Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Alright. I just purchased Super Metroid on the Nintendo eshop and I'm making oatmeal then giving it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ralp posted:

I'm one missile tank short and I have no idea where it is!!!!!

while it ruined some of the fun, i was thankful for metroid prime 3's "show where every powerup is" endgame upgrade

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

while it ruined some of the fun, i was thankful for metroid prime 3's "show where every powerup is" endgame upgrade

zero mission once again gets it right with the map screen checklists in each zone if you've already beaten the game :smugbird: <--chozo

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
There is one upgrade in the water area of fusion that I never found. I don't know if it has anything to do with the shine spark sequence break that I could never pull off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I should play Zero Mission.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??

I'm almost done. We're ridiculously understaffed at work and I've basically been living there this week but I haven't given up!!!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caithness posted:

There is one upgrade in the water area of fusion that I never found. I don't know if it has anything to do with the shine spark sequence break that I could never pull off.

I don't believe there's anything but the hidden scene at the point.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caithness posted:

you definitely don't have to do that to get 100%, and I am not sure it even helps you in any way. it puts the word shinespark into metroid canon though :rant:

I found the missiles, it was a tank hidden in Maridia in the far wall of the spinning turtle room that I might have never known about. How come Samus doesn't save the turtles, that's what I want to know.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This game is great. They should just churn out a 2d metroid every year. Would be easy now with computers.

I have all the upgrades now i guess I'm almost done

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

it puts the word shinespark into metroid canon though :rant:
The room is non-canon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

This game is great. They should just churn out a 2d metroid every year. Would be easy now with computers.

NSM - New Super Metroid

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Metroid Maker

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

The room is non-canon.

Fine.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

please god no

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive played enough super metroid hacks to know that would be loving horrible

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Metroid Mega Man crossover. Could be sick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

This game is great. They should just churn out a 2d metroid every year. e

People do this and theyre all really bad.

Dec 26, 2012

Azraelle posted:

Metroid 1 has this weird atmosphere that is partially due to system limitations that the newer games lack, and that's why I still love it, even though it has some serious gameplay flaws

metroid 1 owns. everyone please play metroid 1

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

i did, it's called zero mission, and it's really good

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

01011001 posted:

this is one of those things like, "the book is better than the movie because it leaves everything to the imagination" right? I can understand how there's maybe a hyper-minimalist abstract sci-fi charm to the stark atmosphere of metroid 1. but the control and gameplay blows. I'm sorry

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ralp posted:

this is one of those things like, "the book is better than the movie because it leaves everything to the imagination" right? I can understand how there's maybe a hyper-minimalist abstract sci-fi charm to the stark atmosphere of metroid 1. but the control and gameplay blows. I'm sorry

The music's pretty sweet for an NES game. Mostly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the music in metroid 1 is really good. everything else about it sucks. it plays like loving rear end

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbf it seems like it was insanely ambitious for the time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

frank.club posted:

It's just that ambition was a very large quantity of mostly identical corridors and vertical corridors. Sometimes you get lucky and get a palette swap.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Metroid 1 owns

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

It's just that ambition was a very large quantity of mostly identical corridors and vertical corridors. Sometimes you get lucky and get a palette swap.

Yeah but it was running on either an arcade cab or the NES. Compare that to what they did on the SNES. Or even what they did on the gameboy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

it was certainly groundbreaking and crazy ambitious, it just doesnt hold up at all especially when it has a remake out there that is arguably the best game in the series

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We say the same stuff about metal gear 1

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

frank.club posted:

We say the same stuff about metal gear 1
MGS1 is still playable, just occasionally rough. Metroid is a beautiful, atmospheric game, but it's not that fun to play.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

MGS1 is still playable, just occasionally rough. Metroid is a beautiful, atmospheric game, but it's not that fun to play.

metal gear 1

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*has to use a password to start with the items i left off with, probably nowhere near where i was with no map, no energy tanks and only 30 HP that i have to grind local enemies to refill* this is the good metroid

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

The music's pretty sweet for an NES game. Mostly.

Kraid's Lair theme owns and its omission from Super Metroid is a tragedy

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but yet again Zero Mission does it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C43P5_N3KXA

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

metal gear 1
Oh! That makes way more sense.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ralp posted:

but yet again Zero Mission does it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C43P5_N3KXA

what a good game

whereas metroid dread, where the gently caress is metroid dread nintendo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh! That makes way more sense.

Yeah. Too bad MG1 never got a zero mission style remake

Bobnumerotres posted:

what a good game

whereas metroid dread, where the gently caress is metroid dread nintendo

Canceled forever. I think maybe passed over instead for Other M.

e: kinda wrong about that last part. Sakamoto said the game existed as a prototype in 2010 for a 2d DS game. But the studio that was working on it made a lovely game and they shelved the metroid title along with it.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 16, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

Canceled forever. I think maybe passed over instead for Other M.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Lol.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Lol.

at least the backlash was so bad nintendo basically had to apologize for the game existing and has never talked about it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blast Ball: Featuring Samus Aran as the ball

• Locked thread