Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

I took out boomer at Outpost Zimonja with my squishy science character. I took my first shot from the overpass so the mini nuke would sail past me, and then melted him with automatic weapons when he drew close. It was a cool firefight actually! I also reached level 11 for that character through that engagement.

Having situational awareness actually goes a long way towards winning fights in this game, I like it.

Should have fought him back with your own Fat Man, that's what I did. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Does the Robot Expert perk allow you to hack hostile robots? Can we trivialize Sentry Bots that way?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They have like three times as much HP as a Deathclaw, I think. They aren't much fun to fight on Survival.

I like them. They're a fun fight when you got a decent arena to fight them in.
They're also pretty fun to take on in melee, and then try to get the hell out of dodge before they explode when they die.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Starhawk64 posted:

Should have fought him back with your own Fat Man, that's what I did. :getin:

In the past 3 games I haven't used any heavy weapons or melee, and I don't think I'm about to start any time soon :colbert:

The balance for these encounters is actually pretty good anyway, you just have to choose a tactic and stick to it till your enemies' bitter end. I like that they purposely make it so that you can use hit n' run, sharpshooter, or guns blazing tactics for these bits because you'll notice there is always:

1) Plenty of cover
2) Huge sight lines from around it
3) Limited points of entry for bottlenecking if you want to take a melee approach and not get surrounded

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 14, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Noyemi K posted:

In the past 3 games I haven't used any heavy weapons or melee, and I don't think I'm about to start any time soon :colbert:

See I just read this as "In the past 3 games, I have not truly experienced fun"

Big explosions all day every day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TorakFade posted:

I am all maxed out on crafting perks and rifleman for level 15, and I have 1 point left to spend. What's a good perk to get? I have 6 CHA, 6 int, 5 luck, 4 per, 3 everything else

Kicking Perception up one more lets you get the explosive crafting Perk.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I've hit what I believe is my first game-breaking bug (as in I can no longer progress through the game) and my third bugged quest.

I'm hoping maybe I'm just not seeing something?

I just spoke to Dr. Amari and did the memories thing. The exit to the level is like 20 feet below the final memory, and I have no way to get to it. I reloaded thinking maybe a trigger broke or something but if it did it is still broken. Is there some secret loving path down to below the memory I'm not getting? the door doesn't open in the memory and the only walkway out of the memory is the one I came from, and backtracking all the way to the beginning does nothing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's really annoying me that so many of my legendary drops are just lovely pieces of armour that give -10% melee damage from mutants or some junk. Where's the exploding miniguns and reload-free fat men?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sigma-X posted:

I've hit what I believe is my first game-breaking bug (as in I can no longer progress through the game) and my third bugged quest.

I'm hoping maybe I'm just not seeing something?

I just spoke to Dr. Amari and did the memories thing. The exit to the level is like 20 feet below the final memory, and I have no way to get to it. I reloaded thinking maybe a trigger broke or something but if it did it is still broken. Is there some secret loving path down to below the memory I'm not getting? the door doesn't open in the memory and the only walkway out of the memory is the one I came from, and backtracking all the way to the beginning does nothing.

There should be a static image on the tv screen in the final memory you can interact with, try that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MooCowlian posted:

It's really annoying me that so many of my legendary drops are just lovely pieces of armour that give -10% melee damage from mutants or some junk. Where's the exploding miniguns and reload-free fat men?

Yeah the random prefixes thing was probably not the best way to do things, IMO.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Calaveron posted:

So I guess the joke with Piper is that she's a terrible interviewer, writer and all around journalist right?

I like Piper a lot as a character but holy poo poo is she an awful journalist. And I can't tell if it's bad writing on the part of the writers or if it's "supposed" to be bad.

Noodles, we all love them... I hope she starts every single article with two paragraphs about noodles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
She is legitimately a terrible journalist just like the DJ is legitimately awkward as gently caress.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Can terminals control speaker boxes? I'd like to wire up an array of speakers that plays a simplified "I Cannot Trust Any of Them" (Star Cruiser II/PC-98)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Random prefixes are fine, it's just that most of the armour ones are bad and almost all of my drops are armour. The problem is that armour by it's nature is passive so it doesn't really do much and needs more than a 15% stat bonus to some situation that you might well go hours without encountering.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I got one that reduces damage from super mutants and that's swell since they hit the hardest for me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

MooCowlian posted:

Keep an eye out in the wilderness because even the random wildlife can spawn legendaries and drop good stuff. I got an exploding shotgun from a radstag, the first legendary weapon I actually needed. :v:

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

Has there been any testing regarding how damage resistance works? I mean most people are saying that 10 points would be 1% but that doesn't seem right, since you get over 1k in power armors and they're definitely not immune to damage.
So far I've been just ignoring damage resistance because the system is unclear and legendary effects feel much more useful than actual protection. Krognak's costume looks funny anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Soral posted:

finally, a real use for the lovely coloured lamps that make it harder to see than if it were dark
You can customize the color on the mining helmet's lamp in armor mods.

You can also go into game options and change the pip-boy color to whatever you'd prefer for your pip-boy light to produce - since it is just turned up to max and giving you an ambient glow is why it's usually green but it doens't have to be...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

There should be a static image on the tv screen in the final memory you can interact with, try that.

Oh thank god, with the quest marker buried deep in the ground I thought it was bugged instead of poorly communicated.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LumberingTroll posted:

How do I open these files in FO3Edit? I have never messed with these before.

I got it open in TESVSnip, anything that would be better in FO3Edit?

E: I have no clue what Im looking at / for... never done any modding for the beth games.

I think you have to have fallout3 installed and then put fallout4.esm in the fallout3 data folder. I just use TESVSnip tbh,.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Anita Dickinme posted:

Is there a Mod Organizer for Fallout 4 yet?

Kinda!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/487/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I seem to have misplaced my dog. Last seen at Fort Hagen after following the trail. How can I find him again?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I got tired of bullet sponges on survival so I installed a damage rebalance mod. Now I'm doing 1x damage (0.5x by default on survival) and the enemies are doing 2.5x damage (2x on default). It still feels really easy. I'm running through faction quests, one shotting most human enemies with my railway rifle at around level 27. Did I just minmax too hard and will the game get harder soon again? Jeez maybe I should just put enemy damage up to 3x

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lady Naga posted:

Ahaha gently caress this raider power armour is stuck in a wall and I can't get it :allears: is there any way to move this with the console?
You can probably bring up the console, click on it, and type "moveto player" to teleport it on top of you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Minorkos posted:

I got tired of bullet sponges on survival so I installed a damage rebalance mod. Now I'm doing 1x damage (0.5x by default on survival) and the enemies are doing 2.5x damage (2x on default). It still feels really easy. I'm running through faction quests, one shotting most human enemies with my railway rifle at around level 27. Did I just minmax too hard and will the game get harder soon again? Jeez maybe I should just put enemy damage up to 3x

So the game was too hard and then you installed a mod to make it easier and now it's too easy? :psyduck:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do (or can you) you set up purified water at a settlement with no water source (which seems to be most/all of them)?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Chalks posted:

I didn't realise this but apparently entire sections of the game can revert almost entirely (maybe due to quest stuff?) even after you've cleared them.

I cleared super duper mart, including the power armour raider on the balcony near the entrance early on. Later I got the Brotherhood mission to clear that map and when I went back there all of the mobs had returned, as had almost all of the loot. It was really weird. Power armour guy was there again with his Fat Man etc - the only things that were missing were the fusion core in the basement and the armour on the brotherhood corpse at the end (both of which I looted on my first clearing)

I'm really rather surprised by this. I swear neither previous fallouts or skyrim worked this way and it's really weird to have everything respawn in a zone. Has anyone seen this happen elsewhere or is it just this one location?

Zones in Skyrim most definitely did respawn after a certain amount of in-game time, including items/containers except for unique things. This is why you couldn't just shove your stuff into random containers unless you knew they were "safe" or you'd lose it. The other Fallout games respawn enemies in zones every 72 hours, but not any of the items.

I've seen a lot of people surprised about this in Fallout 4, but it's definitely not new. I think Morrowind was the last to not do this at all?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

How do (or can you) you set up purified water at a settlement with no water source (which seems to be most/all of them)?

I don't think you can.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

There actually are explosive mini guns and reload free fat men. They're just much rarer because those weapons are fairly rare already.

Also, now that my obsessive power armor collection has been sated, I am in the minecraft stage of building up settlements and establishing trade routes. Some are farmland, some exist solely to produce purified water, and one or two are where I stop to drop off junk and craft.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

So the game was too hard and then you installed a mod to make it easier and now it's too easy? :psyduck:

Nah it's not that it was hard, I just read that Survival knocks enemy damage up to 2x and your damage down to 0.5x. I thought it was kinda lame that my damage output was gimped like that. In practice, having to shoot a raider 3-4 times with a bolt action isn't that fun.

I figured I could make myself more vulnerable as well to balance it out, but it doesn't seem to matter since I can just enter a room and pop everyone in the head before they can really react. But then again, maybe I should be having a very easy time against most gunners and raiders since I'm level 27. I guess I should go pick a fight with the BoS to get a challenge

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gonkish posted:

There actually are explosive mini guns and reload free fat men. They're just much rarer because those weapons are fairly rare already.

Also, now that my obsessive power armor collection has been sated, I am in the minecraft stage of building up settlements and establishing trade routes. Some are farmland, some exist solely to produce purified water, and one or two are where I stop to drop off junk and craft.

I mostly ignore my settlements until one gets attacked, then I go on a marathon of building walls and turrets there.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Zones in Skyrim most definitely did respawn after a certain amount of in-game time, including items/containers except for unique things. This is why you couldn't just shove your stuff into random containers unless you knew they were "safe" or you'd lose it. The other Fallout games respawn enemies in zones every 72 hours, but not any of the items.

I've seen a lot of people surprised about this in Fallout 4, but it's definitely not new.

It's weird, I'd always assumed that when something gets marked as "cleared" it was empty. Particularly with enemies outside of a location I had always assumed that if I've killed a boss somewhere that it'll be safe to walk that same path again without encountering the exact same boss dropping the exact same items.

Then again, I generally just fast travel everywhere so I'm not sure I ever put that to the test.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I seem to have misplaced my dog. Last seen at Fort Hagen after following the trail. How can I find him again?

Did you go into Fort Hagen after following the trail? I had the same problem, I followed the trail there and decided to then go back to camp and sort some poo poo out before returning. Dogmeat was nowhere to be found, so I summoned him with the console, only for him to immediately high-tail it all the way back to Fort Hagen. I went inside, did the next objective and then he was back to normal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

NESguerilla posted:

Water pump?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Minorkos posted:

Nah it's not that it was hard, I just read that Survival knocks enemy damage up to 2x and your damage down to 0.5x. I thought it was kinda lame that my damage output was gimped like that. In practice, having to shoot a raider 3-4 times with a bolt action isn't that fun.

I figured I could make myself more vulnerable as well to balance it out, but it doesn't seem to matter since I can just enter a room and pop everyone in the head before they can really react. But then again, maybe I should be having a very easy time against most gunners and raiders since I'm level 27. I guess I should go pick a fight with the BoS to get a challenge

ok. It should be no surprise that doubling your damage means you can kill things real fast, I guess, especially at high levels.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hot Jam posted:

I feel like I've been hacked and slashed and had my meat chopped for the last 5 pages of this thread.

The Fallout 4 Thread: Don't Get Taint Chopped

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I have a graphical question about this game. Foliage on my screen is incredibly distracting, looking "staticy" for lack of words. I have TAA on in the settings but grass and plants are still a mess to look at. What's causing this, and is there anything I can do in the Nvidia control panel to fix this? I've noticed similar issues with other games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minorkos posted:

Welcome to stalker gameplay. It's really easy unless you find something that's really tough, or unless you get ambushed.

If you always see your enemies first it's going to be really easy to kill them with high lethality combat, the game becomes about making sure you always get the drop on them.

You could go some way to improve this by limiting access to healing and ammunition, but high lethality is always easy if you shoot first.

Personally I'm hoping for some mods that add weight to ammo and make it more scarce, and slow healing down a bit further, also make stimpacks rarer, combine those with less bullet sponginess and you should get something a bit like stalker in terms of gameplay.

The AI could perhaps do with being more reactive as currently you don't aggro a whole nest of enemies at once, generally, if you did it'd be more challenging also, but it would make stealth a lot harder as well so I can see why they didn't do it. In actual combat the AI is quite good, but there's only so much you can do against a perfectly accurate player with a high powered gun.

On an unrelated note, my god they did some spectacular work on the lighting for this version of the engine. It's seriously some of the best lighting I've seen in a game and that it runs on my shitbrick PC is amazing.

Everything from how the sky looks in fog, to the beams, it's just really good to look at. I can't wait to see what some of the lighting overhauls can do, dark nights with high god rays and lightning storms are going to be incredible.

Also the sounds. Wow gunfire in the distance sounds really atmospheric, and thunder inside buildings has this gorgeous reverb to it.

With some tweaks this game could be incredibly atmospheric, it already does a lot right, it's just rather action packed.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 14, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I can't be the only one who thought survival mode was basically one bullet you're dead, one bullet they're dead. A bit like Metro's ranger mode. I was a bit disappointed that it's just a bullet-sponge mode. Hopefully there'll be a hardcore mode mod at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Lady Naga posted:

Honestly between the rape metaphor song, the racist song and the misogynist song maybe they should've been a little more selective with their soundtrack choices.

hm yes lets whitewash our game about the loving post apocalyptic future-1950s wasteland.

newsflash 1950s america was racist/mysoginist so naturally music from that era is aswell.

do you think wagners works shouldnt be performed because he was a huge antisemite?

• Locked thread