Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mr Beens posted:

Can you explain the point of the episode and what happened at the end - are we all missing something?

Also I noticed another "Doctor says weird out of place thing relating to clara and death" - in the cold storage when the leader Geordie woman and Clara want to go back out The Doctor says some bit of poetry I guess? (bit of a theme this episode) about dying.

I actually can't remember without reading the script again, but I think it's been changed in the edit from the shooting draught so may not be much help.

Just remembered the how apt this episode being about the dangers of not sleeping was - I managed to scalpel a nice bit of finger off myself making Ep10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Scaring kids so they can't sleep after telling them the only way to be safe is sleep is top quality Doctor Who. Also running down corridors.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I enjoyed that. Ending felt a bit rushed but it was a good episode. I really like Shearsmith's costume and glasses, very sci-fi.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Echoplex, did you do all the little helmet projection graphics? Those were pretty nifty.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Scaring kids so they can't sleep after telling them the only way to be safe is sleep is top quality Doctor Who. Also running down corridors.

I was really hoping that the title would have been painfully literally - a monster that kills you when you sleep. Stay awake all night, and the monster can't get you.

The next week, The Doctor reveals that Mummy and Daddy don't love you anymore, and that Ruffles didn't go to doggy heaven.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What a load of shite

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They just couldn't give Clara a few good episodes in a row to end her run, could they :smith:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Echoplex, did you do all the little helmet projection graphics? Those were pretty nifty.

Nah, unfortunately. Motion stuff gets farmed out - I designed the layouts for some eps with an animator working on them, and for other eps (like this one) someone else did them all themselves. They were practical projections, which was nice.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it was, echoplex mentioned they put together a full Indo-Japanese alphabet but didn't think it was used, I was just saying I think it popped up towards the end on one of the computer screens.

It showed up on the computer the Doctor used near the start, and on a bunch of minor background things like readouts and projected screen things. I kinda prefer it just being in the background, it gives a subtle sense of a different society without making it the entire point of the episode - the future-society is a nice bit of setting without being directly responsible for all of the horrible things.

Tsaedje posted:

sHow IT to alL of your friends

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Found a cool graph to sum up my s9 thoughts

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

echoplex posted:

Nah, unfortunately. Motion stuff gets farmed out - I designed the layouts for some eps with an animator working on them, and for other eps (like this one) someone else did them all themselves. They were practical projections, which was nice.

Did the kitchen area reuse parts from the underwater episode?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was really hoping that the title would have been painfully literally - a monster that kills you when you sleep. Stay awake all night, and the monster can't get you.

The next week, The Doctor reveals that Mummy and Daddy don't love you anymore, and that Ruffles didn't go to doggy heaven.

Don’t sleep.
Sleep and you’re dead.
Don’t turn on your side.
Don’t close your eyes.
And don’t sleep.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Valeyard posted:

Found a cool graph to sum up my s9 thoughts

Cool wrong graph there.

I thought this one was pretty good myself!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Carbon dioxide posted:

Did the kitchen area reuse parts from the underwater episode?

Nah, all of the Drum sets were setbuilds, a lot of this one - including the kitchen - were location shoots.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Cool wrong graph there.

I thought this one was pretty good myself!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't particularly like this episode but my objectively correct and in no way opinion-based graph would have season 9 looking mostly like this:

Now that's good science!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was alright. Nothing special. Bit too similar to the one with the ghosts now I think about it.

Professor Fuckstick hasn't been a particularly interesting antagonist yet. Depends on the next bit I guess.

Monster design didn't seem particularly original, but I think they were done well. What you want from horrible goop monsters really. Also every so often I remember what they were made of and :barf:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They were actual Sand Vagina monsters, yet another poke at the fandom

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 15, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wait a minute, that wasn't a two parter? I assumed it was. Well that's a load of shite really. Where was the resolution?

Also drat it, it should have been set near Uranus instead. There weren't enough laughs in this episode.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Mostly pretty meh. Shearsmith did creepy well, but the monster premise was pretty silly (sleep dust... animates? Wut? By change sin brain chemistry that stop you sleeping so sleep dust builds up. Except sleep dust only builds up WHEN you sleep. Umm?). I can see where they're going, trying to latch onto the same kind of paranoia-inducement that the Weeping Angels brought, but I really didn't see it. It would have been much better without the blob monsters, and with the sleep pods being a direct vector for some kind of brain takeover plotline, rather than a bizarre dust monster creation... thing.

I liked the point-of-view camera stuff, that was pretty fun, but I pegged that the dust could see very early on. I liked the monster design a lot, too, though they felt a bit out of place in this episode. And the sleep pods etc; the Mr Sandman theme had real potential to get proper creepy I think.

Also, how pathetic a supersoldier was that, that running through two feet of low flames killed her to death? Without burning her clothing, but with burning her face. But the animated organic dust monsters weren't affected. Wut?

But overall, it was trying to evoke Weeping Angels-esque paranoia, and it just... didn't.

Nonetheless, one of the better episodes of this series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't particularly like this episode but my objectively correct and in no way opinion-based graph would have season 9 looking mostly like this:

Now that's good science!

I will only be happy when we get a quality graph of Doctor Who's works in the shape of a dick

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gatiss has said he has a sequel planned for Sleep No More.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

please...no...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I've finally reached the "gently caress Gatiss" stage

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I welcome potential resolution but good God I hope the follow-up is better than the set-up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chris James 2 posted:

I've finally reached the "gently caress Gatiss" stage

Maybe he was too taken aback by the overwhelming not-negative reaction to The Crimson Horror and Robot of Sherwood and wanted to ensure he would never be showrunner.

I do quite like that the central conceit is a conceit: it's supposed to be a found footage horror piece. That, and the "but we don't have cameras" like are legitimately clever. Shame about basically everything else.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That sure was a thing. It made no sense, it didn't grab me emotionally, and the conclusion was really confusing. Shame Gatiss apparently handed in a first draft, and forgot to write an ending.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i always appreciate episodes that try to do some different things, so... uh, it was okay, i guess, sort of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Terrible but still better than the last 4 episodes.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

So is Clara going to die of becoming an eye-mucus monster?

That was a strange sentence to type even for Doctor Who.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I actually liked that one. I'll like it less if there's really never any follow-up on that ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sleep No More gifs:

That's about all that really stood out to me :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess it was an okay episode.

I didn't hate it or anything.

I liked it better than the previous two but not as much as the two before them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What, did Joe Lidster write this?

Terrible.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

What, did Joe Lidster write this?

Terrible.

Too many survivors, and not enough companion trauma for a Lidster :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The ending did have a serious Lidster vibe though - the Doctor is gone and none the wiser as the villain gloats cruelly about how now they're free to do their evil unhindered. It's the only reason I was happy to hear Gatiss apparently has a follow-up in mind.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The_Doctor posted:

bit presumptuous that is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

OH WOW

457 was Bethany Black.

So way to go, show. Cast your first trans actress as a tragic biological abomination.

As they say on Tumblr, yikes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

OH WOW

457 was Bethany Black.

So way to go, show. Cast your first trans actress as a tragic biological abomination.

As they say on Tumblr, yikes.

I'm fairly certain that if she felt the role misaligned her at all, she'd have been the first to say so.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

On the one hand, yeah.

On the other hand, when you're in the sort of position she's in, getting typecast and stuff, you take what you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All I could think about the whole time is that a machine that makes you not have to sleep would make a great premise for a Black Mirror episode.

• Locked thread