Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mega64 posted:

Oh hey, today is the fifteenth anniversary of FF9 hitting the U.S. Also it's beating Kingdom Hearts on GameFAQs.

Huh. Didn't think IX was THAT popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

GameFAQs has a pretty perceptible bias of old > new.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mega64 posted:

Update this weekend assuming I don't spend all my time playing Fallout 4.
Well guys it's been fun, see you in about five years buddy, can't wait to see the rest of disc two.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

GameFAQs has a pretty perceptible bias of old > new.

It also has a blatantly obvious bias of FF > non-FF, though I guess Kingdom Hearts is kind of an edge case where that's less relevant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The first Kingdom Hearts wasn't that great either though.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

RareAcumen posted:

The first Kingdom Hearts wasn't that great either though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've never actually played Kingdom Hearts besides a tiny bit of the GBA one.

Think I'll keep it that way too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FFIX is super popular in the west these days. Everybody with an internet connection and a forum to post about it on goes on about how it's the most underrated game ever and way better than 7 or 8.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

FFIX is super popular in the west these days. Everybody with an internet connection and a forum to post about it on goes on about how it's the most underrated game ever and way better than 7 or 8.
Nobody will shut up about how wet water is, either, it's like ugh, we get it, water is wet and the sky is blue, thanks, cool.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I haven't heard a lot of people say 9 is better than 7. But it being better than 8 is just a matter of established fact.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mega64 posted:

I'm so sorry.

I'm so, so sorry you had to go through that.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I haven't heard a lot of people say 9 is better than 7. But it being better than 8 is just a matter of established fact.

The only reason I don't outright say 9 is the best final fantasy ever made is because I can't decide over it and 6.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

:hfive:

I saw Donald and Goofy and took a pass, never been compelled to go back and try it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Missed out on an optional, solo, sephiroth boss fight that includes an instant kill attack you can survive if you time a full heal elixir to hit you at the moment the attack does. :waycool:

He also has like 15 hp bars in a game where bosses have like 3-4 max.

I also fought him at lv40 instead of 70 so ...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kingdom hearts is cool and the sephiroth fight is cool

and that isn't even how that attack works. heartless angel knocks you down to 1 hp, it isn't an instant kill, and you cancel it by attacking him while he's channeling.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, the Elixir is for immediately recovering back from the 1 HP it leaves you in case you fail to interrupt it, you didn't need it to straight up not die. It's a tough fight but there are much harder ones in the later KH games and re-releases. Hell, he's arguably not even the hardest fight in the original game, I faintly recall having (even) more trouble with Kurt Zisa who was a real bastard to beat at least without any guides.

In any case, fighting Sephiroth with One-Winged Angel playing in the background was legitimately awesome in the first KH because that was in a time when both FF spin-offs and FF characters in non-FF games were way more unusual than they are today.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My bad. To be fair I was like 12 or something and I'm going off my memory from 13-14 years ago

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

kingdom hearts is cool and the sephiroth fight is cool

and that isn't even how that attack works. heartless angel knocks you down to 1 hp, it isn't an instant kill, and you cancel it by attacking him while he's channeling.

It's not instant kill without Second Chance?

Also, KHII is the best in the series, while the rest are of varying quality.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kanfy posted:

In any case, fighting Sephiroth with One-Winged Angel playing in the background was legitimately awesome in the first KH because that was in a time when both FF spin-offs and FF characters in non-FF games were way more unusual than they are today.

That's really the main thing; in the context of the time the game came out, it really was cool and different for its insane mashup of Disney and FF. And it worked. Mostly.

Bregor posted:

I saw Donald and Goofy and took a pass, never been compelled to go back and try it

Boooooo :saddowns:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's not instant kill without Second Chance?

Also, KHII is the best in the series, while the rest are of varying quality.
it's not an instant kill. even if you're on low hp it can't kill you, it reduces you to 1 hp and 0 mp.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The first Kingdom Hearts was good dumb fun and the GBA game was pretty alright.

From the second game on though it got way too wrapped up in itself for its own good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, if we're talking about plot, then yeah, KHI and CoM were the best. The introduction of Xehanort was the point things started getting nuts.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

VII had a coherent story, goofy characters, and a terrible translation. VIII had a less coherent story (with a lot of its cool world building stuff hidden too well), a lot of great character moments, and a good translation. IX had a good story, great characters, a bunch of references to past games, and a great translation/localisation

for KH talk, I have recently been playing through Birth By Sleep in the 2.5 collection, and it's surprisingly good (way better than Chain of Memories). the battle system is actually fun and not stupid like some of the other deviations.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yeah, BBS is pretty rad. The big problem is that it had to take PSP storage limitations for a storyline and divide it by 3 to work everyone's story in, so each individual storyline is rather short compared KH1 or 2. Sure, the three of them played one after the other will get about as much playtime as KH2, but you also have to start over with a new character twice, which each one having a radically different playstyle and unique abilities from the other two. Also a problem is that it's rather easy to break the game open with D. Links and Shotlocks.

That said I loved the crap out of it and would still recommend it to anyone, especially for the few of you trying to make sense of KH's clusterfuck of a story, since it sets up some important details for KH2 and later games.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Realistically it's the "3rd Kingdom Hearts Game", with the actual Kingdom Hearts III being 4th (or possibly 5th, depending how relevant some stuff in DDD is.) It's much more fun to play than KHII, and probably the first Kingdom Hearts but I love that game to pieces so I try not to make those comparisons. Then again I actually enjoy just how batshit stupid Kingdom Hearts plot got so I have a hard time judging how other people might react to it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bad Seafood posted:

The first Kingdom Hearts was good dumb fun and the GBA game was pretty alright.

From the second game on though it got way too wrapped up in itself for its own good.
The first KH was good, but the series went completely up its own rear end after that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The first KH was good, but the series went completely up its own rear end after that.

Agreed. The first KH is still a game that I break out every once in a while. Not so much with any of the sequels.

Still think ffix is better though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
anyone who thinks the first KH is the best one needs to remember that for most of the game, you have to run slowly to everywhere, the mandatory gummi stuff was terrible, and the menu system was crap.

god if I don't love it though

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Oh yes, the gummi ship sections are without question the biggest thing KH2 improved upon over the original. Instead of boring Sunday drives with occasional enemy-shooting and slow-obstacle-dodging, all that poo poo gets kicked up to mach speed in a fun and furious space shooter. It's great.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bufuman posted:

Oh yes, the gummi ship sections are without question the biggest thing KH2 improved upon over the original. Instead of boring Sunday drives with occasional enemy-shooting and slow-obstacle-dodging, all that poo poo gets kicked up to mach speed in a fun and furious space shooter. It's great.

I continually post that KH2 is the best Star Fox game since 64.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I continually post that KH2 is the best Star Fox game since 64.

Actually that's Kid Icarus

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I like KH2 the most even if that's when it had tons of really boring cutscenes. Then again they also added the ability to skip them, but I didn't play any of the games afterwords.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe it's because I play Dynasty Warriors but I feel like I've got a decent tolerance for button mashing. I really like Kingdom Hearts' combat system especially the QTEs because they're so flashy and dumb most of the time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe it's because I play Dynasty Warriors but I feel like I've got a decent tolerance for button mashing. I really like Kingdom Hearts' combat system especially the QTEs because they're so flashy and dumb most of the time.

This isn't as much of praise as I intended before thinking to say it because in retrospect Reaction Commands basically just activate JRPG cutscenes, but with Reaction Commands playing KH2 is like playing a JRPG cutscene. It's the same itch that Dissidia: Final Fantasy scratches.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
The QTEs are what made me primarily dislike KH2. That and the weirdo plot.

Also, I was one of those weird ones that actually liked the exploration of KH1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The original Kingdom Hearts had a lot of cool things, like using magic in the field to interact with the environment. Or getting bonus EXP by handling enemies creatively.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The original Kingdom Hearts was good because it was just a silly crossover game with no pretensions. Run around Disney worlds, fight Disney villains, have a couple Final Fantasy characters show up for fun, and hey, here's an oddly epic final boss thing. It was like Super Smash Brothers for Disney except an action RPG instead of a fighting game. Combat was simple but decently engaging, and the game's charming personality did a lot to endear it to people.

Then we get the sequel which kicks off reasonably enough but the longer it goes on the more it feels like someone taking their fanfic a little too seriously. The game itself becomes kind of a slog as well, what with revisiting everywhere twice, and you have all these bad guys with maybe one or two scenes before they die who I don't really care about because I just wanna trash Disney villains not these weirdos I barely know.

Then those weirdos we barely knew got their own game, then we got some sequel prequel thing, and now I need a flow chart just to figure out who's who because it turns out the series big bad guy has been like eight different dudes and everyone has at least one doppelganger or previous incarnation - sometimes more.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with KH is that it has an insane canon path from 1-2-3. Chain of Memories is a huge, missing piece if you brushed off this dinky GBA game as a harmless spin-off instead of the entire base of the Nobodies and Namine.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you didn't play Chain of Memories you're better off just reading a wiki article about the story because it takes less time to do that than it does to play the game and figure out it's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I liked Chain of Memories alright and even finished it, although I played the PS2 version instead of the original which obviously played completely differently and more akin to the base games.

• Locked thread