Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

St Kilda Breakwater by dunos, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjTL_88wHY&t=21s

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

woman catches man filming her genitals.
impressive

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Battle of the Selfie Sticks by Cacator, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Crack posted:

A brick jointer is a similar price but it doesn't mean I should buy one.

You're not interested in a brick jointer though, are you?
If you are, you should get it, since it's only $5 (less than a pumpkin spiced latte).

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I guess my point was, with too little emphasis on it, I am poor. I make my own coffee and wouldn't buy a pumpkin latte, nor would I want to pay for something of low quality. hi liter has convinced me to give it a go though, so I'll pick it up when I have a little more time to watch it the way through.

Are there any really recommended documentaries or anything that kind of explain the entire process of the photographer? Being new to this I'm not sure really how to find interesting subjects, do you just wander around random streets / hills until you find an interesting subject or is there some level of planning involved? I watched Bill Cunningham's documentary which was very interesting but doesn't really address what I'm looking for.

e: Woops, forgot this was the street photography thread, that question was more for general photography rather than street in particular. With street photography it's not really an issue anyway as you are hanging around the street until an interesting subject pops up.

Crack fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 9, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've seen the B&H youtube photo series, they're pretty good and cover many different topics:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9dfmI5G_OxsUKEcnH3CSoWxvzPNxqQV

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion, I will be sure to check those out. I was going to say a couple jump out at me as beng particulary interesting, but honestly there's too many I want to watch to mention them all. I think I'm going to start with "from snapshots to photography" since that's pretty much where I am right now.
It's great to have something new, free and informative to watch every evening which will hopefully much improve my photography.

After realising this was the wrong thread I asked the same question in the "my first dslr" thread as I thought it would be more suitable, I hope you don't mind I quoted you there as there was someone else also interested in this kind of stuff.

So if anyone else has any more suggestions it would probably be better to post them there to stop this thread getting off topic, but I really do appreciate any resources to improve.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea mang it's all good.

Also, stop by the book thread, good suggestions there as well, but cost money unless you got them in a library

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Golden Gai, Tokyo by Cacator, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Haven't done much of this but kinda getting the hang of it. I still have to get over just randomly photographing people without feeling like a creep.

20151113-CRW_1557 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

20151113-CRW_1433 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

20151004-CRW_9270 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Haven't done much of this but kinda getting the hang of it. I still have to get over just randomly photographing people without feeling like a creep.

20151113-CRW_1557 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

20151113-CRW_1433 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

20151004-CRW_9270 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

Way over processed. Say no to sepia (it can be done right, but this is not the case).
Third one looks like it had HDR applied to it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

bobmarleysghost posted:

Way over processed. Say no to sepia (it can be done right, but this is not the case).
Third one looks like it had HDR applied to it.

I took the third one a little over a month ago after I had recently started using Lightroom. I just took a quick look at the original file and you're right, I was doing all sorts of funky stuff like kicking the clarity and vibrance sky high, min/maxing highlights and shadows, etc. I have been looking at it for a month without thinking about revisiting it, and after tweaking it quickly to reverse some of those early mistakes, I can see immediate improvement.

The sepia was a bit of an experiment, as I find myself going to black and white so often. I was kinda trying to make up for weak composition and force interest with the sepia/desaturation, which is gimmicky, which is a bad idea.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 14, 2015

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I haven't shot much that I've liked recently, so it ends up here.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Night Moves by Cacator, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
This thread still sucks.

SE Hawthorn Ave, Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
NW 21st Ave, Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

god this whole subforum needs to be deleted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Musket posted:

This thread still sucks.

That PBR sign is obnoxiously distracting, combined with the pool table not being straightened ruins a good shot.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

That PBR sign is obnoxiously distracting, combined with the pool table not being straightened ruins a good shot.

I didn't notice either of those things.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Musket posted:

This thread still sucks.

:stare:

EL BROMANCE posted:

:jerkbag:

akadajet posted:

I didn't notice either of those things.

exactly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh I was just being snarky to fire back at the 'this thread sucks' part, but if your eyes didn't notice one of the brightest parts of the image you should probably go to an optician.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Look, just because you can't appreciate the aesthetic quality of a hunky hipster doesn't mean you have to ruin it for the rest of us.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Look at this loving loser he can't even get his image straight and his subject centred. He should just loving give up already

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Wild EEPROM posted:

Look at this loving loser he can't even get his image straight and his subject centred. He should just loving give up already

Image is straight, rule of thirds applied.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

if there's one thing that needs straightening it's me after seeing that photo!! :gay:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just imagine your rear end is where the pool balls are.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Hovering Under the Manzanita by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

I wonder how many colours these people are seeing right now.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

thats a good pic

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm the crooked wall outlet

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Rise from my Shitpost!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
^ oh look cars from the year you last made a good post

waiting for lunch
by Jimbo, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Bethany, NW Portland by Anthony Shade, on Flickr

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

Bristol, December 2015 by dunos, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8th-snype posted:

^ oh look cars from the year you last made a good post

:saddowns:

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

Santa Run, Bristol, December 2015 by dunos, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Market St. by David Shen, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

This is cool and good, but my brain wants that line on the left side to be vertical.