Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just give him the m4r file and iTunes will recognize it as a ringtone and will sync it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Any way to do it without iTunes?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

IuniusBrutus posted:

Any way to do it without iTunes?

Nope.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

robodex posted:

Yeah exactly, Kitkat was fine on Android but Lollipop was a loving nightmare. The best part is the memory leak was present in all public betas, so it wasn't like they were blindsided by it. It was just unforgivable.

Had the same problem here. I've always been an android user, but lollipop made me start giving ios a look, and when my nexus 5 started randomly getting into reboot loops of upwards of 3-4 hours I made the switch to a 6s.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also reminder that if you use Bluetooth for anything, android sucks

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Big City Drinkin posted:

Does 3D Touch on the 6s create the "click illusion" like force touch on trackpads? Like, does it feel like the screen is moving down when you use it?

It uses the iPhone's vibrate motor (which changed in the 6S) to provide a subtle vibration when 3D Touch activates. It's "haptic feedback" in the loosest sense, but it's certainly not the same as the click simulated by the new trackpads (which is downright creepy), and doesn't feel like the screen's clicking in the same way.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It does feel nice though. It's back to linear instead of rotational so it's actually just a magnet that gets moved by ~~ELECTRICITY~~ instead of an unbalanced weight being rotated, supposedly it gets up to full power in one oscillation. Now, I'm not saying pushing down on the screen FEELS like pushing down on a physical button (which it totally does with the trackpad), but it does feel pretty drat good. As far as feedback goes, I quite like it. 3D Touch is pretty great. It gives you a soft hit when you peek, a hard hit when you pop, it's nice.

It's also a lot quieter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

It's also a lot quieter.

Not in my experience, compared to my old 5 the vibrator in the six is like a jackhammer.

Like if I have my phone in the cupholder on my center console and I get an IM, I can feel the vibration through the shifter. It's faint but there.

I appreciate it though, the 5 was so mellow I could miss messages if the phone was in my pocket.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

Not in my experience, compared to my old 5 the vibrator in the six is like a jackhammer.

Like if I have my phone in the cupholder on my center console and I get an IM, I can feel the vibration through the shifter. It's faint but there.

I appreciate it though, the 5 was so mellow I could miss messages if the phone was in my pocket.

The 6 doesn't have the 'Taptic Engine'. Talkin' bout the 6s. As far as I know the 6 still had the rotating unbalanced weight thing, but dunno for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm preeeeeetty sure the 5s and 6 have the same motor which is different than the one in the 5. I don't like how quiet the Taptic Engine is, actually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

Talkin' bout the 6s.

So am I.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah, my 6s vibe is *so* much more subtle than my 5. Late night texts on my 5 could wake me up when it was on my bedside table. Sometimes I miss notifications on my 6s when I'm awake...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

So am I.

Well, you said "the six" so unless you're Drake talking about Toronto you'll excuse me for misinterpreting you.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

fourwood posted:

Yeah, my 6s vibe is *so* much more subtle than my 5. Late night texts on my 5 could wake me up when it was on my bedside table. Sometimes I miss notifications on my 6s when I'm awake...

Yeah I mostly miss them now, and I have used vibrate-only almost exclusively for yeeeears. Rather annoying.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is any ol' Mac with Xcode on it (aka not the computer my phone is synced with) good enough for this Flux side loading?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As long as it can run the latest Xcode, it'll be fine.

I ended up deleting it since I hated getting a bunch of notifications every time it changed the screen temperature. You can't even make it so they only show in Notification Center for it to work properly.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I ended up deleting it since I hated getting a bunch of notifications every time it changed the screen temperature. You can't even make it so they only show in Notification Center for it to work properly.

Yeah, if you disable notifications completely then the app will wake up the display to the lock screen every hour and not sleep again. I had it on my phone and iPad for 24 hours before deleting it - it's a great idea but the implementation's just too annoying.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Froist posted:

Yeah, if you disable notifications completely then the app will wake up the display to the lock screen every hour and not sleep again. I had it on my phone and iPad for 24 hours before deleting it - it's a great idea but the implementation's just too annoying.

I had notifications enabled, but I think having an Apple Watch made it so the app would always go to the lockscreen.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

I had notifications enabled, but I think having an Apple Watch made it so the app would always go to the lockscreen.

Ah, could be similar - I have a Pebble. It is mentioned in their FAQ that they need to wake the screen if you disable notifications though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Every one of mom's iOS things have 50+ app updates available going back many days. They all have app auto updates turned on.

What do you do if this feature doesn't seem to want to work?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Have you tried to install an update manually? I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't installing because "The iTunes Terms and Conditions Have Changed" or whatever that dialog is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Craptacular! posted:

Every one of mom's iOS things have 50+ app updates available going back many days. They all have app auto updates turned on.

My mom got a replacement phone and was flipping out at me because "restoring from iCloud" was taking days -- she never thought to hook the new phone up to the house's wifi.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Craptacular! posted:

Sign out then sign back in to the App Store, maybe.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
So on the recommendation of this thread I bought the Apple leather case for my new iPhone 6S+. What's the general consensus on screen protectors and getting AppleCare?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Braggo posted:

So on the recommendation of this thread I bought the Apple leather case for my new iPhone 6S+. What's the general consensus on screen protectors and getting AppleCare?

don't use one

it's ok but your carrier probably offers the same thing for maybe cheaper. i pay $6 a month and can report a phone as lost or stolen and get a new one for $200 (during the first 6 months) and then make a profit if i just pawn off my old phone for $300+ with a bad esn, but insurance fraud is not okay and illegal and i would never advise someone to do it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If you're gonna use a screen protector, get a glass one. That way you still get the feel of the original screen but also some protection from surface scratches.

And carrier insurance is usually garbage unless you lose your phone or have it stolen. If you break the phone, the out of warranty exchange price from Apple is cheaper than what you'll end up paying your carrier, and your carrier replacement will be a 3rd-party refurb (usually Asurion) that Apple won't touch if something goes wrong because they don't use Apple approved parts.

Seriously, gently caress Asurion. Every day we turn away at least 2 or 3 phone repairs because of a carrier refurb, and they're always Asurion. They always claim to use the highest quality parts, but then why is the glass delaminated from the display? Why does the screen instantly shatter when we try to remove it to inspect the guts of the phone? Why is there no serial number on your parts like Apple's parts? Quality parts, my rear end.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 14, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I moved over from the S6 to the 6S (lmao) Plus, and I'm already having a minor issue. The badge notification is stuck on the App Store. It's telling me there's four updates but there's nothing in there.

In the meantime I've just disabled the badge.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Skeezy posted:

So I moved over from the S6 to the 6S (lmao) Plus, and I'm already having a minor issue. The badge notification is stuck on the App Store. It's telling me there's four updates but there's nothing in there.

try restarting/force quitting the app and reopening it

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

As of...earlier today... maybe Safari has stopped respecting the physical silent/not silent switch. Is this a bug of a new setting I can't find? Other apps still respect it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sextro posted:

As of...earlier today... maybe Safari has stopped respecting the physical silent/not silent switch. Is this a bug of a new setting I can't find? Other apps still respect it.

This has always been the case, the silence generally only affects notifications and call sounds (and key tones), but not actual media playback - which is presumably the only reason Safari would make sound.

Except in one or two random apps that don't work this way, and need me to invite the phone to get sound.

I have seldom if ever turned off the silent switch.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Huh. Guess that shows me as basically never consuming media other than music, snapchat and Instagram on this.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skeezy posted:

loving lol I figured out why this happened. I turned off automatic updates for the App Store and didn't even realize.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 14, 2015

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Sextro posted:

Huh. Guess that shows me as basically never consuming media other than music, snapchat and Instagram on this.

Go to Settings > Sound > and disable the "Change with Buttons" toggle. Now the volume up and volume down will change the volume of your media.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Blinkz0rz posted:

Go to Settings > Sound > and disable the "Change with Buttons" toggle. Now the volume up and volume down will change the volume of your media.

:vince: TIL

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

noirstronaut posted:

report a phone as lost or stolen and get a new one for $200 (during the first 6 months) and then make a profit if i just pawn off my old phone for $300+ with a bad esn

What a surprise, you're an rear end in a top hat, I'm blown away.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I just restarted my iPhone (9.1) and it randomly deleted contact names out of my Messages inbox. Seemingly totally at random. The numbers and messages are there but the contact name / info is missing. Is this an known issue and is there a fix?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A coworker had the same problem. She just signed out of her AppleID, and signed back in. After a while they loaded back up.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
This is driving me nuts and there's probably an obvious solution to this but downloading/updating stuff from the app store/itunes takes extremely long when I'm on wifi. Like so long that if I were to download like a 2Mb app, it would take like a minute or two. I have a decent connection (50 Mbps down), and everything else outside the app store like streaming and downloading files is normal. Same for other devices in my network, there's no sluggishness. It's only when I try to download something from the app store that it shits the bed. When I go on data, it seems to work normally.

I tried rebooting it, hard reseting it, rebooting my modem and router, changing my DNS even and it still is slow as hell. I just tested this on my sister's iphone and the same thing happens on hers, so I'm thinking it might be my network. It's just weird as hell because everything else works perfectly. It's the just the app store/itunes downloads being wonky.

Has this happened to anyone before? What did you do to fix this?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've actually been having the same problem for the past few days. All of my devices have the same issue. I'm not sure what's going on with it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The App Store has been a nightmare since ios9. I have apps that refuse to download full stop for days.