you not think isolating a nation like that would cause instability.?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
i think we should start small, maybe set up some kind of tip line so i can report these kinds of barbaric cultural practices, then we can really figure out a plan of action.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

We could start by not selling them billions of dollars in weaponry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flashman posted:

When you say accept nothing from them do you mean embargo? Do you not think isolating a nation like that would cause instability.?

How much worse can it get? They behead and crucify people. What's the risk -- that Daesh takes over and does basically the same thing? They might produce terrorists? Saudis were already responsible for 9/11, and they've long funded any number of terrorist groups under flimsy pretences. loving the house of Saud up the rear end with a broom handle would be a boon for the planet, at this point.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I think you'll find that things can get much worse especially for the people who live there!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
what could be worse than saddam hussein ? he gassed his own citizens and killed thousands. oh wait lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

That is all.

Oh, but if only

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

jsoh posted:

im certain that the islamic state has more to do with twenty plus years of western interests intentionally destabilizing the middle east than it does with religion

I think you're off by about a century on that estimate, and certainly more if you include Egypt/Suez.

Actually I have to share this hilarious bit of European dickwaving from Wikipedia:

quote:

The canal opened under French control on 17 November 1869. Although numerous technical, political, and financial problems had been overcome, the final cost was more than double the original estimate. The opening was performed by Khedive Isma'il Pasha of Egypt and Sudan, and at Ismail's invitation French Empress Eugenie in the Imperial yacht Aigle piloted by Napoléon Coste, who was bestowed by the Khedive the Ottoman Order of the Medjidie. The first ship through the canal was the British P&O liner Delta.[54][55] Although L'Aigle was officially the first vessel through the canal, HMS Newport, captained by George Nares, passed through it first. On the night before the canal was due to open, Captain Nares navigated his vessel, in total darkness and without lights, through the mass of waiting ships until it was in front of L'Aigle. When dawn broke, the French were horrified to find that the Royal Navy was first in line and that it would be impossible to pass them. Nares received both an official reprimand and an unofficial vote of thanks from the Admiralty for his actions in promoting British interests and for demonstrating such superb seamanship.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I just finished catching up from about Wednesday, thanks canpol thread, for the glorious sight that was jm20 asking a lawyer to post IANAL (and asking for canlii links while he posts media poo poo) and the glory that was swagger trying desperately to score cheap points as people die in France.

Why the gently caress do I bother reading this poo poo. Then again Helsing is generally quality posting, BoD is pretty amusing, and PT6A occasionally glimmers. Also CI, whatever that is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

You can tell when PT6A has been drinking and posting because he becomes the thread equivalent to that guy that no one really likes who gets really drunk at the party and gets embarrassingly drunk and everyone whispers about them

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 14, 2015

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
The vindictive frothing at the mouth is a bit extreme.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Colour me surprised and impressed. I was half expecting Paris to be on fire last night. I'm glad that didn't happen.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I also look forward to the >130 civilian deaths in Syria and Iraq that will no doubt result from our continued cycle of revenge.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Baudin posted:

I just finished catching up from about Wednesday, thanks canpol thread, for the glorious sight that was jm20 asking a lawyer to post IANAL (and asking for canlii links while he posts media poo poo) and the glory that was swagger trying desperately to score cheap points as people die in France.

Why the gently caress do I bother reading this poo poo. Then again Helsing is generally quality posting, BoD is pretty amusing, and PT6A occasionally glimmers. Also CI, whatever that is.

I hope by amusing you mean that in a good way.

Anyways guys I am about to crack open my email inbox. I may be gone a couple days.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
From a Canadian context, since this is still a CanPol thread, let's remember that our military is in very very poor shape and even if we do decide to do an abrupt about-turn and not withdraw our forces from Syria, they make very little difference there. On the other hand, we do have a fairly well developed humanitarian relief system that could help ameliorate the suffering of the millions of displaced people in and outside of Syria, and a safe society that can welcome Syrian refugees. If you ask me, we should probably be leaving the military stuff to countries that actually have a strong capacity to act on that, like France and the United States, and we should instead be focusing our efforts on relieving the suffering of the Syrian civilian population, especially since this is theoretically something military powers like France and the US would be doing anyway so we can still be lightening their workload and allowing them to focus slightly more on the military mission that everyone has a hardon for. Division of labour and specialization is a thing outside of economics, and this is a case where our specialization is really not in the application of military force.

Also, friendly reminder that if anyone you know starts spouting off about how the Paris attack means we shouldn't be allowing Syrian refugees into Canada, probably the best response you can make is to point out that trying to get away from men like that is exactly the reason these refugees are fleeing Syria in the first place. If we're scared for ourselves in a safe country like Canada, imagine how afraid the refugees must feel having lost their homes, their friends, their family members, and their belongings, and try to feel some empathy for them by imagining how amazing it must be to be granted a new home in a country where you no longer have to fear for your life on a daily basis.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also, in more domestic news, Canada will not be setting new emissions targets ahead of the Paris talks.

quote:

Canada will not go to the Paris climate change talks with a new target, or a concrete framework to reduce carbon emissions, according to Catherine McKenna, the minister for the environment and climate change.

"People are looking at what Canada is going to commit to," McKenna said in an interview with Chris Hall on CBC Radio's The House. "But we're not negotiating targets at this meeting, what we've said is that in 90 days after this meeting, we're going to work with the provinces and territories to come up with our target but also what our plan is to get there."

The Conservatives announced in May that Canada's contribution to this year's Paris talks would be a 30 per cent cut in greenhouse gas emissions below 2005 levels by the year 2030.

Canada, however, is currently not on track to meet its existing 2020 cuts agree to under the 2009 Copenhagen accord, and the Harper government did not provide any policies to meet the more ambitious 2030 goal.

"You can't just come up with targets out of thin air," McKenna said.

"The Conservative target is a floor not a ceiling, but you have to do the hard work to figure out — how do we change our economy and move to a low carbon economy?"

"Some people want us to announce a new target [pre-Paris climate talks] but that's not a responsible way," McKenna said.

"Canadians want us to act in a responsible way and that's why we will come back and look at how we're going to get a target and how we're going to actually reach the target."

Canadian governments — Liberal and Conservative alike — have previously agreed to international carbon cuts, but failed to implement the policies needed to reach those targets. The Conservatives, for instance, failed to regulate the oil and gas sector despite promising to do so for the better part of a decade.

"I'm optimistic that we will be able to work together," McKenna said of the provinces and business community.

"We have even heard from energy companies: they recognize if they want to get their resources to market we're going to have to demonstrate for all projects that we're able to do it in a responsible, environmentally sustainable way.

"The economy and the environment have to go together," McKenna said.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sedge and Bee posted:

We could start by not selling them billions of dollars in weaponry.

woah woah woah what about the jobs

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Count Roland posted:

woah woah woah what about the jobs

I can't be the only one who finds it dryly amusing we're selling arms to another country when we're so utterly inept at buying them for ourselves.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

No, clearly not. I'm saying we should support the government of Al-Sisi against the fundamentally anti-democratic regime of Morsi.

Oh seems like a missed some incisive analysis last night.

lol at calling Morsi the undemocratic one when Sisi came to power in a coup, jailed and banned the opposition and won unfair elections with 96% of the vote. Truly a force for democracy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Oh seems like a missed some incisive analysis last night.

lol at calling Morsi the undemocratic one when Sisi came to power in a coup, jailed and banned the opposition and won unfair elections with 96% of the vote. Truly a force for democracy.

Theocracy is inherently anti-democratic and fundamentally incompatible with any notion of a free society, regardless of how it gained power in the first place.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Morsi was a heavy-handed theocratic rear end in a top hat but uh I'm not sure I'd compare his regime to widespread factional violence in Lybia, the insurgency in Afghanistan, or ISIS in Iraq/Syria. Maybe I'm naive but Egypt looked like it was on its way to developing a culture of democracy (with large scale protests against military rule followed by large scale protests against theocracy) until Sisi put a stop to all that nonsense.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
WATCH TRUDEAU START A loving WAR

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

Theocracy is inherently anti-democratic and fundamentally incompatible with any notion of a free society, regardless of how it gained power in the first place.

So are military dictatorships. The difference is that secular military dictatorships are better aligned with the West's political interests.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I hope by amusing you mean that in a good way.

Anyways guys I am about to crack open my email inbox. I may be gone a couple days.

Of course I do. Considering your Quixotic quest to carry the liberal brand in the thread for quite some time I'm particularly in favor of your posting.

God bless you in your journeys to the email mines where all the racist and sexist trolls live. :canada:

PT6A posted:

Yea, sure, but I hate to tell you this: Morsi wasn't leading a theocracy, he led an Islamist party within a democratic system. A party that Sisi then made illegal and began jailing members of. This is pretty directly related to the conflicts in Sinai - his heavy handed rule is driving away portions of society.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 14, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Gwynne Dyer published a book recently about the issues we're talking about and unlike his last couple of books, this one, by all the reviews so far, seems solid.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Thought this was worth sharing: The Firewall From the Other Side: The past and future of Stephen Harper’s agenda

quote:

It didn’t take long for the new Liberal government in Ottawa to start undoing the changes Stephen Harper made to the way the country is run over his nine years as prime minister. Many of these changes were in the tone and style of governance: Trudeau unmuzzled scientists, said nice things to public servants, promised more access and openness to journalists. From coast to coast to coast, bowling scores are up sharply, and mini-put scores are way down.

Trudeau also took a few quick steps to reverse some of Harper’s key policies. Most notably, he immediately reinstated the mandatory long-form census, barely in time for the 2016 survey. Interestingly, the minister who oversaw the cancelling of the mandatory census, Tony Clement, could not bring himself to criticize Trudeau’s move last week, saying that in retrospect “I think I would have done it differently.” (On a related note: Conservative interim leader Rona Ambrose has come out in favour of an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women. We may discover that not a single member of Harper’s cabinet supported anything they did).

Yet as Paul Wells (the country’s most insightful chronicler and analyst of the Harper years) has argued at some length, Harper’s agenda was to a large extent about simply being in power. The longer he was in power, the longer Canadians had to get used to the idea of a Conservative government, and to get used to the changes he had made, to the point where they would eventually seem like just part of the furniture of the world. And so while it might be all champagne and high-fives in the salons of High Laurentia right now, it will take more than a census and sunny ways to roll back the clock on the Harper decade.

And so for the Liberals and their supporters, they key to undoing the Harper agenda is understanding just what that agenda was in the first place. And here’s a hint: It wasn’t social conservatism. It wasn’t militarism. Nor was it to merely torment the Eastern swells (though that was probably seen as a pleasant after-effect). No, to see what Harper was up to, and to grasp how effective he was, it’s necessary to go back to the most important document he wrote before become prime minister, the infamous “firewall letter”.

The firewall letter was conceived in the aftermath of the 2000 federal election, in which Jean Chretien won a third majority principally by convincing Ontarians that Albertans were untrustworthy.

Addressed to Alberta premier Ralph Klein and signed by six people (including Harper and his then-key advisor Tom Flanagan), it was a plea for Alberta to take charge of its own future and to carve out a place for itself in Confederation, using its existing constitutional powers, that would insulate the province from an “increasingly hostile government in Ottawa.” The letter’s proposals included creating a provincial pension plan (like the QPP); a provincial police force (like the SQ or OPP); collecting its own provincial income tax (as Quebec does); forcing Senate reform back on to the national agenda; and take over complete provincial responsibility for health care.

Apart from this list, the letter demanded that Klein do whatever he could to reduce the transfer system that saw Alberta send $8 billion a year to other parts of the country. In its concluding paragraph, the letter says “It is imperative to take the initiative, to build firewalls around Alberta, to limit the extent to which an aggressive and hostile federal government can encroach upon legitimate provincial jurisdiction.”

According to Tom Flanagan, the idea behind the letter was entirely Harper’s. Yet it is worth noting the contrast between the inflammatory anti-Ottawa rhetoric and the actual demands, which are, looking back, extremely mild (the effect of implementing all of them, aside from the question of transfers, would be to make Alberta more like Quebec than Saskatchewan, though even these relatively mild demands were ignored by Klein.)

If you’re Stephen Harper, you would draw a number of conclusions from this episode. For starters, you would take note of the fact that the great mass of Canadian opinion – even inside Alberta – had little time for explicit talk of provinces building firewalls. Albertans are amongst the most patriotic people in the country, and it is little wonder that a pitch suggesting they should act more like Quebecers did not go over so well.

More importantly, Harper also probably realized, even as he was drafting the letter, how little the province could do, using its own powers, to protect itself from the sorts of things that Liberal Ottawa was inclined to do. Because here’s the thing: To someone with Harper’s ideological convictions, what is truly offensive about Liberal-run Ottawa is not that it controls the Mounties or the CPP or collects Alberta’s income tax. It is that it is inclined to use its capacities to engage in large-scale, centralized social planning (or social engineering, to use the invidious terminology).

And so Stephen Harper probably realized that to properly protect Alberta from an “aggressive and hostile” – that is, socialist – federal government, he would have to go to Ottawa. There, pulling directly upon the levers of federal power, he could build a firewall from the other side. And it could be a far stronger and more effective firewall than you could ever build from Alberta, while having the virtue of being pitched as a principled and patriotic vision of Canada.

Once you realize that Harper’s agenda was to build a firewall around Alberta from Ottawa, a lot of what he did while in power starts to make more sense. More specifically, a lot of what seemed like high-level ideology is revealed as simple tactics. A case in point is climate-change. It is one thing to insist (as Harper rightly did) that Canada should not go it alone on emissions reduction. It is something else entirely to indulge in barely-concealed denialism. But once you realize that any comprehensive deal on emissions that would actually do anything worthwhile would involve leaving a lot of oil in the ground in Alberta, forever, then denialism becomes more comprehensible.

But these sorts of tactical forays only work as long as the Conservatives are in power. To build a more long-lasting firewall, one that would persist and endure during years or decades of non-Conservative rule, it would be necessary to make more fundamental changes to the way Ottawa works and to its capacities.

There are three main pillars a Canadian federal government needs if it wants to engage in centralized, large-scale, long-term, social planning, policy development, and execution: Data, expertise, and money. Data in the form of the social and demographic makeup of the country and the relevant long-term trends. Expertise in the form of informed research and evidence-based policy. And money, to either pay for programs directly, or by using the spending power to bribe and cajole the provinces into adopting national policies, standards, and services.

And so the corollary is: If you wanted to permanently hamstring the feds’ capacity for centralized social planning, you would have to kneecap all three of these pillars.

Data: It wasn’t privacy, as Tony Clement said, or freedom, as Max Bernier argued, that was the real rationale for killing the mandatory long-form census. It was to throw a whole lot of noise into the demographic signal that the census had been giving for decades. That is also why Statscan as a whole was gutted over the course of the Harper years. Without accurate data, social planners are flying blind.

Expertise: No government in living memory has been as hostile to experts and to evidence as the Harper government. But as Stephen Gordon recently argued, it wasn’t all forms of expertise and evidence that gave the Tories hives – plenty of their economic initiatives were rooted in the best available evidence.

What the Tories were allergic to was expertise that steered the evidence in directions they didn’t want to go – “committing sociology”, in Harper’s wonderful turn of phrase. That is why scientists were muzzled, policy shops were shuttered, and bureaucrats were ignored.

Money: Here is the meat in the sandwich. When it comes to social planning, Ottawa’s power is the spending power. And this is where Harper had his greatest success. By the end of his tenure as prime minister, Ottawa’s spending, as a share of GDP, had fallen to levels not seen since the middle of the 20th century. And the spending that does remain is overwhelmingly devoted to either just keeping the lights on, or takes the form of transfers to the provinces and individuals.

Harper’s policy genius here was the two-point cut in the GST, which currently costs the federal treasury about $12billion a year. Harper’s political genius was the creation of an all-party and pan-Canadian consensus around the virtues of a balanced budget at that historically low level of federal spending.

No data, no experts, and no money. This is Harper’s Ottawa Firewall in a nutshell.

As long as Harper was in power, this firewall against centralized social planning was bound to be highly effective. The question is, what remains of this agenda with a Liberal majority in power in Ottawa?

The long-form mandatory census is back, just under the wire. Another missed census in 2016 would have gummed up the data for generations, but as it stands, it looks like the 2011 asterisk will remain just that.

The scientists have already been unmuzzled. The public servants have been asked for their advice. The policy shops are staffing up and stocking the shelves and will be ready for business soon.

But what about the money? This is where things get tricky for the Liberals. Their commitment to running three relatively small deficits to build infrastructure and kick-start growth caught everyone in the chattering classes off guard, and turned out to be a political winner.

But the promise was to return to balance by the last year of their mandate. That is, they accepted the basic premise of balanced budgets at more or less current levels of federal revenues (their tax plan calls for additional revenues of just $3 billion). This isn’t enough, and there is not enough economic good weather in the offing for Ottawa to grow its way to good times.

An Ottawa with lots of data and lots of policy ambitions but no money is going to be pretty ineffectual. Paul Wells calls it “flat-tire federalism”. At some point, the Liberals are going to have to tackle the revenue problem. Without money, without the fiscal capacity to get things done, all the data and expertise and policy advice is just squiggles on a page and vibrations of air molecules.

A federal government that is nicer, less controlling, more transparent but still broke is not one that has much capacity to bother the provinces with socialist schemes. And if that’s where things remain, then Harper’s long-term victory will be cemented, regardless of who is in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If I am reading that article correctly, does that mean Harper essentially wasn't a federalist? Does that make his party the Bloc Albertois?

If everything he did was to essentially force Alberta to become more independent and to protected it from the other provinces, damning even his own support in rural Ontario, then the only thing he would stop short of was shattering confederation? (And even then?)

Does that mean if nothing happens to ease western alienation, we're going to have to it all over again?