Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

silvergoose posted:

. First, what *are* some good combinations that should be built towards? And second, what do I call that mechanic, I want a short one or two word pithy phrase.

The scorpion and the tile that gives you prayer points for kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
it's called "being frontloaded as gently caress"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't have extensive Kemet strategies because I don't play it often enough, but two powerful tiles are the red one that auto-kills two people before you attack someone (though you don't get a victory point if you wipe out a two-unit troop beforehand) and the blue one that nets you a victory point whenever you win a battle as defender (which is maybe more useful to deterring people from attacking you and weakening your troops). I think in general it's recommended to focus on two colors since they do a good job complementing each other. The expansion also probably changes things as well

I personally grab the power that makes raising pyramids cheaper when I start out, since it's an easy way to get points and lets you dive toward the higher-end tiles more cheaply, though it'll be slower than people going for them outright.

drat, now I want to play Kemet again. May try to get it on the table today if I end up with five people at some point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lichtenstein posted:

it's called "being frontloaded as gently caress"

Thanks! Probably frontloaded for the general term, essentially "I don't like games that are too frontloaded". Cools.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Thanks! Probably frontloaded for the general term, essentially "I don't like games that are too frontloaded". Cools.

The biggest problem for me isn't the frontloading itself, it's that the game only comes with a single visual aid (multilanguage doesn't count!) describing all the tiles. If you're going to frontload that much, at least have the courtesy of having individual player aids or something.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

taser rates posted:

The biggest problem for me isn't the frontloading itself, it's that the game only comes with a single visual aid (multilanguage doesn't count!) describing all the tiles. If you're going to frontload that much, at least have the courtesy of having individual player aids or something.

I printed these out (double-sided). Makes a big difference for new players. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98915/player-aid-all-power-tiles-and-di-cards

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 14, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

taser rates posted:

Being a total cheapskate, I've hand-written the tiles' powers and taped it in to the foreign language versions, so I've now got 4 copies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The most powerful tile in Kemet is the free pyramid level every night. It essentially doubles your pyramid action and does it for free. You end every game with every pyramid at level 4, you have free range of the tiles you want when everyone else is stuck in the color they rushed, etc. I've never lost with that tile.

That said, every color in Kemet is strong and you can easily win with any color combination. The meat of the game is all about managing your money and making the most of movement actions (always do them at the end of the day). Oh, and permanent points matter a whole lot more

A good beginner strategy is to do the 2-1-0 start with your pyramids and spend the first day doing this

Level pyramid 2-3
Pray
Buy level three tile (beetle, etc)
Move
Move

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The most important tiles in Kemet to aim for at the start are:

Slaves (-1 cost to upgrade pyramids)
Hand of God (Free pyramid level)
Scarab (+2 power +2 move)
Legion (troop size 7)

Those four tend to go extremely fast, since they've got really major earlygame strength and scale well into lategame. Scarab and Hand of God require upgrading, Slaves can be picked up on a 2/1 and will let you upgrade to a 3 or 4 in a different color on the first turn without needing to upgrade white first, and legion is generally strong and lets you use your recruit > camp one of the spots that requires you to kill troops with significant safety bonuses. If you do start 1/1/1 you want to buy three times, preferably leading with Priestess to get the -1 cost to all your upgrades on the first turn. Other than that, be flexible and grab what you can because the game rewards good tactics very highly. Leveling to 3 on the first turn is nice for Red (Scarab) and White (Hand of God) but basically useless for Blue since its power is concentrated heavily into levels 2 and 4.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
My favourite tile is the base white tile that makes every other tile purchase 1 cheaper. I always get that and usually spend most of my game getting white tiles that make stuff cheaper, so I can do anything for free (but my armies are useless and I lose horribly).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

Do you by chance mean the orignal FFG edition? In the 1980s game you rolled for initiative, but you did it before choosing your chit.
Nope, second edition, where you had a combat roll after showing cards. I was exaggerating slightly, because some card combination do still damage even when you 'lose' the roll, but it's still a lovely system. Afaik, the new edition is almost totally deterministic in combat, with a better rock/paper/scissors system in place.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

silvergoose posted:

I'll post a bigger report after the con is over, but Kemet is a fabulous game that I absolutely hated. The two problems I had: first, I played badly at the beginning, and basically was screwed out of getting any points at all in the first few turns, and then two people were running away with it without attacking eachother and so I had no shot.

Second, I hate the following mechanic: A public tableau of options from which everyone builds an engine

In Kemet, the power tiles. In, say, Caverna, the buildings. What other games have that? I don't mean "a few things are flipped over each round and build from what you've got available", I don't mean "a market row and stuff is replaced as they're taken", I mean "the entire engine building is right there, every game, exactly the same, and build an engine from it while other people are also building an engine from it and then if you are crap at figuring out a good engine from the entire opportunity set you have no chance".

As I said. I think Kemet is great, but that I would hate playing it until I learned enough about the power tiles to be able to have a good idea exactly which tiles synergized with others, and I'd just rather play other stuff. So uh, two questions. First, what *are* some good combinations that should be built towards? And second, what do I call that mechanic, I want a short one or two word pithy phrase.

Kemet does not have a lot of luck so it can be tough for a new player to not end up getting trounced by the older players who know a lot of combinations. Also, it sounds like you were playing 3 players which makes it easier for the experienced players to complete their power combinations without any interference. One of the keys to Kemet is realizing that it's more of a resource management game than anything else. This becomes especially important with moving costs (do you pay for movement points to move later for free, or do you rely on teleporting all game at a cost each time?). Also, being able to recall troops for prayer points is very important because leaving a decimated troop on the board is basically a free VP for any player that plays after you. Also, sometimes turn order is very important (going 1st gives you first dibs on tiles to purchase, going last gives you the last move in order to take over a key temple).

Tekopo posted:

Nope, second edition, where you had a combat roll after showing cards. I was exaggerating slightly, because some card combination do still damage even when you 'lose' the roll, but it's still a lovely system. Afaik, the new edition is almost totally deterministic in combat, with a better rock/paper/scissors system in place.

I hardly remember anything about the 2nd edition combat except that I really hated it and thought every time it came up it ground the game to a screeching halt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Nope, second edition, where you had a combat roll after showing cards.

That is the original FFG edition. 1st edition is the 1987 Games Workshop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, and blue has the other strongest tile in Kemet with the gold action token, giving you three move/attack actions per round, or recruit/move/move. It's incredibly strong and will absolutely swing games in the final day.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit posted:

That is the original FFG edition. 1st edition is the 1987 Games Workshop.
Oh, my mistake. I read FFG as GWS for some reason. But yeah, I mean the original FFG version.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Not sure if that tile is better than initiative but it's definitely top 3

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
How much is Codenames supposed to cost?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Dr Tran posted:

How much is Codenames supposed to cost?

Around $13-15.

If you're paying more than $20, you shouldn't be.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Andarel posted:

Not sure if that tile is better than initiative but it's definitely top 3

I won last game by going blue red, rushing initiative then grabbing the silver and gold action tokens from blue. It was ridiculous.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

Around $13-15.

If you're paying more than $20, you shouldn't be.

20 is list price

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I'm really surprised to see two people that think Hand of God (free pyramid level every night) is one of the best tiles; I've always thought it was decent, but not amazing. Here's a strategy I run if I want to upgrade my pyramids quick that I think is miles ahead of anything you could do with Hand of God:

Turn 1: buy Slaves (1 ankh discount on pyramid upgrades), upgrade white from 2 to 4 for 5 ankhs
Turn 2: buy whatever that one tile is called (1 ankh discount on everything), upgrade blue to level 4 for 3 ankhs (normally this costs 1+2+3+4, with your double discount this becomes 0+0+1+2)
Turn 3: upgrade red to level 4 for 3 ankhs

Cheap, simple, and it lets you quickly pick up the sphinx and a +1 VP tile for an easy 5 point lead out of the gate.

For general Kemet chat, white has most of the tiles that enable strategies in other colors. The get ankhs for kills tile lets you turn an otherwise red focused strategy into a very economically powerful one (though, note that the two free kills from Initiative happen before battle, so you don't get prayer points for them). All the white tiles that give you more DI cards and more choice over your DI cards work great with the red tile that lets you pitch DI cards for strength and the blue tile that forces your opponent to play their combat card first. Outside of those, there aren't many tile combinations that are hugely synergistic, in general everything is useful and works together fine.

Kemet is all about creating situations where you have a strength advantage, the best tiles for this are the 5 monster tiles (I'm not counting the elephant because it only gives +1, but I am counting the snake because canceling an opponents monster is effectively +2). The thing is, these tiles don't stack and it's unlikely you'll be shut out of all of them, so you probably want to pick up some of the other strength bonuses first. +1 strength while attacking, +1 strength while defending, +1 strength across the board, Initiative, and Legion are all less powerful than a monster, but they stack with one, so they're good to pick up early.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played new through the ages, with two newbies. They both really enjoyed it and I'm finding that people seem much more positive in terms of enjoyment than original.

Played Coup Guatemala and it has some really bad cards. The anarchist especially: you don't need to claim it to attack someone and the only way to not lose the life is to claim Anarchist. So basically there is no risk for the attacker and if you have one influence you HAVE TO claim anarchist or otherwise yo lose anyway. It's an awful card.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Turn 2: buy whatever that one tile is called (1 ankh discount on everything), upgrade blue to level 4 for 3 ankhs (normally this costs 1+2+3+4, with your double discount this becomes 0+0+1+2)

This doesn't work (well, it doesn't work as well as you think, you should been spending 6 for this rather than 3) - from the FAQ:

quote:

5.4: If I am increasing several levels of a pyramid at the same time, and I have Priest of Ra, do I save one prayer point per level?
No. Priest of Ra saves one prayer point per spending action. So for the action of raising a pyramid, you save one prayer point total, regardless of the number of levels you raise at once.

Edit: Whoops, I did the math wrong too - with slaves and priest, it should be 5, not 6 (but still not 3). 1+2+3+4 = 10 - 4 for slaves - 1 for priest = 5.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 15, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That's for Priest of Ra. Slaves does save you one per level.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/961339/kemet-official-faq , see 5.5

Andarel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 15, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Andarel posted:

That's for Priest of Ra. Slaves does save you one per level.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/961339/kemet-official-faq , see 5.5

Yes but that is taking two off per level so it assuming both slaves and Ra.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is Cuba any good?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

silvergoose posted:

I'll post a bigger report after the con is over, but Kemet is a fabulous game that I absolutely hated. The two problems I had: first, I played badly at the beginning, and basically was screwed out of getting any points at all in the first few turns, and then two people were running away with it without attacking eachother and so I had no shot.

Second, I hate the following mechanic: A public tableau of options from which everyone builds an engine

In Kemet, the power tiles. In, say, Caverna, the buildings. What other games have that? I don't mean "a few things are flipped over each round and build from what you've got available", I don't mean "a market row and stuff is replaced as they're taken", I mean "the entire engine building is right there, every game, exactly the same, and build an engine from it while other people are also building an engine from it and then if you are crap at figuring out a good engine from the entire opportunity set you have no chance".

As I said. I think Kemet is great, but that I would hate playing it until I learned enough about the power tiles to be able to have a good idea exactly which tiles synergized with others, and I'd just rather play other stuff. So uh, two questions. First, what *are* some good combinations that should be built towards? And second, what do I call that mechanic, I want a short one or two word pithy phrase.

Yeah, I feel the same way - I hate opening the box and thinking "great, time to look over these for half an hour to make any sort of choice." I can't help but feel like that's a lazy aspect of game design, to just say "Well, we can't think of any way to balance the introduction of these over the course of a game, gently caress it, all at once."

I realize Kemet's a really fun game, I just can't stand it because of that mechanic.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Emminent Domain is a deck building game with a (discounting the Planet deck) public tableau of options of which to build your engine. I get that people can get overwhelmed by it, but personally I find that learning to build an engine is pretty fun.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kemet probably could have been designed so that some condition had to be met before players could raise pyramids to 4 and buy level 4 powers, which would reduce choice a little, at the cost of game speed. The flatter and more front-loaded design is faster for experienced players. I don't think it's lazy design per se, but it's definitely a barrier to accessibility. I feel Eclipse is even worse for this, since there's an extensive tableau of techs and upgrades AND it gets bigger.

As others did, I had duplicates of the English handout made, and had them laminated. I would not play a teaching game of it today without those or without pointing out some basic observations about strategy (holding two temples is hard, consider recalling your mans even if you win, these few tiles here often go on the first turns). Even if they're crappy photocopies, your games will go so much faster if people can be looking at their choices without looming over the board and fighting over the one English copy.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Gutter Owl posted:

So Lorini (and anyone else who picked it up), now that you've had Food Chain Magnate for a little bit, how strongly do you recommend it?

Like, I get that it's a good game, but is it "$105 after shipping" good? It's going to be competing with Dungeon Lords/Petz, Argent, and Dominant Species for table time. (And about 40 other games, but let's just focus on the long-form diceless euro category.)

For how early it's been out, it's quickly becoming my favorite Splotter* design (by proxy one of my favorite euro-designs). Great Zimbabwe is quicker (with low player counts...), but Food Chain Magnate is so many good things.

Beyond all the clever mechanics, FCM's biggest accomplishment is despite the game having no random play elements (aside from turn order and board setup), none of the gameplay feels like it leads to the standard resource thing in euros of "optimal strategies." Between the different setup layouts and that everything the other players do greatly affects what you do; you're never going to go down a set obvious path at any point during the game. Closest I feel other games come to this achievement is in 18XX's in how non-random they are yet incredibly emergent via player choice; except Food Chain Magnate dodges the whole "group think because we know the board now" problem with modular setups.

Dominant Species is one of my all-time favorite games; I won't be surprised if I continue liking Food Chain Magnate more than DS even after FCM's honeymoon period is over.

Some caveats: paper money; the card pool is the biggest footprint I've seen a board game do with card piles; incredibly unforgiving even if it isn't as Roads & Boats / Antiquity "you built the wrong production building now you're out of the game" harsh. Oh and I'm incredibly full of hype for this one so I'm probably blinded to some other flaws or something (I guess how measuring distance in this game is weird to understand).

*other Splotter Spellen games to compare are Roads & Boats &cetera, Antiquity, Greed Incorporated, Indonesia, and The Great Zimbabwe

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Lorini posted:

I have a question for you guys, which comes to mind after playing all these new Essen games.

Is a game that has shorter turns intrinsically better than a game that has longer turns?

Argent and Tzolkin are two games that come to mind that have shorter turns. You make a decision on what to do, you do it, next turn.

Food Chain Magnate on the other hand, has each player doing this each turn:

1. Recruit employees
2. Train employees
3. Initiate marketing campaigns
4. Get food and drinks (many times you have to figure this out, it's not a simple number in front of you)
5. Place new houses and gardens (this again involves figuring out the board)
6. Place or move restaurants

Ships also has a lot to do on your turn.

Now you can imagine that Food Chain Magnate has a LOT of downtime between your turn. Is this good/bad/indifferent/time to take out your phone or tablet??

I'd like to know your thoughts as I'm divided :).

Also to respond to this from forever ago, but I don't know if this was gleaning rules before play or your group being incredibly good at managing the peons employees; but the six steps listed aren't actions players always do.

The game more or less has you using employees (i.e. more or less playing a hand of cards similar to deck-building) that grant actions. The actions, no matter how the employees are played, go off in an exact order (the steps).

For example, first turn of the game your only card can just hire one employee (i.e. get a basic card from supply). Training, marketing, cooking, etc. all ignored.

The game doesn't divide actions into mini-turns like a worker-placement but neither does Dominion (even if Food Chain gets more complicated). I'd argue Through the Ages has longer player turns.

Of course downtime and analysis paralysis vary and such, but Food Chain Magnate is not much worse than other Heavy Euros™

EDIT: Also a bunch of people followed up the actual point of that post (short but lots of turns versus few longer turns) saying "micro-turns" are better; I'm not sure of that. A lot of players I game with tend to AP in a way that pretty much that they'll take, say, four times the normal amount of time on a small turn (i.e. placing a worker) but only twice as long on a full turn. It's like no matter how many things you do before the next players' turn, the analysis paralysis adds around a minute no matter what. When you have turns that shouldn't be taking more than 15-30 seconds, a worker-placement will take aeons longer compared to games with more blocked-in turns.

Or maybe it's just harder to tell a person to make their move if it hasn't been even a minute yet. Analysis Paralysis is dumb.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 15, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really want to play Dominant Species and FCM.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I really want to play Dominant Species and FCM.

I'm going to make a point to not have life crises happen when going to conventions where I harass goons with these.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Is Cuba any good?
anyone? Bueller?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

Kemet probably could have been designed so that some condition had to be met before players could raise pyramids to 4 and buy level 4 powers,

You mean like requiring a lot of limited actions and prayer points and multiple rounds?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Trynant posted:

Of course downtime and analysis paralysis vary and such, but Food Chain Magnate is not much worse than other Heavy Euros™

This is to anyone to answer, I just quoted the most recent post about it, but why is this game so expensive?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

EvilChameleon posted:

This is to anyone to answer, I just quoted the most recent post about it, but why is this game so expensive?

Splotter Game. Lots of components. Very limited print run. Huge reputation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Accusing Kemet's design of being lazy when it seems pretty clearly intentional to me is kinda weird, like okay, it's cool if you don't like it but there's nothing lazy about it. Like Bottom Liner said there are already conditionals and hoops you have to jump through to get more advanced tiles, they aren't all valued the same in terms of cost and you have limited resources (both cash and actions) to do stuff. It's absolutely possible to jump straight to Hand of God on the first day, can't nobody stop you unless they buy it first, but you're incurring multiple opportunity costs to do so (having to pay to upgrade your white pyramid simply to be able to buy it, having to buy the tile, losing the chance to upgrade any of your other two pyramids that day). Gating upgrades behind progressive introductions would be to the game's detriment because it would do nothing but narrow the scope of everyone's strategies and make the game much more rote.

Yeah, it's a lot for a new player to take in. Even with handouts, which I agree should have come in the box, nobody likes to be stuck with their nose buried in a cheat sheet in order to play a game. Kemet isn't a game I'd drop on unsuspecting/newer players without first making sure that they were really loving stoked to play it (and I did in fact veto playing it last Tuesday when a guy kept insisting that we introduce his friend to it who very clearly looked uncertain at the prospect, we eventually settled on some lighter fare and she seemed to enjoy that a lot more). Nonetheless there aren't that many power tiles, 36 with a number of repeats across the colors and duplicates within. You don't need to be prepared to lose your first 10,000 games before you can start putting strategies of your own together.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Had my first run at Nippon tonight, and I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the exchange, Lorini! The worker "takement" aspect is pretty neat, and I like the flow of taking actions and "consolidating" to refresh your money and resources. I'm really looking forward to playing it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

The End posted:

Splotter Game. Lots of components. Very limited print run. Huge reputation.

Reputation for... being expensive? Why do companies do this? Don't they want people to play their games?