Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you can't equip a power fist while in power armor

what the gently caress is this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
No one man should have all that power.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Lady Naga posted:

Yes, because rape isn't about sex, it's about power.

Nah I'd probably like Fallout 4 a lot more if it had anything to say about anything.

He didn't rape any of the women. I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He was put in prison because he hosed every wife in town, and they later bailed him out of jail because they liked what he had to offer. If he were a rapist, outside of the prison scenario, then he's probably the worst rapist of all time since it made everyone come back for seconds.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Rape is sexual violence.

The song is about a man committing violence SPECIFICALLY against women, with very sexual undertones.

HMMMMMM WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK THIS IS ABOUT RAPE!?!?

Xeremides posted:

If he were a rapist, outside of the prison scenario, then he's probably the worst rapist of all time since it made everyone come back for seconds.

That's the loving joke, I've already said as much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xeremides posted:

He didn't rape any of the women. I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He was put in prison because he hosed every wife in town, and they later bailed him out of jail because they liked what he had to offer. If he were a rapist, outside of the prison scenario, then he's probably the worst rapist of all time since it made everyone come back for seconds.

:lol: I can already tell this is going to spawn the most tumblr rear end post from Lady Naga.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always took it as eating people and that's it. No sex no nothing else.

Since I just Occam'd this, let's talk about where to find more .308 ammo

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh fuuuuuck not Tumblr!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fallout 3 had super meh choices of music in the first place, it woulda been cool if they could've actually taken a full new roster for the next one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I would prefer if I were reading posts asking how you scrap broken houses, complaining about lack of ammo, smugly announcing that survival mode is super easy, complaining about Doggy McUnderfoot, and asking how to do things that literally display at the bottom of your screen at all times with "hit X to do Y"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Honestly all of you are putting way more thought into these stupid songs than Bethesda or probably anyone else ever has.

Turtlicious posted:

Settlements can produce oil and adhesive via farms. They also have scavenging stations you can assign your extra dudes too who get you more junk. The shops give you caps. You can also, as you said build shops, but the level 3 shops are the best ones in the game. You don't need more then one settlement though.

e: Unless you want more materials / shops, but you'd have to pick it up manually I believe.

I knew about the adhesive thing but how do you farm for oil? I've been running out of that a lot lately, but the recipes I can find are for things like gas canisters and lighters. Is it just the general junk gathering you get from the scavenging tables?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Rape is sexual violence.

The song is about a man committing violence SPECIFICALLY against women, with very sexual undertones.

HMMMMMM WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK THIS IS ABOUT RAPE!?!?

What part, specifically, implies rape? The part about him chopping up all the womens' meat? That's about him railing them out. The part about him having a long, sharp knife? That's his dick. He starts chopping and doesn't know when to stop, so all the fellas better watch out because he doesn't care who's meat he chops? That's him loving any woman he can, to include wives. He doesn't care who he fucks. Is it the part about him cuttin and chopping for miles around, and not caring if they're single, old maids, or wives? Again, he'll gently caress anything. Still no implication of rape. How about the part about him choppin from sunrise to sunset? Nope, still just loving. Meat's gonna be the death of ole Pete? Yeah, because some guy is probably going to kill him for loving his wife. Cops put him in jail, probably for adultery, and he ends up loving his cell mate because he's addicted to sex. So the one case of rape is when it happens to a man. Amazing.

Hell, read the lyrics to part 2. It's the same poo poo all over again. Women loving love this guy:

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Roy-Brown/Butcher-Pete-Pt-2

quote:

Well, They Let Ole' Pete Outta' Jail
He Went Back To His Store
All The Women Who Played His Bail
Were Waitin' On Pete to Chop some More
He's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
He just hacks, wacks, choppin' that meat
There's an old woman, who's ninety-two
Lives down the street
She said, one thing more I wanna do
Is find ole' Pete and let him chop my meat
He just hacks, wacks, (Hey, now!) choppin' that meat
Pete went to church one Sunday night
He gave the preacher a fit
That crazy Pete started a fight
When he went hackin' on the pulpit
Well, they put him in jail again
They tried to give him life
Pete beat the case, he pleaded insane
They gave him back his same ole knife
Well, he got out of jail on Sunday night
Monday he tightened his grip
He started to China to see the sites
Went nuts again and chopped up the ship
He's hackin' and wackin' and (Hey, Now!) smackin'
He's hackin' and wackin' and (Mmmm!) smackin'
Brought ole Pete back to town
To electrocute him there
But Pete was crazy like a clown
He chopped down that electric chair
He's hackin' and wackin' and smackin' (He's A Maniac!)
He's hackin' and wackin' (He don't do nothin' but hackin') and smackin'

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, are there any replenishing sources of Fusion Cores? Stores, for example, or joining the BOS so they give you some?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Kimmalah posted:

Honestly all of you are putting way more thought into these stupid songs than Bethesda or probably anyone else ever has.

It's pretty insulting to assume that writers don't put any thought into the music they create.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:laffo: the last few missions before you are forced to side with a faction. If you aren't hostile to any of them, they just fight each other. I just sat there while all the npcs killed each other and I looted them.

And none of them hate you either unless you pick a side or deliberately start murdering their guys.

Bethesda :eng99:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

It's pretty insulting to assume that writers don't put any thought into the music they create.

It's even more insulting to inject your own deranged fantasies into someone's art and claim it to be THE TRUTH.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

I honestly can't tell anymore if you're being serious or this is some kind of extended joke post.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Turns out that nothing Bethesda will ever write is going to be biting or insightful. Doesn't change the fact that the universe itself is a satire though.

Also Butcher Pete is not objectively about rape, just him having sex with everything/everyone. If you read it as rape, then I guess that's your take. Can't be proven, and it isn't how lots of people interpret it (me included). The actual 'joke' in the song is that what you think is murder is in fact a metaphor for sex, and sex and violence is used interchangeably in the song. That is meant to be amusing because at the time, referring directly to sex in a song would not be transmissible on air I assume.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xeremides posted:

It's even more insulting to inject your own deranged fantasies into someone's art and claim it to be THE TRUTH.

Hasn't that been what this entire thread has been about

Or does it not count because video games aren't art

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't think the electric chair consented to being hosed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jeza posted:

Turns out that nothing Bethesda will ever write is going to be biting or insightful. Doesn't change the fact that the universe itself is a satire though.

The universe in Fallout 4 just seems to be Massachusetts with a few less people in it than it currently has.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think the electric chair consented to being hosed.

It was asking for it. No one shaped like that and doesn't want a good hackin'.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mlmp08 posted:

smugly announcing that survival mode is super easy

Survival mode is super easy.

:smugdog:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xeremides posted:

So I guess we're going to go with "if you think a coy song about sex and violence is about rape then YOU'RE THE REAL RAPIST" huh?

Kimmalah posted:

I honestly can't tell anymore if you're being serious or this is some kind of extended joke post.

What? The dude said "you've put more thought into this than anyone else ever has" and I responded with "yeah I'm pretty sure the writer put a lot of thought into the song he wrote dude". How is that a statement worthy of ridicule???

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Survival mode is super easy.

:smugdog:

Beating the mirelurk queen with a 10mm pistol, 308 rifle, RPG with limited ammo, and mines/grenades was kinda rough. Where are my superweapons?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

jesus, do the dia cache mission for the railroad. it spawns 30 ballistic/energy defense clothes in tinker toms inventory, including military fatigues.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I really wish there was an option to just be like "no thanks I don't want any part in this, I already did my part please give me my quest XP". I mean look at my character's face, even they are like "what is this poo poo I've been roped into". Hell, at least in FO4 they sometimes give you a "I don't want to do that" choice, which in actuality is literally indifferent from saying yes but nope you don't even get that here.
I also thought this was kinda bullshit. I kept wading through the conversation trying to find the "gently caress your yankee bluejeans" way out but there wasn't one. I mean you're on a moral mission to get a guy to stop banging some other guy's wife and once that's wrapped up nicely the only option is "Lets go murder a whole bunch of innocent people for roughly 100 caps". It also doesn't even wrap up! I tried to kill Cooke while he is fighting the ladyghoul and drag his body to where I killed all the other drug cartel people, to attempt to make it look like the deal went sideways for everyone but when the quest just disappeared off my quest list I assumed I had done something wrong so I reloaded. Nope. Just really lovely quest writing.

For anyone just staring out that wants to really get ahead of the curve level-wise: when you can start building in Sanctuary, scrap every drat thing in town. The collapsed houses, all the piles of rubble, mailbox stands, lamp posts, broken poo poo all over town, scrap it all. You'll have hundreds of steel that can be used to put up Decorations -> Wall Decorations -> Metal Sign. Crafting one of these with 6 INT is 4XP, costs 4 steel, and you can stack as many of them in on spot as fast as you can press the build button. Then you can scrap them all back to get back 2 steel. 500 steel = 244 builds = 976 XP which is a bunch of levels at the level you can do it.

It is nice that building stuff give you XP instead of just being a "see if you can make something that looks decent given the lovely snapping behavior and things not quite lining up and geometry clipping through everywhere" simulator. I got through most of level 29 just building an outpost second floor of the Red Rocket Gas Station. It was actually the first place I built anything and still had 0 people after like 30 hours of real world game playtime.

I don't understand happiness in this game either. Sanctuary was maxed out 16 people at 80% happiness and going up. They have over 30 food 50 water 100 defense 25 beds power run to 3 or 4 of the homes with lights and tvs and a goddamn jukebox and 5x level 2+ vendors. Never been attacked. Now it fluctuates between 75% and 65%. Occasionally when I am in town someone will say to me "Some people have been complaining about the bed situation" which does not even make sense.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've been running idiot savant with 9str 9agi for rooted and blitz plus toughness and god drat I'm mowing through people

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

So I guess we're going to go with "if you think a coy song about sex and violence is about rape then YOU'RE THE REAL RAPIST" huh?

What? The dude said "you've put more thought into this than anyone else ever has" and I responded with "yeah I'm pretty sure the writer put a lot of thought into the song he wrote dude". How is that a statement worthy of ridicule???

No I meant the entire discussion about songs you started. It reads like a parody.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

There are two instances of violence in the song, and neither have anything to do with women. Feel free to cite where, exactly, the song implies he raped women.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Where the gently caress can you find heavy combat armor?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mlmp08 posted:

Beating the mirelurk queen with a 10mm pistol, 308 rifle, RPG with limited ammo, and mines/grenades was kinda rough. Where are my superweapons?

If my game is any indication they'll all spawn within the course of a few hours after you acquire your 90th legendary leather right leg piece.

Not gonna lie, though, killing a deathclaw in a second with a rapidfire plasma rifle is really cathartic after going through that fight in the first hour.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Xeremides posted:

So the one case of rape is when it happens to a man. Amazing.

Doesn't really help it's case there as just being a crap song.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Not gonna lie, though, killing a deathclaw in a second with a rapidfire plasma rifle is really cathartic after going through that fight in the first hour.

Right before getting to mirelurk queen land I got jumped by a deathclaw and burned through all the ammo for my only decent weapon, a totally stock combat rifle and the Paladin Danse rifle you get. Glad that fucker's dead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Where the gently caress can you find heavy combat armor?

I found ONE set total, on some guy near Quincy in the South East part of the map.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I killed Kellog and got his implants. Where do I go to put those into my body, and also other implants? I've been saving caps since nothing in any store is possibly worth buying except for ammo, so I want to make myself into a cyborg like I did in NV.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, I the memory den stuff wasn't half bad. It was an extended semi-interactive cutscene, but at least it was a step above Bethesda's usual writing prowess.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

How is it that every AAA game thread, someone manages to start an argument about rape? If you want to talk about rape, go start a rape thread. Rape is not video games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xeremides posted:

There are two instances of violence in the song, and neither have anything to do with women. Feel free to cite where, exactly, the song implies he raped women.

Your entire point seems predicated on the fact that "chopping up meat", an inherently violent act, is somehow code for "consensual extramarital sex" which is not a violent act.

Funkmaster General posted:

How is it that every AAA game thread, someone manages to start an argument about rape? If you want to talk about rape, go start a rape thread. Rape is not video games.
Videogames are media, which is both influenced by and influences the culture in which we live in. If you don't want to talk about social issues as they impact the products you consume, might I suggest GameFAQs?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have 20something fusion cores but I'm deathly afraid that I'll run through all of them and never get any more. Is there a renewable source somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Elendil004 posted:

I have 20something fusion cores but I'm deathly afraid that I'll run through all of them and never get any more. Is there a renewable source somewhere?

If you shove 'em back into the things you took them from, they'll be recharged.

• Locked thread