Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It doesn't help that a lot of the best writing is invisible. Especially in a visual medium. Good writers are highly underappreciated, which is a shame since their work is often crucial to why people like a thing in the first place.

But yeah, part of it probably has to do with the idea that "Anyone can write. Look at me, I'm doing it right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yep, the average person will never notice a good writer.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You think writing is bad wrt not being noticed and "anyone can do it it takes no skill," take a look at translation

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Bad Seafood posted:

Never read the comment section of any website ever.

I feel like this needs to be written on everyone's soul in words of fire

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Well also aside from the writing itself, the anime's scenes are taken pretty directly from the Murata drawn versions, which are themselves near panel for panel redraws of ONE's version aside from expanding some of the fights. ONE's version pretty much remains the storyboard for the composition and flow of the other versions.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Elentor posted:

Don't read the comments part of that news article then. Some people called on the author not mentioning ONE and it devolved into basically people writing walls of texts explaining why writing isn't important at all because if writing was important you could just read the synopsis on wikipedia and call it a day.

The Cliff's Notes version is the best version of every classic novel obviously.

:psyduck:

If you meant to say what I think you did, then I'd say that presentation is just as important as the content.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-14/one-punch-man-anime-2nd-bd-dvd-release-includes-ova/.95380

Some info about the first BD bonus OVA in this article, as well as confirmation that the 2nd BD has an OVA too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

The Cliff's Notes version is the best version of every classic novel obviously.

:psyduck:

If you meant to say what I think you did, then I'd say that presentation is just as important as the content.
I don't imagine many of these folks are big readers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

aers posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-14/one-punch-man-anime-2nd-bd-dvd-release-includes-ova/.95380

Some info about the first BD bonus OVA in this article, as well as confirmation that the 2nd BD has an OVA too.

So 10ish minutes of OVAs per BD and six BD total, an hour long of original content, nice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, the BDs have English subs.

I'm tempted.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

New episode was so good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The link for previews for next week.
http://onepunchman-anime.net/story/episode.php

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Bwahaha, that shot right before the eye-catch. Cool men don't look at explosions.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
This was a loving good episode.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Looks like they're going to get up to the end of Boros arc with the rate they're going. This whole thing is going to be so good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Great episode yet again. Bang sounds dead right.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Next week is gonna be so good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jwang posted:

Looks like they're going to get up to the end of Boros arc with the rate they're going. This whole thing is going to be so good.

yeah, they announced VAs/posted pictures for Sea King and Boros recently

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 15, 2015

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The short new anime-only bit after Saitama's shouting wasn't great but I can't complain.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Great episode, but I already can't wait for the arc that starts next week

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

tiistai posted:

The short new anime-only bit after Saitama's shouting wasn't great but I can't complain.

I really liked it, personally. One of the subtler threads of the manga is pretty much that Saitama is struggling with depression--something he was once passionate about has lost its ability to really engage him, and he's left feeling hollow as a result, just going through the motions. But as the series progresses, he starts finding fulfillment in his relationships with other people. He's not the sort of person to talk about it, or possibly even admit it to himself, but it's definitely there. A lot of that only really starts showing up after Boros, though, so scenes like this or the little eating contest bit help to bring that story thread into the scope of the show. You could say it was maybe a little heavy-handed, but I think it was handled well.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Sea King('s heart nipples) will be so great. Also, I wonder if they're going to include Speed of Sound Sonic's short stay in prison, since it's kind of related to the events of Sea King arc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe you guys can discuss design details of upcoming things or arcs/enemies in the murata thread rather than the anime one?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hoo boy lemme tell ya. You think this is good now, well, surprise! It gets even better!!!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Maybe you guys can discuss design details of upcoming things or arcs/enemies in the murata thread rather than the anime one?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

For real, yo.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, kind of overlapping here. Actually really overlapping, reign it in guys.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bang looks like Zeno Zoldyck.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here are the manga versions of some of today's scenes

http://i.imgur.com/g6iwwy8.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/TAXgIVA.gifv

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

I'm glad we finally got to this happening in the anime, because now we can post those gifs. The gif of Metal Knight landing is one of the first things I saw of One Punch Man, and it was the point where I decided I should look into this manga. Murata is a madman, but god drat he is an incredible artist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This one in particular was an entire chapter.

Well, an entire part. As the series got on, Murata started releasing chapters in parts. The first half of this episode, for instance, was an entire chapter split into 4 releases.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I'd drawn a single frame/page where the robot is in shot from the Metal Knight gif there, I'd be able to retire from drawing happily.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

holy poo poo :psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's a sketch of the OPM crew by the dude who did character designs for JoJo Part 3's anime.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Here's a sketch of the OPM crew by the dude who did character designs for JoJo Part 3's anime.

The recent anime or the OVAs from way back when?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The recent one.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hahaha oh poo poo, Black Hole is totally gatchaman crowdsing Saitama rn

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really liked it, personally. One of the subtler threads of the manga is pretty much that Saitama is struggling with depression--something he was once passionate about has lost its ability to really engage him, and he's left feeling hollow as a result, just going through the motions. But as the series progresses, he starts finding fulfillment in his relationships with other people. He's not the sort of person to talk about it, or possibly even admit it to himself, but it's definitely there. A lot of that only really starts showing up after Boros, though, so scenes like this or the little eating contest bit help to bring that story thread into the scope of the show. You could say it was maybe a little heavy-handed, but I think it was handled well.

I've only seen what's been released of the anime and read a tiny bit of the manga, but it's cool that the writer(s) found some humanity in a premise as ridiculous(ly awesome) as "dude kills anything with a single punch".

At the very least the anime would just be a fairly entertaining gag story without those good touches.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Anime status: still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

best show of 2015

• Locked thread