Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sagebrush posted:

Hearing someone express islamophobic statements disgusts you more than the murder of 140 innocent people? :crossarms:

I really hope that's just some Poe's Law poo poo.

Look I'm not downplaying what happened...it is a horrible and senseless tragedy. What I am saying is that all I've heard from people so far today is stuff like (and I am not making any of this up) is stuff like "we should go drop a nuclear weapon on Mecca, teach them a lesson!" or, "if we go kill ISIS this will never happen again!". What will any of that solve? This isn't a problem that is going to be solved solely by driving up the body count after all.

I get the Poe's Law criticism but I live in a part of Canada that is so conservative (think of Texas but...more) I honestly can't tell anymore whether people are joking or not when they say poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrChips posted:

Look I'm not downplaying what happened...it is a horrible and senseless tragedy. What I am saying is that all I've heard from people so far today is stuff like (and I am not making any of this up) is stuff like "we should go drop a nuclear weapon on Mecca, teach them a lesson!" or, "if we go kill ISIS this will never happen again!". What will any of that solve? This isn't a problem that is going to be solved solely by driving up the body count after all.

Isis is not going to negotiate a peaceful resolution. So what, then?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Isis is not going to negotiate a peaceful resolution. So what, then?

That's the problem that nobody has come to realise yet - there is, as far as I can tell, no effective solution to this problem. Military force won't work because if you martyr these guys there are more ready to take up arms, either in ISIS or in successor organisations, which will spring up because this is as much a war of ideas as it is a war of states/quasi-states. Additionally, there is still little appetite in Europe/elsewhere to actually fight them, which would need to be a very long-term operation to have even a remote chance of success, and even that is likely doomed because our supposed "allies" (specifically, Turkey and Saudi Arabia) are at best complicit with ISIS and at worst covertly supporting them.

The other problem is, of course, there is no peaceful solution either that I can see. Through our own actions/inactions, whatever the case may be, we have created a monster the likes of which has never been seen before.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

That's the problem that nobody has come to realise yet - there is, as far as I can tell, no effective solution to this problem. Military force won't work because if you martyr these guys there are more ready to take up arms, either in ISIS or in successor organisations, which will spring up because this is as much a war of ideas as it is a war of states/quasi-states. Additionally, there is still little appetite in Europe/elsewhere to actually fight them, which would need to be a very long-term operation to have even a remote chance of success, and even that is likely doomed because our supposed "allies" (specifically, Turkey and Saudi Arabia) are at best complicit with ISIS and at worst covertly supporting them.

The other problem is, of course, there is no peaceful solution either that I can see. Through our own actions/inactions, whatever the case may be, we have created a monster the likes of which has never been seen before.

You're right, there is no peaceful solution. I don't advocate large-scale attacks often, but glassing a few hundred square miles of the middle east would send a strong message that this poo poo won't be tolerated.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This conversation can only go good places :allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cakefool posted:

This conversation can only go good places :allears:

Yeah, you're right. There's enough of that poo poo being kicked around everywhere else it seems. Sorry I brought it up in the first place.

So in what is likely to be a topic just as divisive; what's for dinner, AI?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i just ate a sandwich

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm eating loose hot italian sausage and cheese because I'm too lazy to go grocery shopping yet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I dropped my phone in the toilet today while talking to my dad, right as I finished pissing. I was a ninja though and fished it out and ripped the battery out in time. Put it on my radiator for an hour and now Im posting with my piss phone.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My belly's already full of Raising Cane's. Such a weird place. For those that haven't seen the chain, it has 4 items on the menu, Chicken Fingers, French Fries, Cole Slaw and Texas Toast. It sounds a bit ridiculous and the items don't seem to go together, but they do. God drat, they do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I made fish and chips and managed the culinary impossibility of chewy batter. I also picked up the wrong router and need to exchange it tomorrow before I can grievously injure myself. On the plus side aldi's pils is actually really nice and only £1.10 a bottle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had a pizza.

And half a bottle of whisky.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Was it from aldi? I'm morbidly curious if their super nasty looking spirits are drinkable

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

I gave yall something of beauty and all you can talk about is France.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Was it from aldi? I'm morbidly curious if their super nasty looking spirits are drinkable
Afraid not. Should've said whiskey, actually, as it's JD, both Aldi and Tesco have it reduced to £15 a bottle.

In answer to your question, all spirits are drinkable, but occasionally you need a few of the more drinkable kind to pave the way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Eh, it was OK. 6/10.

I'm feeling kind of lazy today when it comes to food today; thinking I might just hit the local pub for a steak sandwich or something. Of course, they also do a pretty awesome beef Wellington too...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

My belly's already full of Raising Cane's. Such a weird place. For those that haven't seen the chain, it has 4 items on the menu, Chicken Fingers, French Fries, Cole Slaw and Texas Toast. It sounds a bit ridiculous and the items don't seem to go together, but they do. God drat, they do.

Canes is loving delicious. You also forgot the best part - that goddamn sauce.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Have that playing in the background while I work on my PVC sim rig.

I'm impressed around 50 PVC fittings that I ordered online to picked up in store and they only messed up one tee fitting. Good thing I ordered two extra tee's.

Got everything cut which was a huge mess and pain the rear end. Next time I'm borrowing a miter saw or something because while the sawzall worked the cuts are lovely and it was messy as hell. Started piecing it together a bit, maybe finish up tomorrow.

Dinner is left over Papa Murphy's stuffed pizza from last night and probably rum because I'm not on call and it went good with the pizza last night.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Canes is loving delicious. You also forgot the best part - that goddamn sauce.

That goddamn sauce that works for both the chicken AND the fries. Yup, there's that.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
A parts store after an ISIS attack.

So much ignorance.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

There's a similar place around here called Huey Magoo's; they've got more options like wraps and such at the main locations, but the one on my college campus just has fingers, fries, toast, and some fantastic sauce that's probably just another variation on 1000 island/Mac sauce/whatever, but drat is it good.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

You're right, there is no peaceful solution. I don't advocate large-scale attacks often, but glassing a few hundred square miles of the middle east would send a strong message that this poo poo won't be tolerated.

It's not often that the internet makes me feel like i'm not a terrible person. Congratulations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

It's not often that the internet makes me feel like i'm not a terrible person. Congratulations.

Awwww, you flatterer. :wink:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's the little things you do together and share that cement a relationship, things you can sit together and enjoy.

Like ripping the piss out of 2F2F on the couch together.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

In answer to your question, all spirits are drinkable, but occasionally you need a few of the more drinkable kind to pave the way.

I've always liked you. Posts like this are why.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I've always liked you.
You'll kill me last, right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I binged on NCAP reports yesterday, no chance I want to chime in a panda anymore. Reasons I shouldn't get a Volvo C30 (shutupInitialdave)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

You'll kill me last, right?

If not last, at least quickly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

If not last, at least quickly.
If I wanted to die slowly, I'd smoke cigars and drink too much.

Cakefool posted:

Reasons I shouldn't get a Volvo C30 (shutupInitialdave)?
Oh, wait.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Was just using my leaf blower to mulch leaves (which makes it a leaf sucker in reality) and it sucked up something that it didn't like.

Big crunch, loud hum, suddenly I'm holding fire.

Time for video games. gently caress responsibility.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

On that note, gently caress sanding sheetrock above your head. Im patching my ceiling where we ripped out batton fitting lights and installed LED down lights. loving plaster dust in my hair, beard, up my nose and on EVERY loving SURFACE IN THE HOUSE.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Like ripping the piss out of 2F2F on the couch together.

Yup. I was on the couch talking to my three year old about how "the sun has gone down and the moon has come up."

My wife instantly follows up with "and long ago someone left with the cup."

Seemed like a perfect time to introduce the kid to Cake. :cool:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

On that note, gently caress sanding sheetrock above your head. Im patching my ceiling where we ripped out batton fitting lights and installed LED down lights. loving plaster dust in my hair, beard, up my nose and on EVERY loving SURFACE IN THE HOUSE.

Ceilings loving suck. Rocking them, mudding them, sanding them, painting them. It was the worst part of my office build.

I'm sure I posted this before, but I created the official AI drywall lift for the job (gently caress renting a proper one):

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I parted ways with a little bit of money.

Flat 6 diesel, 15 speed, proper tandems with proper drive. Midship mounted engine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have no idea what that is.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

I have no idea what that is.

its a bus.

Paramount pictures built the thing to haul grip equipment. I'm going to use the thing for an RV conversion/toy hauler.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What's it look like inside?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://imgur.com/a/L0H4x

Link of a few pix.

Going back to his house nextweekend to weld in the final crossmember, paint the frame and move it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geirskogul posted:

32 bit OSs still exist?

I just had someone email me at work having issues installing our product. They setup the repo correctly but they could not find the package, despite running a supported distro. Turns out they were running the i386 version of FreeBSD 10 for some ungodly reason.

I just realized this aw11 mr2 is still for sale, which is pretty much my perfect aw11. Mentioned it to my fiancee and her response was "So are you going to make an offer on it?", which I wasn't really expecting. Wouldn't want to ship it all the way from Orlando to Seattle, since that could be a fun roadtrip, but I don't know if I would want to do it during the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Buy that immediately

• Locked thread